test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is 120k dil worth the Thunderchild?

jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Federation Discussion
While I refuse to pay actual cash for a t3 machine, I really like the looks of the thunderchild. However, while I do like the looks, at the end of the day is just that, looks. For 120k dil (which can translate to about 1000 zen), do you think it the thunderchild's Phaser Point Defense is worth it?

And I know it doesn't have to be on the Armitage. Right now, aside from my armitage, I also have a multi-vector patrol, Steamrunner retro, and Ambassador retro.
Post edited by jestersage on

Comments

• medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you do a lot of the PvE and episode missions it is absolutely worth it.
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One of the best ships I ever bought Fed side.
    The point defense never stops being useful.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Point Defense console is worth the costs by itself. It makes a dandy accessory for use on a Shuttle or Fighter...
  • supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Definitely. All the time, the PDS has helped me overcome obstacles like the Heavy Plasma Torpedo, Boarding Parties, and occasionally, a Borg Plasma Bolt.
  • badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Thunderchild is a great ship. Worth the money and the console is very useful.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you really like the look, you can change your Armitage to look like a Thunderchild after you have it purchased.

I've found the Point Defense hugely useful in leveling chars, and on fighters, but I typically don't use it on level 50 standard ships, as I usually have too many universals that boost stats (Borg console, Rom console, etc.) or are ship specials to leave it on very long after hitting 50 on most builds.
  • oneklump1997oneklump1997 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes. The phaser PDS is fantastic, even more so if you are running phaser consoles. It chews through fighters, probes, and even a 3 pack of frigates die in seconds to this thing.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    PDS is the absolute must have tholian web disintegrator...+ all of what people said above
    Go pro or go home
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's another point, the Thunderchild skin can be used on the Armitage at tier 5.
  • zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Point Defense console is worth the costs by itself. It makes a dandy accessory for use on a Shuttle or Fighter...
    Definitely. All the time, the PDS has helped me overcome obstacles like the Heavy Plasma Torpedo, Boarding Parties, and occasionally, a Borg Plasma Bolt.
    baudl wrote: »
    PDS is the absolute must have tholian web disintegrator...+ all of what people said above

How does the Armitage?s torpedo console compare? Do you consider it as useful as the phaser console?
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited June 2013
    The Armitage's torpedo console only fits the Armitage so would be significantly less useful IMO.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the reply. For 120k dil / 1000 zen, it's not too bad. So right now the real issue is to whether retire the freaking Miranda or the Nova just so I can buy the thunderchild.

How bad is it to pilot a Miranda is a nSTF?
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How does the Armitage?s torpedo console compare? Do you consider it as useful as the phaser console?

There are a few differences, besides the obvious and beforementioned limitation to the armitage. (used values from one of my ships, can vary)

Phaser (/w 4 phaser consoles)
    - 1.000 dmg/sec x4 for 10 seconds. 5 km range. Gets divided up between available targets. dmg x3 against frigates, dmg x10 against small craft/mines. +25% accuracy.

Due to the scaling against small targets and the additional accuracy you'll wipe out any frigates or small craft that are near you. It's enough to kill a BoP spawn in CSE.

Torpedo (without a photon console)
    - 2.460 dmg x6, maximum of 8 targets. 10 km range.

You'll always shoot 6 torps at up to 8 targets in range (so up to 48 torps). Since there is no upscaling against small craft or frigates and no additional accuracy, it might not be enough to completely clear a group of fighters or frigates.

The smaller the opponents are, the more effective the phaser is going to be, while the torpedo stays the same. The more targets you have, the more effective the torpedo will be, while the phaser will split up it's damage between targets.

How bad is it to pilot a Miranda is a nSTF?

Pretty bad unless you stick to certain activities that don't require much dps and where you won't be shot at. Intercepting BoPs and Raptors in Cure could work for example. But even then you're most likely going to be a burden on your group once your task is done and prepare to get yelled at and insulted. Therefore I'd only recommend taking it into an STF if you're in a group that'll be ok with it (fleeties, friends, etc...)
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited June 2013
    If you make a group and tell them your flying a Miranda by all means, but to randomly que your really hurting the group.

T5 ships for T5 content unless your organising fun runs with fleet/friends.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ohh I thought I was cool naming my ship thunderchild after war of the worlds. had no idea there was an actual ship/hull in the game called thunderchild.
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Point Defense console can be used on any of your ships, where the Armitage console can only be used on the Armitage.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Save your dith. for ship when you reach VA as you can't use this at higher lvls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers