test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questions About Online Chat.

razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Academy
I am very new to the whole chat thing online. I tried it before on the Xbox 360, but everything was pretty much simplified. You just plug in a headset and your good to go. However, I am unable to do that on the PC.

Someone is letting me use their desktop that is hooked up to a LCD TV. It is all the way on the other side of the room, and I cannot afford a mike or headset. I do have a Surface RT tablet.

I have looked online, but I cannot figure out if there is a program that will let me use the Surface Tablet for chat, while playing the desktop. I looked up the mumble site, but as far as I can tell, it will not work.

If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. I am use to playing split-screen on the consoles for the most part, so I am use to talking to the person I am playing with. I am not fast at typing, so by the time I type out HELP, I have already been killed, and most likely the fight is over.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks,

Tim.
Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
Post edited by razar2380 on

Comments

• f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    the game does have a built in voice chat feature, but it doesn't really work because most people don't use it. Unfortunately, like most MMO's, STO isn't really designed to be played as a console type game.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Depends on which chat you are talking about.

For voice chat, Most individual fleets, teams, or groups have their own dedicated Teamspeak, Mumble, or other VC system they use. It offers private, controlled voice chat at a superior quality to what the game has build in. You will have to check with each individual service to see if it will work with your set up.

For Text chat, unfortunately, it is built into the server and into the game, so directly split-screening it is impossible. However, there are some programs that allow you to tap into the global channels remotely and access them on any device with or without logging into STO proper. However, this only applies to global chat channels and cannot work for Local, Zone, Fleet, or Team channels.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just found out that I can use my Xbox 360 controller (wired) with the 360 headset plugged in. Don't know why I didn't think to search for that to begin with.

So, I installed mumble, but I don't know how to open it. Does anyone have any experience with this program? I can find the file, but when I double click on it, it opens a file folder, and I don't know which file to click on.

And thanks to both posters above (f9thaceshigh, and kyeto13) for the help.

Tim.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
    edited July 2013
    I got some online help in setting up mumble for my Win 8. I would like to test it out, if some one will be willing to let me join real quick to test it out, I would appreciate it. I need to make sure I did the set up correctly.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would like to know how to disable the ingame voicechat provided by STO.
    My game is constantly stating;
    You have joined a voice chat channel
    You have failed to join channel
    You have joined a voice chat channel
    You have failed to join chat channel

Over and over again, all day.

Can we disable ingame voice chat?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Voice chat has its own tab in the options, top option is to disable it entirely.
    edited July 2013
    If you disable it in the STO options menu, can you still use programs like mumble?
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Disabling Voice chat in STO will not affect Services like Teamspeak. I have never heard of mumble but as its a separate program, It also will not be affected.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck