test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing Mail **UPDATE: Items now back on Holodeck with the 7/11 patch**

Comments

• vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Problem is the new DB is 96% smaller than the old DB. They went from 2500 attachments to 100 without telling any of us players. Even after they crippled, then completely broke the mail system all we got was 'oops, it was an accident, we're working on returning your stuff'. 3 weeks crippled, and 1 week completely broken and they still won't tell us they've been tinkering.

We're mushrooms (fed BS and kept in the dark), better get used to it.

That's not strictly true, personally I think that unless a change is in the release notes then it's a bug otherwise how are players meant to know when something changes it was intentional or not? So a bug fix might end up as being a change in the release notes but at least then changes in game and announced changes would be in line.

However Cryptic think that throwing something up on a twitter feed and letting the message spread through the playing community is also an acceptable way of annoucing changes. And about a month before LoR was released there was a tweet announcing the change to attachment limit.

So they did tell people they just did it in a really crappy way, and until the changes are in the release notes somewhere it's still a bug.
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Have they fixed the mail system yet? Any official announcement? I heard ppl said they fixed it. However, I still lost 90% of my mails, and no item attached in exchange expire return mail.
    edited June 2013
    matrix0 wrote: »
    Have they fixed the mail system yet? Any official announcement? I heard ppl said they fixed it. However, I still lost 90% of my mails, and no item attached in exchange expire return mail.

*slowly waves hand across front of matrix0's face*
    These are not the mail's you are looking for.

That jedi mind stuff is completely useless
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, there seem to be at least three bugs related to the new mail system, so a comment like "mail bug is fixed" is pretty useless without specifying which mail bug.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vorga113 wrote: »
    That's not strictly true, personally I think that unless a change is in the release notes then it's a bug otherwise how are players meant to know when something changes it was intentional or not? So a bug fix might end up as being a change in the release notes but at least then changes in game and announced changes would be in line.

However Cryptic think that throwing something up on a twitter feed and letting the message spread through the playing community is also an acceptable way of annoucing changes. And about a month before LoR was released there was a tweet announcing the change to attachment limit.

So they did tell people they just did it in a really crappy way, and until the changes are in the release notes somewhere it's still a bug.

I come to the OFFICIAL site for news and game information, I don't do the twitter thing so to even suggest that leaking stuff on twitter is anything more than rumor shows that you don't know why this site exists.

I'm quite surprised that post 101 still exists as is confirms the twitter leak 6 weeks ago, that their last patch that ate our mailbox was an accident from their continued tweeking of the new system they installed with LoR, that wasn't announced to anyone.

1 OFFICIAL post after the fact, millions of attachments displaced but you give them a pass because they tweeted something about a mail system change a few weeks ago ?

Amazing.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • hornyrhinohornyrhino Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jayjaxhd wrote: »
    guud luck with that with and cube with insta kill on yah hahaha.
    My main point is that i lost 50mill of items for our starbase and heard a few minutes ago that a friend of ours lost his 200/400M of items he had in his mail, he said im done with this game.

So sto thats alread 16 people.

lol i lost well over 500m including some galors, a tuffli freighter, hundreds of box consoles and well over 500 purple boffs from different races with bonus rare skills...heck i had a dozen fed saurian tacticals...so yes im really miffed.

...plus its ontop of that i lost out on the bug that disabled or screwed up the stip-pends auto payment 2 months with support telling me i got 2 in april ...which i know i did not but gave up asking them.

im a lifer and wish i never got it....at the time things were running good, but now...it just plain sucks with 1 problem after another.

shame i cant get a refund for something like breach of contract through not providing me a service thats up to scratch. back to crappy old battle-star galactica on-line at least that does not have as many problems.

P.S cryptic i dont use twitter ...never have so doing update notices on that is absolutely pathetic...they should be given on the boot screen like you do for servers off-line...think the patients have taken over the asylum at cryptic. :(
  • leod198leod198 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are there any mail related bugs being addressed in this comming patch? If not when?
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I come to the OFFICIAL site for news and game information, I don't do the twitter thing so to even suggest that leaking stuff on twitter is anything more than rumor shows that you don't know why this site exists.

I'm quite surprised that post 101 still exists as is confirms the twitter leak 6 weeks ago, that their last patch that ate our mailbox was an accident from their continued tweeking of the new system they installed with LoR, that wasn't announced to anyone.

1 OFFICIAL post after the fact, millions of attachments displaced but you give them a pass because they tweeted something about a mail system change a few weeks ago ?

Amazing.

Exactly This.

And I need to reiterate what I said a few pages back:

If we had been given notice prior to this mailbox migration, I GUARANTEE I would have spent the time necessary to clean out my mailbox rather than trying to finish the FE re-runs. At least I know the FE's will be back.

In fact, if we had been given OFFICIAL notice prior to the attachment limit in the first place, there wouldn't have been a problem with any lost items either.

Of course, if we had any other storage options, this item limit thing wouldn't have been an issue at all. How long have there been posts about tribble storage and pet storage, with fantastic ideas on how to handle them? Oh, I think I saw the first one in Jan 2010. Hmm, how about numerous posts about increasing doff storage/add account doff storage. About 2 months after the doff system came out, I think. Starbase input storage? Yep, probably about the time fleets started hitting Tier II.

It's time for an official update - regardless if the update is 'uh, we're not sure how we'll fix it yet' or not. Trust me, no amount of Horga?hn statues is going to distract me enough that I don't notice all my missing stuff. :mad:

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We're anxious to get this resolved ASAP, too. This update, from last Thursday, is the most recent update I have, though:

Please note the yellow text -- the team is working as fast as possible to get the items back to you. It's definitely a frustrating issue for our players so we appreciate your continued patience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hey Brandon -

It's been a week since we heard anything. Can you rattle anyone's cage to see what drops out and feed it to us mushrooms? <blatant steal from lordmalak1>

Puh-leeeeeeez???? Anything??? Has anyone checked on that database guy in the corner? He IS breathing, isn't he?

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
    edited June 2013
    personally I think that unless a change is in the release notes then it's a bug otherwise how are players meant to know when something changes it was intentional or not?

How's that giving them a pass?
  • leod198leod198 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nothing got fixed in thos patch. Please, give us an update.
  • zuzokzuzok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Logged in today, only to have my hopes crushed yet again.
    Near 100mil ec (4months+ of work to me) worth of doffs, items and boxes are just gone still. :mad:
    At least there is official acknowledgement of the issue that is not working as intended.

All those poor doffs, floating somewhere in the void. Without even a digital cryostasis envelope between their not-space-rated uniform and what lurks beyond.

I want something back. even if it is just a giant pile of ~>1147 "Doff Carcasses", and ~>55 "tons of slagged items"
    That are worth something, like dill, marks, or ec

But if they are going to go that route, it must be done properly; not like in November when the Reputation System debuted and my primary character received only 2000 dill in exchange for enough borg salvage stuffs that in the new system would be worth at least 250k dill.
  • m0duspwnensm0duspwnens Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not logging in until this is fixed. I'm afraid my mail will get deleted if I do. So far it hasn't but I haven't been online except once briefly since this started happening.
  • obligoblig Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    any news here? pls
  • keppoch1keppoch1 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    i don't think that i am missing any mail but my Mail ICON is blinking since the patch with NO new mail inside.
    so something is clearly going wrong there.

last mail i have is from 2/17/2013
    only got a bunch of BOffs banked in there (some from 2011 lol)

Add me to the list of those missing mail. I had a large number of things stored in mail so other characters could use them. Some of these date back three years. I would like it all back.

Thanks,
    -Keppoch
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    oblig wrote: »
    any news here? pls

Yeah, the last update was 246 posts ago.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Am now 3 patches behind current players and still NO resolution to ANY mail issues.

Mushrooms haven't been fed in a week, you think we might forget about the mail issues if you keep ignoring us ???
    :confused:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, still no updates on when we might see our mail returned to us? Had to ask since we were 3 pages behind all the complaining about the Risa clothing options...
  • davehilanderdavehilander Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I know I should read the whole chain, but it got too depressing after only a few pages. A fleet member was not active for a while because he has been in Neverwinter. He is sure his email was fine when he got back to the game. he deleted an old character and created a new Federation character in preparation for Risa and was surprised when he went to equip his new character and found he only had about 10 mails in his mailbox.

Is this indeed the trigger that causes the mail to vanish? Mine vanished very early on, so I can't be sure when mine went away, but it very easily could have been the same thing.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't believe there's a trigger for it. According to Cryptic's description, it was caused when they migrated mails to a new system - so nothing a user does or does not do can affect this.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Anyone get any mail back yet? Or any kind of real update?
  • schizojrschizojr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The first time I loggued back in the game after the patch of June 20th (where they changed the SB doffs requirements), all my mail was there. I remember, cauz some people were complaining about a new mail bug. Took a look in mine and it was fine. Took some doffs out of mail to put in SB projects, changed characters, everything was fine. Loggued off.

When I logged back in the following day, thats when my mail was gone. So I don't know if the trigger is the simple fact of logging in, or simply that I removed some stuff out, but it seems to be linked to that.

Oh, and the people who are complaining the devs didn't give us any news since post #101, you guys are wrong. Branflakes posted a newer message a few days ago. Will look for the post number and edit this message with the info.

Edit : Branflakes posted a reply in post #283, on June 25th.
  • martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    EXACTLY why I'm sitting out till this is resolved. It's hard for me not to comment on what I had and what worked before last wednesday but I would consider returning to the game less mail items for a lump sum payment from Cryptic for the stolen items. About 200K dilithium and 10 Million EC should about cover it. I was lucky to pull my lockbox ships and consoles out before the system was killed by the lack of forsight by the database programmers.

10 mil ec, lol are you kidding, my fed orions, gorns & nausican bo's were 20 hours of grinding (you can't get the unbound anymore), phased polaron accx2 turrets & dhc, ect
    I want my stuff back, not 10 mil ec.
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • furiousfeenixfuriousfeenix Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes its time for someone to give us some sort of update. It is feeling like they are waiting for this to die again.
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As a lifer shouldn't we have a much larger mail capicaty than F2P? Secondly how can we prove what items were in the mail? I also noticed several Purple Doffs missing from my inventory when the LoR went live like my Exo-comp that was bound.

This is another case of screwd the pooch and we the players have no recourse... perhaps Sen. Joe McCarthy was right about the cyber world too.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do remember the Dev's warning about the storing of TRIBBLE in the mail system, apparently no one bothered to listen and just complained at the time. Now, switching to a new system, lost people's TRIBBLE because they didn't bother to listen.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited June 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    I do remember the Dev's warning about the storing of TRIBBLE in the mail system, apparently no one bothered to listen and just complained at the time. Now, switching to a new system, lost people's TRIBBLE because they didn't bother to listen.

this would be a valid argument if it was just items that were lost.

unfortunately i lost ALL of my email.. to be honest i didnt have a lot of items..
    i had a few doffs that were sent to me, maybe 20 max.
    i had a few exchange expired emails that i havent gotten around to reselling yet. maybe 20 max per char.. as exchange expired emails are/were character specific.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    arnthebard wrote: »
    As a lifer shouldn't we have a much larger mail capicaty than F2P?
    As a lifer we don't actually get **** (apart from a few shiny items). Support still sucks, that's for sure.

I lost two Ferasan Bridge Officers in this 'mail crisis'. That's two Ferasan Bridge Officers I purchased via the Zen Store (a total of 1000zen). I sold them on the exchange, the sales didn't go through so the items were 'returned' to me. Except the mails that I got with the returned items were actually empty.

I've essentially been robbed of 1000zen. Support Tickets haven't resolved anything. It's been about a month, and I've got nothing back except for a couple of automated responses and a bunch of moderators on a power trip who have moved all the threads I've created on the matter in to one big ****stick of a thread which doesn't get checked over by Devs anyway.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Random forum threads and even more random messages on entirely unrelated systems (e.g. Twitter) are not warnings.

In-game messages, mandatory read messages with specific dates to act by ARE warnings.

You know as well as I do which one we didn't get.
  • schizojrschizojr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Have you read the thread at all ? Let me resume for you the issue : The Devs did not warn us of any empending mail deletion of any kind. In fact, when they put in the 100 items limit, basically with the LoR update, they didn't even bother to mention it in the patch notes. That's pretty stealthy.

Now, I for one, I believe this "mail deletion" was not made in purpose. It's a programming mistake of some kind, but is still very irritating.

Second of all, it not like they deleted only what was above the 100 item limit in my mailbox. Everything's gone. Got 3 mails left, with one being a text only email with no items attached. So what you're implying in your comment doesn't even make any sense.

I did not complained about the 100 item limit. I understand. Am I happy that they didn't put in anything else in place, as was proposed here, as a solution for storing doffs (which you can't put in your bank) ? No. Will I spend a single dime more on this game ? Hell no.

I was actually in the process of empty my mail, because being over the limit, I couldn't receive any more mail and it was not very practical.

Oh, and you say you remember the Devs warning us about it ? Please, give us proof of that. A forum post, a patch note, heck, even an in-game mail. I dare you. Oh, don't bother if it was posted on Twitter. This is not an official communication channel between the Devs and the player base, by any means. Would you warn your boss that you're quitting your job over a Tweet ? Don't think so.
This discussion has been closed.