test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

contacting a foundry author?

Hi all, My name's Stefan, and I've recently been playing STO after a brief stint of the mythical 'Real life'. :)

Quite a while ago i played a foundry mission called 'The Computers Daughter' by XR-377 and put simply, i love that mission, it's in depth, detailed, and as far as i'm concerned, it fits really well with the feel of a star trek episode far better than any other fanfic I've ever seen.

And yes i know fanfics and foundry missions aren't the same, but i can write fiction, but i haven't been able to make any foundry missions myself. I wont criticize anyone when i cant do better myself.

The fact is though, i would love to get in contact with XR-377 and talk to him about his foundry mission and chat with him in general about his other ideas.

I've tried searching for him in the social tab in STO and on the STO website but i cant find any reference to him apart from people talking about missions he has created.

Dose anyone here know him or how i can get in touch with him?

Thanks allot in advance.

Live long and Prosper.

Stefan
Post edited by orion2015matrix on

Comments

• Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    He does post here. His forum handle is designationxr377 I think. However, you could try contacting him in game. Just send an in-game mail to his name with an @ sign before it.
  • Options
    fogerty1fogerty1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I dont blame him for not wanting to be contacted. I have a couple of foundry missions I made and one was short and simple for people to get skilled the second a litttle bit of a story. Well Most loved it but then, someone went in and really trashed the rating because they weren't smart enough to understand. So I asked them "why didn't you like it and why did you rate it so low?", and thier reply was "your violent email to me is reasons enough to put you on ignore". I was like huh?

So rather than dealing with certified morons who cannot appreciate all the time that goes into making missions. I just don't bother anymore and can understand maybe why this guy doesn't want to be contacted either.
    Too Bad, So Sad
    PS: Sollvax, no need to add your worthless wooden nickel comments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fogerty1 wrote: »
    I dont blame him for not wanting to be contacted. I have a couple of foundry missions I made and one was short and simple for people to get skilled the second a litttle bit of a story. Well Most loved it but then, someone went in and really trashed the rating because they weren't smart enough to understand. So I asked them "why didn't you like it and why did you rate it so low?", and thier reply was "your violent email to me is reasons enough to put you on ignore". I was like huh?

So rather than dealing with certified morons who cannot appreciate all the time that goes into making missions. I just don't bother anymore and can understand maybe why this guy doesn't want to be contacted either.

Eh some people are just weird, the vast majority of the ppl I message are normal civilized human beings (or Vulcan or etc...)
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have been summoned!

I tend to consider myself approachable, best by in game @ mail to @XR-377, but I do loom the forums from time to time. Feedback in any regard is really important to me, from finding bugs to different aspects of stories people like and questions about new missions. I will admit I am not too terribly keen on random tells unless you literally bump into me in an instance or social map.

Even when feedback turns bad to... well... creepy... I like to get back to folks, even if it is to tell them to back off a bit before I hit the ignore button, I still like to tell people, if only for the hope they learn in the future and know where boundaries are.

I will say though, the recent mail stuff with everything has given me a hiccup, so, if you did try to get to me recently through game mail and I didn't get back to you, the message may have been lost before I got to it. I try to respond back to everything in some way.

Soo... that said. You got me! Whatcha need? I'm happy to talk about most stuff here in the open on the forums but if it gets spoilery I'll prompt us to move to private messages.
  • Options
    orion2015matrixorion2015matrix Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow! Now thats a response time!

nagorak, thanks for the info, i didnt actually know how to send messages to people in STO without having them in my friends list, so this will be a big help.

fogerty1, i understand those reasons myself, however i do appreciate all the time and effort that goes into creating missions like these, it's beyond intense.

zorbane, the same with me. I tend to treat people like friends i havent met yet, as is, treat them like a regular person. Whats the point in being Rude and anti-social in a MMORPG? Kinda defeats the purpose dosent it?

designationxr377, I honestly didnt think it would be that easy to get it contact with you. First off i just want to say I love the computers daughter. Well, not Miss Icai, i mean she's cute but...you know what i mean.

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist the fan-boy stutter.

Your mission is fantastic. I havent gotten around to playing the Klingon version yet, but that's only because i split my time between the two characters when i first started and after the switch over to PW i lost access to my account and they didn't help me. So new account for me, lost absolutly everything.

But i was more curious as to what inspired your Computers Children idea and if you have any other missions in the works, maybe even a sequel of some kind?

If i'm going a bit over the top then i do apologise, it's not my intention. Just tell me to stop being a rabid Packled and i'll shut up. :o

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out and thanks again designationxr377 for saying hello.

Take care.

Stefan
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I hope you get the Klingon mission. I've had a lot of people who've played through one and enjoyed it, or conversely found a lot of flaws, then played the Klingon and went... "OOOOOhhhh.... now I... oh.... okay." The mission is really designed to be two parts, they just happen to take place at the same time. It was an experiment that I kind of bogged down with a Diplomatic Mission. So, yes! I look forward to you enjoying the second part once you reach about lvl 22 with a Klingon.

What inspired me was actually a bridge officer I had made for a federation character. I write little bios and think up stories about my bridge officers, as well as my playable captain. In short, one of them got away from me. I basically made Miss Icai after her years in the academy, and thought on her race and what they were lack after.

Then, I got to thinking about a setting for a mission that was duel perspective from Klingon/Fed that would intermingle and I thought about a first contact scenario with them. From there it fell together.

As for specific inspirations for the Kai as a people, I wont lie that a lot of it came from one of my favorite space operas, "Crest of the Stars."

I do have other missions of all kinds and different tastes. Simply search foundry for XR-377 on either side to find them. As for works in progress, I do have another diplomatic style mission as opposed to combat or mixed along the way; but it won't be out for a while. I do not plan on making missions as long as the Computer's Children ones though, I think those are the biggest I will want to do. It was just a work of love in the end that I felt deserved full attention to "my vision" *Spielberg Hat*.

Sequels... well... not to say to much but there are some specific and small loose threads hidden away in the missions that leave something open in those regards. But, it would be Federation only and I am waiting on any kid of work for some of the Foundry tech to be able to do what I want it to do.

I hope you keep enjoying the game and playing it, as well as foundry missions! I suggest Alimac30's "City of the Polmar Ree" if you liked Computer's Daughter!

Happy Trekking!
  • Options
    orion2015matrixorion2015matrix Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm working on getting my Klingon character to Captain now. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the Klingon side of the mission. I'm also looking forward to seeing Levi again ;) , just hope the Klingon's don't give her too much trouble.

I like writing little Bio's myself, one of these days i have to complete the bios properly, for now all i have is basic information.

And i LOVE crest and banner of the stars, it's absolutly fantastic. The second you mentioned that i could see several of the elements inspired by that series.

I can understand what you mean about the length of the computers daughter, it was very long indeed, but still a gripping story. And i did enjoy seeing the 'thats no moon' joke. :D

If you were ok with it i'd be happy to help you with your future works, even if it's just proof reading. I'd love to help out somehow with the Computers Daughter sequel you mentioned, there's a few missions i want to make in the foundry but i just cant wrap my head around it.

I'll take a look at 'City of the Polmar Ree' later on. But you've set a pretty high behcnmark for quality as fas as i'm concerned. :)

LLAP
  • Options
    rogueeenterpriserogueeenterprise Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've gotten in-game fan mail for my missions before, but XR-377, you get a whole thread on the forums! Grats! :D
  • Options
    sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sequels... well... not to say to much but there are some specific and small loose threads hidden away in the missions that leave something open in those regards. But, it would be Federation only and I am waiting on any kid of work for some of the Foundry tech to be able to do what I want it to do.
    Happy Trekking!

Yay! can't wait for a sequel to come out! BTW, as I played it as a male character, I found it rather interesting that Miss Icai seemed to always want to do something with me (the player). at first glance it appeared almost like a romantic relationship in the making! Just thought I'd throw that in there. Just saying!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I've gotten in-game fan mail for my missions before, but XR-377, you get a whole thread on the forums! Grats! :D

Says the guy with the most played foundry mission in the game. xD Seriously, you could take all my missions' plays, all of Kirkfats, Alimacs, and Nagorak's and combine their plays and they still wouldn't come up to your one mission's. You don't get that kind of hands on recognition for no reason!
  • Options
    talon2000uktalon2000uk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just want to jump in and add that love The Computers Daughter mission too. It's one of the first non featured foundry missions I ever played and I was absolutely blown away by it.
  • Options
    ktip09ktip09 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would like to contact the Author who created the Ask'kaar Race and not only complement that Author for creating that Race but to also ask permission if I could mention and use the Ask'kaar Race in the creation of my foundry Race. I'm a newbie in the foundry and do not want to create anything involving someone else's work, without their permission first! The Author's name just came to me!

P_Southerland...I'm asking for your permission to do this. Please contact me with your reply.

ktip09