test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleets

vilifiedvvilifiedv Member Posts: 26 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Academy
Hi, I am new to STO (Level 16) and completely addicted. I am curious about Fleets.

Is it a good idea for a new player, like myself, to join one or should I complete a good amount of the story line first?
Post edited by vilifiedv on

Comments

• Options
    thelastlegatethelastlegate Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was recruited right out of the tutorial.
    Being in a fleet has really helped.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    In what regard? How did the Fleet help?
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi there...

I'd recommend joining a fleet. If for nothing else than other people to ask questions as you level... build advice, etc.

More to the point, this game doesnt do a good job teaching team dynamics for missions... thats where a fleet can help.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well fleets can help you in many ways. If you have questions about a mission The guys in the fleet will be able to answer. Need help with a mission you cant beat? Ask your fleet and several people will join you on it and run the mission and its over with fast and your on to the next one. While at the same time the guys who joined you are pointing out hidden bonuses and accolades you might not have found on your own.

At least this is how it happens in Nova Elite. Even when some one at Vice Admiral level has issues, (I have a graphics problem with some areas and all I get is black screen and the gui. I ask and one of the guys will join me and run the mission for me as I cant help at all.) The help is there.

These are just a few of the ways a fleet can help you out.

That being said, of course it depends on the fleet so don't just join one because it has a T5 Starbase or you like the name. Join one that fits your play style and is willing to help out.

In other words before joining one do a bit of research, and ask one your thinking about joining if you can fly with them a while. And if you end up joining one that turns out you dont like it, you can always leave it.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The best Advice I can give you is try joining a fleet and spend a couple of weeks getting to know that fleet and finding out if you're a good fit for each other. I would advise not making any holding contributions till you've decided one way or another. The last thing you want to to have given them loads and then realize that they are not for you. You might need to try a few out for size, but when you do find a good one it'll make the game that much better for you.

Incidentally if you are looking for a fleet, why not try out the Alpha Quadrant Patrol. Send me a message in-game to pip@peetapipmac and I'll send an invite.

(I know, shameless)
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for all the input everyone.
  • Options
    hank900hank900 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Fleets? good question... Things to watch out for that I don't like in a fleet.

1. When you have to pay a high amounts of EC to the bank every month.
    2. Fleets that make you pay just to get fleet items.
    3. Big egos on the part of the "Command"

To me those are signs to get the heck out of dodge. There are a lot of good fleets out there that will take care of you and treat you right. Find one and stick with it until you feel like its time to move on. Good luck
    http://www.1279sto.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    axellightningaxellightning Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah for a new player a friendly fleet over an accomplished one is best. Some fleets WILL demand that you contribute; and that's all fine and good if your okay with that and have plenty of resources.

Nice to see people giving good advice :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thelastlegatethelastlegate Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How they helped (I will not name the fleet this is not a recruitment attempt)
    I was talked through gearing up my ship at low levels
    was issued mkII body armour and shields for 5 characters (me and 4 boffs)
    was allowed to take some mk II weapons that were in the bank
    Guided through my first few missions by a much more experienced player but not actually sharing the mission basically a live walkthrough
    Taught to activate my zone chat (do gorn minefield and buy three zen then log out and back in again) And mail .
    Since then I have been helped every time I needed it
    Back up on tough missions , assistance with lay outs , someone even covered my back while I Explored a high risk map
    The fleet guys are my family they have my back I have theirs
    Should say that these days im on the leadership of the fleet one of the elected senate.
    No one gave me a problem about being bad at combat to begin with , no one demanded anything

Guys if you see this I salute you
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A fleet is only as good as the members and leadership.

I joined a guild one time and despite being a long-time member and one of the first epople that they recruited outside of the 'inner circle', I was immediately made into a second-class citizen the moment that the group decided that they were going to change focus.

This is something that can always happen unless you are the leader.

So be careful. Find a fleet that works for you and not one that simply asks that you work for it.

And always, always be prepared to leave it. Not just because one day you wake up and want to join a fleet with a better starbase or whatever, but because one day the fleet that you are in may be quite different from the fleet that you joined.

As long as you are willing to do that, then it should be okay.

This is probably why I am not in a fleet.
    I was so put off by the whole experience, and hated leaving what I had helped build up so much, that I have simply not been motivated to try the same again in any game that I have played.

Some of those fleet ships seem nice, though....
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A fleet is only as good as the members and leadership.

I joined a guild one time and despite being a long-time member and one of the first epople that they recruited outside of the 'inner circle', I was immediately made into a second-class citizen the moment that the group decided that they were going to change focus.

This is something that can always happen unless you are the leader.

So be careful. Find a fleet that works for you and not one that simply asks that you work for it.

And always, always be prepared to leave it. Not just because one day you wake up and want to join a fleet with a better starbase or whatever, but because one day the fleet that you are in may be quite different from the fleet that you joined.

As long as you are willing to do that, then it should be okay.

This is probably why I am not in a fleet.
    I was so put off by the whole experience, and hated leaving what I had helped build up so much, that I have simply not been motivated to try the same again in any game that I have played.

Some of those fleet ships seem nice, though....

Being honest, if you were upfront, about joining a fleet, just to get a fleet ship, and were willing to either donate a bit to a project, or to the fleet bank (or maybe just some time helping another person in that fleet), there might be a few that would be ok with you using up a provision or two, buying a fleet ship, and some other items. (Without charging you an arm & a leg, that is)

To the original post, there's been a lot of good advice on this thread. One of the key things, I think, is to find and join a fleet that will enhance your game time, to where you enjoy your time spent with them, and with the game.
    And if you find a bad fleet, don't let it sour you on the whole prospect. Just take your time, relax about it, and remember, no one can force you to come to a fleet, or stay in one if you end up not liking it or have problems. And if you end up in a fleet you don't enjoy, but it's not actually a "bad fleet", just one you're not meshing well with, let at least one person in a command position know why you're leaving, that way, they might change their intro, or be more clear on the fleet info page, as to what they're all about, so another person doesn't have to go through that experience.

Well, hopefully you find a fleet you like, and Happy Hunting! (*Bows*)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    raslekx626raslekx626 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i got in mine before i hit 50 wich helped me a lot! they answerd my build quistions gave me there personal prefrace but told me that some people like things this way others the other and help me get the funds to try them for myself. fleet gear is useful like the wepons for your ship are best in game for energy wepons and they give you people you get to know that you can play with understand how they play and overall make better people to team with
    To understand the underlying philosophy of the Sith. The dark side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must SEEK POWER ABOVE ALL ELSE WITH NO RESERVATION OR HESITATION.