test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #45 Discussion Thread

Comments

• danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    The fallout of that story should be interesting, danqueller. I take it the Commander wasn't so thoroughly fooled as Rycho had assumed?

Well, Tosik certainly could have thought of it, but in his state of shock, it would taken a bit longer. Also, he knows he's already treading on thin ice, so ordering the transport of a fellow officer who can deny everything and had already proven adept at twisting events to his benefit would have been adding even more risk to his plate.

On the other hand, you don't get to be Commanding Officer without getting to know your crew, and being perceptive of the situation around you. :)
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Woot, first lit challenge I actually got around to doing!

Welcome to the LCs :) Very cool entry, it's nice to see the return of the Xindi :cool:
    edited June 2013
    danqueller wrote: »
    Posted my entry. Will read over other entries soon, but I generally try to avoid doing so before my own is posted to keep the work clean of unconscious copying of other people's ideas and stories. Hopefully, I got the formatting so it is easier to read but not disruptive. Enjoy!

Very nice :cool: Rycho is fast becoming the breakout character, and the Commander still remains anonymous :cool:
  • knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well got the first part up, tying several of my char's together. Going to try to get the rest of it up by this weekend. one things for sure, if Schrodi survives this, she's gonna have a lot of explaining to do when she hauls her ship back to ESD. ;)
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

edited June 2013
    well got the first part up, tying several of my char's together. Going to try to get the rest of it up by this weekend. one things for sure, if Schrodi survives this, she's gonna have a lot of explaining to do when she hauls her ship back to ESD. ;)

Fantastic, can't wait to read part two :cool:
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fantastic, can't wait to read part two :cool:

Neither can I, to be honest. :D

A really cool story, knightraider6. Definitely looking forward to reading the rest. :)
    76561198160276582.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @knightraider - really looking forward to the conclusion. The "insane" running gag was nice, too. :)

@amurorx0 - intriguing. Cagalli's compensators must also be necessary to permit such a being to live in a universe with our laws of physics - a mass so great in such a small area should be collapsing into a singularity, or neutronium at the very least...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Good news...a story is indeed underway, though its scope is as yet unknown. Its title will be "Black Days," and it will start looking at the fallout of the Interdictor incident. Not sure yet whether I will go into the full Board of Inquiry or not (may not be able to complete research for that in time), but I have a definite idea of how to set up Alyosha's return to Earth for the inquiry.

Cookies to anyone who gets the cultural reasons I named the story what I did (and there is more than simply being ominous and suggesting this time will not be pleasant for Alyosha). It's a play on something...let's see if anyone can figure it out. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sander233 wrote: »

@masopw - THAT was very interesting! I enjoyed that immensely - thank you for sharing! Q, multiple realities, mirror universe, temporal paradoxes and red matter all at once? I think that has to set some sort of record...

Thanks, sander233!

Tried to pop the kitchen sink in there too, but it just wouldn't fit...

A least I didn't have them exceeding the max warp limit and devolving into some type of slug...that would have been absurd...

Seriously, glad you enjoyed it.

I had some delusuions of grandeur about trying to make that story a mission in the Foundry...and then reality slaps me upside the head with a clock, asking exactly how I planned on finding the time.
    edited June 2013
    So, perusing some old stuff on the Interwebs, I found a link to a site called I Write Like. It does a statistical analysis of a writing sample (the longer the better, apparently) to figure out what popular author you write most like. (Spoiler: If you submit internet comments or blog posts, it will almost certainly tell you you write like Cory Doctorow.)

Out of curiosity, I started feeding it the stories I've written here. Apparently, my Nniol stories are written in a style similar to that of Dan Brown; my Grunt stories come across as flavored with Arthur C. Clarke; and my first tale here, of VA Sills and the Hans Asperger, resembled the writing style of Isaac Asimov. Heady company indeed!

I thought it was fun. Anyone else want to give it a shot?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited June 2013
    So, perusing some old stuff on the Interwebs, I found a link to a site called I Write Like. It does a statistical analysis of a writing sample (the longer the better, apparently) to figure out what popular author you write most like. (Spoiler: If you submit internet comments or blog posts, it will almost certainly tell you you write like Cory Doctorow.)

Out of curiosity, I started feeding it the stories I've written here. Apparently, my Nniol stories are written in a style similar to that of Dan Brown; my Grunt stories come across as flavored with Arthur C. Clarke; and my first tale here, of VA Sills and the Hans Asperger, resembled the writing style of Isaac Asimov. Heady company indeed!

Just did it, myself. :)

For Veleen Takor, my new Romulan Alt, her first story introducing her has a style like James Fenimore Cooper's, the story where she sides with the Federation and becomes involved with Section 31 has a flavor of Dan Brown, my piece on Mirror Lelouch resembles the style of Jonathan Swift, and my very first Lit challenge seems to resemble stories from David Foster Wallace.

I'm assuming that that's pretty good. :cool:
    76561198160276582.png
  • amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I put mine up, a brief flashback into the mind of my resident lunatic, Cagalli.
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    Good news...a story is indeed underway, though its scope is as yet unknown. Its title will be "Black Days," and it will start looking at the fallout of the Interdictor incident. Not sure yet whether I will go into the full Board of Inquiry or not (may not be able to complete research for that in time), but I have a definite idea of how to set up Alyosha's return to Earth for the inquiry.

Cookies to anyone who gets the cultural reasons I named the story what I did (and there is more than simply being ominous and suggesting this time will not be pleasant for Alyosha). It's a play on something...let's see if anyone can figure it out. ;)

A reference to the Black Sea in Russia?
    edited June 2013

That was fun :D I got Jane Austen, HP Lovecraft, and Margaret Attwood. Not sure if that's a :eek: or a :cool:
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I got Jane Austen, HP Lovecraft, and Margaret Attwood.

They are :cool:, :eek: and :D in that order.
    edited June 2013
    amurorx0 wrote: »
    I put mine up, a brief flashback into the mind of my resident lunatic, Cagalli.

Very interesting story.

Never realized your Cagalli had that much mass.

On another note, that I Write Like site says that your story has a similar style to those by Arthur C. Clarke.
    76561198160276582.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A reference to the Black Sea in Russia?

Nope. Hmm...maybe it's not that well known outside of Russia...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited June 2013
    They are :cool:, :eek: and :D in that order.

:D What was your result?
    edited June 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    Nope. Hmm...maybe it's not that well known outside of Russia...
    I doubt it's a reference to a Black Mass :eek: Maybe it will become clearer on reading the entry :cool:
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited June 2013

That's pretty cool.

A few random samples from my novels returned Dan Brown, Michael Crichton, William Gibson, and weirdly, (considering they're military-espionage technothrillers) James Joyce and Oscar Wilde. No hints of Larry Bond, Tom Clancy or Clive Cussler, which most actual readers compare my work to.

My STO fanfcs returned the likes of Douglas Adams, Dan Brown (again) Arthur C. Clark, George Orwell, Oscar Wilde (again) and P.G. Wodehouse. (?)

So what I'm wondering is, where's my movie deal? :confused: :mad:

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • patchouli19patchouli19 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Welcome to the LCs :) Very cool entry, it's nice to see the return of the Xindi :cool:

Thank you! I've been reading through the entries here and previous challenges as well. I'm really impressed with the ability of this community and how friendly everyone is.
  • masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2013

interesting...Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Palahniuk, David Foster Wallace, and yep, Cory Doctorow.
    edited June 2013
    Okay, got some more reading done.

@cosmonaut - wonderful entry, as usual. One of my favorite parts about reading all the LCs is seeing where people take different species that haven't really been well-established in canon. I really love the mystery and the mystique surrounding the Orions' slave culture, and the way you and patrickngo have sort of dived in from different ends and come up with some pretty similar conclusions is especially interesting.

@jonsills - another thing I love is mission adaptations, and watching people fill in between the lines and tell their story through the games. Very well done!

@maverickdude - too many ?s! :( I'll get back to you after you edit it.

@patchouli19 - whoa! Talk about peace through tyranny! I hope you'll be exploring this storyline further in future LCs...

@danqueller - I think this ongoing feud between two such profoundly arrogant individuals as Tosik and Rycho is one of the most amusing plots I've read in a long time. Needless to say, I'm loving it.

@knightraider6 - first off, great intro lyric (huge fan of Rush.) Second, yay moar Polekitty! And finally, yay moar Schrodi! Oh, wonderfully insane Schrodi... :D I do hope there's more of this to come...

@amurorx0 - very cool bit of backstory! Again, I'm hoping it doesn't end there.

- Anne Bredon
  • superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I put some of my entries into the I Write Like site too. The results: Dan Brown (when Captain Carter dies), Agatha Christie (when Carter ends up in a coma), and David Foster Wallace (never heard of him, when my ship got renamed and for my latest draft). Strangely enough, my current draft is about people's motivations and pleasures and is somewhat downcast, and it turns out that Mr. Wallace committed suicide. How bizarre.
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sander233 wrote: »

@aetan66 - oh, you tease...

Really? I'l have to pocket that for a later entry, but I've decided to turn my story into something else.
    Truthfully I posted a wrong message, and to save face typed that up.......
    But that's good to know
    @ aten66 - will your entry be depressing?

...Of course I can still work this in somehow....

I love the Summer Event!
  • amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Very interesting story.

Never realized your Cagalli had that much mass.

On another note, that I Write Like site says that your story has a similar style to those by Arthur C. Clarke.

I put some of my other entries in and had Dan Brown, J.K. Rowling & Douglas Adams, Douglas Adams being my longest entry
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I managed to get my entry in a little earlier this time. It wasn't initially how i was planning to write it but i was overall pleased with out it went out.

I'll have to check out that link and see what mine says, Probably "you write like a 5 year old with a crayon".
    edited June 2013
    That was a very serious (and good) story, Wraith, but this:
    "You can not just inject a dead body with blood from someone else to bring it back Captain, that is just plain ludicrous. That would be like me using a hypospray of Gorn DNA to regrow your arm. It just does not work that way."
    made me literally LOL. :D
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited June 2013
    Thank you! I've been reading through the entries here and previous challenges as well. I'm really impressed with the ability of this community and how friendly everyone is.

You're very welcome, it's a great community, with some great writers :) I love the LCs as writing practice, but reading other's entries is always a pleasure :)