test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Playing as a member of the Romulan Republic

mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I'm beginning work on my next series of guides. Three of them, one for starting a character on each faction, as if it was your first character ever in playing STO, and thus you didn't know anything. So keep that in mind when answering the questions:

1. What do you feel is the philosophy for playing as a member of the Romulan Republic?

2. What are the biggest strengths you will have as playing as a Romulan Republic officer?

3. The biggest weaknesses?

4. What personal reasons do you have for playing as the Romulan Republic?

5. What ships do you feel are the 'best' from the Romulan Republic's fleet?

6. The worst?

7. What class of character do you play? Or do you have multiple characters with different classes?

8. What is the best 'focus' of the Romulan Republic's combat? What do they tend to excel at the absolute most?

Feel free to suggest any questions you might have as well. I may also add more questions in the near future if I think of more or if I get ones I feel should be added.
I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
Post edited by mimey2 on

Comments

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do you mean like as a philosophical 'why are you a Republic officer' RPing question, or a mechanical 'when you roll up a Rom toon, how do you approach your build' kinda thing? Similar wording can mean two very different things. Both interesting, but different.
  • Options
    mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I'm beginning work on my next series of guides. Three of them, one for starting a character on each faction, as if it was your first character ever in playing STO, and thus you didn't know anything. So keep that in mind when answering the questions:

1. What do you feel is the philosophy for playing as a member of the Romulan Republic?

2. What are the biggest strengths you will have as playing as a Romulan Republic officer?

6. The worst?

7. What class of character do you play? Or do you have multiple characters with different classes?

8. What is the best 'focus' of the Romulan Republic's combat? What do they tend to excel at the absolute most?

Feel free to suggest any questions you might have as well. I may also add more questions in the near future if I think of more or if I get ones I feel should be added.

1. Rome fell, but that was a long time ago. Empires fall and rise up again only to fall and rise again. The real Rome did this over and over (I also include the Byzantine Empire in this), Egypt also did this. They went from periods of great strength and unity to periods of little government (save local) over and over. So when I play as a member of the Republic I play to establish a stronger empire (not reclaim the old one) for the future, for the Romulans and Remans who have lived unfulfilled lives, to give them a better place to call home.

2. The greatest strength of the Republic is its members, the players. Much like the KDF is tight knit, so is the Republic. I know I will go out of my way to save a fellow Romulan/Reman if they are in trouble in the various PvEs, my fellow citizens mean a lot to me.

3. The greatest weakness...having to ally with the Fed or the KDF. Sure we may have lost our homeworld...but that was 40 something like years ago. If memory serves after the destruction of Praxis the Federation thought the Klingon Empire would completely fall in 30-50 years. If anything the Klingons got stronger. I am not advocating that we should throw in with Hakeevs bunch, but surely we could have used the Iconians to help us build up our new empire until we got tired of them and turned against them (not backhanded, just best for our Romulan/Reman people)

4. Personal love of history, and the thought of Romulans being driven from Vulcan (and yes I maintain that they were driven) because they did not want to loose their emotions is very strong. I see a group of wanderers who left, managed to work through their emotions but having to leave some of those they probably loved and respected left them very culturally scarred, which is why they are very suspicious subconsciously. It all is so rich and has been explored so little that its enthralling to me.

5. Definitely the D'deridex and the Mogai, the standard skins. They fit in more in timeline wise. The models also look good, and sleek, and romulan ships from the shows and movies are beautifully sleek (unlike reman designs). I would like to see more of these old but good ships get the "Excelsior treatment" for some variants, think the Kerchan class or some of the proposed swooped back wings in the original sketches for the Mogai. ( I know they have seen those, and if not they are all over and on memory alpha)

6. I am thankful for the work Cryptic did, but their ships seem too much like hotrods as opposed to luxury cars. There are alot of pointy bits and things that detract from the graceful sleekness of the earlier ships. The avian motif is good, but with some of the new ships it seems like they went with bird first, starship second, which i think is a mistake. Also the MVAM ships seem counter-intuitive. We know the Romulans were interested in the technology, and Romulan ships are big and "slow" so why did they not take the small sleek design cues from the Fed. MVAM? Make a Romulan Mvam that look'd more like a tiny D'deridex, but split top from bottom with a center section (think something Vulcan inspired, the Romulans have alwayse been fascinated with their old cousins). Splitting into only 2 parts screams saucer sep, not MVAM to me.

7. I play Science, though all of my toons are science because thats what im comfortable with. I also only play one toon, the rest just kinda hang out and are used for bank space.

8. The best thing about Combat for Romulans is that you can just appear out of nowhere and hit your target, you have some lasting power but especially if two warbirds work together we can really tear apart the enemy.
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am currently groggy and it's almost 3 am here so I will delay answering. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Warbird. With the Battle Cloak and the fairly versatile Singularity powers, a skilled captain in a Warbird can prove to be a match for any starship in Starfleet or the KDF.
    Reduced power levels and massive ships limit defensive flexibility somewhat: most Warbirds have worse inertia and/or turn rate values than their Fed or KDF counterparts, either by base or by available Engine power, and maximizing Weapons costs more Shield (passive defense) and Auxiliary (most active defenses and science abilities) power for Warbirds than for Fed/KDF ships.

Ship choices are also currently limited, though... a player will jump from the still-fairly-nimble Mogai to the ponderous D'deridex, the D'deridex and Ha'apax are the only options for Battlecruiser-type Warbirds, and the Ha'nom is the only support/science-type Warbird.
    There is a ship for almost every play style... at least, from a Tactically-oriented standpoint. Options are more limited than Fed or even KDF on the Science and Engineering sides, however.

Right now, though, I'm using the the Ha'apax, which feels like some vast, predatory bird swooping in to deliver a world of pain to its prey.
    6. The worst?
    Other than the T'liss? ;)

The T'varo Retrofit, while itself a somewhat more versatile Warbird due to its Universal seat and even console distribution, is notably more fragile than the other Warbirds. I like to be able to survive an enemy attack run, thank-you-very-much.
    I run an Engineer. Their EPS Manifold Efficiency trait and 3 ranks in Batteries allows them to mitigate the lower power of the Singularity Core.
    Decloaking attack runs are their greatest focus, with Battle Cloaks and the destructive force of Dual Heavy Cannons available on every ship in the fleet. Besides the Ambush bonus (which Romulan Bridge officers and Captain traits can augment), the cloak allows a ship to reposition itself for another attack run or evade pursuit when its shields are compromised.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited June 2013

The Empress is psychotic, and the Tal'Shiar is made up of one cowardly traitor to the entire Romulan people with an army of those who are either sycophants or incompetent, or both.

Romulans. 'Nuff said.

The T'Liss is classic awesomeness. The Mogai is contemporary awesomeness.

All of my toons are Science officers.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do you mean like as a philosophical 'why are you a Republic officer' RPing question, or a mechanical 'when you roll up a Rom toon, how do you approach your build' kinda thing? Similar wording can mean two very different things. Both interesting, but different.

Both in this case. What is your in-universe, RP'ish reasons for having a Romulan Republic character, and how you actually make your build when you play.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2013

6. The worst?

1) Depends on the character in question... Mostly though the Romulans are a prideful and passionate people. They should be trying to rebuild their civilization to be a proud and self sufficient one again. Perhaps including the Remans in this case.

2) If you mean Mechanics? Singularity Powers and Battle Cloak.

3) Too many ships with high numbers of Engineering slots... Engineering is the most useless of the 3 BOFF slots. A single Commander is easily too much Engineering for most ships. Also... Poor Turn Rates but this can be dealt with to a degree.

4) To test out the new ships and play style as well as to get to play one of my favorite ships. Namely the big D but ironically I am not flying it anymore lol.

5) The T'Varo, Haapex, and D'Deridex.

6) The Mogai is likely the worst.

7) Tactical... The ships have a lot of defensive abilities but a proper Romulan ship needs the decloak burst of death a Tactical Can provide.

8) They need to learn how to use battle cloak effectively. This is something any BoP pilot worth their Gagh has already figured out. Hit and run, ambush tactics, disabling opponents before you decloak with the T'Varo, things like this.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A Romulans first and last duty is to his people, unlike the Federation a Romulan exists to serve the greater good.
    Duty , courage , Honour , loyalty

D'tan and the fluffy squad

I know what it is to come from a broken world and to strive to restore what was

T'varo
    6. The worst?
    Avoid the allied faction ones

full set (Romulan and Reman)
    Strike and cloak warfare
    Remember Romulan ships should fight like submarines

In ground combat use cover and stay alive we are a dying race.
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Survive. Grow. Become strong once again. Forget the conflicts of the past, focus instead on the future.

All of your Warbirds have battle-cloak, and all of them have singularity abilities. You have unique ships and consoles, and a very very interesting faction specific storyline. You also have the most reason to fight out of the three imo.

Currently a low playerbase, which means faction specific items and such are not as easy to get. Also currently have to be latched on to one of the other two factions, which means faction identity isn't as clear.

Love the warbird designs. They are a lot of fun to fly, and very powerful. They also look amazing. Also the storyline was new, and interesting. Lastly, decloaking strikes followed by a recloak and repeat.

Ha'feh (and fleet variant), Ha'nom (and fleet variant), Mogai Retrofit (and fleet variant).

6. The worst?

T'liss/T'varo, D'deridex (freebie, retrofit and fleet version are... tolerable)

Reman Tactical Officer

Ambush GODS. De-cloak on top of a target, blow it away, and re-cloak before their enemies have a chance to kill them. They also excel at changing up the rules on the battlefield with their singularity abilities, and their constant battle-cloaking can make fighting against them to be infuriating. Their ships are all quite powerful despite having lower subsystem power, and they make up for it with great ability.

Again, answers in red.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    cliftona91cliftona91 Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2013

I feel like I am playing a survivor of a society that got blown straight to hell. The citizen that lost his city to an Empire he no longer wants to be a part of. And since Romulans are a very passionate people, with more volatile emotions than even Humans, what would they do when they feel they've been wronged? Bring vengeance upon those that wronged them on wings of Neutronium Alloy.

The Cloak. With our amazing synergy with this piece of technology (Romulan Operative and Subterfuge Racial Traits), we are the undeniable masters of the decloaking Alpha Strike.

Our ships look freaking awesome and awe inspiring. I still am wowed by how big those ships are compared to Fed or KDF designs.

Said cloaks can get us into trouble if we run into mines without shields.

Our ships are a wee big too big, especially if you fly the Haakona, Ha'apax, or D'derdix class ships.

Speaking of ships, the Romulan Republic has a very limited selection of Warbirds, one that will expand in the future. Sure we can use Allied ships, but Warbirds are a clas unique to us.

I like to try new things. Having played the Romulans in Open Beta, I fell in love with the storyline and rolled up a new Toon immediately once the expansion hit Holodeck.

We have a lot of good ships, but I will say the T'varo, Mogai, and Haf'neh are some of the best.

6. The worst?

The DD, Haakona, and Ha'apaxx. Those things are just way too big and too slow for my tastes.

I have a Romulan and Reman Tac Officer

The decloaking Alpha. Unlike Raiders though, they can stay around to slug it out a little due to the fact the Singularity abilities give them great Mobility
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Creating a new beginning for the Romulan species. Building a new world and a new Republic from scratch and restoring the Romulans to their former glory and power so they can take their rightfull place as one of the main players in this part of the galaxy.

That would probably be the singularity cores and the game mechanics attached to them, the battlecloaking warbirds and the Romulan traits that work like charm synchronized with the warbirds.

Being a new fresh faction that needs to grow over time, that would make things be a bit sparse at the beginning, like the starship lineup for now.

As a Trek fan, for me it's and an amazing experience to be a part of something so awesome as creating the second chance for the Romulans, it gives me that nice "I was there when it all begun" feeling. Especially after what certain writers did to the Romulans in the past, it's that much more gratifying to bring one of the main Trek species back where they belong.

But more personally, I never liked the character of Sela, neither in the shows nor in the game. Once upon a time I said here on the forums that whoever goes after Sela will have my hand in combat and loyalty. Seems that would be D'Tan and the Romulan Republic. :D

The T'Varo and Dhelan variants.

6. The worst?

I'm not sure about that at this point.

Usually I play tactical and science.

Ambush, hit and run tactics and intelligent combat. The pros and cons that come with the warbirds so far have made me really apply my mind in what I do during combat, I think that for them to be utilized a player would need to really stop and consider what he/she is doing in combat rather than just spam the 'space' button, which is something that I really like about those ships.
    HQroeLu.jpg