test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A new Faction to play

deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
All these factions that we have right now, must cooperate, correct?

Why not we develop the Borg as a playable faction?

It wouldn't be as wide of a variety as the Feds, but it'd still have its own storyline. Some of the storyline can be historical missions. Starting off, you'd be sent to the romulan/fed neutral zone with the job of assimilating colonies. Then you'd intercept the Enterprise D, board it and capture Picard, assisting him at the battle of wolf 359. It doesn't have to violate canon, but you can add to the storylines. First one would end at the Battle of Sector 001, where you join the Queen in the past, then assimilate the Enterprise E. Of course you're defeated, but that's not the point.

Second storyline would be relating to Voyager and the undine. You'd be sent in the first wave to assimilate the undine. It'd end with the battle of the transwarp hub.

3rd would involve explaining why the Borg disappeared then returned.

They would be the bad guys. Playing this faction would be like playing the bad guys. Not a lot of things a Borg can do, but it'd be awesome to play it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can our society no longer enjoy what new things we have even for a lil while?
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it takes time to create a new race. I hear all this about carddies, bajorans (why that one, I dunno as they're members of the Federation) and smaller races, but none really the bad guys out to destroy all living things.
    edited June 2013
    I haven't seen a borg thread...

Beside, give me one good reason why we shouldn't have the bad guys.

You see it in War Craft, where you can play the good guys and the bad guys. You see it in Civilizations, Galactic Empires, Axis & Allies. The bad guys are playable.
  • pharaoh6000pharaoh6000 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ...Beside, give me one good reason why we shouldn't have the bad guys...

We *do* have the bad guys - they're called 'Klingons' and they're already playable.
    3D Art of my Captain, MYRR TALON
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why not we develop the Borg as a playable faction?

Because a Borg faction makes no sense from a story or gameplay standpoint
    It wouldn't be as wide of a variety as the Feds, but it'd still have its own storyline. Some of the storyline can be historical missions. Starting off, you'd be sent to the romulan/fed neutral zone with the job of assimilating colonies. Then you'd intercept the Enterprise D, board it and capture Picard, assisting him at the battle of wolf 359. It doesn't have to violate canon, but you can add to the storylines. First one would end at the Battle of Sector 001, where you join the Queen in the past, then assimilate the Enterprise E. Of course you're defeated, but that's not the point.

Second storyline would be relating to Voyager and the undine. You'd be sent in the first wave to assimilate the undine. It'd end with the battle of the transwarp hub.

3rd would involve explaining why the Borg disappeared then returned.

None of this makes any sense. To say nothing of the fact you're talking about situations that happened many years apart, all of which occured in the past
    I haven't seen a borg thread...

There have been many of them. Look a little harder
    Beside, give me one good reason why we shouldn't have the bad guys.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't have the bad guys. We are saying we shouldn't have the Borg. It wouldn't make any sense. Nor would it work from a technical standpoint. How exactly would you, as a mindless drone, be doing all these things? and don't give me any bs about representing the will of the collective or any of that nonsense
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What the Borg Faction threads have amounted to is that playing as a Borg would mean absolutely no control over our character or play as a Borg as part of the Borg Cooperative, Hugh's group, Unimatrix Zero, or some other Borg faction that has obtained their individuality. So chances are that we would have a wimpified Borg mini-faction that would be similar to the Romulan mini-faction where we have to ally with the Feds or KDF. Any character from a new mini-faction would have to be allied with the Feds or KDF since if they did not make a 3rd faction with Romulans, then there will never be a 3rd faction.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    From what I understand a Hugh's/Unimatrix Zero Borg faction is not outside the realm of possibilities. But we are talking way down the road. Cardassians seem to be the popular choice from a fan standpoint, but I don't think Cryptic has made any real decision regarding adding another faction to the game.

As for a "True" collective borg. Not going to happen. First of all, the borg don't work that way. They are a collective in the truest sense. There is no "Captain" and no "subordinate". There is THE Queen and Drones. No drone is of higher rank then any other drone. You don't have an sense of individuality, so what "Story" would you have?
    edited June 2013
    You don't need to be an individual, you can be an effective drone that the Queen favours.

p.s. I dont consider the klingons the bad guys
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In order to play a MMO character, the MMO character has to have individuality. Doing a simple task like repair a piece of equipment in a MMO means I could take a detour to visit the bar before I do it or do another mission. With the Borg, there is no detour. You have to walk a specific path, do a specific task, then return to your alcove. As far as being something like Seven of Nine, do you really expect there would be thousands of Seven of Nine like Borg running around the Collective and doing their own thing as if they have a sense of individuality? It is bad enough that we have thousands of Vice Admirals running around and having a thousands of Locutus and Seven of Nines running around would break player immersion too much. It would be like having the final rank of STO for Feds being President of the Federation. There can only be one President and there can only be a small handful of Locutus and Seven of Nine across all of known space not thousands.