test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Celebrating Diversity in Star Trek

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Community Member NicholasJohn16, Fleet Admiral for Stonewall Fleet, has written a Guest Blog that celebrates the diversity found in Star Trek.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• monshmonsh Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This sounds like the perfect event to re-release the IDIC tribble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join our cause now!
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great blog...

I may just drag myself to your in game celebration folks... Sound like it might be possible to just have FUN!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • macintosh78macintosh78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As a member of Stonewall Fleet, I am really proud to see this, NicholasJohn16 has built up an amazing community. I am proud to be a member of the STO community and Stonewall, and really proud of our leader! Grats Nick!
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    monsh wrote: »
    This sounds like the perfect event to re-release the IDIC tribble.

TRIBBLE the tribble, I m still waiting for these to come to the game
  • mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very well-written Nick
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hooray for Diversity!
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • rblaher988rblaher988 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great Blog!!! I will definitely be looking up your channel later tonight, and hope to join in some of the festivities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • whiteonmyojiwhiteonmyoji Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I Salute my Admiral
  • gravity2705gravity2705 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very nice post :)
  • bryguy#1741 bryguy Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I used to be a member of this fleet. I joined because I liked the inclusiveness and community and I met some pretty cool people whom I consider friends. Sadly I ended up leaving when this fleet leader refused to take action on illegal conduct that was taking place. I couldn't allow myself to be remotely associated with it any longer and left for one of the many other LGBT fleets in game.

The message in the blog is good, unfortunately for me it's tarnished by my experiences with the messenger. IMO this is one fleet leader that should not be featured.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    Thank you for the T6 Galaxy Class. - I support Tovan Khev. - Please bring back the exploration missions.
  • xithlegendxithlegend Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello Nicholas.
    I am really glad that you have taken the time to not only pass along information on this outstanding event ,but educate people on how Star Trek has ALWAYS lead the way in breaking stereo-types & taboo's. I am the Fleet Executive Admiral for the Spartan Vanguard, Eleventh Fleet, & we encourage diversity. Like you, we have many different types of people TRIBBLE or TRIBBLE, black or white, Muslim Christian or Jewish, democrat & republican. We love to take time & have extensive conversations not to argue, but to educate. Star Trek has always hit on real life issues that affect the world even today. I forced my wife to watch the entire 7th season of Deep Space 9 with me, & she saw many parallels to the War with the Dominion to the War on terror, PTSD (Which I am diagnosed with as a veteran), Seeking help with these issues, & political gain! You have put in writing what everyone else has always thought, & I am glad somebody did it. I would like to take part in your event. Please add me to your FB my name is Allen Esposito. EVERYONE in star Trek was an outstanding role model whether you agree with how they live or not. They boldly went where no one ever went before. Thank you for carrying on wit that tradition Nicholas.

<S>

Admiral Legend, Spartan Vanguard Eleventh Fleet
    Fleet Executive Admiral
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the fantastic Guestblog!
    I'll try to stop by for pride weekend if I get a chance.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • jacienbluejacienblue Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As a member of Stonewall Fleet I couldn't be prouder of this blog. Thank you Nick for authoring such an eloquent and vital message. This year's Pride will be the best one yet!
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow that was a great piece! Love it.

Just two little things if I may.

"Dr. Flox" should be "Dr. Phlox" and "Ricker" should be "Riker" :P

(Sorry, I can't help myself when it comes to things like that :( )
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • matthian1701matthian1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hooray for people getting to live their lives how they want! :D

Boo for people who try to take that right away! :mad:
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations... How true this is and how much I wish Humanity would embrace this view!

Live Long and Prosper!
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • akrilonakrilon Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Awe, Brian... I think the real tarnish on this message is using it as a springboard to air grievances about fleet politics.

I'm excited to share in the upcoming pride festivities with members of the community at large :) I hope to see many gamers from outside of the Stonewall community join in on some of the fun events that are planned, as a celebration of the diversity on which both Starfleet and the KDF thrive in the STO universe, especially with the recent addition of our Romulan friends!

See you all there!
    faddc0e2956f1903cb9ac9197fb10cd8_large.png
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very happy and proud to see this kind of post on the front page--and developed by the community. Well done, STO and Stonewall Fleet.
  • sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not one for judging but in my opinion, you should keep this type of stuff to yourself ingame. It sparks a whole bunch of needless debates. While I do respect their choices, you will NOT see me at this event.
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robertjenkinsrobertjenkins Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    great post!! i hope to check it out myself
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sjamesh wrote: »
    I'm not one for judging but in my opinion, you should keep your sexual orientation to yourself ingame. It sparks a whole bunch of needless debates. Anyway, you will NOT see me at this event.

Figures it only took two pages for junk like this to show up.

Out of respect for the author of this great article, I will refrain from a repeat of the Legacy Pack Giveaway thread. If Stonewall wishes to come in here and educate you on why you are oh so wrong, then they are free to do so.

IDIC
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • nicholasjohnnicholasjohn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you all for your support! It was a privilege to write a guest blog! Thanks to Brandon for that! I hope to see all of you at the Fourth Annual Pride Weekend! It'll be our biggest and best Pride celebration yet!

BTW, please don't respond to the trolls! It only makes things worse.
  • darthvegetadarthvegeta Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sjamesh wrote: »
    I'm not one for judging but in my opinion, you should keep this type of stuff to yourself ingame. It sparks a whole bunch of needless debates. While I do respect their choices, you will NOT see me at this event.

Agreed. No need to drag things like this into a game that is basically just about blowing stuff up. I'd rather have a videogame forum be devoid of politics, sexual preferences, religion or any other of those things.
  • gavriil1983gavriil1983 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Community Member NicholasJohn16, Fleet Admiral for Stonewall Fleet, has written a Guest Blog that celebrates the diversity found in Star Trek.

Link to the blog.

stonewall fleet. one of the good ones.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very well written, and thanks for the quick Star Trek history lesson. :)
    signwidrona.png
  • chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just a bunch of liberal garbage in my opinion. I don't feel the need to wear a tag to announce my sexual orientation/preference to the rest of the world, and this should be removed from games entirely. Since the game is not rated M, special consideration should be given to the kids that play this game. They don't need to know about "LGBT" stuff so early on.
  • bullocajbullocaj Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very well said, Nick! I encourage those who are interested to join us for Pride. We have some exciting events planned that I think everyone will enjoy.
  • hootenitehootenite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And yet, even with such an open community in STO, when they find out you are a brony, in comes the hate. Can't tell you how many times when myself or one of my fleetmates is known to be a member of our fandom, then come the slurs and derogatory statments by people that think they know us without getting to know us. I understand that this isn't quite the same level of prejudice that true minorities have faced, but just endemic that people fear and retaliate against what they don't understand.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Suddenly I feel all normal like ;)
  • roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    havam wrote: »
    TRIBBLE the tribble, I m still waiting for these to come to the game

He sure does have nice legs. :D