test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Want to create Vo'quv character; Engineer or Science?

weirdoman1weirdoman1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Title pretty much says it all. I'm planning on building another toon to fly a Vo'quv. I don't know what his specialty should be though. There was a thread similar to this a little over a year ago where someone replied to be an engineer, but I don't know if anything perhaps changed over the year (I doubt it though). So, I want your opinions on this. I know a lot of carrier flyers out there who are science officers, but that thread said the Vo'quv was different and was meant to have a more tankish (tankish?) role.
Spock: If I were human, I believe my response would be... "Go to hell"... if I were human.

Data: Captain, I believe I speak for everyone here, sir, when I say, "To hell with our orders." :cool:
Post edited by weirdoman1 on

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,653 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Both types will fit it pretty well. With most Sci abilities (including Sub Nuc) having their arcs increased to 135 degrees, it's easier now for Sci captains to use the Vo'Quv as a Sci boat than earlier threads would've stated, plus the increased turnrate boost of Skills and RCS consoles after LoR went live. There's also the Mirror Vo'Quv, which has an increased Engineering layout, which makes it easier for a Sci to tank, or to take an Eng to even more tanky levels.

I really think either captain type could do quite well in either version.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use a tac and fly it like a battleship
  • Options
    weirdoman1weirdoman1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thx for the replies. I think I'm going to go engineer simply because I've always been adept at the tanking role. Good to know that I could've gone any way though :)
    Spock: If I were human, I believe my response would be... "Go to hell"... if I were human.

Data: Captain, I believe I speak for everyone here, sir, when I say, "To hell with our orders." :cool:
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's a 50/50 deal with ENG / SCI on a Vo'Quv. Engineers with Miracle Worker and its associated trait can do ridiculous things in keeping up hull and shields on anything. On the other hand, easy reconfiguration of the SCI Heavy BOFF slots of the Vo'Quv is much more easy with a SCI captain.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Eh the way I found out what I liked this ship for more is I took one of each class and played them the way I like to play and then found both are adequate but the Science officer in the way science powers work I found that class to work better for me.

The positive side is its a lot cheaper to do experiments than it used to be lol.
  • Options
    dabaddabadabaddaba Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've been using a mirror vo'quv on my engineer and it is a real fun to fly. The extra heals the engineer has are really good since in most cases you can't run away fast enough when under heavy fire. Subnuke and sensor scan are nice but you can't use them if you're dead :)

I advice going with 6 beam arrays and using TT1, FAW2, ApB2 on your tac bridge officer. This setup really helps increase the damage of your pets as well as your team mates, add to that 6 points in threat control and the borg will fall in love with you.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I use a tac and fly it like a battleship

One of my Tacs flies a Mirror Vo'Quv...it's somewhat surprisingly effective. It's fun to GDF with that kind of buffer...still, I've daydreamed about them having a Fleet MU version, running Fleet Disruptors, the new B'rolth...oh well, eh?
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited July 2013
    The Vo'Quv is such a spectacularly good ship it can be used by any Captain effectively for any role.

The Lt.Com Engineer & Tac mean almost any option is available, the only flaw I can find in the design is the Fleet Version should have a Universal Lt.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    ajalenajalen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tac off , all engineering console loaded with RSC , 2 cannons + 1 torp front , 3 turrets aft , 1 hagar with fighters 4 distraction , second with b'rels 4 dmg

and u have monster ............
    mzspQIG.jpg

• Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It works brilliantly for my tac captain. Well, both do.

Always with Some selection of Dual, dual heavy or quad cannons, sometimes a torpedo, 2 turrets and a kinetic cutting beam.

Consoles, Energy-damage boost-y ones for what ever energy type you use. The rest of mine are some random mixes of shield boosts, armours and universals.
    No need for RCS, if you're a good pilot ;)

Hanger Craft - I find 2xB'Rolths or 2xAdvanced Orion Interceptors work best.

I also have a lot of fun with energy siphons with it. Maxing out all your power levels doesn't hurt :)
    edited July 2013
    Mirror Vu'Qov pilot here (the A.K.S. Me A Quesition) - If youre Engineer, I think the Mirror is great. However, the standard does give you some flex in the Sci depaartment. I'm an engi, I like the Mirror, you should be gtg.....

As far as pets, I use Elite Scorps and Advanced slavers. The slavers used to be great for contra, but are bugged and not stealing **** anymore. But when working as intended, you get a great balance.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And things are really going to get fun when the new hanger controls hit Holodeck.
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have the Mirror version, and use it on a Sci. While I don't do that much dps, I have a lot of tank/healing & crowd control ability. So a sci will do very well in a Vo'Quv.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Go with an Engineer. You'll live longer...
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    squadrons are going to a sustained rather than button spam system.

Yes, really.

I'm not sure what this means... Please explain.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    redheadguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure what this means... Please explain.

Just look at the devblog...
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=940251
    edited July 2013
    ok guys i need advice

i have new klingon char and my goal is prime universe Vo'quv Carrier ....i test mirror on another char loaded with cannons and now i want this one ,

plan is - i have KDF tactical for AP Alpha + mark target etc .....
    1 boff : tactical with TT , torp spread 2 and APB 2 - later i plan switch throse 2 skills if i find trainer for spread 3
    2 engineering - EptS 1+2 (for shield healing + bonus to shield power) and aux to structural 2 (short cooldown healing + res )
    3 science with Hazard Emitters 1+2
    4 science boff i have purchaes but i dont have room for him now (i use secont tactical and raptors for fast leveling) , its a lethean with eff trait
    i plan on him Jam sensors , TB repulsors , Gravity Well and Viral Matrix (3)

hangars : one with fighters , second with B'rels

weapons : plasma torps , DHC + beam array front , 2 turrets + one array aft (or another torpedo launcher instead one turret )
    idea is spam enemies with spreads plasma torps (and their nice DoT)
    mzspQIG.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2013
    ajalen wrote: »
    later i plan switch throse 2 skills if i find trainer for spread 3

That part is easy - Jem'Hadar Tactical Boff. You can claim as many as you like :P
    edited July 2013
    ajalen wrote: »
    ok guys i need advice

i have new klingon char and my goal is prime universe Vo'quv Carrier ....i test mirror on another char loaded with cannons and now i want this one ,

plan is - i have KDF tactical for AP Alpha + mark target etc .....
    1 boff : tactical with TT , torp spread 2 and APB 2 - later i plan switch throse 2 skills if i find trainer for spread 3
    2 engineering - EptS 1+2 (for shield healing + bonus to shield power) and aux to structural 2 (short cooldown healing + res )
    3 science with Hazard Emitters 1+2
    4 science boff i have purchaes but i dont have room for him now (i use secont tactical and raptors for fast leveling) , its a lethean with eff trait
    i plan on him Jam sensors , TB repulsors , Gravity Well and Viral Matrix (3)

hangars : one with fighters , second with B'rels

weapons : plasma torps , DHC + beam array front , 2 turrets + one array aft (or another torpedo launcher instead one turret )
    idea is spam enemies with spreads plasma torps (and their nice DoT)

I've tried Cannons and Turrets but found I preferred beams, Dual Beam bank gives nice forward fire power. I'm using the Romulan Experimental Beam Array (doesn't use power) and the Hyper Plasma Torpedo (Console too for 3p) Got the Borg Cutting beam and the Assimilated Module for that 2P.

I'd put a Polarise Hull and a Transfer Shield Strength on there personally. 2 HE with the A2SIF seems like too much Hull Healing.

Do you need Jam Sensors? You can fly out of Range and let your pets do the work? Also Gravity Well and TBR have good synergy, but Viral Matrix not so much. Tryken's Rift & Energy Siphon with a wing of Siphon Drones and BoPs would synergise much better with Viral matrix. Combine that with Plasmotic leech and some Polarons and watch your opponent mount 0 defense.

Make sure to get the Gravemetric Scientist for multiple Rifts/GWells and the DOFF who spreads Viral matrix around.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited July 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    nope. wrong not working in a sustained manner.
    still have to spam the button the keep squadrons up.

Yeah I don't think Hanger Pets are working as intended at the moment. My BoPs are doing so so much worse than they did pre-patch.