test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hive Onslaught Elite: Acetone Beam required

sophlogimosophlogimo Member Posts: 6,507 Arc User
I tried something new today with Hive Onslaught Elite: A Galaxy(yes!) with 2 Acetone beams as Com and LtCom engineering abilities. It was still a PUG with no real chance, but I noticed that Acetone Beam 3 reduces the Unmatrix Lance weapons from 270k damage or more to about 10k damage, which is quite tankable. So I hit Emergency Power to Engines 1 and Evasive Maneuvers, coming from one side, targetting one of the two, passing from just over the lance range's 20km to 10 km, hitting Acetone Beam quite in time for the lance to be relatively harmless. That way, I got close to the queen (having the queen between me and the other Unimatrix ship, and my team mates as well...

Now, with a premade team, several Acetone Beams ready, possibly some SNB for clearing the Unimatrix ship's Hazard emitters... I guess it could be done without any correction of the currently very high difficulty of the mission.
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Now, with a premade team, several Acetone Beams ready, possibly some SNB for clearing the Unimatrix ship's Hazard emitters... I guess it could be done without any correction of the currently very high difficulty of the mission.

But it isn't difficult, it's just cheap.

No other STF or any other feature in the game (other than PvP spawn campers) pops you from the spawn point.

That's completely broken.
  • originpioriginpi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why do people even get hit by the lances so much? Read the instructions, stay close to the queen and the lances don't shoot you. (There was a bug a while ago when they still would, but it is fixed now)

If you die inside that area you will have to brave the lance fire to get back, but just be quick about it.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, that's how you defeat the Borg, with nail polish remover!
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    Yes, that's how you defeat the Borg, with nail polish remover!

Right in the eye! i bet that hurts.
    a lot!
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Fun enough to hear about but why would you spec for a pug map you shouldn't be on...

Just farm the easy maps and switch character like a normal person!
  • rathelmrathelm Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Isn't anyone liking a challenge for its own sake?

Yes people do, but the people that do don't play this game. You play WoW if you want a good challenge because people in that game keep track of guild progression so you can say you're the best on the server/continent/world. In this game what's the point. Furthermore you're naive if you don't think rewards matter, a lot. People like to stand out and there's no difficulty that makes you stand out. Zen and grind is all that matters here. (Not saying its bad, it is what it is.)
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh, come on, guys. Isn't anybody playing this game just for the fun, and not for some reward? o_O

There must be a way how the devs believe this thing to be beatable at the present difficulty level. I see how Acetone Beam will be a part of it, to tone down the lethality of the lances. Subnucleonic Beam will needed to clear Hazard emitters. Tractor beams and tractor beam repulsors and a few AOE effects like photonic shockwaves to take care of the plasma bolts, and it should be doable.

Isn't anyone liking a challenge for its own sake?

There really isnt a challenge now, it was in the beginning, when it wasnt broken.
    But SNB for Hazard? SNB for the Feedback Pulse. For the hazards you just need a little more damage, they are not as high tuned as in the red alerts.
  • insanesenatorinsanesenator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rathelm wrote: »
    You play WoW if you want a good challenge

lolwut?

/10char
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Range of the lances is 20 km. The spawn is at about 25km.

Yet it still hits you at the spawn, which is why it's broken. I totally understand what you're staying in this thread, though. I do like a challenge and most PvE in this game is way too easy, but getting killed just as you respawn isn't fun. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

I don't want them change anything about Hive Space except for the lance. I even find fighting the queen's diamond really fun and challenging...wish there were other "bosses" in the game that actually used skills.
    edited July 2013
    What happens to the acetone beam effect when HE comes up?

like most every other debuff in the game, hazard emitters cleans acetone beam. I always thought they should make ET fix it rather than HE.
    edited July 2013
    lolwut?

/10char

40 man Raids starting with maybe BWL, but really AQ40 in classic. Pretty much all the 25 man raids of BC. The heroic raids of WotLK. I cannot really speak much for Cata and Pandaria, but I'd imagine the heroics are still pretty damn tough.

WoW does PvE content right. Its very tightly tuned and the heroics at release really take everyone working at 95%+ efficiency.
    edited July 2013
    That has'nt happened to me this season. I tested quite intensively over the last few days, the range of the lances is positively 20 km, and not a single meter more.

yeah I know..that's why its weird... It happened to me. I wasn't paying attention too much to what was going on at the time..but i think the unimatrix was targeting someone else with the lance but they died before it went off and I was the only one else on the map alive, sitting at the spawn, waiting to regroup, when I got hit by it.

But back to the OP, I'll have to try it out. I'm glad someone found a use for that skill :)
    edited July 2013
    Precisely. That was the reason why I proposed to remove the HE effect with SNB, so that a team can keep AB working on one or both vessels and their lances become survivable.

Totally with you on that one. The more useful skills there are, the more tactics there can be, and the more fun the game gets.
    edited July 2013
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Totally with you on that one. The more useful skills there are, the more tactics there can be, and the more fun the game gets.

Only thing you have to be careful about is when it becomes assumed that the only way to beat this is with a specific buildout. This is why people don't like the trinity because you have to have a tank and you have to have a healer. This is just a substitue that you have to have 2 Acetons.
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There must be a way how the devs believe this thing to be beatable at the present difficulty level.

That's kind of a brave premise.
    You're implying this is all intended, which gives them too much credit, tbh.

Challenge? Hell yes.
    Overcoming broken, lazy, boring or otherwise flawed game design and/or mechanics? No thanks.

What I really would like to see is a long STF. Something that can be compared to a standard raid, or at least instance, in other MMOs.
    Think about chaining all or at least half the current (Borg) STF's, ground and space, into one real STF. With a bit more of a death penalty in the space encounters.
    I heard the space and ground parts of STf's were once linked together. It's a pitty they changed it. Enough with the cherry picking and min-maxing. Even part of the race trait balance has gone out of the window because of that.
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here's an easy way to do the Hive:

1. stay above/below the queen (Queen's wave cant reach you at 5km+ and she cant move up or dwn.)
    2. divide into 2 groups and camp at the both end of the tube. Dont bother to avoid the lance. Some1 in team will eventually be killed. Camp at 9K+ both ends: less chance to be hit by lance. Target reg. probes which need to be killed fast.
    3. Focus fire on 1 target. Spheres 1st then cube. Dont agro everything.

This is the mission where transphasic torpedo shine 'cause of the queen shield. Tachyon beam works great too.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    matrix0 wrote: »
    Here's an easy way to do the Hive:

1. stay above/below the queen (Queen's wave cant reach you at 5km+ and she cant move up or dwn.)
    2. divide into 2 groups and camp at the both end of the tube. Dont bother to avoid the lance. Some1 in team will eventually be killed. Camp at 9K+ both ends: less chance to be hit by lance. Target reg. probes which need to be killed fast.
    3. Focus fire on 1 target. Spheres 1st then cube. Dont agro everything.

This is the mission where transphasic torpedo shine 'cause of the queen shield. Tachyon beam works great too.

i've been in good groups that do that in reg and elite and u know what i find funny the lance weapon hits u at ur spawn it hits u and hits the queen nnnootttt to mention the unos turn ssoo yeah the bug is not fixed lol

• vamerrasvamerras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lance weapons and torpedo spreads can hit you anywhere on the map. Tooltip says you are safe within the range of the queen, but I was killed by lance at 0.5 km from the queen too.

If not lance then a plasma torpedo spread instantly kills 2-3 teammates.

This mission is absolutely broken. I'm a giving a try every 1-2 weeks - and the waiting queue is just longer every week.
  • vamerrasvamerras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    arcjet wrote: »
    I heard the space and ground parts of STf's were once linked together. It's a pitty they changed it.

No, this is a good change if it's true. I really don't like the ground part of STO right now. If Cryptic could change it to a Mass Effect or Defiance style shooter-rpg hybrid that would be cool.

Forcing ground missions into eSTFs would be a disaster.