test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: These are the voyages... (a role-play thread. All welcome!)

ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Captain's Table (RP)
Okay, so this is an idea I recently had; about a year-and-a-half ago there was a thread dealing with the possibility of peace between the Federation and Klingon Empire. The thread became a role-play where numerous players (myself included) would take part in an ever-changing story. That thread later continued in a new thread under a new name when the OP decided to return to a non-RP format. That thread has now progressed over a century from where the game is currently set. Here's the link to that thread if you want to join in on it: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=274108

(I recommend just asking to be bought up to speed instead of reading through all 750+ pages of it. The guys on the thread will gladly help you out.)

However, I somewhat miss the massive, constantly changing atmosphere of the old thread, where 100s of things could be happening at once. It felt like I was really part of an ever-evolving universe (and it was fun dodging Romulans while fighting the Tzenkethi :cool:).

So, what I'm proposing is a thread where anyone can join in and tell the story of their character in an environment where everyone is contributing to an ever-expanding universe, where our characters can be doing one thing in one place and have it effect someone else in another.

What you do is completely up to you; you don't have to use one of your in-game characters and you don't have to limit yourself to the in-game factions. Don't even feel that you have to remain strictly canon. You can use non-canon sources for inspiration if you wish, so long as it does not contradict the established history outlined in the game, and you recognise that not everyone will have read the source material you're using. For example, say I use Starbase: Vanguard as a base, I'd have to state that I took inspiration from the Vanguard novels and give a brief summary of the Station's background.

Again, don't feel confined to using canon sources. As Leonard Nimoy once said "the possibilities are endless".

For sake of universal continuity and lack of headaches, we'll say that the thread's timeline starts divergence from STO on 10th June, 2412, when this thread was started (keep in mind, STO was in 2409 when it launched in 2010, so it is only 399 years ahead, as opposed to the originally intended 400). That is, roughly, Stardate 89440, according to: http://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm

For sake of easy communication, here's how formatting should work:

'OOC:' = 'Out of character' (when the poster is speaking separate of the story in the post).

Actions or events should be contained by asterisks (*). E.g. *Captain Picard took the cup of Earl Grey from the replicator.*

When writing out of character during dialogue, please make it distinguishable from the actual dialogue via brackets () or asterisks **.

This is purely to help everyone follow each other's posts.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *The U.S.S. Black Phantom, Defiant class warship, flies up*

Admiral Voporak: Cloak us.

*The ship cloaks*

That's better. *ahem* Time, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the warship Black Phantom. Its never-ending mission: to explore strange new timelines, to seek out new technologies and new weapons, to defiantly go where no captain has gone before.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OOC: Note that, since this line is followed by an action, I don't need to separate it from dialogue, as the action already does so.

*U.S.S. Bunker Hill, Aventine-Class Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Vessel. Eta Eridani Sector Block.

Vice Admiral Soval is seated in his Ready Room, a steaming cup of replicated Vulcan Spice Tea on his desk as he looks, almost emotionless, though curiously, at the man sitting across from him, who is wearing a white jacket with a teal shirt beneath it, similar to many Federation Scientists.*

Soval: I am afraid I do not understand your question, Dr Lassiter.

Dr Lassiter: Quite simple Admiral; "Do you know how much time is left?"

Soval: Yes, but you have neglected to inform me of what "time" you are referring to.

Dr Lassiter: Anything. Everything! They say time is the fire in which we burn! As a Vulcan, and a Scientist, surely you can understand that!

Soval: They also say that time is a companion, which goes with us on the journey and reminds us to treasure every moment, for they'll never come again.

As a Vulcan, I understand the impulse to find a logical analogy for a force as mysterious and unknown as time, but, I also understand the illogic of making such an attempt.

But, Doctor, surely you did not come aboard simply to discuss philosophy?

Dr Lassiter: Why not? Where time is involved, philosophy and science are one and the same.

Soval: Doctor, I have already told you that the Federation Council has withdrawn your permission to conduct temporal research separate of your posting at the Manhiem Research Centre at Earth. I fail to see your logic in continuing to pursue this matter.

If time is the fire in which we burn, why stand still in the inferno as you are attempting to now?

Dr Lassiter: If time is a companion, reminding us to cherish every moment, then why do you threaten your own standing by alienating your own people?

*Soval raises an eyebrow in surprise.*

Why else do you always need to be accompanied by a Security Officer when you travel to Vulcan now? I read your book; "Emotion and Logic: Fire and Ice". It was truly an intriguing read. A study on the symbiosis between logic and emotion, comparing it to dark and light. Also your suggestions on the potential benefits of allowing logic and emotion to co-exist in harmony... Most Vulcans would call you mad.

Soval: Most Vulcans have already made a case of doing so, Doctor. My proposals were not exactly received... favourably, by my people.

Dr Lassiter: Even so, it makes me wonder what it would be like if humans adopted logic and rid themselves of emotion, as your people have.

Soval: Doctor, I suspect that if humanity adopted logic, we would not be sitting here having this conversation; you would have yielded to the simple truths of your situation with your "hourglass project" and left me in piece to file my reports with Starfleet Command.

*Lassiter smiles.*

Dr Lassiter: I see your point.

*Lassiter stands.*

Admiral.

*He then walks out onto the Bridge just as Commander T'las, the ship's half-Vulcan half-Human First Officer, steps into the threshold.*

T'las: Admiral.

Soval: Come in, Commander.

*She takes a seat across from him.*

T'las: The Doctor still wants to return to his lab?

Soval: Indeed. How humans can remain so stubborn when the futility of their situation is obvious, I do not understand. And the more obvious the futility, the more stubborn they become.

T'las: Perhaps that is one emotion you should have taken into account when you wrote that novel.

*Soval raises an eyebrow at T'las, though letting a slight hint of amusement creep onto his face.*

Soval: A joke, T'las?

*T'las smiles back at him.*

T'las: An observation, Soval.

Soval: Indeed?

It sounded like humour. Human humour, in fact.

Well, Commander, did you have something to report?

*T'las produces a PADD and hands it to Soval.*

T'las: Tomorrow's Duty Roster for your review, Admiral. We also have Captain Allington aboard the Victorious asking for a status report on Starbase 41, and the rest of the 41st Fleet.

Soval: Very well.

*He glances over the roster before placing his thumbprint authorisation and handing it back to T'las.*

Inform the Captain that he shall receive a full report tomorrow at 09:00 Earth Standard.

T'las: Aye, sir.

Soval: Anything else?

*T'las stands, shaking her head.*

Dismissed.

*OOC: I've used my in-game characters here as they're the ones I am most familiar with, but if you wish to create new ones altogether, feel free. The only limit to how many characters you can run is how many you can keep up with!*
    edited June 2013
    OOC: Quick Q- this is a totally different universe/timeline/place from the other rp thread, right?
    edited June 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    OOC: Quick Q- this is a totally different universe/timeline/place from the other rp thread, right?

Correct. The only similarity is this also follows the STO timeline. Aside from that, clean slate.

BTW, you jumped on this thread pretty quick, Voporak. I hadn't even posted the link to this on the other thread yet!
    edited June 2013
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Correct. The only similarity is this also follows the STO timeline. Aside from that, clean slate.

BTW, you jumped on this thread pretty quick, Voporak. I hadn't even posted the link to this on the other thread yet!

I wanted to put in some cool intro for Voporak as the first reply. :D
  • logang19logang19 Member Posts: 13,843 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wanted to put in some cool intro for Voporak as the first reply. :D

OOC: the man out of place with time lol. Ryan give me a little time to get a character and taht all set up and i will be happy to post here as well hm something science i think oh the possibilities.
    " Now the gate has been unlatched headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room ,a fate you must abide."
    edited June 2013
    OOC: I think it's time I explored the interior of my ship, since that's where generally everything takes place with Voporak. So, sit back and enjoy the tour.

*After having been through a strange, confusing twist of times and places, Voporak has once again shut himself up in his ship. Starfleet has forgiven him for several things he has done in the past, and Voporak remains the odd Admiral. The U.S.S. Black Phantom, a Sao Paulo class tactical warship, is in drydock above Earth. Voporak is overseeing that the resupply goes only as he wants it to.*

*In all, the ship has five decks and the bridge (going from bridge on top to deck 5 on the bottom), with the quarters, sick bay, lounge, mess hall, and holodeck being in the front area. The shuttlebay is a small, two-leveled area in decks 4 and 5. The back of the ship is for Engineering, the space behind the deflector the extremely limited science labs, and most of the rest of the ship is used up by weapons systems and labs. The absolute rear is the weapons bay, on deck 3 and 4. A containment door can be opened to drop mines off the ship. In addition to it all, there are some rooms and compartments that Voporak mostly keeps secret as well as a few cargo bays.*

*The bridge. It is unlike anything else seen before, custom designed by Voporak to fit his needs. The ceiling is rather short, like any other Defiant class. At the front is a rectangle viewscreen, which is winder than it is tall. As a whole, the bridge is loosely divided into two sections. Separating them is the captain's chair, with two chairs on either side. The main tactical console is directly behind, and together they resemble that of a Galaxy class ship's bridge. Along the sides of the front section are science and engineering/operations consoles and seats (the tactical console is only in that one spot behind the captain's chair). The rear section consists of communications and assorted multi-use consoles. Both sections come together to form a large oval. To the left of the center area (tactical station/command chairs) is a turbolift. There is also a second turbolift in the very back of the bridge, and off to the right of the center area is Voporak's ready room.*

*Voporak's ready room consists of a window, a desk off to the side, two couches, and a replicator, which is directly behind the desk (for Voporak's convenience). The desk is the most complex of all the things in the room. There are two miniature viewscreens, and the desk itself can display anything from the ship's computer - be it a book, a display of ship operations, or a game of cards.*

*The front half of the ship is quite basic, being like most other starships. Crew quarters, a mess hall, a lounge, and an observation lounge. Sickbay is probably the smallest ever known, being only one small room. The science lab is also extremely limited, as this is a warship.*

*The weapons labs are much more expansive and have many testing stations for new devices and tactical technologies. (not much to say about this place... it's where new weapons get developed)*

*Engineering, it is large but not all in one room. Main engineering is average sized, and centered around one thing: the temporal core. What began as a salvaged Borg temporal node was upgraded time and time again into a device wholly integrated with the warp core that can open rifts to other timelines and time periods. Main engineering has a subtle green glow to it thanks to the temporal core giving off a sickly, pale light. There are work stations and consoles all around that monitor and regulate the core. The other rooms that surround Main engineering contain general operations controls and controls for systems such as the deflector and weapons.*

*The weapons bay is essentially a two-deck room that can open to space. Torpedoes, tricobalt devices, and other deployable weapon devices are stored here, and on more than one occasion have been dropped off the back of the ship. There are control consoles lining the walls and a crane-like mechanism that can move weapons around as needed.*

*Finally, the shuttlebay. Positioned on the bottom of the ship, it comes complete with a whole two Danube-class runabouts and Voporak's personal Delta Flyer class shuttle. The room is circular, with two levels, all centered around an area of the floor which can lower down to allow shuttles to leave the ship.*

*The Black Phantom's hull is made of tritanium, plated in neutronium alloy. Three shield arrays protect the ship, one of which is a temporal shield. The temporal shield protects from temporal jumps, fluxes, and anomalies. Up front are four cannons lined along the nacelles, a dual beam bank, a torpedo tube in the deflector dish, and two torpedo tubes in the back with a turret on top of the ship. The ship usually uses antiproton energy for its weapons, but does have a second, much deadlier, experimental, and dangerous weapon. Developed in the weapon labs and upgraded with other technologies, the ship can fire Omega particle weaponry. The Black Phantom has a powerful cloaking device and can reach a top warp speed of 9.9994 - still remaining undetectable.*
    edited June 2013
    U.S.S. Babylon
    Intrepid refit class science vessel.
    Commanded by Captain Ranle
    Current location ESD

Timothy Ranle walked out of his quarters on ESD. Walking towards the club to get his early mornin drink and breakfast. When over the comm

Comm: Captain Ranle please report to the admirals office.

He lets out a sigh as he knows breakfast will no elude him. He thinks to himself this had better be good. After there last mission the ship just had to be destroyed. He never said why and neither had his crew. But that meant it had taken even longer for him to get a ship. He streightens his uniform as he walks into the admirals office.

Timothy: sir

Quinn( He would still be here right lol i got way to many post going through my head its hard to keep streight) Captain i have a vessel and a mission for.

TImothy: shocked Sir!

Quinn: a intrepid refit the U.S.S. Babylon and your mission will be sent to you once you get aboard and get used to her.

Timothy salutes: yes sir

He walks out of the admirals office with a bit of joy in his step as he walks to the club. Maybe today wont go to bad after all.
    " Now the gate has been unlatched headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room ,a fate you must abide."
    edited June 2013
    *ESD*

Transporter officer 1: Now now, looks who's transporting?

Transporter officer 2: That's the strange Admiral, isn't it?

Transporter officer 1: Yeah, it is. I've heard some tall tales about him. There was some incident with him a few years ago.

Transporter officer 2: Energizing.

*The matter stream forms and Voporak materializes on the pad*

Transporter officer 1: Morning, Admiral.

*Voporak glances at them, before walking out of the transporter room without a word*

Transporter officer 2: Quirky fellow, isn't he?

*Voporak has no particular objective in mind, walking to the club. He goes to the bar*

Voporak: Romulan ale.

*He takes the glass and sits in a dark corner, at a table by himself, appearing to others as if he needs someone to brighten up his day.*
    edited June 2013
    *ESD*

Transporter officer 1: Now now, looks who's transporting?

Transporter officer 2: That's the strange Admiral, isn't it?

Transporter officer 1: Yeah, it is. I've heard some tall tales about him. There was some incident with him a few years ago.

Transporter officer 2: Energizing.

*The matter stream forms and Voporak materializes on the pad*

Transporter officer 1: Morning, Admiral.

*Voporak glances at them, before walking out of the transporter room without a word*

Transporter officer 2: Quirky fellow, isn't he?

*Voporak has no particular objective in mind, walking to the club. He goes to the bar*

Voporak: Romulan ale.

*He takes the glass and sits in a dark corner, at a table by himself, appearing to others as if he needs someone to brighten up his day.*

OOC: oh i got to do this lol :)

Timothy is at the club just finishing up his breakfast as he is drinking his saurian brandy. He notices the admiral sit down and he walks over to him.

Timothy: well now you look like you have been in the dumps on qonos and back sir. Want to talk about it over a drink i still have tons of time before my ship is ready
    edited June 2013
    logang19 wrote: »
    OOC: oh i got to do this lol :)

Timothy is at the club just finishing up his breakfast as he is drinking his saurian brandy. He notices the admiral sit down and he walks over to him.

Timothy: well now you look like you have been in the dumps on qonos and back sir. Want to talk about it over a drink i still have tons of time before my ship is ready

*Voporak swishes his glass and looks up*

Voporak: Ok, I'll talk. You're a Captain then, aren't you? Taking a new starship out? Mind if I ask where?

OOC: Going to bed now.
    edited June 2013
    *Voporak swishes his glass and looks up*

Voporak: Ok, I'll talk. You're a Captain then, aren't you? Taking a new starship out? Mind if I ask where?

OOC: Going to bed now.

Timothy sips his drink

Timothy: right now i have no idea if my suspicions are correct it will be out in the beta usra sector or the romulan border.
    edited June 2013
    Timothy sips his drink

Timothy: right now i have no idea if my suspicions are correct it will be out in the beta usra sector or the romulan border.

Voporak: Doing endless patrol missions on some outpost, no doubt. I've seen it happen to so many new ships with eager captains. Myself, I cannot remember the last time Starfleet gave me a mission. I just go wherever I want. No, no, I'm not one of the Admirals that sits behind a desk all day like poor Quinn over there.
    edited June 2013
    *Earth Orbit, U.S.S. Bunker Hill, parked outside the Manheim Temporal Research Laboratory.

Soval is in the Bunker Hill's massive Hangar below the Runabout Pad as the U.S.S. Yellowstone is lifted down into the bay. He stands and watches as cadets from the Academy are led off the Shuttle and directed to Ores, the ship's Ferengi Operations Officer, who starts to welcome them aboard. He then sees a man wearing a Starfleet Jupiter-5 Service Jacket step off the shuttle, wearing Captain's pips. The man walks over to him before giving Soval a Vulcan salute.*

Ryan: Live Long, and Prosper, Admiral Soval.

*Soval returns the salute.*

Soval: Peace, and long life, Captain.

*The two walk together out of the bay, with Ryan examining every crevice of the ship.*

Your first time aboard an Aventine-Class, Captain?

Ryan: First time aboard any of the Vesta-Classes. On the Victorious, I'm used to big Shuttlebays, but the technology here is just...

Soval: The Bunker Hill is a test-bed for several new combat systems, as well as a conglomeration of older systems such as the Anti-Matter Spread Module. Starfleet wants to know what happens when all this equipment is put in the same place.

The interface technology is - how do humans say it? - bleeding edge... even by the Aventine's standards. Admiral Maddox himself designed the holo-interfaces. This is their first field test.

Ryan: I never thought I'd see you allowing Cadets on a warship.

Soval: You allow families on the Victorious.

Ryan: Only when we're away from the Front. These cadets could be called upon to make themselves part of the crew at any moment should Task Force Omega need you out there.

Soval: Admiral Quinn made a logical argument, that I could not oppose.

Ryan: What was that?

Soval: "If the cadets don't learn to handle the most hi-tech equipment now, they'll be at a disadvantage against the Tholians".

Ryan: Great...

So, war with them is likely?

Soval: If the war with the Klingons ends soon, then yes. The Tholians are making their presence known on Nukara Prime and in the Azure Nebula. They are proving to increase in aggressiveness.

I was intrigued to learn that the Victorious was at Earth Spacedock. I was under the impression you were going to be charting the Rolor Nebula for another Month.

Ryan: New orders. We're heading out to Pi Canus later this week. Some True Way Legate decided to sneak around and start a brush-fire. Command wants it put out, and wants to know how the True Way got that far out of Cardassian Territory.
    edited June 2013
    Voporak: Captain, you wouldn't mind if I were to just tag along with you?
    edited June 2013
    Voporak: Captain, you wouldn't mind if I were to just tag along with you?

Timothy: of course not admiral i could use the company.
    edited June 2013
    Timothy: of course not admiral i could use the company.

Voporak: As could I. I don't believe I have introduced myself. My name is Admiral Voporak, *slyly smiles* pleased to meet you, Captain.
    edited June 2013
    Voporak: As could I. I don't believe I have introduced myself. My name is Admiral Voporak, *slyly smiles* pleased to meet you, Captain.

Timothy: a pleasure admiral captain timothy i prefer to just use my first name try to be relaxed.
    edited June 2013
    Timothy: a pleasure admiral captain timothy i prefer to just use my first name try to be relaxed.

Voporak: I just go by Voporak. Always. So, Timothy, when's your new starship going to be ready? Not like I have anywhere to go, but It's just that I'll be happier when my ship isn't stuck in a drydock.
    edited June 2013
    Voporak: I just go by Voporak. Always. So, Timothy, when's your new starship going to be ready? Not like I have anywhere to go, but It's just that I'll be happier when my ship isn't stuck in a drydock.

Timothy:If command is right it should be in the next few hours. Thats what im hoping anyways
    edited June 2013
    Timothy:If command is right it should be in the next few hours. Thats what im hoping anyways

Voporak: My operations officer informed me that our ship should be fully resupplied before the afternoon.

*An officer walks up and hands Voporak a PADD, then walks away. Voporak sets it on the table*

Voporak (as he types on the PADD without looking at it): In the meantime, I am going to take my private shuttle to the shipyards and see how it is going. Care to join me?

*The PADD screen changes from 'Mandatory Starfleet Physical' to 'Order has been overridden'*
    edited June 2013
    Voporak: My operations officer informed me that our ship should be fully resupplied before the afternoon.

*An officer walks up and hands Voporak a PADD, then walks away. Voporak sets it on the table*

Voporak (as he types on the PADD without looking at it): In the meantime, I am going to take my private shuttle to the shipyards and see how it is going. Care to join me?

*The PADD screen changes from 'Mandatory Starfleet Physical' to 'Order has been overridden'*

Timothy: i would love to but i should go and start looking over my ship and meeting the crew. I was told the ship was a itrepid refit but one can always hope for one of the newer vesta class or even a sol class science ship.
    edited June 2013
    Timothy: i would love to but i should go and start looking over my ship and meeting the crew. I was told the ship was a itrepid refit but one can always hope for one of the newer vesta class or even a sol class science ship.

Voporak: My ship was built rather recently, just a few years ago, as a Defiant class. It's since been refitted as a Sao Paulo class, and I've added my own little touches to it. Between you and me, I'd say it's the best Federation warship out there.

OOC: Going to bed.
    edited June 2013
    *U.S.S. Bunker Hill, Soval's Quarters. Soval and Ryan are talking.*

Ryan: All I'm saying is that maybe you should give your people time - let that book of yours sink in. Recalling it and hiding away in shame isn't going to solve anything.

The Vulcan High Command isn't going to accept you back after this anyway, not for a while. Let that book do all the good it can.

Soval: You are illogically making the assumption that only good will come out of this.

Ryan: I'm human. What do you expect?

What I do know is that running away from your problems isn't logical.

Soval: When a mouse is confronted by a lion, is it not logical for the mouse to flee?

Ryan: When a mouse is confronted by an elephant, is it logical for the elephant to flee?

Soval: You are comparing me to an elephant?

If I were human, I believe I would be insulted.

*Ryan smiles before standing up.*

Ryan: Think about it. I need to get back to the Victorious. We'll talk again next time I get off subspace silence.

*Ryan leaves, leaving Soval alone in the room. He soon hears the door chime.*

Soval: Enter.

*The door opens as T'las walks in.*

Commander?

T'las: Sir, we just got a message from Starfleet Headquarters. They want you to send someone to watch Admiral Voporak.

Soval: The Admiral is on-starbase. Very well. Have the Yellowstone prepared for launch.

T'las: Aye, sir.

Soval: Was there something else, Commander?

*T'las walks in a little further, and the doors close behind her.*

T'las: It isn't important.

Soval: Indeed?

T'las: It's a personal matter, sir.

Soval: Regarding the Vulcan High Command's decision?

T'las: I was raised on Earth by my Vulcan Mother and Human Father. My Mother said that it was my choice which culture I chose to embrace, but... told me that sooner or later my Vulcan side would start to emerge... violently.

Soval: Your emotions.

T'las: I dealt with that quickly. I suppressed them until they were controllable by the time I was 12.

Soval: I see. Then you mean the Pon Farr?

*T'las begins to circle the room.*

T'las: I had never felt such an uncontrollable burst of emotion.

Soval: It is the same for all Vulcans. It is not something to be ashamed of. If Captain Allington were here, I believe he would say "it happens to the birds and the bees."

...But... the birds and the bees are not Vulcan. Nor are they half-Vulcan.

Nor do their... conditions... reveal themselves at the onset of puberty.

You lost control of your emotions. Which came first?

T'las: I'd rather not discuss it. It's not something I like to think about.

Soval: T'las, despite your human bloodline, you're still as strong as the average Vulcan, and I myself know how dangerous that is during the Pon Farr. You hurt someone, correct?

T'las: Didn't I just say I didn't want to discuss it?

Soval: I've found that in humans, what they want and what they need are two radically different things. If you need to discuss it, you can. You know I will treat it in the strictest confidence.

T'las: You always do.

Admiral, concerning 2 years ago--

Soval: I consider the matter closed.

T'las: You could have taken me to Vulcan and let the High Command decide how to proceed.

Soval: And it would have risked your death. Logically, it was the only decision.

T'las: Logic doesn't usually enter into it with humans. You knew what you were doing, right?

Soval: Commander, I consider the matter closed as long as you wish it to be. Most Vulcans prefer not to discuss it.

T'las: I'm half-Human.

Soval: And your capacity for logic while balancing your diminished emotions has been a source of fascination and inspiration from me.

T'las: For someone who seems to want to let his emotions reveal themselves, you sure have trouble being direct with it... which is odd for a Vulcan.

Soval: T'las, what happened 2 years ago was not within your control. You have nothing to be ashamed of. I, however, was your superior officer. While the decision was logical and a fulfilment of my duties as your Commanding Officer, it was... morally questionable.

T'las: From a human perspective, perhaps. I owe you my life.

Soval: How did you get through the Pon Farr the first time?

T'las: I... would prefer not to say.

Soval: Fascinating. Your hesitance to answer the question would seem to denote shame, but your tone would suggest that you feel the answer is a foolish one. Would this be embarrassment, Commander?

T'las: Sir, are mocking me?

Soval: Merely stating a question of intrigue.

T'las: Of course. Mocking would be an emotional, and completely human response.

Soval: Precisely.

T'las: It still sounds like mocking.

Soval: How is it possible that one with ears so... Vulcan, can make such simple auditory errors?

T'las: Assuming it was an error.

Soval: Was there anything else, Commander?

*T'las smirks, noticing his pathetically obvious attempt to end the conversation.*

T'las: No sir.

Soval: Very well.

*T'las begins to leave, turning back at the door.*

T'las: For the record, that attempt to end the conversation was obvious and pathetic, and, by the way, completely illogical.

*She leaves and Soval looks down at a PADD on his desk. He picks it up and begins going through the Duty Roster for the next week, attempting to completely dismiss the previous conversation from his mind.*

Soval *to himself*: "Attempt to end the conversation"? Illogical.

True, but... illogical.
    edited June 2013
    *ESD*

Flight Director: I'm sorry Admiral, but at the moment we do not have any shuttles to spare for you.

Voporak: Can you check?

Flight Director: I already did.

Voporak: Oh... I see.

*Voporak puts his hands in his pockets and walks away*

I guess I'm stuck on this place for the next few hours. Perhaps- *he pauses and thinks* no, no one to pay a visit to here. I ran out of friends.

*He heads back to the club*
  • wlafrancewlafrance Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    (OOC: Hello! Longtime STO player, but new to RPing! Decided to try it out focusing on a regular member of the crew rather than a captain. Let's see how it goes! Also, I'm open to tips and constructive criticism. Like I said, I'm new at this.)

[U.S.S. Vancouver, Federation Borders]

Ensign Leko Wil was never fond of wake-up alarms, but being woken up by one at 2200hrs felt as unpleasant as being revived by a cortical stimulator. Though time of day may not mean much aboard a ship travelling multiple times the speed of light, the common need for sleep has made it necessary for ships to function with artificial day and night cycles since the beginning of space exploration, thus making night shifts just as dreadful as ever. Wil acknowledged the alarm and the computer responded with a stern beep followed by silence.

Now then, time for breakfast.

Ens. Wil doubled as a tactical officer and security personnel aboard the U.S.S. Vancouver, a Trident class Deep Space Science Vessel on its return trip from a mission to analyze the properties of the Great Barrier surrounding the Galactic Centre, and now, three years since the start of its assignment, the Vancouver had just crossed the border into the far reaches of Federation space. Although it may not have been a tactical officer's dream assignment, the mission was not completely uneventful. After all, between the Sol system and the Galactic Centre lies Klingon and Gorn space. There were even a few fights to break up in the lounge. However, upon reentering Federation space, the tactical to-do list shortened drastically to a measly number of maintenance drills and routine diagnostics. The hours seemed to pass even more sluggishly with four fifths of the crew sound asleep.

The turbo doors opened and Wil stepped onto the bridge. The Big Chair was occupied by Chief of Operations Lt. Shrod, who gave him a quick welcome. Wil dismissed the swing shift officer manning the tactical station and took his post.

Wil: And so the fun begins.

Shrod: Yup. Though you never know, there could be an armada of Klingons just outside of sensor range.
    Wil: As much as I enjoy a little excitement, I think I'd prefer a quiet night over instant destruction by a Klingon armada.

Shrod: Perhaps you're right. Today may not be such a good day to die.

Stanton: Wise words, sir.

Ensign Stanton only recently started receiving bridge duty shifts. As a junior officer, he's considered himself to be quite lucky for the opportunity, considering the sheer amount of other science officers aboard the ship. Though he's been keeping mostly to himself over the past week, he's started to open up little by little.

The following few hours went by relatively quietly, with the odd info requests and the getting-to-know sessions between Shrod and Stanton. Wil kept cycling through his monitoring systems. It was the type of work that required just enough concentration to prevent his mind from wandering, but not enough to be mentally stimulating. He wondered if this is how Admiral Quinn must feel.

I don't think i've ever seen him leave that desk.

The floor of the bridge then began to vibrate quite violently, accompanied by the fading of the hum of the warp engines.

Conn: Sir, we've dropped out of warp. We're completely adrift!

Wil's first reaction was to check the long range scanners for signs of an attacker, but his console was black.

This can't be right...

Wil: Sir, I've lost everything. Shields, weapons, long-range scanners... They're all gone.

Shrod: Well what do we have?

Ops: I still have internal sensors, sir! Power loss all throughout the ship. It seems to be getting worse around a specific epicentre. Artificial gravity is down in deck 6 sector 7, and the lights aren't even on in the science lab in that area.

Stanton: Sir! That lab contains particle samples collected from the Great Barrier.

Shrod: Well, I guess we found our culprit. Get teams together to bring power back online ASAP. I want any and all available science officers with a working tricorder on deck six figuring out how these particles are causing this power loss, how to stop it, and more importantly, how to keep it away from life support!

The turboloft doors swooshed open and Captain Thryiss briskly entered the bridge, still fixing her collar.

Thryiss: Report!

Even after three years aboard the ship, Wil still can't seem to get used to being in the same room as the captain, let alone her bridge. He can't help but feel like she's recording everything he does, more specifically, every little mistake.

Thryiss: Can anyone give me anything?

That's my cue!

Wil: Captain, emergency power is still settling in, but in the meantime I can give you limited subspace communication.

Thryiss: I'll take it! Send out a distress signal and tell Earth Space Dock we'll be behind schedule. While you're at it, ask them if they can spare a ship to provide some assistance.

Wil: Aye, captain! Sending message to Earth Space Dock now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "There are three things to remember about being a starship captain:
    keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never abandon a member of your crew."

- Kathryn Janeway
    edited June 2013
    OOC: That was great! Just one thing, you'll want to separate action by two *s.

*ESD*

Quinn: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm sending you on an assignment. (OOC: Quinn is a Fleet Admiral so yes, he can give Voporak orders.)

Voporak: As long as it gets me off of spacedock, I'm fine with it.

Quinn: The U.S.S. Vancouver has sent a distress call asking for assistance. Seeing as how you're so eager to go somewhere, I want you to help them.

Voporak: Wouldn't you want to send something other than a warship for that?

Quinn: If there's a bigger problem, you can call for more help.

Voporak: Understood. When will I be leaving?

Quinn: As soon as your ship is ready.

Voporak: Wonderful.

*Voporak exits the room*

Quinn: I hope that wasn't a terrible idea.

*Voporak beams up to the U.S.S. Black Phantom and marches onto the bridge*

Voporak: Are we fully resupplied?

May (Chief operations officer): Yes,

Voporak: Good. We're going to go save the Vancouver. Set a course to its distress signal, warp 9. Move us out of the drydock at one-quarter impulse. Thrusters are too slow.

*The Black Phantom slides out of the dock and moves away from Earth orbit*

Ludicrous speed!

Mirra (1st officer): Sir?

Voporak: I'm sorry, I just wanted to say that. Take us to warp.

*The ship warps out*

Send a message to the Vancouver. Ask them what the problem is and if we need to take any precautions.

Mirra: Sending them a message now.
    edited June 2013
    OOC: That was great! Just one thing, you'll want to separate action by two *s.

*ESD*

Quinn: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm sending you on an assignment. (OOC: Quinn is a Fleet Admiral so yes, he can give Voporak orders.)

Voporak: As long as it gets me off of spacedock, I'm fine with it.

Quinn: The U.S.S. Vancouver has sent a distress call asking for assistance. Seeing as how you're so eager to go somewhere, I want you to help them.

Voporak: Wouldn't you want to send something other than a warship for that?

Quinn: If there's a bigger problem, you can call for more help.

Voporak: Understood. When will I be leaving?

Quinn: As soon as your ship is ready.

Voporak: Wonderful.

*Voporak exits the room*

Quinn: I hope that wasn't a terrible idea.

*Voporak beams up to the U.S.S. Black Phantom and marches onto the bridge*

Voporak: Are we fully resupplied?

May (Chief operations officer): Yes,

Voporak: Good. We're going to go save the Vancouver. Set a course to its distress signal, warp 9. Move us out of the drydock at one-quarter impulse. Thrusters are too slow.

*The Black Phantom slides out of the dock and moves away from Earth orbit*

Ludicrous speed!

Mirra (1st officer): Sir?

Voporak: I'm sorry, I just wanted to say that. Take us to warp.

*The ship warps out*

Send a message to the Vancouver. Ask them what the problem is and if we need to take any precautions.

Mirra: Sending them a message now.

*U.S.S. Bunker Hill, Earth Orbit. Soval is sitting on the Bridge looking over a briefing on the known situation with the Vancouver.*

Soval: Lieutenant Ores, if we leave immediately at Slipstream speed, when will we arrive at the Vancouver's position in relation to the Black Phantom?

*Lt. Ores (a Ferengi) turns from his position at Ops.*

Ores: We would arrive 2 hours ahead of the Black Phantom, but they would detect us.

Soval: Prepare to break orbit in 2 hours, 30 minutes.

*He turns to T'las next to him.*

Commander, instruct the crewmen leading the cadet teams to inform the cadets that they are provisional crewmen from 2 hours from now. If any of them wish to return to the Academy, the Yellowstone will be ready to leave in precisely 2 hours, 10 minutes.

T'las: Aye sir.

Soval: Send a transmission to the Vancouver requesting a detailed mission profile and information on anything we should be prepared for when we arrive.

Contact the U.S.S. Armitage Battle Group and request a frontline status report for the Vancouver's area.

Ores: Aye sir!
  • wlafrancewlafrance Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

*Ensign Wil is at the tactical station and has been put in charge of communications. Captain Thryiss is in her chair, conferring with her first officer, Commander Audler. Over the years, Wil has learned to be weary of Audler and his strict way of handling the crew, which seems to amplify when the Captain's around. A notification beeps and text scrolls onto the screen.*

Wil: Captain, Earth Space Dock has received our distress signal! They've sent the U.S.S. Black Phantom... and the U.S.S. Bunker Hill.

Audler: Seems a bit excessive, don't you think?

Thryiss: I'm not complaining at this point, Commander. I take it they'd like a status report, Ensign Wil?

Wil: Yes, Captain.

Thryiss: Good. Me too. *She taps her combadge* Engineering, this is the Bridge. What's new in our situation?

Engineering: Nothing good, Captain. The power failures seem to be getting worse. Deck 6 section 7 is completely in the dark and half of the deck is without artificial gravity. Not even atmospheric controls are online in the science lab.

Thryiss: Lieutenant, are you meaning to tell me that we could soon be without life support if we don't take control of this situation soon?

Engineering: ... Yes, Captain.

Thryiss: Understood. Thryiss out. Ensign Stanton. How are the science teams progressing?

Stanton: Captain, the teams are doing everything they can to figure out how these particles are affecting our systems, but their tricorders are showing nothing, and without power, we don't have access to our more advanced equipment.

Audler: Sir, these things are draining the entire ship. I recommend we jettison them immediately.

*Thryiss bites her lip. After a short pause, she taps her combadge.*

Thryiss: Engineering, based on the rate at which these particles are affecting our systems, how long do we have before we lose life support in the critical areas of the ship?

Engineering: Calculating now captain... I reckon we have two hours.

Thryiss: Thank you. Thryiss out. (To Audler) Jettisoning those particles may have to be an option, but I will not do so until absolutely necessary. I am not wasting three years of our lives all because of one deck is floating around with a stale atmosphere. Ensign Wil, what's the ETA on our two knights in shining armour?

Wil: About two hours, Captain.

Thryiss: We'll make it. Send them our full status report. And see if they can find a way to safely contain the Great Barrier particles. One sitting duck is enough, we don't need two more.

Wil: Aye, Captain.

Two hours? That's not so bad. Still beats a Klingon armada.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "There are three things to remember about being a starship captain:
    keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never abandon a member of your crew."

- Kathryn Janeway
    edited June 2013
    wlafrance wrote: »

*Ensign Wil is at the tactical station and has been put in charge of communications. Captain Thryiss is in her chair, conferring with her first officer, Commander Audler. Over the years, Wil has learned to be weary of Audler and his strict way of handling the crew, which seems to amplify when the Captain's around. A notification beeps and text scrolls onto the screen.*

Wil: Captain, Earth Space Dock has received our distress signal! They've sent the U.S.S. Black Phantom... and the U.S.S. Bunker Hill.

Audler: Seems a bit excessive, don't you think?

Thryiss: I'm not complaining at this point, Commander. I take it they'd like a status report, Ensign Wil?

Wil: Yes, Captain.

Thryiss: Good. Me too. *She taps her combadge* Engineering, this is the Bridge. What's new in our situation?

Engineering: Nothing good, Captain. The power failures seem to be getting worse. Deck 6 section 7 is completely in the dark and half of the deck is without artificial gravity. Not even atmospheric controls are online in the science lab.

Thryiss: Lieutenant, are you meaning to tell me that we could soon be without life support if we don't take control of this situation soon?

Engineering: ... Yes, Captain.

Thryiss: Understood. Thryiss out. Ensign Stanton. How are the science teams progressing?

Stanton: Captain, the teams are doing everything they can to figure out how these particles are affecting our systems, but their tricorders are showing nothing, and without power, we don't have access to our more advanced equipment.

Audler: Sir, these things are draining the entire ship. I recommend we jettison them immediately.

*Thryiss bites her lip. After a short pause, she taps her combadge.*

Thryiss: Engineering, based on the rate at which these particles are affecting our systems, how long do we have before we lose life support in the critical areas of the ship?

Engineering: Calculating now captain... I reckon we have two hours.

Thryiss: Thank you. Thryiss out. (To Audler) Jettisoning those particles may have to be an option, but I will not do so until absolutely necessary. I am not wasting three years of our lives all because of one deck is floating around with a stale atmosphere. Ensign Wil, what's the ETA on our two knights in shining armour?

Wil: About two hours, Captain.

Thryiss: We'll make it. Send them our full status report. And see if they can find a way to safely contain the Great Barrier particles. One sitting duck is enough, we don't need two more.

Wil: Aye, Captain.

Two hours? That's not so bad. Still beats a Klingon armada.

*On the Phantom*

Mirra: We just got their report. They estimate that they have two hours left.

Voporak: Looks like we'll be just in time. Will the temporal shielding protect the ship from the particles?

Omet'etan (Jem'hadar tactical officer): We've never tested it. I recommend that we stay a safe distance from the Vancouver, just enough to safely use the transporter.

Mirra: We've also received word that the Bunker Hill is coming along.

Voporak: Who's the commanding officer of that ship?

Mirra: Vice Admiral Soval.

Voporak: Soval... let's avoid the use of the more 'exotic' technology if we can.

Omet'etan: Understood.

Voporak: Inform the Vancouver that we've received their message.