test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa's sun is pink in sector space, but not on surface.

rayethrayeth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
Just something I noticed when I was leaving Risa to do a few missions and DOFF upkeep, Risa orbits a sun that is pink in sector space, but in the system there are two stars that are yellow, and on the surface the stars are visibly white. I think it would be a bit more interesting if the stars were updated to match the sector space version, and the light in the zones was tinted slightly pinkish during the day, and the moons were pink at night.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
I found a plot hole! NURSE!
Post edited by rayeth on

Comments

• k022#6452 k022 Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The gasses in the atmosphere might acting as a color filter if you want to justify the DEV's laziness :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rayethrayeth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Doesn't explain in system space the two yellow stars! Still, would be neat if it got changed, not by much, just a little bit.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't think there are any pink stars.
    edited July 2013
    Actually stars can run the gamut as far as their black body radiation is concerned, and there can be unusual colors like green and purple stars, but the human eye can't tell exactly what color it is because of how we see light, so a star that is primarily purple will look more blue to us. Here is a video that explains it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvjeP3SfD1g

Regardless though, from an in-game perspective, Risa's star looks purple/pink to me when in sector space, but it is clearly yellow in system and on the planet. I don't mind if they don't change it, just wanted to provide feedback on it.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    Risa is supposed to have 2 suns. And every time it was shown on the TV Shows, the lighting was earthlike (white/yellow).

If we did anything, it would be to update Sector Space to show the proper suns.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Risa is supposed to have 2 suns. And every time it was shown on the TV Shows, the lighting was earthlike (white/yellow).

Do it, do it now! :P
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rayeth wrote: »
    Just something I noticed when I was leaving Risa to do a few missions and DOFF upkeep, Risa orbits a sun that is pink in sector space, but in the system there are two stars that are yellow, and on the surface the stars are visibly white. I think it would be a bit more interesting if the stars were updated to match the sector space version, and the light in the zones was tinted slightly pinkish during the day, and the moons were pink at night.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
    In Space the Sun appears white, but on Earth it appears yellow. Never discount atmospheric effects.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What I find interesting about Risa's Suns/Moons from the planet's surface...

Assuming the top of the Minimap is North, then:

The Suns rise in the North, set in the South
    While the Moons rise in the East and set in the West.

Now that's weird.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
    edited July 2013

I'd be fine with that as well actually, I was just pointing out the inconsistency.
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What I find interesting about Risa's Suns/Moons from the planet's surface...

Assuming the top of the Minimap is North, then:

The Suns rise in the North, set in the South
    While the Moons rise in the East and set in the West.

Now that's weird.
    Weird, but explainable: Risa is tilted 90 some odd degrees like Uranus and its moons were captured bodies that settled into a polar orbit.
  • ferengicraddockferengicraddock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Assuming the top of the Minimap is North

Not sure we can make that assumption - after all, the minimap for Starfleet Academy is totes opposite!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    UFP Catering Corps
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    The top of the map is north. Unfortunately, some people don't pay attention to that when they set up the map initially. And once the map is built, it's not an easy task to rotate the whole thing.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Assuming the top of the Minimap is North.
    Not sure we can make that assumption - after all, the minimap for Starfleet Academy is totes opposite!
    My assumption was based on the "N" located on the map display. What's wrong w/Starfleet Academy's map? Never paid it much mind/noticed it being "wrong" (or totally opposite)...
    The top of the map is north. Unfortunately, some people don't pay attention to that when they set up the map initially. And once the map is built, it's not an easy task to rotate the whole thing.
    This made me LOL deeply. Heh. Thanks for that, Taco.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.