test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Colony Fleet Holding

sesnrs122101sesnrs122101 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Fleet System and Holdings
I remember reading the upcoming content where it said the next fleet holding would be either a colony, dilithium mine or an outpost. So I got to thinking about which one I would like to see as the next fleet holding. The outpost would be ok but a lot like the star base I thought. The Dilithium mine may help offset the cost of dilithium on other fleet holdings. The more I thought about it though the more it seemed a colony would be a great idea. Even though the dilithium mine was the actual choice. I still think a Colony fleet holding could be an outstanding edition that could provide some variety to the fleet system in general.

The current fleet holding are fine but they are all so uniform. Even though they can differ slightly depending on what your fleet chooses to work on more. They more or less are the same. However, a colony could be done differently. By adding different choices for your colony; such as perhaps you would like a Military type colony that would provide high end weapon upgrades and tactical consoles, or something like a colony based on Engineering that developed advanced warp cores and such for the fleet. Sciences colonies could also lead to high end shields or something along those lines. You could also boost your DOFF system as well with special duty officers. You could even set up subsections of the colony that perhaps focused on security, espionage, medical, operations, exploration etc. This could help create some variety for the fleet that would separate them from others.

Things could also to keep things level by allowing once the colony reaches a certain population, or tier, or level, or something the fleet could purchase and expansion (another colony site on the same planet) That way while every fleet could vary what they choose everyone could still have the option to have access to every variation. I think this would add a nice element to the game not only as a way to gain high end gear and DOFF's and such but it could allow the fleet to see their colony grow and take shape and then visit another fleets colony and see something totally different.

Would this be a large undertaking most likely but I think it could add something really special and unique and a star trek feel by establishing roots on a strange new world.
Post edited by sesnrs122101 on

Comments

• earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lol, ok, I choose to put my colony (Fed side), on the Klin home planet!!!:D:D:D
    But really, I think it's an idea worth exploring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They've confirmed or strongly hinted at the next holding being military related, and that it will be released early 2014.

Since Dilithium Mines are moving right along their time table might move along with it and be released later this year along with the next season.

My guess is that with the next holding, that fleet tactical consoles will be available. I am unsure to the extent of what they will release since not all science or engineering consoles were included in the embassy and dilithium mine. I wish they would just add fleet variates of everything. I guess they do know however that half the consoles they have in the game are trash and aren't worth the time.
    pvp = small package
  • sesnrs122101sesnrs122101 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yea I had seen that too it will probably be some outpost or something like that. Those tend to lean more toward the military side of things. I didn't mean for this as the next fleet holding I just thought overall this would be a nice way to go and expand and give the players a different and more engaging aspect when it comes to fleet holdings overall. And my guess is they would set another system like they have for the dilithium mine and the starbase, but I still think watching the building crop up as you begin shaping how you want your colony to be would be a nice advantage to all the work that goes into all of the fleet holdings.
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well mate if they are following the commendation categories from the DOff system (which many believe that they are) then have no fear since Colonization is one of those categories.
    pvp = small package
  • rovakiinrovakiin Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For KDF they could do a Prison Colony (like Rura Penthe) where you could get bonuses to things like Marauding and Espionage assignments, or something similar.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Military related... a Forward Operating Base on some Borg-occupied world in Gamma Orionos?
    edited July 2013
    I didn't think of the prison colony one but that is an excellent idea for the KDF side of things. For the Romulans even though they don't have their own thing and have allied maybe a small refugee type camp could be made as an add on to your colony if you chose to do so.

I know the Military outpost thing is coming up next and I too believe it will most likely be in the Gamma Orionis block I only meant this colony idea as a fleet holding at some point not to be the next fleet holding. It just seemed something different to change up the same grinding every fleet does working on the same projects this would help add some variety into the mix.
    edited December 2013
    I've seen a few other threads about a colony type fleet holding. I still think the strategy to choosing which path your fleet will take (tactical, science, or engineering). Having this be a sort of base of operations even if they do pursue the idea of letting the players run their own group of ships using bridge officers. Also in addition to what I would consider a great influx into the game to watch a planet grow and take shape with the choices the fleet makes they could also add some planet bank where the members of the fleet together or separately have a place to store their non combat pets that are stacking up in some inventories and banks. They could even have it so the pets are shown running around on the planet. Maybe even have a fleet project where you can set up areas for the different kinds of pets (eppohs, horta, birds etc). I know this isn't going to happen anytime soon but I still believe this would be a great addition to an already great game.