test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Flagship

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Its been said that the Scimatar won't be the Romulan Flagship, but the Romulans will have one.

So what would you like to see in a Romulan Flagship and what kind of NPCs would you like to see as Captain and Bridge Crew of story ship?

Personally I'd like to see a Romulan Captain with a Reman first officer, and a Romulan liberated borg chief enigeer.
Post edited by lordgyor on

Comments

• Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the current STO RR flagship is that Haanom in the Romulan Flotilla.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Isn't that a Haapex? Meh, anyways, I don't think they've revealed the flagship yet. I mean it was a while before the feds and KDF got to see the Odyssey and Bortas, so I figure the Romulans/Remans will have to wait as well.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Isn't that a Haapex? Meh, anyways, I don't think they've revealed the flagship yet. I mean it was a while before the feds and KDF got to see the Odyssey and Bortas, so I figure the Romulans/Remans will have to wait as well.

Huh. You're right, it is a Ha'apax! I keep forgetting that the Ha'nom is just the "top half." :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We had an interesting discussion on the matter some time ago in "General Discussion".
    What we came up with was this: the Republic is very new and of course it's questionable whether they'd have the time and resources to design and build a new flagship in a matter of months.
    Such things can easily take years, especially when the design is rather hughe.
    However we hit on the idea that inside the Vault, before it was abandoned, the RSE had actually begun to build the prototype for a new kind of advanced battleship and abandoned the emtpy hull. So Obisek and the Remans found the ship hidden inside the Vault. The Republic used the hull and the construction plans left behind as a basis for their new flagship, leaving "controversial" stuff like Thalaron and Borg tech out. So the end result is a new ship that the RSE lacks but is more or less a conventional battleship, which IMO would fit the moral stance of the RR pretty well.

Aestetics...well how about a slightly stretched, more streamlined version of the D'deridex?:)
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    The Republic used the hull and the construction plans left behind as a basis for their new flagship, leaving "controversial" stuff like Thalaron and Borg tech out. So the end result is a new ship that the RSE lacks but is more or less a conventional battleship, which IMO would fit the moral stance of the RR pretty well.

Aestetics...well how about a slightly stretched, more streamlined version of the D'deridex?:)
    Why should they ? The fed and KDf are scared about Tal Shiar using Borg tech because it would fall into the wrong hand. As a RR, I'm part of the Task Force Omega, and I'm using borg tech on my ship. New Romulus also have a transwarp gate, which is the result of work on Borg transwarp gates.
    Being Allied to the fed/KDF doesn't mean you have to do exactly as they say. Romulan are still Romulan. They would probably don't use the Thalaron, because it's probably part of the agreement between the super powers of the quadrant. And yet it's not really sure, considering Obisek aquired some of it for his fight, and he is part of the RR now. Borg tech is everywhere on the other hand. Not to mention Dominion, Tal Shiar, and Tholian ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    avengerkid1993avengerkid1993 Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mmm the romulan flagship should be the Scimitar.

if you look at fleet red alert PVE missions, romulan dreadnoughts are scimitars.

But it seems to me that the Haakona class is going to be the Flottilla Flagship, so i don't know.
    Maybe romulans are going to have 2 Flagships, like FEDs (Galaxy Dreadnought and Odyssey).
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mmm the romulan flagship should be the Scimitar.

if you look at fleet red alert PVE missions, romulan dreadnoughts are scimitars.

But it seems to me that the Haakona class is going to be the Flottilla Flagship, so i don't know.
    Maybe romulans are going to have 2 Flagships, like FEDs (Galaxy Dreadnought and Odyssey).

The Feds flagship is the Odyssey, just because a ship is labeled a Dreadnought doesn't mean its a flagship, the Vo'quv is a Dreadnought but the Bortaqu is the flagship.

It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for the Scimitar to be the flagship for a couple reasons.

The Scimitar, while it might be used by the RR it doesn't say RR to me, I mean I don't imagine the RR would choose a flying doom machine for their flagship.

Its Reman...only ship of Reman design really, not to say the RR Romulans are racist but I imagine if they're going to choose a flagship its gonna be of Romulan or joint Romulan/Reman design.

Lastly the other flagship have followed a pattern, they're large, new, and they deployed a frigate...none of these the Scimitar is or has. (Well the Scimitar isn't small but the D'Deridex is supposed to be bigger if I recall, plus when you consider the Scimitar is a flying weapon it wouldn't have room for a frigate.)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    The Feds flagship is the Odyssey, just because a ship is labeled a Dreadnought doesn't mean its a flagship, the Vo'quv is a Dreadnought but the Bortaqu is the flagship.

It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for the Scimitar to be the flagship for a couple reasons.

The Scimitar, while it might be used by the RR it doesn't say RR to me, I mean I don't imagine the RR would choose a flying doom machine for their flagship.

Its Reman...only ship of Reman design really, not to say the RR Romulans are racist but I imagine if they're going to choose a flagship its gonna be of Romulan or joint Romulan/Reman design.

Lastly the other flagship have followed a pattern, they're large, new, and they deployed a frigate...none of these the Scimitar is or has. (Well the Scimitar isn't small but the D'Deridex is supposed to be bigger if I recall, plus when you consider the Scimitar is a flying weapon it wouldn't have room for a frigate.)

The counter to that being that Empress Sela used the IRW Leavhal as her flagship, and that was a scimitar. But then again, that's Sela, not D'tan. But what you have to remember is that they are still Romulan at heart, and the Romulans are known for subtlety, deceit, and being sneaky overall. And the Scimitar matches that. The RR might be a new direction, but it's still composed of Romulans.

Just a random counter argument.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Why should they ? The fed and KDf are scared about Tal Shiar using Borg tech because it would fall into the wrong hand. As a RR, I'm part of the Task Force Omega, and I'm using borg tech on my ship. New Romulus also have a transwarp gate, which is the result of work on Borg transwarp gates.
    Being Allied to the fed/KDF doesn't mean you have to do exactly as they say. Romulan are still Romulan. They would probably don't use the Thalaron, because it's probably part of the agreement between the super powers of the quadrant. And yet it's not really sure, considering Obisek aquired some of it for his fight, and he is part of the RR now. Borg tech is everywhere on the other hand. Not to mention Dominion, Tal Shiar, and Tholian ship.

Because part of what your missions while infiltrating the Tal Shiar was to expose what kind of actions they'll take.
    That included using Borg technology.;)
    Also, during your talk in "Frozen" it becomes rather clear you're not happy with the use of Thalaron weapons and my guess is this would also apply to the RR government.
    So it's just a guess of course, but I think they'd not use those weapons on an offensive platform.

And when you look at how D'tan and also Tovan (yes I know he's not very popular with the players) act througout the dialogues, it seems they want to fight their enemies without becoming like them.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The counter to that being that Empress Sela used the IRW Leavhal as her flagship, and that was a scimitar. But then again, that's Sela, not D'tan. But what you have to remember is that they are still Romulan at heart, and the Romulans are known for subtlety, deceit, and being sneaky overall. And the Scimitar matches that. The RR might be a new direction, but it's still composed of Romulans.

Just a random counter argument.

Just a random thought (not even a counter really): Cryptic is known to use whatever art assed they have on hand without compunctions to replace them later on. Just like they're phasing the various Jupiters and Typhoons out step by step.
    They might do something similar to the Scimitars as well in the future.;)
  • Options
    mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    We had an interesting discussion on the matter some time ago in "General Discussion".
    What we came up with was this: the Republic is very new and of course it's questionable whether they'd have the time and resources to design and build a new flagship in a matter of months.
    Such things can easily take years, especially when the design is rather hughe.
    However we hit on the idea that inside the Vault, before it was abandoned, the RSE had actually begun to build the prototype for a new kind of advanced battleship and abandoned the emtpy hull. So Obisek and the Remans found the ship hidden inside the Vault. The Republic used the hull and the construction plans left behind as a basis for their new flagship, leaving "controversial" stuff like Thalaron and Borg tech out. So the end result is a new ship that the RSE lacks but is more or less a conventional battleship, which IMO would fit the moral stance of the RR pretty well.

you mean like the Kerchan Class?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/086/b/2/Kerchan_Warbird_by_Euderion.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/255123909?view_mode%3D2&h=675&w=900&sz=87&tbnid=Hb6Iqp2qk--aUM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__By4K5bUPZZRnAjX0beiLriddNhc=&docid=UIlkmxojTalimM&sa=X&ei=xFC2UZ6LB8KvrQGoj4HQDQ&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAg&dur=460
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd like it to be something new just because the RSE used the scimitar and I'd like D'Tan to walk his own road.

That said, the scimitars are still pretty cool, so I'd be ok with one as the flagship.

I like the idea of a bigger more streamlined dreadnaught-power D'D. That's an idea I can get behind. =)
  • Options
    captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    since the ronulan republic had little resources and little records so i thing the flag ship should be a d'dredrex to remember their ship history.

both the d'dredrex and hapak's both have the same turnign and almos tthe dame hall stats they could be both flag ships.

the hapax feel to be a bit too much of a drop ship to be a flag ship for my liking
  • Options
    arvistaljikarvistaljik Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While it seems the Haapax would be the Romulan Republic's "current" flagship, they will likely get another custom designed vessel as their official faction flagship. The Odyssey and Bortas'qu were original designs so it stands to reason that the Romulans will get equal treatment.

I also agree with f2pdrakon, the Romulan flagship will have similar stats and capabilities to the other faction flagships.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Yes, because clearly removing a canon ship is the smart thing to do.

I am sick and tired of this dance, reminds me of the old Fed Carrier arguments ...

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, I never said the Scimitar shouldn't be in game...I just don't think it should be the flagship.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't really know what I want the flagship to be, but it can have Tovan Kev. He's not doing anything on my ship, might as well transfer someplace
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Look the Scimitar is not going to be the Flagship because if you look at the Odyssey and the Bortasqu' you notice similarities.

Both have cruisers.
    Both have high hull.
    Both have a deployable combat pet.

That's because the Odyssey and Bortas are practically carbon copies of each other.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yes, because clearly removing a canon ship is the smart thing to do.

I am sick and tired of this dance, reminds me of the old Fed Carrier arguments ...

Then you have a strange memory.
    It's not about a Romulan ship design, it's about a Reman one.
    And to be precise about the ship a human usurper used to overthrow the Romulan government.
    So the Republic would not use it because it's a planet killer and sybol of despotism and madness (let's face it: Shinzon was kinda crazy and *EDIT: strike "homicidal", make that "genocidal") and the RSE would not use it because it represents "inferiors" overthrowing their rule.
    Because when the RSE is on a quest to enslave and exterminate them it make perfect sense to fly a ship that symbilises their (short) rule over the RSE.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Sorta...kinda...even though I always thought the Kerchan looks like something from the Enterprise-C era...but yeah the general proportions would be allright.
    Too bad Cryptic can't use fan-designs outside of a CBS contest, I'd have one or two Romulan ships I'd send to them.:(
  • Options
    zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The FED side use of a story ship in the Enterprise F was likely wanted more by CBS than Cryptic as it?s at the core of selling their Star Trek IP. If you look at the way the Romulan story campaign was put together, your ship and your crew is the story ship rather than just another FED captain flying around while the major IP players do or have done everything. I prefer it that way. They have lots of room to revisit the campaign and finish it up.

I would have thought that the Scimitar would be the flagship for the Romulans but apparently its going to be just the carrier pack. Since both the FED and KDF flag ship vessels are cruisers I assume the same will be true of the ROMR. Looking over the ship line up the Haakona / Haapax fits the role to a degree already. Like when the Oddessy was introduced there was a free one you could aquire and then a fleet version. They have a free and then a fleet Haapax but appear to be missing a T5 version that uses its skin. I feel the Haakona is a unique ship in its own right liable to get a fleet version eventually.

So, considering I expect a reworking of the Ha?apax with role bonuses and distinctive consoles to be the ROMR flagship... Maybe even next month.
  • Options
    quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zdfx19 wrote: »

I would have thought that the Scimitar would be the flagship for the Romulans but apparently its going to be just the carrier pack.

It's theorized to be a carrier and a three pack... Unless you've seen/heard something I haven't? If you have, PLEASE SHARE!!!!! I can't wait for the Scimitar :D