test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, do i buy the Scimitar 3 pack, or take advantage of the sale?

l3luntman1138l3luntman1138 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I got 5000 Zen.

I have been wanting the D'D retro and the other warbird for the phase modulator console for my Eng. But now the dreadnaughts have come out.

So, do i spend 2900 zen for the 2 Warbirds, and have 2000 zen to save up for the dreads to buy in a month or 2?

Or buy the dread's now?

I am torn, and only have till tonight to decide? (well, technically tomorrow morning)

Which would be beter in PvP, a decked out D'D, or a Decked out Dreadnaught?
Post edited by l3luntman1138 on

Comments

• wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm certainly no expert, but i can give you my impressions.. I hope they help..

The D'Dex is a tank in the veign of the old WW1 Mk4 ( i think it was called ). Its big, its heavy and it can take a lot of damage. You put beams on it, park it and watch the show.. But this is rather common knowledge..

the Scimitar is always a custom job. Its big, its heavy ( inertia of 20 ) and its fast. it's like an Abrams tank. How you set up the front five is the key to deciding what role your going to play with it. If you want a tank, then you want to go with beams or DBB's, and add hull plating in the eng slots. With the right Boff skills, it shouldnt be too hard to set the scimi up to be a rather devestating monster.. If you want to shake things up though, then put three or four DHC's on the front and fill the remaining slots with torps of your choice. instead of Hull plating, leave it vulnerable ( it can still be over 54K hull ) and put a couple of RCS consoles in engineering and a Tachyokinetic console in an extra slot somewhere.. Add the borg cutting beam from the omega set to the aft and go with turrets or beams either one and you will move and maneuver unlike any other large romulan ship could ever hope too, plus you'll deal an amazing amount of damage. With the increased speed though, comes increased momentum. the ship WILL turn on its own tail if you want it too. The two pack helps with that because of the maneuvering thrusters. You can rush in, dump your first load, spin around and be facing your next opponent in no time at all. it makes it well worth saving for the three pack.

My personal recommendation ( for what its worth ) would be to buy the D'Dex now and build it up into your min tank while your saving for the three pack of scimi's. In a month they should have the bugs on the scimi's worked out, but even with them, as is evidenced by the sheer number of them you see in game, its a wonderful and awesome ship to use..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • misslithanymisslithany Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Second wufangchu's recommendation that you buy any ship that on sale that you've been eyeing since ship sales aren't that common.
    Also as wufangchu said it will give them time to fix any bugs with the scimitars as well as make any changes to them they think are needed.
    And by the time you have enough to buy the scimitar there will be more feedback from those players who have them, this should help you decide if you want the ship or not.
  • captainobvious09captainobvious09 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The problem with this is, they are not trying to fix the issues, they keep referring it to a tooltip error that is non-gameplay impacting.

I fully expect them to patch the Scimitar next week BUT only to make people THINK they have fixed the phantom damage issue so they can sell more of them(even though they will still be bugged), as others have said, most (if not all) Romulan ships have similar bugs that they take 3x the damage of a similarly equipped Klingon or Federation ships.

If you enjoy getting one shot(ed), give the Scimitar a shot.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sales are few and far between so you're probably better off like everyone else has said and just go ahead and buy the DD's.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited July 2013
    The problem with this is, they are not trying to fix the issues, they keep referring it to a tooltip error that is non-gameplay impacting.

I fully expect them to patch the Scimitar next week BUT only to make people THINK they have fixed the phantom damage issue so they can sell more of them(even though they will still be bugged), as others have said, most (if not all) Romulan ships have similar bugs that they take 3x the damage of a similarly equipped Klingon or Federation ships.

If you enjoy getting one shot(ed), give the Scimitar a shot.

The Scimi has its weaknesses, but thats a bit extreme. I admit that i'm running something far different that the default setup it comes with, but most people are.. And i believe everyone knows that a tac cube and a gateway can one shot anyone they please at any time.. The thaleron is capable of doing 40 - 70K damage used porperly, and with a couple rcs consoles and the tachyokinetic added in, it turns as fast as any other medium sized ship ( like the mogai ), perhaps even faster. Set up correctly as has been suggested by several people in this forum, the scimi has a very high survivability rate. It also attracts a lot of aggro. I still mintain that the sheer number of scimi's in the game are a testament to how good this ship really is..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • captainobvious09captainobvious09 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have 8 different 50s, flying 8 different ships, and the Scimitar is the only one that can be one shot(ed) by a warp core breach at 5km. I am glad yours is just peachy, but lets face it, if you have to put sci/eng healing powers in every available slot just to keep the ship alive, something is wrong with the ship.
    edited July 2013
    I have 8 different 50s, flying 8 different ships, and the Scimitar is the only one that can be one shot(ed) by a warp core breach at 5km. I am glad yours is just peachy, but lets face it, if you have to put sci/eng healing powers in every available slot just to keep the ship alive, something is wrong with the ship.

Oh, I agree that something is being quite wrong with the ship, but i choose not to be cynical ( although i easily could be with what we've seen ). But i die less in this ship than any of my other ships including the retrofit d'dex. I watch a lot of other people die too.. I guess it goes with the estf territory. I'm in no way trying to paint the ship as perfect, rather, give them a month. "try" not to be too cynical ( yes, i know, this IS cryptic were avoiding being cynical about ) and who knows, maybe they'll fix it, and maybe after all the rest of the lies theyve been caught in, they'll set themselves up for bankruptcy.. For now, I'm personally loving the thing.. I think others do too..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sale now, Scimitar later.
  • varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sales are rare? Really? Doesn't seem that way to me. What certainly isn't rare is the whole "limited time only spiel" to induce anxiety in a potential purchaser and push them into a hasty decision.

Having the D'deridex from the lor legacy pack I'm unimpressed with it and the consoles. Needing to phase out is quite rare, and when that need arises stealth by itself will usually suffice. The singularity has a relatively long cooldown (2 or 3 minutes) and doesn't rock my world.

The increased turn rate from having both equipped is nice, though.

The sale is only a 15% saving which on these ships boils down to a few dollars.

My advice is don't feel rushed to buy anything and give a thought to style as well as substance. Personally I think the D'deridex is the most beautiful ship in the Romulan fleet. So if I was looking for something tanky to fly I'd choose it before the two alternatives.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We also get 15% zen sales reasonably often so don't rush.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While overall I think the Scimitar is a better deal right now it's pretty much a work in progress. With an assortment of problems from warp core bugs to not being able to buy advanced hanger pets to just a plain cheaply done inside which makes it a below standard purchase at this time.
    If you're in it for the long haul and wait around long enough I'm sure it will eventually be a fine purchase but if you want your monies worth right away then I'd suggest going with the D'deridex.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was debating about buying a Kumari pack with the sale or maybe going with the Scimitar...since I've read a few of the horror stories I think I will go with the Kumari now and Scim later.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    well i got my 3 pack scimtar on day one, and yes there are a few tribbles in its systems but overall I find it an excelent ship, it seems to me to be a jack of all trades cruiser depending on how you arm it, its never gona be a great dps or tank but it can be good at both but spit fighters/drones out. if u want a dedicated tank or dps dont go for it, however if u want something fun get the 3 pack scimitar, you just need to treat her gently, I fly all my ships on my romy char as if there squishy (most of mine are) so the scimi is no different for me, I love it, but its not going to be to everyones taste.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't buy the scimitar-pack this ship is TRIBBLE and not the 5000 Zen worth.
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • captainretsetcaptainretset Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Would going for a Fleet DD (assuming T4 shipyard) be a good option? This would just need the EC to get some fleet modules from the exchange and leave precious Zen intact for the moment. I ask for the OP and myself. The dedicated consoles would be missing, of course, but I wonder how much of a loss this would be.
  • trythiostrythios Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ..not being able to buy advanced hanger pets to just a plain cheaply done inside which makes it a below standard purchase at this time.

I've seen a few say this, though I had no problems buying the Advanced Drone Ship. "Just" a random bug or ?

There are some kinks to the Scimitar to be sure but, I still enjoy it a lot more than most other ships. Haven't died much in it, getting one shot by the odd tac cube or gate has happened in all ships I've had, fed or romy. That's not to say there isn't something wrong with it, I see a lot of Scimis getting blown up during ESTF's - Though many of them is due to deploying the Thalaron while having main agro and not using RSP/Overshield while doing so.

On topic: Don't rush a decision IMO - The sale, while nice, isn't significant enough to rush a purchase. The DD and Scimi are quite different so comes down to what you want out of it and if you can live with the odd bugs and fantastic(!) drifting of the Scimi.
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    trythios wrote: »
    I've seen a few say this, though I had no problems buying the Advanced Drone Ship. "Just" a random bug or ?

Well it seems to be a more general bug that is effecting the special items store but I consider it a point against the Scimitar because you know some people might want to buy them.:( Whether it effect you or not is a toss of the dice by the sounds of it.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
    edited July 2013
    Would going for a Fleet DD (assuming T4 shipyard) be a good option? This would just need the EC to get some fleet modules from the exchange and leave precious Zen intact for the moment. I ask for the OP and myself. The dedicated consoles would be missing, of course, but I wonder how much of a loss this would be.

One of the main reasons i fly the retrofit D'Dex is because of that projected singularity console. It has a low charge time ( 3 seconds ) decent range ( 10 miles ) and is pretty good at taking out spheres probes and other annoyances..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
    edited July 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Didn't intend to buy the Scimitar and haven't, though the Zen sale afforded me the oportunity to buy the Atrox, and was able to spend the remaining Zen on dilithium, which in turn meant that I was able to purchase two sets of the Elite Stalker Fighters for the Atrox. :D

Atrox is good.. Two hangars is good. One hangar of advanced romulan drones is better. They act totally autonomously, deliver a significant punch and their longevity is amazing. i use two of them during khitomer elite and there wonderful.. i can pop probes within five kilometer of their spawn point with them, and when theres no probes, they go off and attack the generators and gates, then return when theres more probes.. Frankly, its my opinion that the romulan advanced drone is one of the best things cryptic has ever created.
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wasn't planning on buying the Scimitar at first but I finally decided to do so and never regretted it. My favourite ship is the D'Deridex but I also like the Fleet Mogai. My Fleet is close to T4 so I will soon be able to buy the Fleet version of the D'D but in the meantime I have to admit really liking the Scimitar. Using the Thalaron pulse at the right time is not always easy and I wish there were a cancel button but still I like the ship. It is almost as agile as my Fleet Mogai and the Drone ships are impressive. It might just be wishful thinking but I do seem to crit more ofte with it than with my other ships. It has a few problems and the bridge is really cheap... but I like the thalaron chamber.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • captainretsetcaptainretset Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    One of the main reasons i fly the retrofit D'Dex is because of that projected singularity console. It has a low charge time ( 3 seconds ) decent range ( 10 miles ) and is pretty good at taking out spheres probes and other annoyances..

Thanks for the info - given me something to chew on.
  • alfamegaalfamega Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    since i got all the ships due to legacy pack i have some experience with those.
    d'dex being a famous ship don't really gives kick-in feeling.
    the reasons: phase inverter is nearly useless, panic button like that on karfi. projected singularity is a "nice to have", its just another gravity well on a very long cd. but you nearly forced to use both consoles to get for the ship an acceptable turn rate.

i would highly recommend the mogai variants. both consoles are really nice. passive shield procs happen a lot to count on them. electrical blast has a potential to toss an instant 50-60k damage spike with exotic damage, which no one can resist. and set bonus improve the dps a lot.
    this ship can be made tanky enough to kill cubes solo in stf with easy obtainable equip like aegis set.
    if i would be forced to have one single ship - i would choose the mogai without any doubts over all other romulan ships.
    and the best of it, it is not tier 5 fleet ship, so you can get it much easier.
  • varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    alfamega wrote: »
    if i would be forced to have one single ship - i would choose the mogai without any doubts over all other romulan ships.
    and the best of it, it is not tier 5 fleet ship, so you can get it much easier.

I did spend a lot of time in my mogai but if we're talking tac ships I'd recommend the t'varo ahead of it. The enhanced battle cloak is something I've been able to use to good effect.

It's also, in my opinion, currently the best option for a science ship. You can execute most/all boff abilities while cloaked - including healing-other type abilities - and that is sometimes useful. You just need to be careful to fly above/below the current plane of combat if you fly it permanently cloaked as a torpedo boat, to avoid eg. stray torpedoes and ship explosions.
  • alfamegaalfamega Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    varnoukh wrote: »
    I did spend a lot of time in my mogai but if we're talking tac ships I'd recommend the t'varo ahead of it. The enhanced battle cloak is something I've been able to use to good effect.
    that will be a second ship i will get as fleet version. just for fun purpose. still its 2 consoles set are a luckluster, thats the reason it is not my ship number one.
    singularity recharge helps to cancel the cd of the main singularity core, but has itself way too long cd.
    red ball of doom being nice on paper isnt that useful actually. incredibly slow, got destroyed in mid of the flight even in pve, does friendly fire with huge area. in 90% of the situations target got destroyed before the ball can hit it or the ball itself got destroyed. at least it has a short cd.
    2 set bonus is only good for a dedicated stealth bomber torpedo boat.
    still enh battle cloak is something wicked, just like on birds of pray.