test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another OS Question

snebzsnebz Member Posts: 46 Arc User
Has anyone gotten STO to work on an OS that came out BEFORE Windows XP?
I am.....
THE HAPPY ADMIRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by snebz on

Comments

• hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Windows 2000 can run almost anything XP can. It install directx up to 9.0c (officially, 9.0c, which STO requires, is XP-only, but it will install without complaint on 2000), and most drivers are the same between 2k and XP.

Anything older will be a lost cause - between directx version and simply not having drivers available for hardware anywhere near the minimum requirements it's pretty much a lost cause.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Windows 2000 can run almost anything XP can. It install directx 9, and most drivers are the same between 2k and XP......

However, Windows 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft, and shouldn't be used just because of the vulnerabilities to viruses and trojan applications...
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Both of which are outdated OS's. It would be wiser to upgrade to another version of Windows.

Edit: Ninja'd
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why would you have a OS older then XP?
  • snebzsnebz Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not at the moment do I have one, but, if you look on Ebay, older OSs like 95, 98, and 2000 are so cheap.

hevach wrote: »
    Windows 2000 can run almost anything XP can. It install directx up to 9.0c (officially, 9.0c, which STO requires, is XP-only, but it will install without complaint on 2000), and most drivers are the same between 2k and XP.

Really!? I was 99% sure STO wouldn't work...

If I ran all this together, you think STO would run?
    Specs:

Intel PENTIUM E8400

CORE 2 DUO

3.0 GHz Processor

2 GB Ram

80 GB SATA Harddrive

SATA DVDROM-RW

Integrated Sound

EVGA nVidia GeForce 9800 GT Akimbo

Hi-Speed Ethernet LAN (10/100/1000 Mbps.
    I am.....
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    snebz wrote: »
    Not at the moment do I have one, but, if you look on Ebay, older OSs like 95, 98, and 2000 are so cheap.

Yes they probably are cheap, because older versions of Windows are no longer updated by Microsoft. So you'd be opening yourself up for security vulnerabilities as already stated.

If you have that spec on your computer. Get a decent OS to handle it.
  • snebzsnebz Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If I install DirectX 9 + all the updates I can get, what are the chances STO will run?
    I am.....