test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphics Card

javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Academy
My current graphics card (computer's original equipment) is unsupported in this game. It's probably not exactly perfect for the latest photoshop (recently ordered), either, so it'll be shopping for a new one anyway. What graphics cards are supported by STO, and what graphics card features are recommended for a pleasant STO experience?

J
His methods have become unsound.
Post edited by javaman1969 on

Comments

• gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The minimum requirements are listed here:
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=560461

It really depends on what resolution your monitor has; the more pixels the beefier your GPU needs to be. Right now I have a modest 1680x1050 and it runs just fine on an Nvidia GTX 560Ti. If I were buying a new GPU today, I'd probably go with the current generation of what I have now: a 660 Ti.

My go-to source for reviews: http://www.maximumpc.com/best-of-the-best
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pretty much any modern discrete graphics card you can buy new now should suffice.

Here's my go to source for graphic card purchasing: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
  • byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    depends on your budget

tomshardware guide is prety good, if anything i'd lean towards an nvidia card rather than an AMD card I think for compatible hardware the nvidia drivers and software is a bit better.

GTX670's are great cards but still kinda costly even after recent price drops. anything above this really is not worth the extra cost.

HD7850 is a good card, gets you 256bit DDR5 for less $ another good thing about this card is that it only requires one extra power cable. means it's good on power and easy to crossfire later if you want to.

I own both of these. yeah sad I know I have 3 PC's, a laptop and I even have a new HD7870 sitting around doing nothing.

GTX650TI seems like a good budget card

the reality is STO generally is not that demanding.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    byzanathos wrote: »

GTX650TI seems like a good budget card

the reality is STO generally is not that demanding.

This. I haven't upgraded in several years - I'm running a GeForce 9600GT (arguably the most future-resistant card ever made IMO). STO runs perfectly with almost everything maxed at 1600x900 and quite well with the sliders at 75%ish at 1080 on my TV.

Even the lowest end discrete nVidia cars made now outpace the 9600, so I wouldn't be too worried about having to break the bank, STO just doesn't need all that much power.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jornado wrote: »
    This. I haven't upgraded in several years - I'm running a GeForce 9600GT (arguably the most future-resistant card ever made IMO). STO runs perfectly with almost everything maxed at 1600x900 and quite well with the sliders at 75%ish at 1080 on my TV.

Even the lowest end discrete nVidia cars made now outpace the 9600, so I wouldn't be too worried about having to break the bank, STO just doesn't need all that much power.

Cheers!

Good to know! After finally upgrading my system because ye olde Win.Vista was starting to act kinda buggy lately, I'm now on a slight budget.
    His methods have become unsound.