test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Get Tholians out of the game!

Comments

• dashuk2381dashuk2381 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Only thing I don't like about the Tholians is the disruption torpedo spam, and the fact that my thermionic torp launcher seems to be 10% as effective as theirs...it seems like every fleet action or red alert I get in with the Tholians is just them spamming torp spread 3 every 5 seconds with those damn torpedoes.

That having been said I do like them in game as they are one of the few enemy groups left that you can't rip through like tissue paper. Most of the other enemy NPCs in this game are a complete joke.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    uss917019 wrote: »
    OK guys the title of this is just an expression saying that the Tholians are the most annoying enemies look all they do is the same god damn thing again and again heres an example:

I'm guessing English isn't your first language. You might want to reconsider your use of the highlighted expression in the future.
  • slapjanusslapjanus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tholians are fun the is also a DOFF for it so you do a lot more damage to them i like Tholians:P
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited June 2013

1st they shoot you

Good lord... if this is a problem than Cryptic should delete every enemy type in game. You know fighting works that way, I shoot you, you shoot me.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dkratasco wrote: »
    Good lord... if this is a problem than Cryptic should delete every enemy type in game. You know fighting works that way, I shoot you, you shoot me.

Nice one. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK guys the title of this is just an expression saying that the Tholians are the most annoying enemies look all they do is the same god damn thing again and again heres an example:

1st they shoot you
    2nd they starting to remove your weapons
    3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing
    4rth now they start putting these caging spam

And they restart the same cycle over and over.

Now I am trying to target the little nodes on the side to get out but you know what I am clicking a lot and it does nothing on them, I look at my weapon power fully charged but still my weapons wont work this issue needs to be fixed.

You forget 1 thing! They are soooo cute :D
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • ajma420ajma420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Tholians are a challenging enemy in their own way...

But then again, isn't every enemy?

The Borg use overpowered weapons, shield neutralizers, and adapt to weapon types in ground combat.
    Federation and Terran ships LOVE tractor beams and TBR, and their phasers occasionally shut down subsystems.
    The Fel'khri have battle cloak and Tric torpedoes that knock you around like a pinball

The truth is that there are strengths and weaknesses for every enemy. If you want to keep your weapons online, use weapon batteries, and the tholian web nodes are weak enough that TBR, photonic shockwave, or a point defense system can easily decimate the orb weaver's web.

You still don't like the tholians? GET OVER IT!
    Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
    Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
    Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
  • carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dkratasco wrote: »
    You shooting me is overpowered. NERF IT NAO :P
  • aveldraaveldra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tholians aren't a challenge unless you actually manage to get into the Tholian Red Alert, and even then only because you decided to or accidentally pull every single one of them on to yourself. Tholians I find are not hard, intimidating, or even a menacing threat. At best they are just a giant pest, with their weapon shutdowns and that web of theirs, which is about the only thing they got in their arsenal to even slow players down.

Save your FAWs, Tractor Repulsors, for webs and conserve [wcap]/wep batteries for shutdowns. Speaking of which, Red Matter Capacitor still doesn't work on bringing up wep systems anymore, and last I checked (could be just me not noticing) but it doesn't bring shields back up anymore either.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited June 2013

1st they shoot you
    3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing

Now I am trying to target the little nodes on the side to get out but you know what I am clicking a lot and it does nothing on them, I look at my weapon power fully charged but still my weapons wont work this issue needs to be fixed.

so let me get this right ....if the game is a little harder and you cant pew pew through something it should be removed ?.......no..... you are dismissed
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • natewest1natewest1 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    never really had an issue with Tholians, they just require a different strategy when dealing with them, you know what to expect when facing them, so deal with it. You expect Birds of Prey to cloak when they are getting beat on, right? its all part of that factions strategy. Now the Elachi...those are annoying...really avoid dealing with them as much as possible.
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First and foremost.

NO. No to any proposal to remove any content.

MikroSopht's 'Back Yard Tin-Can Shoot Simulator' might be a better option for those who aren't really interested in the NPC's actually putting up a fight. Personally, I want the PvE side of the game to involve more than just 'how quick can I kill these guys?'

Now...

"1st they shoot you"

Yes. For this reason we call them 'enemies' and is a common mechanic used in many games.

"2nd they starting to remove your weapons"

Yes. This is usually the result of one of two things: One is called 'Science', the other is a 'Special Weapon Bonus Effect'. None of the NPCs have posted on the forums yet about how our abilities and weapon procs affect them, but when that day comes, I fully expect you to be first in line to defend their position.

"3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing"

Yes. It needs buffing so that it can actually hurt you. So I guess I agree with you there.

"4rth now they start putting these caging spam"

Yes. This is very easy to nullify using a variety of means available to all captain types in all types of ship. It is also part of what differentiates them from other enemies you may encounter. Every race you encounter in the game has a different one. Borg have one. Klingons have one. Mirror Universe have one. Romulans Have one. Elachi have one. Gorn have one. Nausicaans have one. Breen have one. Hirogen have one. In fact, most Enemy NPCs in most games have one.

"And they restart the same cycle over and over."

Yes, yes they do. Just like you do too, when you kill things.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • purplebradpurplebrad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First and foremost.

NO. No to any proposal to remove any content.

MikroSopht's 'Back Yard Tin-Can Shoot Simulator' might be a better option for those who aren't really interested in the NPC's actually putting up a fight. Personally, I want the PvE side of the game to involve more than just 'how quick can I kill these guys?'

Now...

"1st they shoot you"

Yes. For this reason we call them 'enemies' and is a common mechanic used in many games.

Yes. This is usually the result of one of two things: One is called 'Science', the other is a 'Special Weapon Bonus Effect'. None of the NPCs have posted on the forums yet about how our abilities and weapon procs affect them, but when that day comes, I fully expect you to be first in line to defend their position.

"3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing"

Yes. It needs buffing so that it can actually hurt you. So I guess I agree with you there.

Yes. This is very easy to nullify using a variety of means available to all captain types in all types of ship. It is also part of what differentiates them from other enemies you may encounter. Every race you encounter in the game has a different one. Borg have one. Klingons have one. Mirror Universe have one. Romulans Have one. Elachi have one. Gorn have one. Nausicaans have one. Breen have one. Hirogen have one. In fact, most Enemy NPCs in most games have one.

this

10char
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Tholians shutting down weapons, problem easily solved, it's called emergency power to weapons
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      I want to be a Tholian.

Yeah, really.

They got what i am lacking. Even with my science skills cranked up and a gazillion science consoles AND emergency power to aux AND that romulan reputation T5 skill my science powers are merely kids play compared to what they do.

they are the anti-science faction. While my tachyon beam is countered by some points in power insulators provided by the odd piece of gear that just happens to have it, cranking power insulators to the max won't save you from the tholians.

Its like npcs use a different set of science skills because someone in charge figured the other set, the one used by that odd class in blue, thats borked.:D
    • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      Tholian proc is lol. Funny how our phaser proc doesn't even compare and they're supposed to do the same thing.
      pvp = small package
    • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      Tholian proc is lol. Funny how our phaser proc doesn't even compare and they're supposed to do the same thing.

I totally agree.

However, this thread's OP is evidence of what would most likely flood the forums if our buffs, debuffs, abilities and procs did the same stuff. Nothing should be OP and nothing should UP, but since we all seem to be quite happy to have '5 minute cure' builds, the only chance the NPC's have is to be buffed to the eyeballs. I think sometimes there is a serious lack of objectivity about a great many elements from a large number of the players of this game, and I am not excluded.

*Disclaimer - this is not a gripe against 5 minute cure builds. The state of the game is the state of the game.*
      "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
    • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      IMO power creep is a necessity in F2P models.
      pvp = small package
    • captainwexlercaptainwexler Member Posts: 60 Arc User
      edited July 2013

1st they shoot you

See, all I see is "Whaaa. Whaaaa. An enemy that doesnt let me just blow them away with my 1337 Dhc's!".
    • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      Now...

"1st they shoot you"

Give this guy a medal. DO IT. DO IT NAO!!!!

(and then get to d choppa after ;P)
      It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    • shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
      edited July 2013

I do remember a NPC Mogai Warbird making posts on this forum a while back complaining about how feds would invade there territory and destroy them over and over, i cant find the post atm tho
      ogew7.jpg
    • revlotrevlot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      I find the AI thinks rather 2 dimensional. I fly high and I fly low and I seem to avoid most of their webs. Tho, as soon as I see a web I target its nodes to release my trapped team member. Love it when I get trapped inside a web with a target, I still have something to shoot at till the web goes away.

EDIT: I got a Sonic Antiproton High Density Beam Rifle Mk XII [CrtH] [Sonic]. Tracks with the Tholian doing constant damage as it skitters around, so all I go to do is hold down the fire button and wave in the basic direction of the Tholian. They Die. I Keep it as a secondary weapon just to hot swap for them. It came out of a blue box prize for completing a medium mission on Nukura Prime. They can be bought on the Exchange too.
    • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      hevach wrote: »
      Also, warp cores just added a new way to get a free single system repair: Search for [WCap] under warp cores. Right now, you can expect to spend a few million for one, but it's coming down pretty rapidly and should stabilize in the next couple weeks.

I dunno about that it still costs 74 mil just to buy a temporal destroyer and 94 mil to buy a temporal science vessel.
    • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      I dunno about that it still costs 74 mil just to buy a temporal destroyer and 94 mil to buy a temporal science vessel.

Temporal destroyers aren't having fleet vendors gut demand. By the time I'd posted that, the price of mk xi purple warp cores had dropped by 60%, and right now it's less than half what it was then, and nobody even has the top tier unlocked in their mines yet.
    • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      LESS Tholians? You kiddin'?

At the moment Tholians are seriously underrated. They only pop up in 1 normal mission: Temporal Ambassador. And guess what? NO ground combat and the space combat is a joke since you can't die, have Mk XII Very Rare stuff AND get help from a ship from the future, which oneshots a Tarantula.

I'd say: MORE Tholians. Give them a few missions of their own. Let them do stuff on a stranded Monarch-class for example (should satisfy the lovers of that ship). They deserve it.

Haters gonna hate ;D
    • argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
      edited July 2013

1st they shoot you

1. everyone shoots at you, so does this mean you also hate:
      klingons, romulans, cardassians, the true way, the dominion, the breen, the undine, the mirror forces, the borg, the iconians, the elachi, and every random unexplored sector species that cryptic throws at you

2. never encountered this glitch, so....full of it

3. what electric charges? unless you have the original crystalline nanofiber set....full of it

4. the tholian webs only come from orb weavers and stasis drones...so.......full of it

as for your first statement of "most annoying enemies" have you even gone up against the latest AI for the borg spheres; those things run run run the flake away from you if you shoot them, and outrun your targetable torpedoes like nothing...so....THOSE dudes are annoying

the Elachi have this thing where they subspace jump behind you all the time, THAT is annoying; the Tholians....are manageable like EVERY other enemy in the game

please.....no trolling on the forum
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      badvaio wrote: »
      The only thing more satisfying than beating a tholian to death with a sword made from one of its brothers is not using a weapon and punching the TRIBBLE out of them.

I want to use this as a signature quote!

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
      Network engineers are not ship designers.
      Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      I send three purple diplomats on a simple gift exchange and they blow it...
      I send three white bartenders on a three day wilderness training exercise and the crit it...

Okay your problem here is you over did it on diplomats which are politicians that don't shut up.
      And any wilderness situation is survivable if you are drunk enough. :D

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
      Network engineers are not ship designers.
      Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      See, all I see is "Whaaa. Whaaaa. An enemy that doesnt let me just blow them away with my 1337 Dhc's!".

To be fair, those ****ing web nodes do have a habit of becoming untargettable from time to time and the "nope sorry sir. Can't shoot that." TRIBBLE has got to be fixed.

I personally have no problem with having to shoot my way out of the webs, but LET me actually shoot my way out.
    • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,662 Arc User
      edited July 2013
      starsvoid wrote: »
      I hate fighting Tholians; their cages are super annoying.

I don't think they should be removed from the game, though.

one of the best ships against tholians is the armitage, with the akira refit point defense added. get netted? pop the turret and the nearest nodes get zapped and you are free. get netted again pop the torpedo point defense rinse and repeat
      We Want Vic Fontaine