test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy Pack Availability Update

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited August 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We are excited to announce that the Romulan Legacy and Starter Packs are now available via the in-game C-Store!

Learn more about these incredible packs here.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• a90211a90211 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'll be interested when you put the lifetime sub in the c-store. say for 30,000z (that still adds up to $300 in the end; but you would be able to buy it with prepaid cards :D )
  • sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    a90211 wrote: »
    I'll be interested when you put the lifetime sub in the c-store. say for 30,000z (that still adds up to $300 in the end; but you would be able to buy it with prepaid cards :D )
    I don't think they would ever do this because you could convert dilithium to zen in game to purchase a lifetime sub for free. If i am wrong about this someone correct me.
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sjamesh wrote: »
    I don't think they would ever do this because you could convert dilithium to zen in game to purchase a lifetime sub for free. If i am wrong about this someone correct me.

True but there is potentially very little difference between that and this. I could get this and not pay a penny.

Now I realize that a lifetime subscription comes with 500zen a month but surely they could leave that out of the c-store version?
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sjamesh wrote: »

You do know how much dilithium that is right? Approximately 3,300,000 going at a 110 dil to 1 zen ratio.

Assuming you have only 3 character slots, it would take you 138 days, refining 8000 dilthium a day, to have enough to convert over.
    pvp = small package
  • otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *bangs head on desk repeatedly*

I bought it 3 weeks ago.

Then, it goes on Steam Summer Sale

and now it goes into the C-Store like I asked months ago.

Are you trying to make me loose the last of my "sanity" :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxzuEM8puNQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    otakuboyt wrote: »
    *bangs head on desk repeatedly*

I bought it 3 weeks ago.

Then, it goes on Steam Summer Sale

and now it goes into the C-Store like I asked months ago.

Are you trying to make me loose the last of my "sanity" :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxzuEM8puNQ

LOL. Nope just your money.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • deathkgtdeathkgt Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You do know how much dilithium that is right? Approximately 3,300,000 going at a 110 dil to 1 zen ratio.

Assuming you have only 3 character slots, it would take you 138 days, refining 8000 dilthium a day, to have enough to convert over.

No offense, but you are not grasping the concept. Most of the legacy stuff could've been bought thru the c-store already. Lifetime is based on monthly subscription fee, which has never been put on c-store. It's also not that hard for an experience silver player to grind 30k zen in less than 2 months. PWE needs to make ACTUAL money, they don't live on Zen.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Or 40 days if you have 10 characters, which isn't all that uncommon.

1) Buy Master Keys
    2) Open Boxes
    3) Get Dil Claims
    4) Doff Contraband
    5) Turn Contraband into dil
    6) Refine
    7) 39 more times
    8) Buy Lifetime Sub
    9) ????
    10) Profit.

Or

1) Use expoited foundry dil
    2) Lifetime Sub
    3) ???
    4) Profit.

They want LTS to make money, not be a dil/zen sink.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We are excited to announce that the Romulan Legacy and Starter Packs are now available via the in-game C-Store!

And still no mention of them being 25% off on steam until the 22nd. Good advertising, guys.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Mentioning the prices would have been nice.... :o

I wish there were a way to upgrade to the Legacy Pack, I bought the Starter Pack and everything else separately.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why has the Dilithum in Zen conversion been installed anyhow?

I mean people grind Dilithium for a few thousand k on one day and convert it into Zen.
    That was a boomerang effect when the owner gets hit himself.

If that could be worked out, that the Store can decide of Zen had been paid with real-life money or in-game currency, then it wouldn't be a problem I think to implement the LTS.

I bet a good database could see the difference.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    Mentioning the prices would have been nice.... :o

I wish there were a way to upgrade to the Legacy Pack, I bought the Starter Pack and everything else separately.

Thanks for the feedback and concern! The link in the OP to the packs has the price, and they are the same* price in-game when using ZEN conversion (e.g. $10 USD = 1000 ZEN) (*well, they are +.01 cent USD in-game -- website = $159.99 USD and in-game = 16000 ZEN).

Cheers.

Brandon =/\=
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I want to be Rihansu
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • theuser2021theuser2021 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Omg, When the Legacy Pack was originally on sale I passed on it because I bought a bunch of Zen right before it was available, I asked if it would ever be possible to buy with zen back then and it was a flat out no, and now it's for sale for zen ROFL. You guys are killing me :P.

I think to myself, is it truly free if somebody buys a legacy pack with zen gained from sale of dilithium? The only "free" source of zen in this game I can think of comes from people who are lifetimers who get their monthly stipend. Ignoring present value calculations (because Cryptic did get a large initial lump sum in exchange for the five dollar monthly perpetuity) a lifetime sub is 300 dollars a pop, a 500 monthly zen stipends (5$) is worth 300 dollars in 60 months or five years. In my opinion even after ten years Cryptic would still come out ahead on those lifetime sales because they got their money upfront. Nearly all zen is bought by someone, so the general theory is that even though you earned your zen through selling in game items, someone else (or multiple people) payed Cryptic for you to enjoy that content, And in return they got your valuable dilithium. Saying somebody got a Legacy of Romulus pack for free is somewhat misleading because you are ignoring the huge time investment involved.

I'm guessing that the Legacy pack being available for zen could be an experiment for Cryptic. Because you know if the packs sold well they'll most likely try it again in the future. I like rtk142 comment, consider it the ultimate STO challenge! :D
    edited July 2013
    Omg, When the Legacy Pack was originally on sale I passed on it because I bought a bunch of Zen right before it was available, I asked if it would ever be possible to buy with zen back then and it was a flat out no, and now it's for sale for zen ROFL. You guys are killing me :P.

I think to myself, is it truly free if somebody buys a legacy pack with zen gained from sale of dilithium? The only "free" source of zen in this game I can think of comes from people who are lifetimers who get their monthly stipend. Ignoring present value calculations (because Cryptic did get a large initial lump sum in exchange for the five dollar monthly perpetuity) a lifetime sub is 300 dollars a pop, a 500 monthly zen stipends (5$) is worth 300 dollars in 60 months or five years. In my opinion even after ten years Cryptic would still come out ahead on those lifetime sales because they got their money upfront. Nearly all zen is bought by someone, so the general theory is that even though you earned your zen through selling in game items, someone else (or multiple people) payed Cryptic for you to enjoy that content, And in return they got your valuable dilithium. Saying somebody got a Legacy of Romulus pack for free is somewhat misleading because you are ignoring the huge time investment involved.

I'm guessing that the Legacy pack being available for zen could be an experiment for Cryptic. Because you know if the packs sold well they'll most likely try it again in the future. I like rtk142 comment, consider it the ultimate STO challenge! :D

Your calculations are off, a lifetime subscription offers full gold member status, not just a stipend. Divide 300$ by the cost of a monthly subscription ! :P
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited July 2013

And there I was, hoping you were going to announce the Scimilar had been added to the Legacy Pack. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • theuser2021theuser2021 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    Your calculations are off, a lifetime subscription offers full gold member status, not just a stipend. Divide 300$ by the cost of a monthly subscription ! :P

I had actually considered that, and it was a valid point, until they went free to play. I was also taking into consideration the scenario where one buys the LTS today. Considering LTS and gold subscriptions what do you get other than the stipend? Some services currently available on the zen store, some mediocre ships from the veteran rewards (not even fleet quality, plus they'll charge you modules when they get around to adding the fleet varient) and lots and lots of cosmetic stuff. I can't help but to look at 95% of the LTS and veteran rewards and say how on earth is that worth 300 dollars? It was when the game was 15$ a month to play. The Legacy pack is half the price (120$ on steam!) and it gets you so much, much more it's not even funny.
    edited July 2013
    I had actually considered that, and it was a valid point, until they went free to play. I was also taking into consideration the scenario where one buys the LTS today. Considering LTS and gold subscriptions what do you get other than the stipend? Some services currently available on the zen store, some mediocre ships from the veteran rewards (not even fleet quality, plus they'll charge you modules when they get around to adding the fleet varient) and lots and lots of cosmetic stuff. I can't help but to look at 95% of the LTS and veteran rewards and say how on earth is that worth 300 dollars? It was when the game was 15$ a month to play. The Legacy pack is half the price (120$ on steam!) and it gets you so much, much more it's not even funny.

Free to play or not, subscriptions still exist and cost money. Wether they are worth it or not is an entirely different matter though. :)
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    deathkgt wrote: »
    No offense, but you are not grasping the concept. Most of the legacy stuff could've been bought thru the c-store already. Lifetime is based on monthly subscription fee, which has never been put on c-store. It's also not that hard for an experience silver player to grind 30k zen in less than 2 months. PWE needs to make ACTUAL money, they don't live on Zen.

Oh I am grasping the concept quite well.

Other games sell their subscriptions and such for ingame currency and are quite successful. See EVE.
    pvp = small package
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    :eek:

KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

i already bought all of the Ships at the sale with Zen that had piled up... just because... :mad: :rolleyes: :D

*head > desk*

no title, no DOffs... *sigh*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Is it worth it?

First you have to realize that everybody plays the game for different reasons. Some people play it to buy costumes. Some people play it to collect all the ships. My reasons for LTS:

1. I play multiple alts
    2. Free Respecs on ALL alts
    3. EC limit

I still don't understand how people complain about the dilithium limit. Sure, if I focus on one alt I can hit it, but there is so much more to do, that its not a issue for me. Although I did use the Dilithium Refinery perk on an alt that got the Rom Rep bonus.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Other games sell their subscriptions and such for ingame currency and are quite successful. See EVE.

EVE is a subscription based game.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/29/eve-evolved-could-eve-online-go-free-to-play/
    While the PLEX system technically lets people play for free, it actually has none of the major benefits that a free-to-play game reaps from its business model. The thing that makes free-to-play games so successful is the extremely low barrier to entry; people can just download the client and get straight into playing with no time limit and no risk. The massive money in microtransactions comes from millions of such players each investing small amounts of money here and there on minor things like cosmetic items or circumventing grindy gameplay.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    so, I guess this was just false?

Q: Will either of the packs actually be sold in the C-Store?
    A: No, the packs are and will only be available for purchase via our Legacy and Starter Pack overview page here.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=606891

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    jengoz wrote: »
    so, I guess this was just false?

The FAQ was correct at the time, but the plan changed and the packs were put into the C-Store based on player feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • deathkgtdeathkgt Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Eve start off as a subcription base game, there is no way to grind in a free trial period that much ingame currency to get free monthly subscription. You literally have to pay 3 months of subscription to be able to get to a point when you're able to grind out consistant ingame credits to payoff monthly subscription fees. In STO, you started off F2P and can grind to get character slots and then grind for more zen in less than 3 months. After without having to pay a cent. BTW EVE has no LIFETIME membership, like I said again, you don't understand the business concept.
  • midgardsygramulmidgardsygramul Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I know this is not the place for it, but since I am denied the possibility of creating a new thread to place my question, I will place it here anyhow:

Am I the only one who is thoroughly annoyed by the fact that the Launcher doesn't even provide a "Launch Button" and that the patch Button isn't animated, so that after I klick it I can more or less only pray and hope that it might start the game, because I cant get a proper feedback? Animated Buttons have been around since Windows 3/11 so why couldn't they use one like just every other game-Launcher I know?

I know I am a newcomer to this game, and as a Trekkie I should enjoy this (at time I did), but instead I am just about to leave again because of the amount of little annoying things like this. (ad "you cant open a new thread, and you cant sent a pm to a Forum-Admin" to the list!)

The reason I am writing this now by the way, is that my launcher currently doesnt function, when I started the game about half an hour ago I said something about versionincompatibility and ask that I patch and restart. Patching worked, but ever since I cant start the game all it does is going through the patching-routine.
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are there future plans to release the non-ship stuff seperately. Or perhaps a third bundle of the legacy pack sans all the extra ships?

I really want that stuff but the ships are just a waste of money for me, save for the fighter.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • umbagloumbaglo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Am I the only one who is thoroughly annoyed by the fact that the Launcher doesn't even provide a "Launch Button" and that the patch Button isn't animated, so that after I klick it I can more or less only pray and hope that it might start the game, because I cant get a proper feedback? Animated Buttons have been around since Windows 3/11 so why couldn't they use one like just every other game-Launcher I know?

I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean. There is a launch button, and it does highlight (or turn off when it's not possible to interact with it). You are not supposed to click it until it says "Launch", because it is automatically attempting to check your patch status and then patch. If you're having trouble launching, it could be because you are telling the launcher to stop trying to launch.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Does the C-Store purchase unlock the forum titles as well as in-game titles, or just the latter?
    PyKDqad.jpg