test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kerbal Space Program

starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Ten Forward
I am thinking about getting this game from Steam. Has anyone played this and what was your reaction to the game?

For those that haven't played the game, it involves sending aliens called Kerbals into space by designing rockets and space planes and sending them to the moon or other planets or create a space station in orbit.
Post edited by starkaos on

Comments

• Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I haven't played it, but a few fleeties have gotten hooked on it.

From what I can tell, while it seems very fun and such, don't let that cute facade fool you, apparently it's hard as hell to actually get the stuff going. Sure, you may say that 'oh, getting a rocket into space can't be that difficult', well, it is! :D
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    , it involves sending aliens called Kerbals into space by designing rockets and space planes and sending them to the moon ,,,

Can you name the Kerbals? Cause I'd love to name one Alice.

"One of these days, Alice...to the moon!" :D
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I haven't played it, but a few fleeties have gotten hooked on it.

From what I can tell, while it seems very fun and such, don't let that cute facade fool you, apparently it's hard as hell to actually get the stuff going. Sure, you may say that 'oh, getting a rocket into space can't be that difficult', well, it is! :D

Its not like its Rocket Science. Wait a minute, that is exactly what it is.
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been looking at this game too. Curious what it'd be like...

I could either be really nice and interesting, or it could stink - I doubt there'd be much of a middle ground for me :p
  • Options
    nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been playing for a few weeks now with a few of my fleeties. Its certainly fun but it is a steep learning curve.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Played it before it was released properly...

Bloody good fun - my crowning achievement was making a vtol aircraft of a sort that (once you got it on its side without blowing up) would fly up; ignite its main engines and fly like a plane for quite a while before exploding in mid air :D

If you can get it and can wrap your head around the complexities, its a really good laugh
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *downloads demo*

Ok, I'll give the demo a shot :)
  • Options
    hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2013
    I played it and enjoyed it. There's a lot of satisfaction in getting a kerbal to the mun for the first time. The tutorial videos on youtube are pretttty much mandatory to figure out how to fly. They only have the first few on their website.

It already has quite a fun fanbase.
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Its not like its Rocket Science. Wait a minute, that is exactly what it is.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/nasas-jet-propulsion-lab-is-obsessed-with-a-certain-game-and-i-bet-you-can-
  • Options
    sparcehvsparcehv Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I`ve got it almost from the start and is my preferred game when STo is running maintance :rolleyes:

It`s fun and addictive with a (as mentioned before) a steep learning curve. Especially when you want to dock in space.
    Captain of the federation starship U.S.S. Iridium.

In the end.... we`re all Ferengi!
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It was a lot more fun in early alpha where 9 out of 10 rockets exploded before reaching 10km up :D

Very fun game, DEFINITELY worth getting. The latest additions make it even better. Visually it's also extremely stunning. Lots of cool mods out there to make it easier too, depending how hard you want the game to be!

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.