test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Trouble with... Andorians?

captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Ten Forward
Now I know where the Andorians have been since The Original Series. Populating so that for every one of any other species there were three of them. Does Star Trek online have a thing for them or something, because there sure are quite a few of them. I like Andorians as much as the next guy but this is what I call over population.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
Post edited by captclazorus on

Comments

• Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2013
    ... this is what I call over population.

What does that say about humans? We're even more populous.

Andorians, at least when I was growing up as the TOS first-rerun generation, were always named in peripheral literature as one of the more populous species. It just wasn't until Enterprise that they got significant screen time, and I suspect that had something to do with the need for more life-like antennae effects before any serious portrayal.

Frankly, I enjoy them. Had I not chosen a human to play, I likely would play an Andorian. I make a point of having one as my Second Officer.

Also, I'd love to see a show-down between a skilled Andorian and a skilled Klingon in some future series. Both are warrior races, so I suspect an Andorian could hold his own, despite the antennae. (this does not consider the series (TNG?, DS9?) comment where a Klingon bragged about killing an Andorian. The whole race is not depicted in one off-screen character)
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If only we get to see a new TV Star Trek series starring the Enterprise F and its illustrious Andorian captain... :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    one of my favorite characters from Enterprise was "Shran" and was the reason why I made a Tac Andorian, the fact that we did not see any if very little of them in TNG or any of the TOS movies was a mistake by Roddenberry, but I was glad to see them have a lot more screen time in Enterprise and was glad to see they were apart of STO as it would not be Trek without them as they are a major part of the Federation.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The impression I always got from the books is that by the late 24th Century Andorians are threatened with extinction within a few generations, due to their complex mating requirements and the influence (and attractiveness) of binary-gendered species.

In that context, yes, there certainly seems to be an awful lot of them running around.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    chrls63chrls63 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    According to TOS cannon, the Andorian's were one of the four founding races of the UFP. Humans, Vulcans and Tellarites were the other three.