test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion to CRYPTIC-- Own up and come clean.

vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
My suggestion which I believe that will ease a lot of the Bug rage is for the Admins/Devs/Brandon ect to create a sticky post and come clean about all the bugs they are aware of and some timetable to when a resolution can be expected. If no timetable is known at the time, just be honest and say "hey we are working xyz bug and we are investigating the cause and at this moment we do not have a timetable for resolution."

I believe the vast majority of players that come to the forums are intelligent and patient people but after several days of maintenance with no fixes or even acknowledgement by the STO team that many of them exist is quite frustrating.

Please just communicate with your player base. Even those like myself that have patience by the truckload is starting to lose it. I don't expect everything to be fixed overnight, I just want to know what it is going on.
Admiral%20sig%202.png
Post edited by vamank on

Comments

• shaltorshaltor Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vamank wrote: »
    My suggestion which I believe that will ease a lot of the Bug rage is for the Admins/Devs/Brandon ect to create a sticky post and come clean about all the bugs they are aware of and some timetable to when a resolution can be expected. If no timetable is known at the time, just be honest and say "hey we are working xyz bug and we are investigating the cause and at this moment we do not have a timetable for resolution."

I believe the vast majority of players that come to the forums are intelligent and patient people but after several days of maintenance with no fixes or even acknowledgement by the STO team that many of them exist is quite frustrating.

Please just communicate with your player base. Even those like myself that have patience by the truckload is starting to lose it. I don't expect everything to be fixed overnight, I just want to know what it is going on.

Agree. Silence is not always Golden. Sometimes all people need is a whisper of acknowledgement.
  • cedricophoffcedricophoff Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In the past when ive seen bug rages i barely saw those bugs. But ive ran into quite a lot of them so far. On my new rommie, from warping out colors changing from red to green and the other way around. To being unable to turn in certain romulan common Doffs (that are not locked) with the mission wich allows you to get 1 of a higher rank. A lot of texts that are still not matched to romulans (i picked KDF on my rommie). The beamout/beamin colors of KDF Boffs on my roster is red. Wich is also quite annoying as a Rommie. To name only a few. Although granted it can be debated as to if they are bugs and not .... er .. i wouldnt say working as intended but "fixed in the future" stuff.

Would be nice if we could dismiss Tovan, if the reman from the vault would have a romulan icon next to him instead of KDF. If the free ship tokens also worked on the ships of the chosen faction (because otherwise your rly limited in choices at lower lvls). If Crafting could be updated with new stuff like warp cores and singularity cores. If Romulans could craft Plasma weapons like KDF can craft disruptor and Feds can craft Phaser stuff. If romulans could get more bridge packs, or alternatively, if one has chosen KDF for example they would be able to access a more Romulan tinted version of previously bought KDF bridge packs. Etc
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The bugs are becoming very frustrating. It would be nice if they would just say hey we know about xyz bug and we are working on it.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • atticusmasatticusmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Exactly, just TELL US SOMETHING.

ANYTHING

We are actually here you know
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree that this needs to happen, but it won't... Ever.

There are just too many things broken right now and there's no way that Cryptic would fess up to any or all of them because they don't want to look bad and they don't want to deal with the back lash. An Example is the [BORG] Proc, at one point a certain awesome dev probably got in a lot of trouble for mentioning on the forums that it never really worked. Well it did, but no where near as much as it should have. Then came the outcry for compensation or refunds because people were grinding to get them as they were the top DPS at the time. Nothing ever really came of it, as far as i know he never responded back to the thread and to be honest i think it's still just as broken.

there are a lot of other things i'm noticing in game doing the same thing: -threat consoles not working a lot or infact doing +threat, Enhanced hull regen not doing anything to regen the hull, weapons not procing how they're supposed too. It's ridiculous with just how much of the game was broken BEFORE LoR hit, and even more so after.

Cryptic NEEDS to own up on this stuff. No more lies, no covering it up or pretending it didn't happen, don't blame employees that aren't working there any more. Just an honest list of what's not working and what's being worked on. Don't be like Champions, that game is a mess right now as is its Dev side feedback, STO is already going down that slope and it needs to be stopped now.

Please do what's right by the fans and paying customers and post this list before some one goes and does it themselves on the forums or the Wiki again.
  • neridiumneridium Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In the time I've been playing STO (on and off since Open Beta) I've noticed that usually comms between Cryptic and the player's have been pretty good imo.

LoR is a big step forward for STO, and it looks great now imo a more complete game, so big well done to the Dev team and everyone involved. Its so different from the game when i first started playing that its effectively a different game.

I understand that it might take a while for someone to collate all the information but please guys, post a list of bugs and the expected date that these will be squished and ready for QA etc. From what I've seen no one expects a solid date, but it would be nice to be told hey, we know about this bug, its being dealt with. Hey even colour code them if there's time. Red for Critical, Yellow for High and Green for Low. It would at least be more info than, yeah we know there's bugs its being worked on.

As a player it would make my life a lot easier to know if a function in game is having issues, then I'd avoid it and do something else rather than spend X amount of time trying to get it to work only to find out its buggy.
  • llunaukllunauk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pretty sure the Dev said they were aware of all the bugs and the entire team was working on them and in the next patch most the bugs would be addressed.

I don't see why they need to write out a list of what they are working on, we know all the bugs and they know all the bugs... Seriously? pointless exercise and a complete waste of their time. Specially when they are.... fixing bugs!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Unfortunately Cryptic has very little to gain from such transparency. Any admission will be jumped on by those who like to grind axes, and PW has little to gain in terms of PR by saying "oh our game is bug ridden and we are teh sux".

Assuming they did issue a statement, what good would it do? "We just recoded the entire UI and we think we broke mail but we're not sure where it's broken and have no idea how long it will take to fix? We know that there's a ton of issues with some Rom missions and the Foundry but the updates broke a lot of tool functionality so it will be months before it's all sorted out? We rushed to hit our launch date so we've had to deploy multiple patches and retools just to keep things from crashing because , god forbid, if we had to push the launch back the forums would turn into pure nuclear fire?"

What do you really want them to say? And before you answer, please keep in mind -- the LoR team is probably worn out and the bugs that went live did so because some hard-TRIBBLE at PW demanded the launch go out on time.

In any event, it's one thing for the Devs to give a general statement that they are aware of bugs and even to put out something like saying "the highest priority bug is that of malfunctioning reach markers in the foundry". It's entirely another to put down some kind of timeline of what bugs will be fixed when , when they're probably still in the triage process. They may not know, and saying they don't know will just TRIBBLE people off. Furthermore, I strongly doubt the QA people want to have to waste time updating and keeping track of such a document or promises made when they're already under the whip to try to fix code.

People are getting too worked up over this. Or maybe that's just me. I have a different perspective on this entire mess, having been here since launch. Being a lifetime player means that I can afford to just wander off and play another MMO for a bit. Fixating on all the issues will not resolve much of anything but will lower people's tolerances.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Something many games do to keep the rage down, is maintain a sticky thread of "known issues" with links to most recent dev comments about them.

Makes it helpful for the devs, contains some of the nerdrage, and generally makes it a more positive exchange for the players and devs both.

Plus, whenever someone mentions a particularly dead horse, you get to point them at a sticky about it instead of saying "hey we don't have one of those threads in the top 3 pages, I guess it was time for a new one".
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Every serious bug, Brandon makes a post. Stuff like warp colors not being right are minor bugs and are not worth the response. I am sure this week or soon we'll see a huge patch of first round fixes drop on Tribble that will make it's way to Holodeck.

They've been in crisis mode trying to keep the servers alive which is why we don't have bug fixes right now. This TRIBBLE is obvious people!
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited June 2013
    I liked it when the forum mods were keeping a short, updated list of 'problems that we're aware of/problems that should be fixed by now' at the top of the page in yellow text. It wasn't a complete list, but it at least gave the impression of 'yes, we know there are bugs and glitches, and we are working on them. Here's a quick list of things we're focusing on'.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • reconalpha22reconalpha22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yea I am concerned at what appears to be a bug. For a few days now, after creating a new character, there have been no veteran rewards appearing for those characters. Usually there is the long listing on the left of the screen showing you all the veteran unlocks, but that has not happened.

Sorry to have posted this here. Unfortunately I am unable to post my own thread. :mad: If this is a bug I think they should know about it, but I cannot post in the bug thread forum.:mad:
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think cryptic is running possibly with minimal staff atm. Reason for no bug fixes. They did what they could before and a little after LoR released. And now problably, who knows though, most of the crew is relaxing after all the hard work.

But... yes there is a but here..

They should of had all these bugs, since most were caught before LoR was sent to holodeck, and fixed. Its the same things they keep doing, and hasnt changed. They wait till the last minutes or week before launch, release all the content then people find this stuff, and by then its little too late to fix since your one day away from launch. After 3+ years now, you think they would catch onto this but they havent or wont *shrug*.

Hopefully will see a huge "from what Dstahl" has mentioned from the ask cryptic, that there is a big bug fix incoming soon. Hopefully soon is actually soon rather later soon hahah.

This is just my thoughts, not actual fact so take it as such.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Or they could all be busy on NW, relegating STO to Champs status.

I hope not.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've found another one, and it's not game breaking but it IS annoying.

On my Fed main I have selected specific officers to be my bridge crew (not the ones seated, but my department heads) however, EVERY time I log in since th elast patch the game changes my Dept heads.

And it's not random. It always swaps them for the same officers.

Here;s how I set it up.

First officer: Female ANdorian (One of the choices for the very first officer you can get)
    Engineer: Liberated Borg Engineer
    Operations: "Alien" Female Cardassian
    Sci: Aenir Female
    Med: Female Human
    Tac: Female Human
    Sec: Jem'Hadar (Because, who wouldn't want a Jem'Hadar as head of security?)

The game, it seems, doesn;t like that.

It sets my Aenir to First officer, Sci and Medical.

My Borg to Eng and Ops

and my Cross faction Gorn as Security and Tactical.

I know it's not a game play issue but it really bugs me that the officers I've had in place for MONTHS are getting shifted around.

It's my crew, it would be Like Picard walking onto the bridge and seeing two Worfs, Two Geordi's and three Beverlys (Did TNG have a dedicated Science officer?).

It's screwey.
  • threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited June 2013
    oh I have no doubt in cryptics eyes that full disclosure would be bad PR for them. all of the avid defenders would experience mass head explosions and dead people can't buy more zen to sell for dil. New players would be like... well this would be a waste of time to play. The "I told you so" threads would multiply like rabbits, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cryptic isn't very good about communication. They'll comment on stuff when they think it can put them in a good light, and times when it's necessary to avoid confusion, but I can't really recall any times they've admitted to being wrong.

I still remember when Season 7 launched and the boards erupted over the dilithium changes. They left them those changes out of the patch notes, and had previously stated it was a bug that they were still in on the test server. (After everyone on test had said it was a terrible idea) Stahl's response was basically to tell us that Cryptic wasn't wrong, but they'd give us back the dilithium because we were too busy talking about that instead of the new S7 stuff, and that it would be our own fault if we ruined the economy.

They don't talk about their mistakes, they just say "Thanks for your support". Look up above the thread for proof :rolleyes:
  • spektre12spektre12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes these bugs are killing me. The most recent one is 'Fist Full of Gorn'. Beam down to Nimbus III and then............................well nothing. No waypoint, no marker no hints, no nothing. This is the third mission I've had to pass up. And forget about directions. It wont even tell you what sector it's in. I was way up in Psi Velorum doing DSE's.

Just tell your aware and fixing these things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013

there is a bug patch coming in a few weeks, id suggest waiting to ask until after that.
  • abrahamjohnson83abrahamjohnson83 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just follow the articles, announcements and posts. There are actual infos and they communicate with us very frequently.

e.g.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=902711
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

"Cryptic isn't very good about communication"
    can not agree this! They announce fast and about every maintenance or patch coming up. Patch notes includes. Bugs are quickly absorbed and communicated about. This is a good deploy way and good communication.

What should be worn behind us as yet?!
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    there is a bug patch coming in a few weeks, id suggest waiting to ask until after that.

A few weeks? The way the bugs keep piling up, I dont think the server will hold up.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cryptic isn't very good about communication. They'll comment on stuff when they think it can put them in a good light, and times when it's necessary to avoid confusion, but I can't really recall any times they've admitted to being wrong.

I still remember when Season 7 launched and the boards erupted over the dilithium changes. They left them those changes out of the patch notes, and had previously stated it was a bug that they were still in on the test server. (After everyone on test had said it was a terrible idea) Stahl's response was basically to tell us that Cryptic wasn't wrong, but they'd give us back the dilithium because we were too busy talking about that instead of the new S7 stuff, and that it would be our own fault if we ruined the economy.

They don't talk about their mistakes, they just say "Thanks for your support". Look up above the thread for proof :rolleyes:

I know this all too well. I've been a Cryptic fans since COH, so I've learned this lesson a long time ago. Yes the Communications are terrible, if it doesn't put Cryptic in a positive status, they don't mention it, unless there is enough outcry. If something slips, it's quickly brushed under the carpet or denied. Case in point going F2P leaked and we were told No its not going F2P a week or so before they announced just that, Bort letting it slip that [BORG] Procs never really worked, all the promises made to the KDF since launch.... you know, little things like that.

Champions right now is an out right mess and Cryptic rarely ever says or does anything there other than make things worse, so they take the silent route instead. In my opinion, if they're accepting money, they should be held liable for that product in terms on maintenance, development, and communications. Cryptic lies, tells false truths, purposely overhypes or misinterprets, and will censor people for voicing certain opinions. That's not an acceptable business practice, and they should be held accountable as such. They even have an F rating with the BBB for it.
  • platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If PWE had an aneurysm and did what you said, every timetable would be "Soon" and people would be even more angry.
  • pietrala69pietrala69 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    so i suppose little bugs like all the terrain missing, getting stuck in walls and having to basically guess how to finish a mission is normal for a low level kdf mission? Its not even the same for either side. I've found way more broken kdf missions then fed missions. Couple that with a crippled fleet action que on the kdf side(hint take a look at the different fleet actions available at each rank) we're not just dealing with bugs but bias as well. I'm trying to enjoy a KDF character but its like trying to succeed at a borg ground mission with only a hypospray.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, they just fixed a bunch of issues on Tribble, and introduced the new fleet holding for testing. I expect those fixes will be due out soon.
  • wolf3130wolf3130 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Something many games do to keep the rage down, is maintain a sticky thread of "known issues" with links to most recent dev comments about them.

Makes it helpful for the devs, contains some of the nerdrage, and generally makes it a more positive exchange for the players and devs both.

Plus, whenever someone mentions a particularly dead horse, you get to point them at a sticky about it instead of saying "hey we don't have one of those threads in the top 3 pages, I guess it was time for a new one".

i was a gm for a while on a privet server and we did the same thing we kept a list of bugs on the forum and even color coded them acording to priority but even with the info for the players they always find some thing to rage about although i will agree lor was launched premature it should have been tested another 6 months at least it also doesn't help with pwe running so many games on there 1 server even ccp runs and bunch of servers for 2 games with a supercomputer and daily maint helps as well
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like 1 of my bugs,,,,,,,,its the 1 that lets me run through doors,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @HyperLimited
    "Cryptic, people still can't connect and play STO because of cogentco ISP issues. WE CAN'T GIVE YOU MONEY IF WE CAN'T EVEN PLAY."

The only way to get them to sort it out is no 1 pay for anything,,,,,,,but not much chance of that.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd have a bit more respect for them if they did this. At least then the rest of us would also know what they are, and what they aren't aware of. So long as the thread is locked and stuck, I foresee no problem. What you don't want is an open thread with everyone commenting on their suggestions. :rolleyes:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222