test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please Stop with Stealth Updates.

lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
Cryptic, you've been making changes to the game without including them in the Release Notes.

Some are real minor, even beneficial. Like in today's patch you've fixed the Lohlunat Tribble so that it has it's own icon in the power tray (instead of looking like a Winter Tribble). Others are major, include new unannounced (on your own forums/website) restrictions, and introduce horrible bugs, like the Mail update.

There have been others in the last few months, but these are two that come to mind as having happened recently, and provide two extremes examples of game changes that were not mentioned in the Release Notes.

Please stop this Stealth Update practice. Please inform your customers of changes you are making.

Thank you.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes please. Ignorance is not bliss.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh my god yes.

I'd rather it be in the patch notes than sprung on me. Ship releases should be in the patch notes as well. And everything that cryptic says on twitter should be said on their OWN FORUMS/GAME/WEBSITE before it makes it to twitter.

My guess on the stealth nerfs/lack of patch notes is that if they put all of their bug fixes that we would see that the game has some serious problems.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    marthitamarthita Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can mention more.
    1) Doff stacking exploit fix with the Risa Summer release.
    2) Start assignment button behavior change for S7 release (probably to mitigate #1).
    3) Season 7 release change to the way you pick assignments to cancel. It would default to the one above the one you just cancelled, the changed it to be the top and therefore newest one.
    4) They somehow screwed up with the Exchange's code with today's patch, because the lag this afternoon was beyond horrible.
    5) Stealth behind the scene mail update a couple of weeks into LoR

Now for #1 and #2, I understand hiding the updates, but you should release the info once it's completely fixed (The delay is still there, they just implemented a duplicate assignment checker). For stuff like #3, I know you guys think it's minor, but if you accidentally press the cancel button twice, you end up canceling the assignment about to end. If it was a 2 day assignment, poof, gone. Updates #4 and #5 annoy the heck out of everyone and we have to start threads up to figure out what the heck is wrong.
  • Options
    tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, the girl (zer0nius) who used to do the update patch notes got reassigned a couple months ago, so maybe the new guy (salami) is still learning...

I do miss zero's occasionally funny notes that got slipped in. ;)
    edited July 2013
    Well, the girl (zer0nius) who used to do the update patch notes got reassigned a couple months ago, so maybe the new guy (salami) is still learning...

I do miss zero's occasionally funny notes that got slipped in. ;)

Salami did it before her so he knows what he is doing. However he collects the notes from other people so somewhere along the chain certain things can just get put in but someone just forgot to list it.

the risa tribble for example. not only would that be incredibly easy to forget to mention on anyone part, im surprised anyone even finds that an issue. changes to how the mail work are far more important and should be included.
  • Options
    vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I blame it on a poor Team Leader. He or she should make sure nothing is forgot, slipped or missed.

Like the Trophy feature being missed on the new Romulan/Reman Ship model interiors or KDF allied Rom/Rem having the ability to Replicate Photonic Duty Officer via your CXP Rank/s.

As well as making sure good intell is posted on changes and/or fixes. As they'll note some but not others, which I do find strange.

Its sad but I dont think there's anybody keeping track of what feature are already in the game and what has and has not been done. It sorta feel like they are targeting stuff that people just "remember" or is fresh on 1 or 2 peoples mind in place on whats wrote down on a white board/chart.

-V
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The mail restriction was annoying, but it may not have actually been part of any patch but rather a change that was done server side. If it was not part of a patch it would not be in the patch notes.

Still, there should have been some kind of documentation.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Transparency is a GOOD thing.

Even if it's a relatively crude footnote, these changes should be listed.
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    NO Worries people! Servers will be back up in 10mins!:D

"This is Admiral BumBleBush!..Captain of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've had the same impression with every single patch since LoR. Please stop this practice Cryptic. Intended or not it's very annoying.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While at it, were the Odyssey and Bortasqu new 3-piece console set bonuses mentioned in ANY release notes? Cause I was quite surprised to see this change. Not a nerf by any stretch, but still, a stealth update.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the Stealth Updates.
    ...I do miss zero's occasionally funny notes that got slipped in. ;)
    As CaptainRevo pointed out, Salami did the Release Notes prior to Zero, but I agree Tpolebreaker, she had a funny sense of humor about it that I miss, too.
    the risa tribble... im surprised anyone even finds that an issue. changes to how the mail work are far more important and should be included.
    The fact that it wasn't properly imaged or that it got fixed, you're right, is incredibly minor especially when compared to the Mail fiasco. The reason I brought it up though is because it's still an example of an update/fix that occurred in-game, but was not included in the Release Notes.

As I tried to explain in my OP, I'm simply demonstrating that the lack of transparency in this Stealth Updates Issue run the gambit from tiny to huge.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I do not like stealth updates, but it is becoming common practice in the mmo world now.
  • Options
    foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dislike stealth updates, even when they are beneficial. Sneaking them into the game and not telling us about them is really unprofessional. How would you like it if you took your car to the mechanic and they took out your subwoofers, broke your radio dial so that you can only listen to Classical, and also reupholstered your interior with a pleasing shade of tan leather? BUT didn't tell you about it?

In other words, people are going to ***** about the patch notes no matter what you do, but, they will complain even more if you patch stuff and try to hide it (unintentionally or not).
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gaalom wrote: »
    I do not like stealth updates, but it is becoming common practice in the mmo world now.

Sad really that STO is trying so hard to be like every other MMO out there but in their defense 'stealth' changes to the game does play into the entire Romulan transformation of STO- shady, silent and self-serving just like a good Romulan. Heck, they even changed the name of the game to 'legacy of Romulus'.

Sheesh, I feel so dirty defending those devs
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    While at it, were the Odyssey and Bortasqu new 3-piece console set bonuses mentioned in ANY release notes? Cause I was quite surprised to see this change. Not a nerf by any stretch, but still, a stealth update.

What changes were these?

And I agree, all offical cryptic messages should be on the forums, not twitter or facebook, and all changes in a patch should be noted at some point in time. If its an exploit you are fixing, I can understand not putting it in until later, but everything else should be in there.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If, per the DEV comments, their data indicates a cannon / tac nerf is really needed then a stealth update is the about the only way they can swing it to dodge the uproar. Maybe this is a test of what we will accept so they can get away with what they want to do without hassle. Will we sit quietly? I reckon so but I wish they would keep game mechanics changes in the open just so people understand what they are doing in play.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I shouldn't think their missing Release Notes has anything to do with a conspiracy to hide what they're changing, with the possible exception of plugging exploits.

In regards to the latter, I think it should still be noted (as they've done in the past) with Release Notes that read something like: "A fix was made to XYZ to prevent an exploit. The current version of XYZ is now working as intended." Often this would be followed by a one-line "friendly reminder" that utilizing exploits are bad, Mmm'kay, and can get your account-banned, so just say No.

Honestly, I think the chief reason for the missing Release Notes probably boils down to human "error". Someone forgot to list a change on their turn-in report, someone didn't follow-up, someone wasn't keeping proper notes while updating... Stuff like that. I really doubt there's any malice behind the failings.

• Options
    zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I shouldn't think their missing Release Notes has anything to do with a conspiracy to hide what they're changing, with the possible exception of plugging exploits.

In regards to the latter, I think it should still be noted (as they've done in the past) with Release Notes that read something like: "A fix was made to XYZ to prevent an exploit. The current version of XYZ is now working as intended." Often this would be followed by a one-line "friendly reminder" that utilizing exploits are bad, Mmm'kay, and can get your account-banned, so just say No.

Honestly, I think the chief reason for the missing Release Notes probably boils down to human "error". Someone forgot to list a change on their turn-in report, someone didn't follow-up, someone wasn't keeping proper notes while updating... Stuff like that. I really doubt there's any malice behind the failings.

Having been through the whole SWTOR thing back in beta and launch, missing release notes will never boil down to human error in my mind again. They can tell you if they want.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Another reason why this is so annoying is that you can't tell the difference between actual bugs and (bad) stealth updates anymore.

Take STF's for example:
    - are the drones on dope whizzing around as intended in the conduit or is it a bug?
    - is the hive bugged or is that intentional? Or did some intention go wrong?

We'd like to know! And we want it fixed! Fixed before you care about unimportant things like nerfing discoballs!
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not fully communicating all changes creates mistrust.

Please stop the Stealth updates. Whether you think it will or won't affect the gameplay... chances are that it WILL.

Welcome to the world of software development and customers relations. Full disclosure, full trust.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Another reason why this is so annoying is that you can't tell the difference between actual bugs and (bad) stealth updates anymore.

Take STF's for example:
    - are the drones on dope whizzing around as intended in the conduit or is it a bug?
    Excellent point and example. I've seen many player posts about STF Spheres spamming EPtE and their silly zipping around, but I do not remember any Dev posts (or Release Notes) about it.

As you say, is it WAI (ie Stealth Update), or a bug we should be reporting/expecting to be fixed. (I sincerely hope the latter. It's not the spheres are really that much tougher to kill (for "good" players), but it is incredibly annoying and insanely stupid to watch.

• Options
    lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    After 3 years and 5 month of cryptics work, now i have a complete different perception. Cryptic don't implement bugs. That's all new features for us to discover.
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There are obvious abuses of Stealth Buffs and Nerfs, the most egregious is the changing of the firing arcs of cubes and the sudden appearance of invistorps some time ago.

Did the new NPC powers upgrade (Their constant spamming of EPtW 2) get listed in any release notes? Not sure...
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Agreed on stopping stealth updates to the point of not spending any more money on the game till I feel the practice has ended. I might be wrong as my memory is scetchy going back to when temporal ambassador came out but has there always been mirror universe ships fighting you along side the Tholans? Are these maybe tholan ships that have lost there skin?
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    After 3 years and 5 month of cryptics work, now i have a complete different perception. Cryptic don't implement bugs. That's all new features for us to discover.
    Do we get an accolade or some other achievement unlock if we find them all? :P

:D

• Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Personally i'm in full agreement that if a change is made, they need to put it in the patch notes, this silent management is a terrible thing and will only make people mad, just look at how bad it is over on champions online. Its always the bad changes too that they fail to mention in the patch notes, which just gives it even more negative feedback.

I do think that they need to be more public with their patching as well as with their list of known bugs as well. There are way too many in game right now and it would be nice if they had a place on the forums were we could see them all as well as what's being worked on.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ...I do think that they need to be more public with their patching as well as with their list of known bugs as well. There are way too many in game right now and it would be nice if they had a place on the forums were we could see them all as well as what's being worked on.
    Glorious idea! They do sometimes include a "Known Issues" section on the posted Release Notes. I wish the Gameplay Bug Reports subforum had a Sticky with all known bugs, and their current status, maintained by the Devs.

>shakes head<

I may as well wish to win the Lottery, I probably have a better chance at that.

:rolleyes:

• Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic, you've been making changes to the game without including them in the Release Notes.

Some are real minor, even beneficial. Like in today's patch you've fixed the Lohlunat Tribble so that it has it's own icon in the power tray (instead of looking like a Winter Tribble). Others are major, include new unannounced (on your own forums/website) restrictions, and introduce horrible bugs, like the Mail update.

There have been others in the last few months, but these are two that come to mind as having happened recently, and provide two extremes examples of game changes that were not mentioned in the Release Notes.

Please stop this Stealth Update practice. Please inform your customers of changes you are making.

Thank you.

If you read the first section of the terms of use. It does clearly state that they reserve the right to eliminate, discontinue or change content at their discretion, with or without giving players notice. No matter what is said regarding the point you have raised, by creating an account and playing STO you have electronically agreed to allow this to take place. Yes I agree it would be nice to know everything, but we have basically signed an agreement to allow PWE to make changes at their discrestion.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    eazzie wrote: »
    If you read the first section of the terms of use. It does clearly state that they reserve the right to eliminate, discontinue or change content at their discretion, with or without giving players notice. No matter what is said regarding the point you have raised, by creating an account and playing STO you have electronically agreed to allow this to take place. Yes I agree it would be nice to know everything, but we have basically signed an agreement to allow PWE to make changes at their discrestion.

Frankly.... I don't care. Those "agreements" aren't read by anyone and a lot of the stuff that is usually to be found in such agreements is legally doubtful anyway. Furthemore I am a customer. As a customer I like to know my product. With any other product in the world you get informed of changes. Even if not required, it's a matter of respect. Something I'm missing here.

Maybe we should start a "stealth update thread" ourselves to keep tabs on PWE/Cryptic. I can add another one:

- Floaters don't show inertial behavior anymore when started up