test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lindelof teases Trek 3 villains and potential crossover with....Spoiler Alert!

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Ten Forward
In an interview with HeyUGuys, and if you didn't watch Star Trek into Darkness there may be spoilers for you. Star Trek scribe Damon Lindelof not only revealed who may be the bad guys for Star Trek XIII, but also talked about the Borg and Q, and a potential crossover with the prime timeline.

In one part he says:

?You can never see enough Klingons, and I think in this film we?ve given the audience a little taste, but there?s also a promise that there?s a larger conflict on the horizon, and that would be fun to see.?

Then a question about Khan:

?To answer that question would be to determine whether or not he actually survives this movie, but if he survives this movie, I think that we would be incredibly stupid to not use him again.?

And finally:

?You can?t talk about Trek and not talk about the Borg, and certainly about Q. Very iconic adversaries from The Next Generation which is, outside of the original cast films, was my entry way into Star Trek, so I wouldn?t mind getting ? towards the end of our run on Star Trek, maybe baby Picard could be born. There has to be some sort of crossover we?re not thinking of.?

You can read more here at HeyUGuys:

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/damon-lindelof-says-he-already-knows-the-bad-guys-and-key-plot-points-of-star-trek-iii/

So what do you guys thnk?
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That John DeLancy and Patrick Stewart know better than to even pick up the phone when JJ calls.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Part of me is excited at the potential the movies could return to following the prime universe.

Part of me is scared JJ will just muck up the prime universe.

If I heard right, JJ won't be as central to the next movie since he's got Star Wars to "reimagine", so maybe there's hope.

I still groan everytime I remember the JJprise rising out of the ocean and zooming across the sky at a couple of thousand feet above the ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    macjack248macjack248 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd like the villain for the next movie to be someone with a motive for wiping out the entire timeline.

Someone who'll go back in time to save a couple of WHALES, but apparently not his own PLANET.

Perhaps Kirk was right, and he didn't love his mother after all.
  • Options
    jovianusjovianus Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My thoughts?

1. Let the Borg rest in peace, please. They've been abused enough.

2. I don't see Q working in a movie. He's fine in an episodic setting, where his meddling is usually intended to prove a point or something, but having an Omnipotent Being sitting around being smarmy would suck all the drama out of a major movie.
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think my main problem is, I don't see Q as an antagonist. Yes, he is arrogant, meddlesome, and annoying. But I always found a certain benevolence to his mischief.

In nearly every encounter with Q in between all his crazy nonsense, he does seem to help.

Making Q some mustache twirling megalomaniac, might be fun in the short term. but I think it would ultimately not feel like Q (unless he is doing the whole mustache twirly thing just to get a rise out of Picard. I can totally see him doing that.)
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My thoughts? I honestly couldn't give a ****... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2013

I still groan everytime I remember the JJprise rising out of the ocean and zooming across the sky at a couple of thousand feet above the ground.

I'm not sure I follow this. Is your concern about the ship operating in other environments than space? Tomorrow Is Yesterday established that the original Enterprise could still function in an atmosphere.

I'd personally wish them to leave the alternate universe separate from the prime now, unless they are either going to move Spock Prime back to the prime universe, or they are going to end by wiping out the alternate and completely re-establishing the prime as the sole timeline. Neither sounds likely.

Borg are a trickier matter. TNG suggested the first encounter was due to Q's meddling with the Enterprise. Voyager retconned that to say the Borg had apparently been picking up ships and small populations of Beta and Alpha species for years before. I'm not sure I'd like the Borg in Kirk's era though. It might require another deus ex machina of information from Spock Prime. Best to leave the Borg for altered TNG.

Klingons are the classic enemy and have yet to truly be shown in full force in space. I say bring the 5 captains into the picture: Kang, Koloth, Kor, Gorkon, and Chang.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    maybe the end of the movie Q will snap his fingers and the JJverse ceases to exist.....

is what i would say if i was a hater. im indifferent about JJverse.... aside when everyone wants everything from the hands off movies in the game.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Abrams himself should be the villain in the next film. He'd be perfect. :P
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The Borg were retconned into Enteprise, so they should certainly be around in the JJ timeline.

If they wanted Q, they could just as easily recast as call up John DeLancie. Certainly Patrick Stewart wouldn't be needed for "baby Picard". Not much need for a crossover.

Having an alternate timeline gives them free reign to reinvent things as they see fit. Why would they want to shackle themselves to the prime timeline? Regrettably, we are no longer the target audience. The push is to make the franchise profitable by making it more "accessible", i.e. less "Trek". Occasional nods to the actual Trek fans are all that's required.

Look at the uniforms in the new movie. For the most part, they're generic gray sci-fi uniforms. The only time we see the "classic" uniforms at all is on the Enterprise itself.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think he was only teasing, but I really don't want to see them encounter the Borg. They are on the 5-year mission, use some creativity and invent something new, Orci!

With Q, I could see them doing like in the novels and connecting the omnipotent beings like Apollo in TOS being a Q. And I wouldn't mind a cameo by Delancy and Stewart in returning Spock back to the Prime timeline.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2013
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    The Borg were retconned into Enteprise, so they should certainly be around in the JJ timeline.

You make a good point, one which I'd forgotten. In essence, that's another time alternate, Borg to the past, and now with the Antarctic expedition borgified and on its way to tell the rest about Earth. So yeah, I suppose a movie could cover the fallout from that.

If they must fight, I still want a Klingon war, though. However, if they can make a movie without major conflict, I'd be interested in something along the lines of City On The Edge Of Forever.
  • Options
    panchousnpanchousn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In my point of view I would prefer to see an orginal story arc for the next movie. If they are really serious about a re-boot then give me some new stories. I have always been a great fan of the prime timeline (grew up on TNG) but I have enjoyed the new movies as well. In my mind I can keep the two timelines seperate and enjoy both universes without having to erase one or the other. This is a lot easier to do when they are not trying to reimagine ever piece of the prime universe. What I would think would work better would be now that we have had the links to the prime universe both in establishment (Trek 2009) and a reborn/reimagined villian (Into Darkness) let's see some advantures set around this new 5 year mission. And the klingons do make a great antagonist. After all no matter how the fallout was managed I can't imagine the Empire is too happy with the Federation after the events of Into Darkness.
  • Options
    teklionbenrashateklionbenrasha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jovianus wrote: »
    My thoughts?

1. Let the Borg rest in peace, please. They've been abused enough.

2. I don't see Q working in a movie. He's fine in an episodic setting, where his meddling is usually intended to prove a point or something, but having an Omnipotent Being sitting around being smarmy would suck all the drama out of a major movie.

That, and it seems to be the case that the continuum span universes - so that there is no "alternate reality Q" - just Q.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Personally, I think the one real mistake that JJ and crew made with the re-imagined Star Trek was that they really didn't need an alternate timeline to do what they wanted. We have seen only three years of the five year mission. They could have just as easily done movies that took place in year 4 and 5. Not to mention all the time that passed between completing the five year mission and ST:TMP.
  • Options
    vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im a huge Borg fan and I really hope The Borg never show up in a JJ-verse movie, Primarily due to the fact he would probably destroy them like he does to everything, I cant even bare to put my mind to the ways he could mess them up.

why not just invent new aliens to combat or even hell a Mirror universe would be acceptable over Borg in a movie like this.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No Borg please, the mirror universe has not been shown in a movie yet, I'd say yes for a mirror mirror type plot.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      wanderer89wanderer89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      I find myself remembering that for Star Trek 2009 (a film I really enjoyed) Orci, Lindelof and Abrams went to great lengths to tell everyone that this "Isn't a reboot" to the point where in an interview on trekmovie.com Orci stated that having "an alternate timeline allows us to create new ideas. Theres no point in redoing old ideas when we have this great sandbox to play in"

Then they remade Wrath of Khan. Then JJ appeared on Conan and referred to the "rebooted Star Trek franchise"

Plus Orci has suggested for years he'd like to do the borg. So I fully expect Trek 3 to have the Klingons and the Borg. Praxis has already blown up so frak it, go whole hog. The reason Changs ship can fire when cloaked is it has modified Borg tech the Klingons salvaged from the Narada.

... As much as I love Star Trek '09, I left the cinema after Into Darkness full of nothing but anger directed at JJ Abrams. The Star Wars fanboys will feel the same when they see Vader as the villain again. Now, I'm just ambivalent toward the whole thing. I've got the TOS movies, the series and STO to keep me happy. I'm not going to rush to the cinema to see Trek 3 however
      THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS TRYULIS
      Vice Admiral Dir Sonatra, I.R.W. Kholairlha, Scimitar Class Warbird
      Vice Admiral Oshin S'ree, USS Steamrunner, Steamrunner Class

TEN FORWARD FLEET