test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Future of Crafting.

atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
I just heard the Neverwinter uses Champions' crafting system. I like Slotted Items, but I do not like how grindy the CO/NW system is. Nobody wants that. It's lame. Please do not make the eventual crafting system update like that. Exponentially increasing costs are not good.
Post edited by atatassault on

Comments

• azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think crafting could be turned into a true customization system. Imagine that you start the crafting process with vanilla items, then you can craft various particle combinations into them in order to imbue them with different procs.

You could put together almost completely unique items by doing so- you could also alter the beam color/weapon/armor skin by doing so. I imagine that a ground antiproton rifle would look pretty cool with blue glowing parts.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just heard the Neverwinter uses Champions' crafting system. I like Slotted Items, but I do not like how grindy the CO/NW system is. Nobody wants that. It's lame. Please do not make the eventual crafting system update like that. Exponentially increasing costs are not good.

Ive never crafted a thing in this game. I've played since beta and never once came across anything that tried to get me interested in it.

I noticed there was a 'time to craft!' update and thought 'what on earth is that all about??'

In other games (especially ultima online) I loved crafting, I had 2 whole persona's dedicated to crafting alone (thats how good its crafting was) you could play the whole game without ever having to enter combat and be just as happy. (you could mine, you could chop wood, you could collect cotton, or sheer wool)

In contrast, I've never seen or heard anything in STO that has remotely interested me in crafting, never had a mission or some kind of bonus related to it, so in STO it's alien to me, even though I have loved it in other games.

Seems to me Crafting in STO needs a HUGE rethink if its going to be a viable part of the game.
    edited June 2013
    Exponentially increasing costs are not good.

Cryptic needs to go back to basics and look at the foundations of good gaming.

For instance in Ultima Online, if you killed a certain mob, you would gain reputation, there was no 'collecting tokens' for each mob you killed of that faction you gained in reputation.

So for instance every borg I killed I would gain reputation with omega fleet, there would be no 'grinding tokens'.

Similarity with skills, the more you used them, the better you would get. If you cut tree's with an axe your woodchopping skills and axe skill would increase. You could use those skills both for crafting AND combat.

In STO terms this would be similar if your used a phaser (or other weapon) to mine dilithium, you would gain in phaser skills and dilithium collection.

If STO could emulate the great games of the past and built upon their lessons this could be a truley great MMO.

If you kill a borg, you gain reputation.

If you use phaser cannons rather than tetyron beams (over a period of time) your damage in that skill (and weapon choice) increases. And so forth. Simple things make for great gaming.
  • waveofthefuturewaveofthefuture Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    STO is run by TRIBBLE Chinese people, its not going to happen.
    edited June 2013

Thats not very helpful...

And they are not exactly TRIBBLE if you look at the recent financial report...
  • sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is no "future" for crafting in STO, because Cryptic/PWE don't want a system that could compete with the power of the zen- and dilithium-based item economy.

If they make crafting items the same as or inferior to dilithium/z-store items, but still require dilithium or dilithium-bought components to be used in crafting, you just end up with an item of equal or lesser power that costs the player more(since you're paying the crafter both for the dilithium and the time invested), so nobody buys crafted gear as it's easier and less expensive to just buy from the dilithium/fleet vendors.

They can't make crafting items powerful enough to justify the extra costs that would come as a result of the effort involved, as they'd lose sales to min-maxers who want the best gear regardless of price unless they make the requirements of crafting so expensive in real-money equivalent currencies that they can make up the shortfall, in which case most people simply won't be able to afford crafted gear and the market will stagnate again.

The simple fact is, crafting - real, involved, properly fulfilling crafting - is a sandbox system, and sandbox systems aren't compatible with microtransactions.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is no "future" for crafting in STO, because Cryptic/PWE don't want a system that could compete with the power of the zen- and dilithium-based item economy.

The simple fact is, crafting - real, involved, properly fulfilling crafting - is a sandbox system, and sandbox systems aren't compatible with microtransactions.

Or they could make such crafting systems work in TANDEM with the microtransaction system, which is probably why they are considering slotted systems.

Pay $$$ for the base item, craft (using materials that cost dilithium or $$$) to customize the item. Offer crafting customizations (interiors , starbase modules, etc) that require titanic grinds....or cost $$$....and put those in the mix to drive further C-store sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I can see it now. Some basic craftable circuitry (gems) for slotting in-game, a handful obtainable through the reputation and starbase systems, a few unique supercircuits on the C-store, and chance boxes in-between.

It is inevitable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    I can see it now. Some basic craftable circuitry (gems) for slotting in-game, a handful obtainable through the reputation and starbase systems, a few unique supercircuits on the C-store, and chance boxes in-between.

It is inevitable.

Pretty much.

We know they have plans for crafting.

We know they make the most money by driving the sales of ZEN (either direct through the C-store, or indirect through Dil exchange)

We know that they prefer having methods that allow grinding to obtain items, but make the grinds ridiculous so that it's easier to just buy. (You can buy the three pack of Oddessy Ships if you just grind 8k a day dil for two and a half months).

We know that crafters, in general, want to profit from crafting.

Intangling dilithium or zen into crafting will certainly give Cryptic a reason to actually make the crafting overhaul meaningful.

My advice? Craft all the AEGIS you can NOW. If you can't , buy it off the exchange, because if I'm right the cost of that stuff will SOAR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    I think crafting could be turned into a true customization system. Imagine that you start the crafting process with vanilla items, then you can craft various particle combinations into them in order to imbue them with different procs.

You could put together almost completely unique items by doing so- you could also alter the beam color/weapon/armor skin by doing so. I imagine that a ground antiproton rifle would look pretty cool with blue glowing parts.

I agree with the idea of starting with common items, then needing a certain type of particle to give it a certain proc [uncommon]. then use the uncommon version and some particles and data samples to add a second proc to produce [rare].

I have suggested this numerous times, never get a response on it, but I think that would make crafting worthwhile again, since players could truly customize their weaponry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Crafting has no place in STO. If the craftable items are too good they will make obsolete the fleet and rep system, if not no one will bother with it. As it is we're ALREADY crafting the rep and fleet items.
  • getabigdogupyougetabigdogupyou Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2013

THEY ARE NOT MENTALY CHALLENGED

they do sadly fall into the asian grind fest mindset when discussing future content they sit around the table and someone says lets add some grind and they all clap in approval
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I figure there's no point in discussing this unless Cryptic is actually soliciting feedback for an crafting revamp (which DStahl has previously expressed interest in doing).
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Crafting is dead there are only a few that really do it day to day i use too but i got out of it when they started that dilithium BS.And added the Uncommon Unreplicateable Material and Common Unreplicateable Material.The Uncommon still cost way too much even after a year.Unless they completely redo the whole crafting system then there is no way i can find better things to do.Like build my star base.:D

Oh and pretty much all the items in the crafting are completely obsolete junk.Not worth the time if you ask me.You can find better items from Drops then from wasting time with crafting.

We have been asking for them to completely overhaul the crafting system for 2 years now and guess what still ant happening.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xcom43 wrote: »
    Crafting is dead there are only a few that really do it day to day i use too but i got out of it when they started that dilithium BS.And added the Uncommon Unreplicateable Material and Common Unreplicateable Material.The Uncommon still cost way too much even after a year.Unless they completely redo the whole crafting system then there is no way i can find better things to do.Like build my star base.:D

Oh and pretty much all the items in the crafting are completely obsolete junk.Not worth the time if you ask me.You can find better items from Drops then from wasting time with crafting.

We have been asking for them to completely overhaul the crafting system for 2 years now and guess what still ant happening.

I have to agree with you. The whole unreplicateable material and common unreplicateable material was just not fair. It's not like we were crafting some Legendary item which than I can understand about it been the mat requirement, but not for uncommon and rare stuff. I stop crafting because when I look at the game, I see that cryptic is Neglecting a Portion of its playbase. I mean think about some people play mmo only to craft because that what they enjoy just like some people love their PvP. Take the delta flyer crafting as an example what did they do, they took out of the game because than want to make more money from the c-store than actually let people play the game and enjoy themselves.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"