test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introducing Arc

Comments

• moshpet02moshpet02 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does Valve know you are stealing their client interface?
    It looks so much like Valve's Steam Interface, I'd expect them to be demanding a cut.

Also, I'll stick with Valve's system, it's already on my PC, and it works.

If it is not broken, don't fix it.

M.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    maddwolf wrote: »
    I hope that PWE doesn't pull STO from STEAM to add it to this ARC, cause i play STO through STEAM. Leave STO on STEAM where it belongs. People like me that have STO comunity Groups and are dependent on STEAM to play in/with other STO comunity groups. Just sayn'

the Steam version of STO has lots of problems.. fact all games in Steam have problems, sevear lag,glitches etc etc...
    main reason why I downloaded all my game from their makers....

but meeeh im check out this new ARC... thinggiy... I rather have it from a company i trust and love then some other company that do not know their games.....
    6tviTDx.png

• tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is an added complication.
    Well, for me anyway.

I use Steam to pay for my C-Store purchases because it's efficient, relatively bugfree and easy.

Conversely, when I tried to use a PW method of payment, it got so many redirects just trying to initialize the website that I gave up in the end!

And yes, for many other reasons, I use Steam.

So if you remove STO and CO from Steam just so I'm forced to use your carbon copy version, well, my response will be rather hostile.

By the way, Steam=C-Store payments for you.

If I can't buy C-Points with Steam, no more money will be coming your way!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    askray wrote: »
    ? Your account is already tied into all games PWE owns. ARC or not, someone gains access to your account they'll have everything anyways. :confused:

the account may already be tied... and is why I didn't WANT to merge my Cryptic accounts into PWE to login with PWE, instead of Cryptic to begin with....

... but, even with all of them tied, if I'm ONLY logged in 1 launcher, and go AFK a bit (Bio/snack/whatever) anyone that happens apon the PC has acsess to? ONE game, not ALLL PWE GAMES, but JUST ONE)

add a launcher that accssesses your payment options/forums/account options/game#1/Game#2/Game........Game#25/Game#26

well... YES IT"S A DAMN SECURITY RISK!!!!
  • aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    askray wrote: »
    ? Your account is already tied into all games PWE owns. ARC or not, someone gains access to your account they'll have everything anyways. :confused:

It might actually ADD to security. Perhaps too much. I couldn't get into any Cryptic game (and PW too) while Arc was running.

Tried to get into CO, STO via Arc = "invalid username or password"

Exited Arc, no problem.

Luckily I decided to exit Arc and retry before resetting all my passwords.
  • darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't want it! I'm utterly terrified of prospect of being forced to use this to play my STO.

Please, please, make it go away!
  • richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Arc brings together the best online gaming experiences from Perfect World Entertainment onto one easy-to-use platform.

Learn more about Arc here.

First, because I'm OCD like that, I need to point out that your link links to the very thread the link was made on.

Second, I only play STO, so I only need the game launcher. I don't use, or need, other multi-game launchers, like the well-mentioned Steam. Please tell me that the game launcher will always stay optional, for simpletons like myself.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    asphe wrote: »
    It might actually ADD to security. Perhaps too much. I couldn't get into any Cryptic game (and PW too) while Arc was running.

Tried to get into CO, STO via Arc = "invalid username or password"

Exited Arc, no problem.

Luckily I decided to exit Arc and retry before resetting all my passwords.

Yeah I'm getting this error once in a while myself. When it happens it usually takes 2-3 log in attempts to get it to go through. I'm also getting an error that just says "Unable to log in" and then dumps me back to the main log in screen. That takes a few tries to get past as well.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited June 2013
    I WOULD LOVE to get a Legacy pack, but I also don't want to spend a dime, unless I know for sure that ARC will never become mandatory........ this is REALLY important info, because if it ever becomes mandatory, I should start investing in a game that I will actually play... one that does not have a Steam clone between me and the game.
  • bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Being someone in their now much younger days that used to hack as easily as people breath and networks much more secure that what Cryptic/PWE is running I can 100% assure you I'm not being "kinda paranoid". That's all long behind me, but the point is I know both sides of the coin.

You're still overreacting. If you play STO, you're logging in via a PWE Account, if you play Neverwinter, you're logging in with a PWE account.

Nothing has changed.. except logging in once to be able to launch either game.. this doesn't increase or decrease the security of your password..

I've tried it.. it works ok.. I'd like for it to be able to skip the step of launching Cryptic's launcher, and me still having to click the engage/play button though.
    edited June 2013
    You're still overreacting. If you play STO, you're logging in via a PWE Account, if you play Neverwinter, you're logging in with a PWE account.

Nothing has changed.. except logging in once to be able to launch either game.. this doesn't increase or decrease the security of your password..

I've tried it.. it works ok.. I'd like for it to be able to skip the step of launching Cryptic's launcher, and me still having to click the engage/play button though.

I may, or may not, be over reacting.

simply put I'm on disability for PARANOIA.

I literally am not able to log into Steam, my condition prevents me from doing so.

what I have stated is NOT a threat... it's more of a warning, that if ARC becomes mandatory, I will not ever spend anything on a PWE game again... simply because I will NOT be able to log in. (it will not matter if ARC works, it will not matter if ARC has a free $100 million prize every day for a random person that logged in to it... I SIMPLY CAN"T)
    edited June 2013

and on this statement.

if someone hacks your password, it is likely that they ether obtained it through random generator, or through a keyloger, both of which often will not reveal which password they tried was the one that let them in.

when someone "hacks" 1 launcher and gets in ONE GAME, they can cause damage to that ONE GAME. (this is why most password hacks are solvable by going to the account page and resetting your pass. because... the single game launcher unlike ARC wouldn't grant acsess to account info, so now the hacker can change your E-mail and pass)

also with ARC they can effect ALL your PWE games instead of only 1 (if they didn't actualy know pass)

that time of not actualy knowing pass, means they must hack the 2nd, 3rd and so on games indavidualy, while they are trying to bulldoze through all that, you ... change the pass to something the keylogger wouldn't have seen you type, or to a less "random generater friendly" pass)

long story short...

25 launchers are more secure than 1 launcher that launches them all.

edit to add: and one of the most common instances where someone would get damage to the toons in 1 of the games they play is....

a disgruntled brother/sister, boyfriend/Girlfriend, that waited till you was afk to get on your game.... with ARC, they would be able to access them all, also assess account main, and if very disgruntled cause MASSIVE overall damage to every last PWE game you play... and this instance? doesn't even require hacking/knowledge of password.

long story short: Steam/ARC are way to high of a security risk, even talking about them makes me shake at the thought of how unsecured those systems are. (the more you bundle something into 1 place the easier it is to take/destroy the entire collection. nothing is more secure than placing 6 items on 6 different corners of the globe to make sure at least some of them are safe if 1 gets attacked/stolen. )

when something is easier to steal/destroy, then it is what boys and Girls? that's right, it's less secure AKA a security risk.
  • maddwolfmaddwolf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the Steam version of STO has lots of problems.. fact all games in Steam have problems, sevear lag,glitches etc etc...
    main reason why I downloaded all my game from their makers....

but meeeh im check out this new ARC... thinggiy... I rather have it from a company i trust and love then some other company that do not know their games.....

STO runs perfectly for me through STEAM. I've never had any problems with lag and or glitches.. :)
  • srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I personally am going love this thanks Brandon.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • mrspam404mrspam404 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Please do! We'd love to hear your feedback.

Also, please note that most features are not available for STO yet, but we hope to be able to offer them in the future!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

LOL yeah right. You guys hope to get a patch out fixing the bug's from LOR too right? You guys can't do that in almost two weeks, so why is it surprising most features wouldn't work with STO right now? You know when PWE bought Cryptic I really thought Cryptic was the better of the dev co's and thought it was a bad idea, but it seems to me over the last three years that PWE is the better company, by far, and that's not saying much. Tell your bosses at PW, that my feedback for Arc is, to stop announcing it on the STO forums, If Cryptic doesn't have the time or knowledge to make the features work with STO. Or send over someone who knows what they're doing to get it done.(have him fix some bugs on the game too while he's at it)

You guys like money right Cryptic? I mean the way this game is run you can tell you guys only like money, nothing else matters. I was wondering why don't you try to make a deal and sell this game to a dev team that can actually add to it, and people actually who know what they're doing? This isn't a flame it's a serious question. Maybe you guys could get just one big paycheck...

On a side note Brandon, why put cheers in every post. Not everyone here is happy with this bug ridden mess of a game, and every time I see another CHeers! post from you makes me want to hang myself. What I want are dev's on here apologizing and giving an ETA of when real fixes are comming, not this arc TRIBBLE. CHEERS! :eek:

And to the other guy who put down Steam saying all steam games have problems? Just a complete LIE. Because unlike these companies, Valve knows what they are doing. Also how you could compare this to steam is beyond me. Steam is #1 in the industry in what it does, by a very longshot.
  • aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm getting this error once in a while myself. When it happens it usually takes 2-3 log in attempts to get it to go through. I'm also getting an error that just says "Unable to log in" and then dumps me back to the main log in screen. That takes a few tries to get past as well.

So you're saying it's like when you're trying to enter an event and you get a 'map manager error' or it just dumps you back where you were?

Curious and curiouser.

Well, if PWE decides to dump Steam or make ARC mandatory ala EA's Origin... well I can live with it as long as it actually allows you to log in.
    edited June 2013
    and on this statement.

25 launchers are more secure than 1 launcher that launches them all.

25 Launchers, for the same company's games, using the same username/password.. are not any more secure then one 'hub' for those same games, using the same username/password.

Password security, and by extension, account security. Is the end user's ultimate responsibility (at least in my opinion). Obviously, if PWE/Cryptic has a server compromise on their side..that's different. But, since I think everyone can agree that 99% of account 'hacks' are not server side.. it's not cryptic/PWE's job to keep your account secure.

It's yours.. and nothing that I've seen in ARC (so far) does anything to make my account less secure then it was two days ago before I installed it.

IF you've got actual proof that ARC has security holes and is broadcasting my username/password to the internet in clear text.. then you have something to get upset about.. but, making false claims that ARC is less secure then a stand along launcher.. is not accurate.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While I am going to guess that Cryptic neither wants this or even likes this it is going to be compulsory in a few months anyhow and we as a playerbase must make a choice on just how much we love STO.

Looking at the system requirements for ARC I cannot see how any kind of 'launcher' should really need upto 1GB of hard disk space so this thing will obviously do so much more and not always to our benefit and that kind of scares me. I really cannot spare the HD space the 'launcher' wants due to being on a laptop but on the other hand i have too much invested in STO to just walk away. Of course if ARC does somehow to appear to be a security risk I will walk away regardless of how much I will have lost out on financially.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
    edited June 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    While I am going to guess that Cryptic neither wants this or even likes this it is going to be compulsory in a few months anyhow and we as a playerbase must make a choice on just how much we love STO.

Looking at the system requirements for ARC I cannot see how any kind of 'launcher' should really need upto 1GB of hard disk space so this thing will obviously do so much more and not always to our benefit and that kind of scares me. I really cannot spare the HD space the 'launcher' wants due to being on a laptop but on the other hand i have too much invested in STO to just walk away. Of course if ARC does somehow to appear to be a security risk I will walk away regardless of how much I will have lost out on financially.

The 1GB is just to install (temporary files, etc..).. Final installed size is less then 100 MB.
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not quite sure what the point of Arc is.

Surely Steam does everything bigger and better?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wonder does this mean I will be soon forced to use this arc and download every pwe game even if the only game of theirs I would ever play is STO.
    edited June 2013
    asphe wrote: »
    So you're saying it's like when you're trying to enter an event and you get a 'map manager error' or it just dumps you back where you were?

Curious and curiouser.

Well, if PWE decides to dump Steam or make ARC mandatory ala EA's Origin... well I can live with it as long as it actually allows you to log in.

Oh I never even make it into the game when I get those errors. I get them when I try to log in through Arc. So I have it set to automatically log me in and then it tries to log in normally. It then sticks for a little bit and then errors out. That's when it dumps me back to the Arc log in screen. A few tries later and I can get in.

Today seemed to be smooth though. No errors yet.

Watch it give me all kinds of errors now that I said that. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited June 2013
    I wonder does this mean I will be soon forced to use this arc and download every pwe game even if the only game of theirs I would ever play is STO.

Oh you don't have to download all of the PWE games. It has two sections: one is your Library that lists the game you have installed, and another section listing all of the PWE titles. If you go to the list with all the titles it has an easy install option if you want to play that game. Using myself as an example, right now I only have STO and CO installed. So under my library tab, those are the only two games I see. I also only see news related to those game and not news for all of the other games I don't play. You can even switch around the priority of the games in your library. Right now I have STO set on the top so when I log in the first thing I see is STO and STO related news.

If it made me install every single PWE game there's no way I would use this ever lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • kyzlerkyzler Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *sigh* I can see where this is going :rolleyes:
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    think I'll stay with Steam, since as of right now neither Champions Online and Star Trek Online aren't even supported by Core Connect anyways. To be blunt and honest Cryptic, you are looking more and more like the proverbial red headed step child of PWE more of a marketing point for their other games. We all thought when PWE bought you out from Atari things would be better but they really haven't been, yes LoR has done miracles for STO but nothing grandiose. Right now you look like the Krenim from Star Trek: Voyager, Year of Hell, being sent home in a cargo container.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • cowboys3769cowboys3769 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this is a joke it made me down load sto again so i deleted it but it will not delete now i cant play sto this is real bad guess i have to start over very pissed rite know
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Which is exactly the point they are missing!

For players who have the standalone client or the Steam client, they already have a completely uptodate version of their game client.

Downloading it all over again is, as the Borg would say, irrevalent.

We'll just keep using what we have now and ignore Arc altogether.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    edited June 2013
    25 Launchers, for the same company's games, using the same username/password.. are not any more secure then one 'hub' for those same games, using the same username/password.

Password security, and by extension, account security. Is the end user's ultimate responsibility (at least in my opinion). Obviously, if PWE/Cryptic has a server compromise on their side..that's different. But, since I think everyone can agree that 99% of account 'hacks' are not server side.. it's not cryptic/PWE's job to keep your account secure.

It's yours.. and nothing that I've seen in ARC (so far) does anything to make my account less secure then it was two days ago before I installed it.

IF you've got actual proof that ARC has security holes and is broadcasting my username/password to the internet in clear text.. then you have something to get upset about.. but, making false claims that ARC is less secure then a stand along launcher.. is not accurate.

LISTEN

25 Locks, for the same door, using the same kwy.. IS WAY more secure then one lock for those same door, using the same key.

why?

because... it TAKES TIME TO OPEN THE 24 EXTRA LOCKS, even if they knew it waas the same key, and if they DIDN"T know it was the same key (does 100% of the world know that PWE, is this way or only those that already have accounts? hmm... HHHMMMM......????

quit saying that "requiring more time to do it" doesn't equal "more difficult to do"

ANOTHER BLASTED EXAMPLE:

the "hostile, finds it's way to your camp, and happens across a revolver, and ammmo for it (enough rounds to kill the entire camp)

they may kill 1, 2 or 3 of the "25 friends" in the camp, before they are stoped, and if they are skilled they may kill all of them.
    ----
    same hostile, but instead finds a reactor/the explosives depo.

they set it to blow, and... as they run off to safety ALL "25 friends" DIE.
    ---
    your logic.... oh if they found or revolver, they vcould cill us all anyways, so lets leave the nuclear warheads out ... it's no less secure
  • canisanubiscanisanubis Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yet another pathetic attempt at a 'me too' Steam clone.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I already downloaded this through Steam. I DUN WANNA DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN. D:

So I will stick with Steam for the foreseeable future.