test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RR science non-options...a dealbreaker for this faction :-(

gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I try to avoid complaint threads. But this is one complaint I am afraid I must voice, since it has completely killed the wonderful enthusiam I'd had for playing my Reman toon.

There are NO Tier 5 science options for ships. Not even a C-store ship. I mean, even the KDF has the Varanus, and from what we see in the show, the Romulans should be much more scientifically sophisticated than the Klingons--perhaps even on par with the Federation.

But knowing that there is no endgame ship option for a Romulan sci...it makes all of my work and the great story that there was feel very empty in the end. Unfortunately I do not see myself revisiting my Reman except for DOFFing, until this is rectified. :(

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Aside from how you can set the T'varo-R and Dhelen-R to be half-sci-half-tac via their universal boffs, you seem to have overlooked the Ha'nom. And then there are singularity powers, two of which are practically copies of sci powers.

Yes Roms don't have as good of science ships as they do combat ships. But it is greater than zero.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They do have a Science ship Ha'nom Guardian Warbird

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ha%27nom_Guardian_Warbird
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I fly the standard Ha'nom on my Reman sci and do fine. Even take it out into PvP, where it does fine, provided I join a team where I can utilise my team-oriented build to some extent.

It's a rather nice ship.

I am also considering getting the Dhelan retro, for when I want to hurt things myself, while using science skills too.

*shrug*
    Of course, more sci ships would be nice, but let's not pretend there isn't a single option for a sci captain.
  • stonedpenguinstonedpenguin Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2013
    KDF did not start out with an abundance of ships. They will come just be patient...very patient...:D
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can also use the Tholian Orb Weaver or Recluse in the mean time if you can't wait. The mirror Ha'nom and Ha'nom are two capable science ships that perform like the DSSV and Recon Sci respectively.

There are whisperings that the Temporal Science vessel is coming to a Romulan near you as well sometime in the future.
  • corjetcorjet Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Aside from how you can set the T'varo-R and Dhelen-R to be half-sci-half-tac via their universal boffs, you seem to have overlooked the Ha'nom. And then there are singularity powers, two of which are practically copies of sci powers.

Yes Roms don't have as good of science ships as they do combat ships. But it is greater than zero.

The Ha'nom is Tier 4. NOT Tier 5. I specifically said Tier 5 in my post. Even the Klingons have the Tier 5 Varanus.

As for the T'Varo and Dhelan--until they give those ships universal commander slots, it still isn't really a science vessel.

While the Ha'nom isn't bad, I think it was an absolutely poor decision on Cryptic's part for there not to be at least ONE Tier 5 ship available for each profession for the Romulans. Until that's fixed...I am just going to stick to my Fed sci.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    The Ha'nom is Tier 4. NOT Tier 5. I specifically said Tier 5 in my post. Even the Klingons have the Tier 5 Varanus.

That you don't know what tier 5 is, that's the problem.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/ef/05/ef05415bb65026d75946f6b4b4e43a571366399382.jpg

Tier 1 - Ensign, Warrior, Civilian and Lieutenant
    Tier 2 - Lieutenant Commander and Centurion
    Tier 3 - Commander and Subcommander
    Tier 4 - Captain and Commander
    Tier 5 - Rear Admiral, Lower Half, Brigadier General, and Subadmiral I
    Tier 5 - Rear Admiral, Upper Half, Major General, and Subadmiral II
    Tier 5 - Vice Admiral and Lieutenant General

So you made a thread to post the problem...that you don't understand this game's tier system.
    Well done.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I should have said Vice Admiral level. Whatever. The point still remains--there is NOTHING for a sci at the highest level. The Ha'nom is Level 40. There is nothing at Level 50. Very unbalanced.

• overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Let's start out with the first thing: Even if you have play Federation, you will notice the only difference between a lv 50 ship is the followingL
    1) Cost Zen
    2) Comes with a special console. Still only have 9 console slot.

Varanus is the same as these lv 50 ships.

The 3 packs, along with Steam runner, also comes with an extra console slot. The 3 packs will also come with at least one universal Boff seating.

So OP, as everyone said, we are confused - what do you mean by "lv 50", because there are zero difference between lv 40 and the lv 50 ships in terms of practicality. I can only see two possibility:
    1) The science vessel you are refering to is the Vesta, which not only give you an extra console but hangars in addition. However, For most people, when they think of Fed Sci vessel, they are thinking of the Voyager retro, which only satisfy point 1 and 2.
    2) You want a special console that hopefully give you an "I win" condition.

Though i do have to sympathize you when people keep recommending fleet equipments - I always think that in giving advice, one should never, ever use fleet stuff.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I should have said Vice Admiral level. Whatever. The point still remains--there is NOTHING for a sci at the highest level. The Ha'nom is Level 40. There is nothing at Level 50. Very unbalanced.

The Hanom is one of the best sci ships in the game, and it has an even better 5 sci console Fleet version, its T-5 shipyard, but many fleets sell access for a reasonable price.

If you want them to make a level 50 sci ship in the z-store it won't be any better then a free level 40 ship besides a unique console. It will still get 9 console slots and similar hull and shield modifier to free level 40 ships, just like every other z-store ship except for the 3 pack ships which get 10 consoles.

Compare the z-store fed sci ships to the free ones, they aren't really better. Free level 40 ships are just as much an endgame ship as z-store ships, and they all can get Fleet upgrades.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Not at all. Actually, the Rommies have it better than the KDF...

You cite Varanus as the KDF comparison, and target to attain. Let's see:

KDF Varanus, T5-L40. RR Ha'Nom, T5-L40. Ha'Nom is "free", while Varanus is C-store...
    KDF Varanus Fleet Support, T5-L50. Tier 3 fleet shipyard. RR Fleet Ha'Nom, T5-L50, Tier 5 fleet shipyard.

My KDF Orion Sci is stuck in a Vo'Quv because I'm not in the mood to pay 2000-ish Zen to get her a recon science vessel, while my RR Rommie is already looking into the Ha'Nom when I get him up to 50, as a "free" RSV in a Rommie Skin... :P
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Admiral Ship is an Admiral Ship. The only difference, as already pointed out, is a Vice Admiral Ship costs Zen and has a special Console, usually only useable on that ship.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

As for the T'Varo and Dhelan--until they give those ships universal commander slots, it still isn't really a science vessel.

While the Ha'nom isn't bad, I think it was an absolutely poor decision on Cryptic's part for there not to be at least ONE Tier 5 ship available for each profession for the Romulans. Until that's fixed...I am just going to stick to my Fed sci.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Varanus_Support_Vessel

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ha%27nom_Guardian_Warbird

Both ships are very similar. The Romulan ship is free and has a battle cloak and is more tactically based. Also the Ha'nom can use tier 1-4 Romulan Warbird Consoles. The only real advantage the Varanus has is it comes with its own unique console and +1 turn rate.
  • whytelyonwhytelyon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Only real difference between the level 40 ships and the level 50 c-store ships is only 8 consoles. Additionally, there is a Fleet Version of the Ha'nom (which by the FSMs costs about the same as an average C-store ship.)
    -- I will do what I must to aid my family, friends, and fleet, in that order; no matter how many things, laws... or people... I have to break in order to do so. --
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

There is a fleet version of the Ha'nom which is a 10 console lvl 50 ship.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited June 2013

no, there is a fleet version of said ship...problem for you is solved, get 4 fleet ship modules and buy that thing.
    if you don't accept this ship as a viable sci ship for your character then that is not cryptics fault.

the only dumb thing about it is, that it is only available if you have a t5 shipyard. considering that this is the only sci vessel option as far as i can see, it really makes it a little hard to get one.

also, but thats unrelated, why do people feel forced to fly a sci ship with their sci captain? in my opinion that is not a very strong combo to start with.
    Go pro or go home
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    althrough the KDF only true sci-ship is the varanus, they also have the vo'quv, and last i checked it was sci-focused, and there is the Kar'fi too which has cmdr sci, all those ships have some good sci focus, the romulans pretty much have only the ha'nom.

hopefully the scimitar sci version will bring some extra sci options into the table.
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fleet Ha'nom requires lvl 5 SB. Are we really citing to that as a common solution to the OP's problem? :rolleyes: He has a point in that Romulans have zero choice in sci ships its either Ha'nom or not Ha'nom. However, more choices will come. I for one hate flying anything that makes the Good Year blimp look tiny in comparison. This is how life in the KDF has been and you have to learn this skill called patience. We all know MMO players don't have much in this skill. Worse yet are Fed players since the dev team caters to them and only them 90% of the time (LoR = the remaining 10%). :D
  • avengerkid1993avengerkid1993 Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well there is the H'Nom that is a good sci ship I think.

Then there are the T'Varo and Dhelan that are half sci.

Finally, I think there will be a sci version of the scimitar carrier, coming up from the Scimitar Bundle.

but yeah, I think that KDF and Roms should have more options in choosing their ships.
    at least as far as concerns the look.

FED have dozen of ships to choice from.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    phoenicius wrote: »
    althrough the KDF only true sci-ship is the varanus, they also have the vo'quv, and last i checked it was sci-focused, and there is the Kar'fi too which has cmdr sci, all those ships have some good sci focus, the romulans pretty much have only the ha'nom.

hopefully the scimitar sci version will bring some extra sci options into the table.

The Vo'Quv, though having some heavy SCI traits, is actually quite limited in what it can potentially do with them. The reason being is the turn rate of 5. A number of SCI abilities have narrow arcs, to include the nasty Subnucleonic Beam. To use those, the player has to do alot of positioning and preplanning to land narrow arc abilities, most esp. in PVP. The Kar'Fi will use the bulk of those SCI slots for survivability since it only has a ENG Lt station. Not doing so will make the Kar'Fi user highly vulnerable. I've usually had room for only 1 offensive SCI ability on a Kar'Fi build, becuase you MUST devote the basics like Hazard Emitters, Polarize Hull, Transfer Shield Strength, and Science Team if you can. Because ENG-wise, you'll probably only have Emergency Power to Shields 1 and 2, and that's it.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    alopen wrote: »
    This is how life in the KDF has been and you have to learn this skill called patience.

If you're a paying customer - I know that's not everyone in this case - then the reasonable expectation is satisfaction for your money now, not at some indeterminate point in the future.

Patience may be a virtue and quite admirable in many domains but not something one should expect in copious amounts from customers. Because if you do then most of them will go and become someone else's customers.

I wouldn't scream that the sky is falling over this one but I am disappointed. There really is only one Romulan science vessel. The fleet version requires a level 5 sb and the mirror version is one of the more expensive on the exchange.
  • andrewgariskandrewgarisk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Scimitar 3 pack is suppose to have a Sci variation (as mentioned in the UGC podcast)