Install Arc

Block the emote spam!!!!

2»

Comments

• somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ixandel wrote: »
    Found a good way to turn off emotes.

Go to the NPC tab and enable all the chat you want to show up in there.

It never shows the emotes.

I'm using the NPC tab as my default while on Risa.

Yeah, I noticed that NPC and Combat have Emotes fully disabled, so (sadly) I'm using that as my 'general chat'.

And this is really, really stupid to have to do this too.

Cryptic? Anything?
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the local/emote chat radius is only fifty feet or so. If it really bugs you that much, don't get that close to the dance floor, and you won't get the "spam"
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Emotes used to be sent to the local channel, but they were later given their own channel. The option to disable that channel has been removed in Legacy of Romulus.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Noticed this issue begin as soon as LoR launched, every time I went to a social zone all of my chat tabs would be flooded with emotes from other players, makes reading the things you want to read next to impossible. Can't find an option to disable emotes in the chat windows.

The odd thing is that on some of my older characters, the custom chat tabs created pre-LoR aren't affected by the emote chat spam, only the "Chat" tab and newer tabs and windows. However on my new Romulan character, the emote spam permeates across all chat tabs.

Not sure why emotes aren't tied to the "Local" chat channel, that would be the most sensible, right? Right now though I'm stuck with all the emotes that my poor comp can barely handle. Please fix this soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited July 2013
    apparently with the LoR launch they did away with the emotes check box in chat options, really bad around the dabo tables also. why should we care if "person x bet 100 credits at dabo" if anything that should be a system message.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eclipsoreclipsor Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Having the same issue. Very annoying, especially on Risa or near dabo tables.

A quick workaround for that is to customize the NPC chat so that it displays the chats that you are interested in - verbalizations of emotes arent displayed there.

But waiting for them to actually fix it.
  • kiarasenakiarasena Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    W00T!:D Cryptic screwed up, ruined, broke something again.. well done! now fix the junk.. :(
    edited July 2013
    I bet this will be Cryptic's reply: It's Working as intended.

Then everyone will just get a reason to flip them off even more. :P

Heck.. cryptic lost it's prime a long time ago, LoR seemed nice but now it's even more fail then before.. they should give Cryptic a trophy for "Worse Ideas Ever Thought Of". ;)

But besides the crappy things I'll still enjoy the game, just not feed them money for a fail system.
    edited July 2013
    :o LoR, nice content.. but OMG.. seeing some german kids or whatever spam emotes in ESD because they're all excited is already annoying.. but now we have to watch everyone spam it on Risa's dance event?.. :confused:

Seriously Cryptic.. give us the Emote and Minigame chat option back.. or fix it.. and don't tell everyone that "it's working as intended" because then the one who thought to remove it is a big nub.. and no that wasn't a compliment type nub. :mad:

Now back to enjoying Risa and farming more Lohlunat Favor :P
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yup this is really annoying to any one.

Video-->>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqgUybfQKXU
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Has anyone looked at the actual local settings file to see if you can copy a line over to disable emotes?
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    angarus1 wrote: »
    Be sure to disable Local etc in your custom tab. :)
    Hmm, I don't get this spam on my alternate tabs, even on my Romulan. O.o

Be sure to disable local chat. :)
    Have you made an additional tab yet?
    Dear Mother,

I know you're new to STO, so I will give you a break. I have a character that has been in-game since launch. I've created custom global channels. I've created multiple tabs with different chat options per channel.

However, it seems like issues that cropped up in beta have made it to Live. This means that, even for the thoroughly initiated such as myself, it's impossible to remove "emote" chat, as the box has been removed from the UI, and removing other channels such as "local" or "system" do not solve the issue. Unless a character had the "emotes" channel turned off before LoR (or had settings imported from a character with this setting disabled), one can't shut off emotes at all - at least through the GUI.

This, and the issue with the double slash (//) coming up whenever one uses the slash to start chat, are probably the tow most annoying things to happen to the UI since I discovered how many players were winning lock box ships.

Please understand Mom, this is not a sleight to you. I understand you're just trying to be helpful, but I'm pretty sure I know a thing or three about how the game's Chat system works, from being here so long and for being in City of Heroes, which used a very similar global chat system, for seven years previous.

Now please return to chatting with the knitting circle on AOL Instant Messenger, and I'll try to scour the /slash commands for a work around.

Hugs and Kisses,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
    edited July 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    Has anyone looked at the actual local settings file to see if you can copy a line over to disable emotes?

!!! WINNER !!!

WORK AROUND

This work-around is for characters who have emote messages enabled and want to disable them, but cannot due to the option missing in the UI post LoR. If you already have emote chat disabled, then carry on. Otherwise, you can import your HUD/UI settings from your favorite character, modify the file using the instructions below, and load it to any/ all your characters. Enjoy!

* In-game, press Escape, go to Options > HUD, and click "Save UI"

* Find your ui_Settings.txt file in your STO files.
    * * If using Steam, this will be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live"
    * * If using the regular launch, this should be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live"

* Open the ui_settings.txt file with Notepad, Wordpad, or any other text editor.

* Use the Find function (typically F3) to find the name of the Chat tab you want to edit.

* In the settings for the tab, you'll see the line "MessageTypeFilterMode Exclusive". Underneath are names of channels you DON'T want to see in the tab; e.i.: "MessageType NPC".

* Add the following line: "MessageType Emote".
    ** Tired of Dabo messages too? Then also add the following line: "MessageType Minigame".

* Save the file and exit your text editing program.

* In-game, press Escape, go to Options > HUD, and click "Load UI"

* PROFIT!

You're welcome :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah it doesnt matter if your characters been around since launch or brand new (I have a new Rom, and two characters that I made in the early days), all of them are plagued with emote chat spam.

The emote check box needs to be put back into the UI. I don't know if it was intentional or just a mistake, but it needs to be fixed.

!!! WINNER !!!

WORK AROUND

* * If using Steam, this will be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live"
    * * If using the regular launch, this should be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live"

* Open the ui_settings.txt file with Notepad, Wordpad, or any other text editor.

* Use the Find function (typically F3) to fins the name of the Chat tab you want to edit.

* In the settings for the tab, you'll see the line "MessageTypeFilterMode Exclusive". Underneath are names of channels you DON'T want to see in the tab, followed by some MessageType lines.

* PROFIT!

YOU, are a genious, thank you for this!! <3
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    !!! WINNER !!!

WORK AROUND

This work-around is for characters who have emote messages enabled and want to disable them, but cannot due to the option missing in the UI post LoR. If you already have emote chat disabled, then carry on. Otherwise, you can import your HUD/UI settings from your favorite character, modify the file using the instructions below, and load it to any/ all your characters. Enjoy!

* Use the Find function (typically F3) to find the name of the Chat tab you want to edit.

* In the settings for the tab, you'll see the line "MessageTypeFilterMode Exclusive". Underneath are names of channels you DON'T want to see in the tab; e.i.: "MessageType NPC".

** Tired of Dabo messages too? Then also add the following line: "MessageType Minigame".

* PROFIT!

*sends obsidius 2 boxes of cyber cookies*
  • thebobbyllamathebobbyllama Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Really, we shouldn't even have this kind of emote spam to start with. CO used to be the same way, but they eventually removed most of the spam except for the stuff that makes sense (e.g. "X waves to Y"). It'd be nice if they'd do the same thing here.
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Really, we shouldn't even have this kind of emote spam to start with. CO used to be the same way, but they eventually removed most of the spam except for the stuff that makes sense (e.g. "X waves to Y"). It'd be nice if they'd do the same thing here.

Usability or smart little tweaks?
    Never!
  • darkwolf02125darkwolf02125 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    !!! WINNER !!!

WORK AROUND

* PROFIT!

You sir are a genius! I owe you a bottle of Ale, lol.
  • irracionalirracional Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The emote spam is anyoning, but I only see it if I'm really close to the dance floor. As son as I go away it doesn't appear in my chat, doesn't happen the same to you? Or you need to be for some obscure reason just when the dance contest happens?
  • xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What's worse I think is the people who have dance moves hotkeyed/macroed and spit out 6 to 8 moves everytime the instructor calls for one. Thankfully we have report/ignore for them.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    irracional wrote: »
    The emote spam is anyoning, but I only see it if I'm really close to the dance floor. As son as I go away it doesn't appear in my chat, doesn't happen the same to you? Or you need to be for some obscure reason just when the dance contest happens?
    THIS^

Seriously, if you're not in the immediate vicinity, you can't see them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • grigul1grigul1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    @Obsidiusrex:

Thank you so much for your excellent guide, Sir. I tried it out this morning and it works perfectly. :)

I translated your guide into german - I hope you agree with that.

A big hug from Germany to you, Sir!!^^:D

Kind regards

Grigul
    edited July 2013
    irracional wrote: »

Emote spam only has a "range" of 50 ft, but this can fall within the boundaries of the dabo table and ornithologist. Besides, if one actually participates in the dance contest, it is all but impossible to actually have a chat/ PM conversation without filtering it out of the chat window if it's not already disabled.
    What's worse I think is the people who have dance moves hotkeyed/macroed and spit out 6 to 8 moves everytime the instructor calls for one. Thankfully we have report/ignore for them.
    Putting a player on your Ignore list is acceptable, but using the "Report for Spam" feature for players who are taking part in a legitimate, dev-designed activity, simply because a player is in the vicinity or incapable of filtering it out, may actually get that reporting player in trouble for abusing the Report system. I strongly advise to use the Ignore function instead, or follow my previously-posted steps to remove Emote messages from your Chat tab.
    grigul1 wrote: »
    @Obsidiusrex:

Thank you so much for your excellent guide, Sir. I tried it out this morning and it works perfectly. :)

I translated your guide into german - I hope you agree with that.

A big hug from Germany to you, Sir!!^^:D

Kind regards

Grigul
    Perfectly acceptable :) And you're welcome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dear Mother,

I know you're new to STO, so I will give you a break. I have a character that has been in-game since launch. I've created custom global channels. I've created multiple tabs with different chat options per channel.

However, it seems like issues that cropped up in beta have made it to Live. This means that, even for the thoroughly initiated such as myself, it's impossible to remove "emote" chat, as the box has been removed from the UI, and removing other channels such as "local" or "system" do not solve the issue. Unless a character had the "emotes" channel turned off before LoR (or had settings imported from a character with this setting disabled), one can't shut off emotes at all - at least through the GUI.

This, and the issue with the double slash (//) coming up whenever one uses the slash to start chat, are probably the tow most annoying things to happen to the UI since I discovered how many players were winning lock box ships.

Please understand Mom, this is not a sleight to you. I understand you're just trying to be helpful, but I'm pretty sure I know a thing or three about how the game's Chat system works, from being here so long and for being in City of Heroes, which used a very similar global chat system, for seven years previous.

Now please return to chatting with the knitting circle on AOL Instant Messenger, and I'll try to scour the /slash commands for a work around.

Hugs and Kisses,
    I'd hardly call being active since 2010 'new', but who am I to assume things?
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    just make another chat tab, turn everything off but zone chat
    and emote spam fixed.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    !!! WINNER !!!

WORK AROUND

You have my gratitude!! :)

artanisen wrote: »
    just make another chat tab, turn everything off but zone chat
    and emote spam fixed.

You can't disable Emotes or Mini Games in the chat settings any more. Hence the reason for the spam and for this workaround.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!