test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introducing Arc

Comments

• trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gilinea wrote: »
    As long as it's optional... whatever. If it becomes non-optional, like PWE account merging did, then there's a good chance I'll just walk away from this game. It offers absolutely nothing I'm interested in, and takes up extra space to do it. I've looked at the library of non-Cryptic games from PWE. There is zero chance I will *ever* play any of them.

I did try Perfect World International once. Made one character, spent five minutes in the newbie area fighting with pretty much every single part of the UI, and watching zone chat in revulsion. Logged out, uninstalled, never looked back.

I did the exact same thing. There is nothing I find interesting in any of their other games.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • kszasokszaso Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bah, i still cant get the thing to admit that i even have an internet connection on this computer
  • himble42himble42 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No, thank you.
    Himble_zps0106667a.jpg
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just sounds like more PWE overlord control over my PC!

No thank you!

Besides they probably developed it using DirectX dlls from 2009 (aka DirectX 11 -beta) and also a 32-bit ancient OS.

There are way too many other issues with STO and the other PWE games and Networking systems to waste time and money on this spyware/bloatware!
  • xcaliber8xcaliber8 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm fine with Steam and it's services, thank you
  • bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    IDK, you tell me... does it take much longer to download 25 different launchers, or does it take longer to JUST download ARC?

does it take more time to switch bettween 25 game launchers, and the web account page, or does it take longer to switch between them in ARc?

there is NO winning this

1 of these is true

1) Arc makes access easier
    or
    2) ARC is a waste of time/HD space
    _______

ether answer = ARC should not be implemented.

ARC still requires the games to be installed.. despite your apparent misconceptions, it is not some magic 'insta-access' to everything without installing anything.

You also left off other options

3) ARC provides a centralized location for news/updates/community access to PWE games
    4) ARC provides an easy way to access game forums, from inside the game - without having to alt-tab or minimize the client
    5) Like the steam overlay, the 'in game' functionality of the ARC could (depending on user) make it easier to stay in touch with friends who play other PWE games.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's usefulness is extremely limited by the fact that unlike the Steam interface it is only for PWE games. This may be attractive to some people but as can be seen by the majority of responses it is not attractive to most others.
    I don't need some special application to organize and access the 2 PWE games I have on my computer, I don't need their news and promos and I already have well established means of keeping in touch with my friends, this is a tool I don't need.
    The only issue that I for one care about is whether or not PWE is going to be stupid enough to eventually try to force this on the users, if it remains optional then fine, but Bran's noncommittal response on the issue does not fill me with enthusiasm. I can't fault him for that, he is as powerless as we are where this is concerned, but at the very least he can forward the idea that making this mandatory to access PWE games will not be received kindly by the community.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ARC still requires the games to be installed.. despite your apparent misconceptions, it is not some magic 'insta-access' to everything without installing anything.

You also left off other options

3) ARC provides a centralized location for news/updates/community access to PWE games
    4) ARC provides an easy way to access game forums, from inside the game - without having to alt-tab or minimize the client
    5) Like the steam overlay, the 'in game' functionality of the ARC could (depending on user) make it easier to stay in touch with friends who play other PWE games.

1 of these is true

1) Arc makes access easier (and therefore easier to access)
    or
    2) ARC is a waste of time/HD space
    _______

ether answer = ARC should not be implemented.

bla bla bla... auto forum mod states message to small, bla bla bla... (BTW, you would think the things above "bla bla bla, would have been enough text)
  • bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bla bla bla... auto forum mod states message to small, bla bla bla... (BTW, you would think the things above "bla bla bla, would have been enough text)

So, you obviously no longer want to try and discuss your original issue, which was the perceived lack of security of ARC.. you've now gone to "I don't like it, so it shouldn't exist"... which means we've got nothing left to discuss about ARC.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Either someone goofed or it's already started, you used to be able to reach the C-store from a link on the main page, that link is now gone.
    I will not be forced to use this tool, when the time comes that we are given no choice, I will choose to leave.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Either someone goofed or it's already started, you used to be able to reach the C-store from a link on the main page, that link is now gone.
    I will not be forced to use this tool, when the time comes that we are given no choice, I will choose to leave.

Branflakes has a thread about the pulling of the C-Store's Web Portal here. At the moment, it doesn't seem related to this ARC BS. At times, all I used it for was out-of-game references anyway. Guess I'll be using the Wiki a little more often.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • nikkipadennikkipaden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you only play one PWE game then you dont need it. If you play tons of PWE games, Arc makes it easier to switch games.

Rather than complaining that Arc will cause you to get TRIBBLE change your passwords, or dont use it!!!

Rather than wasting time complaining about a feature that is here to stay, avoid this thread if you don't like Arc.

If Arc becomes mandatory and you don't like that *points in direction* there's the door. Thank you for your time. The fact is I am not gonna let this software affect my games, and neither should you, if I have to use it then I will. But until that time, it isn't worth the effort to whine and complain. PWE will do what PWE wants, and when they implement it expecting to boost their bottom line and it actually shrinks we all get to laugh at them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    {UFP} Diplomatic Corps Foreign Officer, Romulan Imperial Guard Officer
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay, I don't follow the logic there.

We don't want Arc, but we want to keep playing STO or CO.

But if Arc is made mandatory and we don't want it, what are our choices?

1. Download it and keep playing the games.
    2. Stop playing the games because something we don't want is forced on us.

But I don't really believe PWE can get away with with making Arc mandatory, the backlash from this would probably push them over the edge they're currently standing on.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • cloudwashercloudwasher Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think I'll stick with steam, no thanks pwe.
  • kitsune424kitsune424 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use ARC and I only have STO installed, due to time constraints, but it is worth the download for the in-game browser
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • csbastiancsbastian Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Started the program for the first time

"Arc has encountered problems updating"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, program has now been uninstalled.

Please try again guys.
  • kszasokszaso Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    csbastian wrote: »
    Started the program for the first time

"Arc has encountered problems updating"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, program has now been uninstalled.

Please try again guys.

i had that issue to, but decided i was due for a reformat anyways and it went away
    edited June 2013
    I had that issue with another program (not a gaming one) that said, if you want to install the program, you have to completely reformat your hard drive to a new partitioning system!

My response (after cursing the ineptitude of the technical support client who didn't know this solution) was stuff that, I just got my hard drive/OS configured the way I like it, I'm not reformatting and reinstalling the entire OS just for one program!

If you need to reformat your hard drive to install a program, it's a bad program!

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, I installed Arc, just to see how convenient it would be for me...

I can see the forums, the c-store, etc, just fine... BUT

when I try to launch the game through Arc, the client patches, then promptly crashes to desktop.

So, I can't play the game through Arc.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I Installed Arc and when I run it nothing happens. Is it not compatible with Windows 8 64 bit?
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So far, the only advantage I've seen to Arc is not having to type my password into STO, CO, or Neverwinter.

I'm also running Raptr. Even though Raptr and Arc are using different keyboard shortcuts, I can't seem to access Raptr if I launch STO from Arc. :(
  • atseearratseearr Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would love Arc to show me which games are down for maintenance. Just a quick green or red light, saves me loading the launchers for all the Cryptic games to see which one is back up on a Thursday evening (UK) :)
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So slight bumpage, but I have a question. I know that it's been said that there were no plans to make Arc required for STO play, but I noticed that Arc is now required over on the CO side in order to play the game. Have things since changed?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Who told you that?

I am logged into CO right now and I didn't get any messages about Arc.
    Nor was I prevented from logging into my account or loading my character.

For the record, I use the Steam client to access both STO and CO.
    I have not and do not intend to use Arc at all.

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One of my buddies came back to the game and said that he couldn't reinstall the game without downloading Arc. Also if you go to the main CO page they have replaced the standard Download button with a link to Arc. It forces you to download Arc and then install CO through it. So new or returning players have to use it.

Edit: Here we go.
    To play Champions Online you must first download the powerful Perfect World Entertainment gaming platform Arc. Your Champions Online download will initiate once the Arc installation is complete.

http://co.perfectworld.com/download

I too have the old CO client and I can log in through that just fine. It looks like this is now required for anyone who wants to install the game from this point on.

Edit 2: Just tried using the install button on that page. It starts the download for Arc and not the CO installer. So yeah it looks like this is now mandatory over on that side of the Crypticverse.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • datalives#1627 datalives Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I Installed Arc and when I run it nothing happens. Is it not compatible with Windows 8 64 bit?

Works fine for me under w8 64bit...

For those who use more than one game ... change options in launcher of STO/Neverwinter to quicklaunch ... then you can use arc to login and then load up without the need to click on play button.
    A selection of my STO windows background ScreenShots
    http://www.risk-gaming.com/content.php B)
    @Datalives
    United Federation 55th
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hfmudd wrote: »
    So how long until this becomes mandatory/the only way to launch STO?

With honesty, This crossed my mind too. Is that negative?

Unless this helps with the launcher issues, I can't say that this would appeal to me personally.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited July 2013
    Wow, that's less then subtle.

It looks like the only way to avoid Arc if you are a CO player is to have the existing client or use the Steam Client, which naturally, doesn't require Arc.

Really Cryptic, it's not smart to manditorily push your Steam clone on new CO players.
    Or new STO players for that matter.

You should have offered the old client as an option for those who don't wish to use Arc.

My inner cynic says this isn't about STO or CO, it's Perfect World trying to get you to notice their other games by making them readily available.

You know, if it's there, someone might be tempted to try it out of curiosity.

Me personally, when PWE took over, I looked at their games to see if they had anything worthwhile and no, they didn't.

• mav75mav75 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have no need for Arc.

I have looked at what Perfect World has to offer and see nothing that would interest me.
    I am considering deleting both CO and NW from my computers.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can't wrap my head around this. It's so obviously a bone-headed move, it has to be a joke! Right? Please tell me this is a joke...