test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to the game

idalandidaland Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Academy
Dear ladies and gents,

I started playing STO a week ago and I am having a blast. I even took a subscription as I reckon a good game deserves to be supported.
I am only level 9 at the moment and am playing a human engineer. At level 11 I get a new free ship and I decided to go for a cruiser; kinda love to be sturdy. I checked some builds on the forums but these seem to be more of endgame oriented. I was wondering if anyone has a nice level 11 cruiser build which he could share.
My second question concerns the foundry missions; I found this mission where you have to kill 30 ish Klingon vessels and this mission drops quite a bit of loot which I could use to enhance my startership. If I do this mission later on will the loot scale with my level as well?
Thanks upfront and have a great day/evening.

Cheers,

Grao
Post edited by idaland on

Comments

• branericbraneric Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The thing to keep in mind is that cruisers turn like a tractor trailer without power steering. Thus the general consensus (and it's a good one) is to load up your ship with nothing but beam arrays and choose consoles and bridge officer skills to match. By doing so you'll always have at least two weapons firing on your target and if you manage to "broadside" your target you'll be able to use all of your weapons. Also don't worry about getting the best equipment, the stuff you get just by doing your feature episode missions will be just fine.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    idaland wrote: »
    My second question concerns the foundry missions; I found this mission where you have to kill 30 ish Klingon vessels and this mission drops quite a bit of loot which I could use to enhance my startership. If I do this mission later on will the loot scale with my level as well?

Yes, it will.
  • natewest1natewest1 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    has anyone tried just loading up on turrets? take advantage if rapid fire and scatter volley. Just an idea I've been toying with. Might try it someday, not going to be an amazing pvp ship, but might be fun.
  • insanesenatorinsanesenator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think this is the cruiser you have, the Lt-level:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=basiccruiser2_0

Explanation:

For the Bridge Officers; the tactical team will redirect your shield facings to which ones are taking damage, plus a damage boost, so good survivability and offensive ability. Will work with beams, cannons, torpedoes, etc... lots of players ALWAYS have at least 1 Tactical Team.

Engineer and Science slots are for healing, shield and hull, respectively.

For the equipment, I left it all at Mk I since you just need to get the best quality you can afford or get to drop for you.

Positron deflector is good because they are defensively focused, combat impulse will give you bonuses for having low engine power, so you can put more into shields or weapons. The "resilient" is a good prefix for a shield, combined with [cap] or [reg] (capacity and regeneration) that will give you a good well-rounded shield.
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    natewest1 wrote: »
    has anyone tried just loading up on turrets? take advantage if rapid fire and scatter volley. Just an idea I've been toying with. Might try it someday, not going to be an amazing pvp ship, but might be fun.

This is certainly fun. It's like throwing spitballs at your target. You won't have maximum DPS but you can tear down shield pretty well. You may want a torp or two in addition to the turrets.

Get some Common turrets from the Exchange and give it a try.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    idaland wrote: »
    Dear ladies and gents,

I started playing STO a week ago and I am having a blast. I even took a subscription as I reckon a good game deserves to be supported.
    I am only level 9 at the moment and am playing a human engineer. At level 11 I get a new free ship and I decided to go for a cruiser; kinda love to be sturdy. I checked some builds on the forums but these seem to be more of endgame oriented. I was wondering if anyone has a nice level 11 cruiser build which he could share.
    Thanks upfront and have a great day/evening.

Cheers,

Grao

In general get all the same energy-type for the weapons and get tactical consoles for that specific energy type.

For power levels, set your weapons to 100 and shield power be at 50. Unless you have a tough target that is getting though your shields, then set Shields to 100 and weapons to 50.

Besides that you'll wan to learn about Player Skills on STOWiki.org. STOWiki.org is the unofficial general reference for Star Trek Online. Also look at http://hilbertguide.com/ for general guide.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
    edited June 2013
    sirokk wrote: »
    This is certainly fun. It's like throwing spitballs at your target. You won't have maximum DPS but you can tear down shield pretty well. You may want a torp or two in addition to the turrets.

Get some Common turrets from the Exchange and give it a try.

yup, just did that. Tried it out against some gorn and really did take down their shields with a quickness. I was pretty fun and made me actually like using my cruiser again. I added a torp launcher in the front and a mine launcher in the back for good measure.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Exact load-out varies, but my typical cruiser build is thus;

Engines - anything that boosts [Turn]
    Engineering Consoles - You can use consoles that decrease damage from certain weapons, but I prefer going with RCS Accelerators (also boosts turn rate)
    Science Consoles - anything that boosts shield strength and regeneration - Cruisers turn slow, so it's harder to bring a new facing around towards your opponents.
    Forward weapons - At least one beam array and a torpedo launcher, the other slots usually get tetryon weapons.
    Aft weapons - a second beam array, another torpedo launcher and a mine-layer if possible. (sometimes a turret or third beam array, depending on weapon slots)

The basic concept is to come in direct with the tetryon weapons, trying to bring down the shields. if you're successful, fire torpedos, if not, go to broadside and drop mines - with luck, the mines will do some damage, but they're often hit or miss. Come around and try again. It also helps to have an Engineering BOff with 'Eject Warp Plasma'; lay it behind you to clear out fighters and High-Yield Torpedos. Otherwise, as someone else already said, Engineering and Science BOffs should heal, while your Tactical BOffs have High-Yield Torp, Torp Spread (for fighters and Frigate squadrons), Beam Fire At Will or Cannon Volley (same as Torp Spread)... Beam Overload is optional, it can be useful, but leaves you without weapons for a few seconds.

For KDF/Rom ships, add coming in cloaked and setting up a Beam Overload or High-Yield Torp before dropping the cloak as part of your inital attack run.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It's doable with some provisos. Turrets are cannons. Cannon damage drops off more steeply with distance than beam weapons do. With cannon/turrets you need to get to 4km of less of you target to deal with decent damage. The sweet spot for beam weapons is 6km or less. And It's not always a good idea getting <5km from certain enemy ships: NPC or Player. Some of them have nasty AoE abilities which can drain ships, do damage, stun, hold, or some combination of the preceding.

The other thing is that the best Tactical Bridge Station you can get on a Cruiser is a Lt Comander. That limits you to one Cannon Skill of II and I. And cuts into Beam or Torpedo III skils.
  • themarcellosthemarcellos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sorry to hijack the thread but even though I have a 8/11/12 join date the forums are telling me that:

"Hello Captain!

At this time, you may only post replies to threads that have already been created. After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads in forums that allow it.

Thanks,

The Star Trek Online Community Team"

Now, I'm having a game ending issue. My friend is a Lt. CDR I'm a LT. When I joined his group it asked me if I wanted to match his level, I accepted. We flew to the Ker'ret System in the Donatu Sector and attempted to do the Space War Zone mission. The issue is that it puts him in Instance #1 and me in Instance #7. When either of us attempt to change instances it gives the error message "NoPossibleMaps", which is false because I'm looking at his screen.

How do you join a mission with a teammate? Is this game designed for friends to play together, or does it just randomly put you with people?
  • noooooooooo14noooooooooo14 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, if you are in a party, it used to put you in the same zone, but I"m not so sure anymore. If that doesn't work, I'd try just leveling up.
    edited July 2013
    did a turret-boat with a Sovereign...it was fun and can deal with small ship quickly and easily, just rush in and stop and do rapid fire and watch the little ships explode. I got consoles to boost cannon damage, shields and armor. It was great fun for a while, but really doesn't do much to bigger ships, so alas, it is once again a beam-boat. I still have the turrets in case I feel like doing a turret-boat again.
  • originpioriginpi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

You're probably looking at endgame again, because you can't get scatter volley or rapid fire on a cruiser till like T4.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Redundant post.

Removed by user.
    edited July 2013
    yup, it turned out to be a bust. It was fun at first, just rolling into a group of Orion corvettes and sitting, also killing fighters left and right, but anything bigger is problematic. Turned it back into a beam-boat and now I have to change some skills and consoles back around, might just keep the turrets and consoles, never know when I might change my mind.