test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Use of the Risan Floater Outside Risa

bigrat12334bigrat12334 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
With the coming of the new event, the Risa Floater is now available to buy with the Lohlunat favor currency. But, this device is only operational in Risa. And this event is only running 35 days. The current value of the high-end floaters can be worth over 25 million EC in the exchange. It seems to me this is a bit high priced for something that is only usable 35 days. If these floaters were planned to serve some other purpose than the event this would seem much more reasonable. *And as starakus pointed out below, the code already put into this would be a shame to be wasted.*

My main point of this post is to suggest a possible ground fleet action, PvP, or STF that uses these floaters in a flight combat scenario.

Thank you for reading, and to the Dev team, Please consider.

*I just noticed another similar topic farther down the forum, I appologize, I must be blind..*

*Edits*
Post edited by bigrat12334 on

Comments

• voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    With the coming of the new event, the Risa Floater is now available to buy with the Lohlunat favor currency. But, this device is only operational in Risa. And this event is only running 35 days. The current value of the highend floaters can be worth over 25 million EC in the exchange. It seems to me this is a bit high priced for something that is only usable 35 days. If these floaters were planned to serve some other purpose than the event.

My main point of this post is to suggest a possible ground fleet action, PvP, or STF that uses these floaters in a flight combat scenario.

Thank you for reading, and to the Dev team, Please consider.

So what's the suggestion? You're asking them to almost completely redesign coding op top of designing and creating new content based on it, so where's your suggestion of how these might be used in Ground Fleet, PVP, or STFS as you said in your post?

Call it first time poster hazing or whatever you'd like but I'm calling you out on this one just to see what ideas you come up with on how it could be used. So come on give it your best shot what's you're scenario ideas? You're idea already gave me an idea for one so you should have some too I'd imagine. And while we're at it, why does it have to be just ground based, why can't you have an EV suit outfitted with one of these instead of just the reaction thrusters? See what you started. :)

By the way, welcome to the forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brentnewlandbrentnewland Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    So what's the suggestion? You're asking them to almost completely redesign coding op top of designing and creating new content based on it, so where's your suggestion of how these might be used in Ground Fleet, PVP, or STFS as you said in your post?
    suggest a possible ground fleet action, PvP, or STF that uses these floaters in a flight combat scenario.

Pretty clear to me.

And "completely redesign coding" is something you pulled out of... thin air... due to a lack of understanding programming.
  • starakusstarakus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The code is already there, in fact the opposite is true here. This seems like a waste of code for only 35 days use. It is coded to not work or to shut off indoors when flying from outside so no ESD floater spammers. Its quite nice code and it is pretty much all I like about the summer event. I could see this being useful if you die in that borg mission with the long windey road and have to run all the way back to your team, or in Mine Trap to get to another group if you have evacuated all your civilians already. You could disable weapons while in use or even better it would make for some great ground pvp if it were enabled. It would be great if it worked on regular maps. Throw it on Tribble and see if its overpowered in any way. I don't see how this would be of any advantage accept for a time saver, especially if weapons were offline during use(edit* and captain powers).

Additional maps perhaps in the future, tailor made, for use of pack with weapons. (mountainous maps, ground version of shuttle/walker stf, flying with floaters instead of shuttles fighting Romulan swooper thingies etc.)
    Future upgrades to include the swoop attack you see in the early Romulus missions of the drones swooping in and taking captives. Perhaps a swoop, pick up, and drop, 3min cooldown..

Some of the future ideas would take more code but the basic idea of letting people get around faster on big open maps like nimbus III and New Romulous a whole lot less painful.

Plus you get to save some code on all that "beam back to starting point", even if it is a just a copy and paste job with landing point. The New Romulus teleporter stations and people attending them could go bye bye saving some code space and some polygons. If its outdoors they will have a jet pack, so no need to tp, if you don't have one, then walk, people will learn quick. In hindsight it would be more work to take the old stuff out than to put the new stuff in but I digress..

Its a great bit of code and some great art department stuff going to waste. Reminds me of star trek V where Spock flies up to Kirk mountain climbing. This would make me upgrade to a better pack, otherwise I don't see why anyone would bother for 35 days use.

Make it so!
  • starakusstarakus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The really sweet part about allowing floaters is for any new map development its a simple flag, Allow_Floaters=True, or similar.

-No teleporter location map placement.
    -No more lists to fill out or landing points to add.
    -less confusing for players ( I hate the teleporter system)
    -oh plus they are fun :)

oh the joy!
    edited June 2013
    Pretty clear to me.

And "completely redesign coding" is something you pulled out of... thin air... due to a lack of understanding programming.

No actually I understand coding just fine, however it's clear you don't. What the original poster is asking for it the ability to fly using the floater as well as being able to fire your weapons and other abilities which currently cannot be done. All of the code limiting the floaters from being able to do those thing would have to be removed as well as new interactions, animations for some parts, and various other coding modifications would have to be done.

The Risa Summer event map was specifically designed based around what they wanted floaters to be able to do and not do, other maps don't have that so it would either have to be specifically built into new maps and the floaters wouldn't be usable on any older maps, or they would have to code all of the different parameters into the floater to allow it to be a universally usable item.

Some parts are clearly done using trigger zones, while others are pure coding, I'm referring the modifications based on the pure coding aspect.

The problem with older maps is they weren't designed with flying players as a consideration and there are a lot of gaps in the invisible walls that players tend to find from time to time. Vulcan for example has several areas were either the invisible walls or the terrain allows players to access sections unintentionally or where there are wholes in the terrain itself.

The simplest solution would be to just restrict floaters to only maps that are specifically designed for their use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bigrat12334bigrat12334 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem with older maps is they weren't designed with flying players as a consideration and there are a lot of gaps in the invisible walls that players tend to find from time to time. Vulcan for example has several areas were either the invisible walls or the terrain allows players to access sections unintentionally or where there are wholes in the terrain itself.

The simplest solution would be to just restrict floaters to only maps that are specifically designed for their use.

Which is why I suggested STFs or PvP maps, maps that can easily be added without altering the storyline.
  • vasco56vasco56 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The jetpacks would be awesome for missions like 'Boldly they rode' on the outside of DS9 or to get around the exterior of the dilithium mine - in fact anything involving EVA suits.

None of these involve combat, so it wouldn't be game-changing
  • otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, floater PVP and new floater missions would be cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I both agree and disagree.
    I disagree they should be able to be used outside of Risa.
    However I do think that they should be able to be used in the Normal Risa instance outside the event.
  • bigrat12334bigrat12334 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I both agree and disagree.
    I disagree they should be able to be used outside of Risa.
    However I do think that they should be able to be used in the Normal Risa instance outside the event.

Could you elaborate on why not? I respect your oppinion, I am just curious what your reasoning is?
  • igorche81igorche81 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Floaters are lots of fun. I love them. And it would be shame to be limited to just 35 days in a year. For me they are more worth then a ship. An ugly one if i might add. I don't really need floater on Fed Academy or any other map but New Romulus. Man that map is a pain in the... you know what. So Risa event, Risa default and New Romulus. That's all I want.
  • sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If I had to guess, the devs will make the floaters available for use elsewhere. Just look at the EV suit. It started off as only used in one mission. I believe it was "Boldy They Rode". Now you can use them on Nukara, Vlugata, and your fleet mine.
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I strongly agree that we should get a chance to use them outside of the Risa summer event. In fact I went to the old Risa map and it doesn't work there :(

I would recommend starting out with social maps first: Bajor, Vulcan, Andoria, Starfleet Academy and Q'onos First City. Maybe merge Risa regular map with the Risa summer event map??

If that works out, then expand it to combat maps like Defera Borg Invasion, the Tholian dailies, STFs, and spice up some of the ground combat areas. I know that in "Cutting the Cord" (Romulan feature episode) and "The Undying" and "A Fistful of Gorn" (Romulan Republic storyline), a floater would be extremely helpful to get to places.

I don't know how long you guys have been playing computer games, but I had great fun in Duke Nukem 3D with a jetpack and an RPG. It's a hoot just gibbing lizard troopers from the air! :cool:
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
    edited July 2013
    I wish Cryptic would clarify the issue. I'm sitting on a pile of favours I'm not willing to spend in case they announce that the floaters can be used elsewhere after the event.

Being told they can days before the end of the event is likely to cause the death of smaller toons as they get killed in the rush for the dance floor!
    edited July 2013
    Floaters CAN NOT be used outside of the Risa Summer Event map nor will they become usable outside of the Risa Summer Event.

The maps have to be specially tailored for the floaters. The invisible walls that limit player movements in older maps where only designed for the height that a player can jump. Every map would have to be completely modified before they could decide to allow floaters on them.

What Cryptic could do is create more maps specially designed for floater usage at a later date, however there has been no indication that they have any current plans to do so.

Personally I'd love to see the floaters being combined with the EVA suites and having that combination being useable for some space EVA missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Floaters on New Romulus would be a BLAST! oh...um...

I would like to see, at the least, they redesign the regular Risa map to allow floaters. They should create a resort planet for our KDF "friends" too.
    edited July 2013
    It's the EVA missions that I'd like to see. Getting around the outside of the fleet dilithium mine instead of using those posts would be a boon.
    edited July 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »

I would like to see, at the least, they redesign the regular Risa map to allow floaters. They should create a resort planet for our KDF "friends" too.

Klingon resort.....An active Volcano and a diving board so the 18% finally becomes -18% and we don't have to hear Klingons whine and about Klingon honor. After all it's a good thing for the Empire of Tribble so it must be good for us all, right? :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • igloodudeigloodude Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »

That KDF resort planet will probably be Earth, once the Fed-Klingon war plays out to its inevitable conclusion. :cool:
    "B'rel is klingon for 'TRIBBLE'." -cmdrskyfaller
  • gandalfthepurpl3gandalfthepurpl3 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Floaters CAN NOT be used outside of the Risa Summer Event map nor will they become usable outside of the Risa Summer Event.

The maps have to be specially tailored for the floaters. The invisible walls that limit player movements in older maps where only designed for the height that a player can jump. Every map would have to be completely modified before they could decide to allow floaters on them.

What Cryptic could do is create more maps specially designed for floater usage at a later date, however there has been no indication that they have any current plans to do so.

Personally I'd love to see the floaters being combined with the EVA suites and having that combination being useable for some space EVA missions.

why should'nt we??????????!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?!?!
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Actually its interesting but all the maps in this game where designed already for flight movement.

When this game first came out it some interesting glitches...like sometimes you didn't appear on the ground as your captain instead you appeared with your away team as your ship. So players could fly around areas.

Also the reverse was true in space...sometimes the ship didn't appear only the character.....which looked silly....characters are very small on the big space over maps.

So in essence its interesting they don't have the risan floaters work other places.

As for the not being able to shoot thing....

Another curious historical note from this game....there was an interesting bug that got fixed fairly fast that allowed players to send their levitation boots form champions online over to star trek online via in game mail...so a lot of people went all over the place and could shoot and use their stuff while levitating.....including on pvp maps.

the not being to shoot or do things on the risan floater is added code.

So its interesting that there are not other places to fly around in....but most likely this is just cryptic trying to figure out if they want to use a differing item....and if they want to have differing animations and effects...after all these are the same people who spent over a year to release a cape on city of heroes....because they couldn't decide if they liked how the cape looked or how it worked.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=