test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transfer to Steam

fosterfacefosterface Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Academy
I remember back when the Steamrunner promo was going on there was a thread about how to port your current install of STO into Steam without having to download the whole thing over again.

Can someone help point me in right direction?

Foster
Post edited by fosterface on

Comments

• Options
    zzomb1zzomb1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im looking for the same thing .(would be more interested maybe doing it with Arc too if theres a way for that) I had my STO client coppied from other PC while back. And idk how to make it work in steam , and ARc wont recognize it either.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    Easy Peasey.

1) Start up steam
    2) Tell Steam to install Star Trek Online. (yes, really)
    3) Immediately go to your game list, and pause the download.
    4) Find your existing install of STO (Sometimes this is in Program Files, sometimes it's in users/Blah/)
    5) Copy the contents of your Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\ folder to your new Steam STO directory (probably \Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Star Trek Online\ or something)
    6) Go back to Steam, and unpause the download. This should complete pretty quickly.
    7) Tell Steam to Verify Files.
    8) Run the game from Steam!
    9) ???
    10) Profit!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Easy Peasey.

1) Start up steam
    4) Find your existing install of STO (Sometimes this is in Program Files, sometimes it's in users/Blah/)
    5) Copy the contents of your Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\ folder to your new Steam STO directory (probably \Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Star Trek Online\ or something)
    6) Go back to Steam, and unpause the download. This should complete pretty quickly.
    9) ???
    10) Profit!

11) fix issues with STO under Steam
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Easy Peasey.
    9) Extended Trial Balance
    10) Profit! (or Loss)

Accountancy solves the profit meme.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nevawinna wrote: »

What issues with STO under steam?
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Steam overlay doesn't work well with STO, after a friend`s message pops up you can't toggle run for some reason and buttons such as on hotbar don't work on first click, and sometimes R doesn't toggle between full throttle and full stop but toggles full impulse instead. F12 is Steam default for screenshots and STO default for rearrange HUD.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only one of those issues I've had is the F12 overlap. Since I don't rearrange the HUD enough to warrant it having its own hotkey, I just unbound F12 in-game.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Easy Peasey.

1) Start up steam
    9) ???
    10) Profit!

That used to be the case but I think you'll find steps 4 and 5 are different now.
    Steam downloads games first in a 'downloading' subfolder, with another subfolder under it with the game steam ID number as it's name.

Steam downloads it into there, then when finished copies it into the proper final destination.

At least that's how it's worked with other titles I've recently had to restore after reinstalling steam.

So, an extra step between step 4 and 5 might be copying those files into the appropriate 'downloading' subfolder instead, resume update etc etc
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That used to be the case but I think you'll find steps 4 and 5 are different now.
    Steam downloads games first in a 'downloading' subfolder, with another subfolder under it with the game steam ID number as it's name.

Steam downloads it into there, then when finished copies it into the proper final destination.

At least that's how it's worked with other titles I've recently had to restore after reinstalling steam.

So, an extra step between step 4 and 5 might be copying those files into the appropriate 'downloading' subfolder instead, resume update etc etc

Fun fact: If you do steps 4 and 5 -before- step 2, you can safely skip steps 3, 6, and 7. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

they also forgot to bind sto to steam account after you buy ships and stuffs from steam ( LoR stuffs or Steamrunner or zen) ...like all other games.It will disappear from your library when you uninstall it .
    Steam overlay doesn't work well with STO, after a friend`s message pops up you can't toggle run for some reason and buttons such as on hotbar don't work on first click, and sometimes R doesn't toggle between full throttle and full stop but toggles full impulse instead. F12 is Steam default for screenshots and STO default for rearrange HUD.

I dont have that problem on my home PC ,but on my laptop the thing is really slow.Im pretty sure the problem is on steam side because their client uses CPU like no other thing .
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2013

That's my question I've had better performance actually. I downloaded it and logged in and poof everything was working everything was setup properly and even my keybinds and element locations were in the same place. Not sure what his problems are.