test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter vs. STO

thejosephinethejosephine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Ten Forward
Does anyone here have any good reviews/lists that compare Neverwinter to STO?

Who else here has tried out the other game?

I downloaded it the other day and got to level 5, and noticed a few things. I read their forum for about 30 minutes, then decided to come here for answers, as some things seem a little tense over there.

Confusion/Concerns for the game.

1. Grouping? - Granted, I only got to level 5, but the gameplay seems similar to STO, the single player MMO, with limited grouping. I'm guessing that changes at max level, but there seems to be a whole host of problems there.

1a. DnD Feel Gone? - This game doesn't really have the DnD feel to it, but a generic fantasy world like WoW or Guild Wars. The character builds don't seem to reflect even a portion, like DnD Online, or the old Neverwinter Games.

2. FTP/PTW? - A lot of reviews are pretty harsh, but I expect it is similar to STO, where the cash ships/clases are definitively more powerful than the free ones. Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is for free to play?

3. Endgame - Don't have much idea here. Is it locked out for only the most hardcore/dedicated players? Or is it more like STO, where a 50 can join an E-STF and do well as long as they know what they are doing.

4. Exploits - There seems to be quite the uproar on the forums over exploiting/skipping dungeon content. I am amazed that so many users are defending the behavior. It seems currently that most endgame dungeons are exploit only, and attempting to do it the normal way is shunned.

5. Economy - Due to a number of exploits, the economy is extremely unstable. Only starting a few days ago, it seems I would be late to the party (as usual). So those who have been around and exploiting have the most money/control to do whatever they please. Is there a way for someone new get funded/geared?

6. No reset for launch?- I read there won't be a wipe for launch. This does seem a bit irresponsible as the state of exploits/economy seem to almost demand it. It rewards those who showed up early and cheated their way to power. A fix of the majority of exploits, along with a wipe (partial maybe) would re-balance things.

Overall, I found the gameplay entertaining and much better than STO ground combat. I think STO could benefit from that. With the Endgame/exploits/economy, I'm not sure I would stick around long.

That being said, anyone also playing and want to join up?
Post edited by thejosephine on

Comments

• sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Weapons
    Limited
    All fighters stuck with swords
    All so called wizards have identicals spells and need an orb
    All clerics are useless

PVP
    pointless and cyclic (everyone dies in turn)

Advancement
    deliberately pointless

to save this game

scrap orbs and other stupidity
    let mages have different spells

publish a DAMN MANUAL
    Live long and Prosper
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought NW was pretty bad, I have to admit. Gameplay-wise it is nothing like STO.

But, if I want to swing swords I play GW2, which is superb.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    I thought NW was pretty bad, I have to admit. Gameplay-wise it is nothing like STO.

I have to agree.

I played NW for a little while and I found it to be really bad as well. I'm not a fan of it's combat system (or anything in that game really) at all. The recent interview that Dan had where he spoke about having the NW team consult for STO ground combat quite frankly scares me. I dearly hope that absolutely nothing from NW makes it's way to STO. Unfortunately we got pieces of their weird character creator (which ended up with us losing the undo/redo buttons), but I'd like to leave it at that. STO needs to be STO and not NW.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The power level in each game is slightly different, as not many plotlines in NWN deal with entire star systems being obliterated, and dragons don't fare well when taking on warp-driven starships.

Different settings for different stories. Trying to compare a game about a fantasy setting where magic and inhuman creatures interact in a world alongside Humans to one where interstellar empires send starships capable of destroying worlds on missions across the galaxy is difficult because the two have different goals.

That impacts the game systems as well. There is no magic system needed for STO, nor are all encounters happening on one world, nor is there a need for star travel or ship-to-ship 3-d combat systems in NWN, so the elements in each will be different.

Ultimately, I think you decide what kind of universe you want to play in, and select the game based on that. Trying to decide which is the 'better' game in any other way is missing the entire goal of each.

My two cents.
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The settings aside, NW is far more intrusive in terms of cash-shop stuff, has far, far less customization (skills,gear), and is completely on rails as far as the quests are concerned. Granted, I did not get too high in level, so some of that may be unfair.

But just the idea that 1 class = 1 weapon set is unappealing.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But, if I want to swing swords I play GW2, which is superb.

This pretty much sums it up. While there are very few alternatives to STO as far as Sci-Fi mmos are concerned (and those few big ones out there are radically different from each other), there are a lot of single and multiplayer games directly competing with NW.

While NW might not be such a bad game, I'd consider games like "AOIN", Rift, WoW, Lotr, GW2, Conan etc... much more refined, balanced and with more depth, both as far as the amount and quality of content is concerned. Even visually, those beforementioned overshadow NW, even if they're already a few years old.
  • thejosephinethejosephine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This pretty much sums it up. While there are very few alternatives to STO as far as Sci-Fi mmos are concerned (and those few big ones out there are radically different from each other), there are a lot of single and multiplayer games directly competing with NW.

While NW might not be such a bad game, I'd consider games like "AOIN", Rift, WoW, Lotr, GW2, Conan etc... much more refined, balanced and with more depth, both as far as the amount and quality of content is concerned. Even visually, those beforementioned overshadow NW, even if they're already a few years old.

I was getting that feeling already after getting to level 5. Which is a shame, as I really enjoyed the previous Neverwinter games, and a bit of DnD online. Was hoping this was a better, streamlined version. Guess I'll stick to GW2 as my game for my breaks from STO (only can take so much Dilithium farming.)
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It was a nice change for a short while, but it all becomes boring way too quick.
    As stated before, stupid Orbs etc, but for me Open World PvP battlgrounds where you come and go is what keeps my crowd playing but...

Once again Cryptic have shown they hate and do not like PvP in there games, the PvP in NwN is the worst in MMO history! it really is bad, silly little 5man maps, really?

Also take the DnD with a pinch of salt, its not really DnD or NwN.

It is Free, so play for few weeks and take a break from STO, but it wont hold you much longer than that.

The economy in the game is allready shot to smithereens and cant see it repairing itself for ages yet.

The Lockboxes are silly too, there top prize is a Mount, nothing special, doesnt dso much what another one can and you hardly use the Mount too, especially with the small Instanced 20man MP maps they use lol
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The worst part about NW is when you upgrade almost anything I have seen on my Trickster so far, it is the same model. When you hit a certain level, your female gets a midriff section added to her shirt to protect her belly but the model for the armor is pretty much the same every upgrade every time. You might get a hat or a mask for your head which looks the same as the other hat or mask you had before - except the pirate cap you get early on. Sometimes you can have a cape for a level instead of a brooch. The cosmetic clothing is a joke. It's Zen bought and pretty lame. So you can run around in peasant clothes made of burlap bags or wear the same armor forever.

After getting to level 35, I turned NW into a mini-game in the browser. I craft in the gateway. That's about it. I login to sell my crafts and refine AD, buy more crafting supplies, pray so I get a token, then go back to visiting the gateway now and then.

Simply put, I find it not much fun and I find it that much more not much fun when they have to fix something over there causing us to get "server stability" patches here because NW can't go down without STO going down. To fix the myriad exploits and scams over there, STO gets bumped offline, extra maint, and lag. They have said many times they aren't on the same server. Maybe so but some part of it must be because if a dragon farts on NW, a star explodes in STO. The account server, database, Zen store... something has the two connected with an umbilical cord so that one can't live without the other. Separate your games, guys.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    NW, I actually find fun, as a break to STO.

But this simple Mathematical equation can tell you, what I preferences are

STO = o

NV = v

2o>3v
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    The worst part about NW is when you upgrade almost anything I have seen on my Trickster so far, it is the same model. When you hit a certain level, your female gets a midriff section added to her shirt to protect her belly but the model for the armor is pretty much the same every upgrade every time. You might get a hat or a mask for your head which looks the same as the other hat or mask you had before - except the pirate cap you get early on. Sometimes you can have a cape for a level instead of a brooch. The cosmetic clothing is a joke. It's Zen bought and pretty lame. So you can run around in peasant clothes made of burlap bags or wear the same armor forever.

After getting to level 35, I turned NW into a mini-game in the browser. I craft in the gateway. That's about it. I login to sell my crafts and refine AD, buy more crafting supplies, pray so I get a token, then go back to visiting the gateway now and then.

Simply put, I find it not much fun and I find it that much more not much fun when they have to fix something over there causing us to get "server stability" patches here because NW can't go down without STO going down. To fix the myriad exploits and scams over there, STO gets bumped offline, extra maint, and lag. They have said many times they aren't on the same server. Maybe so but some part of it must be because if a dragon farts on NW, a star explodes in STO. The account server, database, Zen store... something has the two connected with an umbilical cord so that one can't live without the other. Separate your games, guys.

Spot on yea, the look of your character is really lame, everyone looks the same, as for Crafting...... what a joke.
  • lambdabernlambdabern Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does anyone here have any good reviews/lists that compare Neverwinter to STO?

1a. DnD Feel Gone? - This game doesn't really have the DnD feel to it, but a generic fantasy world like WoW or Guild Wars. The character builds don't seem to reflect even a portion, like DnD Online, or the old Neverwinter Games.

To be fair they had to work with what the 4th edition had done to the game in general and the Forgotten Realms specifically. No matter what a person's opinion is on the 4th edition I think most agree it messed up FR pretty bad.
    ---
    Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but my wife and I have been duoing NWN for a bit and are really enjoying it. We have a duo that is level 13-ish and a duo that's around 17. So far we're having lots of fun.

That said, this is definitely not a hardcore RPG by any stretch. IMO, it's more a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance console action RPG than any PC RPG. Fortunately, my wife and I are also among the few who loved that game, so it works out.

We like the deeper stuff, but every now and then, we enjoy the simple action.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Of course, Neverwinter is going to be worse than Star Trek Online. Star Trek Online is 3 years older than Neverwinter. Although, I will say Neverwinter at launch is better than Star Trek Online at launch.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2013
    Tried very hard to like Neverwinter primarily as most of my IRL friends really get into DND. But frankly the unpolished design, and the near impossibility to have an ingame conversation with chat during battle made the game impossible to TEACH.

If I can't TEACH someone what to do, it's not worth playing.

A manual would have been helpful. And the community (in general) were rude and unwilling to help.
  • maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Played it for 15 minutes then quit when it wanted to charge me Zen for changing my character's hair.
  • djcenglanddjcengland Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I tried NWO and found it incredibly boring, and just an exercise in pushing buttons.

There is very little character customisation.
    If you compared 2 characters of the same class and level, the only difference would be race, appearance and possibly kit.

Unfortunately, they got stuck having to use 4th Ed. and having spoken to a couple of shop owners; and a friend that has seen sales stats; Pathfinder is vastly outselling 4th Ed.
    I heard something in ratio of 5:1.
    I think this tells the whole story.

From what I've seen of the upcoming D&D 5th Ed. I'm not impressed with that either.

Curiously 4th Ed. was to appeal to WoW generation, but NWO has really shown to me what a poor rule system 4th Ed. really was. Even a PC game version based on it sucks.

I can't blame Cryptic for how poor it is; they had terrible material to work with.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I quite enjoyed neverwinter. I liked the combat system, it was a nice change of pace. graphics are good and its well put together and polished.

however it is limited in your character creation and building. there seems to be a ton more options for STO in how you make your character in terms of appearance and abilities, and the levelling path seems pretty limited. i dont think it will be something you want to keep doing over and over again on alts.

I think STO is the superior game, but could use a few aspects of NW that are well made.
  • necriusnecrius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like Neverwinter and think its combat system is much better than STO's.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I played for a couple days and the impression I got from playing and from their forums is most of the entire playerbase that has been Beta testing has all been exploiting like crazy and ruined the economy already. I doubt it could be fixed without complete server wipe.

I also am a longtime D&D player both PnP and other PC games and I was disappointed with the lack of character customization. No alignment choices, limited class selection, no evil Deities, stats are randomly distributed.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ** Reads thread

** Breaks out with Black Ilse's Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale CDs.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    I played for a couple days and the impression I got from playing and from their forums is most of the entire playerbase that has been Beta testing has all been exploiting like crazy and ruined the economy already. I doubt it could be fixed without complete server wipe.

You're going to base your opinion of a game on its forums, despite having played STO and had fun all these years while the forums were full of doom and gloom and every patch broke the entire game etc. ?

:)

I'm having lots of fun in Neverwinter. The supposed damage to the economy is overblown, it's actually stabilizing pretty well there, considering that it's still dealing with the huge initial influx of AD from all the Founder packs.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".