test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Custom people ingame

terryanders25terryanders25 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I think it would be great to be able to use complete custom people in game. I would SO use Astroboy for my character. It would be pretty easy to do that too, and I would pay MONEY for that option.

Who else would like that?
Admiral Terry Anders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by terryanders25 on

Comments

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    no thanks. There's enough immersion breaking stupidity with people running around as luke skywalker, or the time I saw three romulans named Link, or all the star gate people.

This is Star Trek. If you want to play astroboy, please go find a manga-based MMO.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    no thanks. There's enough immersion breaking stupidity with people running around as luke skywalker, or the time I saw three romulans named Link, or all the star gate people.

This is Star Trek. If you want to play astroboy, please go find a manga-based MMO.

yeah what he said. 100%
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• terryanders25terryanders25 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jeez. so rude.
    Admiral Terry Anders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lore and immersion reasons aside, it's also an issue with IP rights and licensing. In order to use Astroboy they would have to go and negotiate and pay a licensing fee for the rights to use him in game. You can't just add in characters that you don't have the rights to, otherwise you open yourself up to massive lawsuits and the like. Negotiating licenses can also be very lengthy and extremely expensive. It just isn't worth it in many cases.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • danielpenfolddanielpenfold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Lore and immersion reasons aside, it's also an issue with IP rights and licensing. In order to use Astroboy they would have to go and negotiate and pay a licensing fee for the rights to use him in game. You can't just add in characters that you don't have the rights to, otherwise you open yourself up to massive lawsuits and the like. Negotiating licenses can also be very lengthy and extremely expensive. It just isn't worth it in many cases.

Yes that is true i have to agree with you on that one :P
    I'm so happy :D
  • thejosephinethejosephine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just be creative with the alien creator.

I get me a duck dodgers wannabe...
    edited June 2013
    The company that made astroboy is bankrupt. They no longer hold the rights to Astroboy so anyone can use him.
    Admiral Terry Anders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Just be creative with the alien creator.

I get me a duck dodgers wannabe...

Trust me, I tried alian creator. there is NO way to make astroboy in STO as of this time.
    Admiral Terry Anders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jeez. so rude.

there was nothing rude about it. he stated a fact, one supported by common sense. to say nothing of the legal issues behind it. this is a star trek game. calling others stupid when you're the one who wants to run around looking like astroboy in a star trek game is getting things a little backwards
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've seen some amazing avatars just using whats in the game right now, everything from spiderman, the hulk the flash and a whole lot more.

I don't think there needs to be much more customization for avatars but I would certainly like more for ships.
    edited June 2013
    The company that made astroboy is bankrupt. They no longer hold the rights to Astroboy so anyone can use him.

So I did a quick search about this for ya and it seems that this isn't quite the case.

The original company that owned Astroboy was called Mushi Productions which was started by Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astroboy. Mushi Productions did indeed go bankrupt in 1973. However it looks like Osamu Tezuka stepped down from that company before it went bankrupt and founded another company called Tezuka Productions. That company is still around and is operated by his son, Macoto Tezuka.

In 1997 Sony pictures had to license the rights to Astroboy from Tezuka Productions in order to make their own Astroboy film which did not release until 2009. Tezuka Productions last project was run on June 28, 2012. So since it appears that they are still alive and well coupled with the fact that Sony had to negotiate rights usage with them, I would say that they do indeed hold the rights to Astroboy and that anyone wanting to use him would have to negotiate a license with Tezuka Productions.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    there was nothing rude about it. he stated a fact, one supported by common sense. to say nothing of the legal issues behind it. this is a star trek game. calling others stupid when you're the one who wants to run around looking like astroboy in a star trek game is getting things a little backwards

He didn't call anyone stupid.

I see nothing wrong with creating homages to favourite characters from other shows. All those I've created aren't exact likenesses anyway (and the character creator can't do certain likenesses anyway) so break no rules on copyright.

And anyway, it could be done without even realising it at first. One of my previously created characters had the look of a young Jennifer Saunders (from Absolutely Fabulous), that certainly wasn't intentional and wasn't even noticed until recently.
  • rainbowarcanarainbowarcana Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this is a star trek game. calling others stupid when you're the one who wants to run around looking like astroboy in a star trek game is getting things a little backwards

QFT. If you want to play Astroboy, Champions Online is over there. The other three players will be happy to see you.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    no. ugh i remember seeing so many Super hero rip-opffs in city of heros (which by the way were destroyed by GM's rather quickly) so its likely the same would happen to any other major IP Characters were created in game and seen by Dev's/gms.
    edited June 2013
    I bet I can't make a person look like Astroboy on champions online ether, whatever champions online is...
    Admiral Terry Anders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Champions Online is Cryptic's other, other MMO. It's superhero based, but you wouldn't be able to make Astroboy there either. They have a policy in place that you cannot make any existing characters. If you do, they will forcibly change your character's name and appearance. You see back when Cryptic made their first superhero MMO, City of Heroes, Marvel actually filed a lawsuit against them for "alleging that the game not only allowed, but actively promoted, the creation of characters who infringe copyrights and trademarks owned by Marvel."

Although the lawsuit was eventually settled, Cryptic has been very wary of allowing real characters into their games since then. So unfortunately, you would not be able to make Astroboy there. They will allow you to make an homage or parody character, but not the actual character himself.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Of course you see nothing wrong with it. If a lawsuit gets filed they'll go after Cryptic not you.

Maybe I should make my position a tad clearer.

I see no problem in creating homages to characters from other franchises as long as they aren't EXACT likenesses or names, that way no copyrights will be infringed or rules broken, everyone's happy
  • trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2013

^^This, 100%
    edited June 2013
    Well this is just a TRIBBLE off...
    Admiral Terry Anders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ravenechosevenravenechoseven Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow, really folks?

We have loads of odd looking, non Star Trek characters running around. Names that make no sense, proportions that make no sense, and you want to bash someone who wants to make a character that looks like something from another franchise. Who really cares?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I could care less what anyone else makes their character look like. Oh, I get irked by the ridiculously tall or short characters that necessitate the out of proportion environments, but outside of that I don't care if someone makes an Avatar look a like or red WoW Dranei for their Klingon character (yeah, that's right, I did that). I'm a Star Trek fan, been one since I can remember as a kid, and I don't care what anyone else looks like on the game, just me. Lighten up.

That said, what are the problems you are having with making the character. Keep in mind, regardless what anyone else says, so long as YOU create the character and Cryptic doesn't include parts that are specifically designed to break copyright laws, no law is broken and no harm done. The only trouble you might have is trying to get specific parts, but if you can convince them a part is generally usable beyond to create a character, they might do it.
    Trekking online since January 2010!

7th Joint Task Force
    Third Reserve Flotilla
    House of Sigma
  • bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I've seen some amazing avatars just using whats in the game right now, everything from spiderman, the hulk the flash and a whole lot more.

I don't think there needs to be much more customization for avatars but I would certainly like more for ships.

Same here, iv seen a handful of some really great toons. Iv seen Spiderman, Batman, Bane for the new batman movie, iv even seen an umpa lumpa from willy wonka and the chocolate factory, and also Neytiri from Avator.

STO's character creator is massive you can problly create astroboy and anyother cartoon character, you would just need the time and patience to do so.

For me...It took about an hour to create the alien engineer from the movie Prometheus.
    It can and will be done:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Trust me, I tried alian creator. there is NO way to make astroboy in STO as of this time.
    I've seen the Heath Ledger Joker (complete with purple suit and red lipstick), and I have Homer Simpson on my friend list. Just keep trying.
  • emeraldagenda12emeraldagenda12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well this is just a TRIBBLE off...

Hey kid, I would like to apologize for the rest of these ladies and gents.

While they may be stating "facts" or "opinions", these fanboys go a little nuts sometimes, try not to be to rough on them, most of them have probably burned out a few seasons ago.

Good luck to you in game,

If you would like any help trying to build any characters, go ahead and add me in-game and I'll see if I can figure something out for ya, free of charge.

Fox@originalbrands.

^
    (make sure you add the . after originalbrands)

As for the rest of you, give the kid a break. I'd rather read about THIS than more whining about the same old, same old...
    edited June 2013

While they may be stating "facts" or "opinions", these fanboys go a little nuts sometimes, try not to be to rough on them, most of them have probably burned out a few seasons ago.

If you would like any help trying to build any characters, go ahead and add me in-game and I'll see if I can figure something out for ya, free of charge.

Fox@originalbrands.

^

As for the rest of you, give the kid a break. I'd rather read about THIS than more whining about the same old, same old...

I'd like you to note that I actually support creation of homage avatars, so don't lump me in with the detractors
  • ravenechosevenravenechoseven Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cryptic cares, as do the people that don't want to see hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted on a lawsuit that could be better spent on developing new content for the game, because even if Cryptic wins or settles out of court like they did with Marvel that money is gone paying for court costs.

Keeping in mind of course that such a lawsuit would unlikely ever get filed or pursed in court unless Cryptic either:

A. Was contacted about the violation and failed to respond and remove the said violation within an acceptable period of time.

or

B. Created creator parts SPECIFICALLY to allow a player to create a copyrighted likeness. (It should be noted that unless some sort of clear documentation or unmistakable likeness existed this would be hard to prove).

It is not as if someone created a Hulk-like character, called it Hulk, and a Marvel employee jumped on STO and saw it, that Marvel could drop a lawsuit on Cryptic the next day.

Live and let create, I say.
    Trekking online since January 2010!

7th Joint Task Force
    Third Reserve Flotilla
    House of Sigma
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I can't beleive this is a serious thread. Astroboy in STO ? I mean really ?
    Believe it or not, most player will play STO for Star trek, not for astroboy. I know it's a little hard to understand, and they are probably fanboy to be so ridiculous, but you'll have to live with it.

I don't mind an easter egg, an hommage or whatever, but once you start doing anything and everything because it's cool, adding battlestar as starship, Aliens machine guns, gandalf as quest giver and astroboy as a playable character, it's not Star Trek online anymore, it's "some random game from various ip".

Nah, can't be serious. I hope it's not anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Give the guy a break will you guys?

I admit I wouldn't want to see such things either, but hell, it's not like an Astroboy lookalike is worse then all the alien chars we currently have running around.

As for OP, you'll NEVER get any kind of options to exactly recreate Astroboy, simply because as has been stated by many people already, they have to deal with licencing and copyrights.

Not to mention a character like Astroboy has no place here, I think you'd sooner see something like a Normandy SR-2 from Mass Effect then that, though off course that too won't ever happen.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Fox@originalbrands.

^

I'd like to point out that we are saying that a likeness/an homage can be done with the parts already available in the game. The OP is the one insisting that it isn't, and that pre-made parts should be made available.