test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer vs Tal Shiar Adapted Crusier

unheard1978unheard1978 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Hi please can any one tell me which is better please for my reman enginer.
Post edited by unheard1978 on

Comments

• allarian210allarian210 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neither as they do not have Singularity Cores, there are only two beefs I have with these ships, even when a Romulan buys them they cannot use Singularity Cores and are not considered Warbirds despite being an Adapted version of the Romulan Warbirds.
  • overdriven89overdriven89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they should implement a romulan version over the lobi store to be able to change the normal version for the romulan.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    minus:
    - no singularity cores
    - underpowered
    - no cloak

plus:
    - VERY nice design

i am very sorry i opened the ship on my Romulan main. i should have given it to any alt, that way i would at least see it once in a while when DOFFing.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    minus:
    - no singularity cores
    - underpowered
    - no cloak

plus:
    - VERY nice design

i am very sorry i opened the ship on my Romulan main. i should have given it to any alt, that way i would at least see it once in a while when DOFFing.

Underpowered as in 40 base power levels, or as in not able to put out much damage?
  • richardgross82richardgross82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    minus:
    - no singularity cores
    - underpowered
    - no cloak

plus:
    - VERY nice design

Frankly thats just rubish!
    - no singularity cores

The singularity cores provide actually less energy to a ship then very rare warpcores - unless they are fully charges which takes a while, and even then its not more energy (a warpcore with can provide more then 15energy when choosen carefuly).

Also - all warbirds which can use singularity cores - come with a penalty on energy levels - which is -40 (!).
    - no cloak

Also, the two lockbox ships do have cloaks - just no battle cloaks - that means you can not engage them in combat, but you can still use them for a sneak attack (like on KDF-Battlecruisers).
    - underpowered

I just had a closer lock at the battle crusier (lobi-store) - that thing has a universal commander boff, a ltc-science and a lt tac and a lt. eng. It also has a shild modifier of 1.3, a nice hull and 8 weapon slots and it got sensor analysis and +10 on shilds and +10 on aux. All this sums up to the most powerfull science ship in game (in my opinion) - but you have to use it right.

just had a short look on the destroyer - I don't see any reason while this should be underpowered.
  • symetreus69symetreus69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

SAME!!! I wish I could ticket it but I'm pretty sure I'd be unsuccessful.
    Lifer since headstart!
  • tilviustilvius Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Special Warships in the Tal Shiar Lock Boxes, the Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer and Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser come with the first special warp cores in the game the [Tal Shiar Adapted Borg Warp Core]. This warp core augments Auxiliary power, hull regeneration, and increases sector space speed. It also interacts with the other consoles on Tal Shiar Adapted warships to increase exotic particle damage.

This is copy pasted from the STO wiki. Does anyone know more info in regards to this? I actually have the whole set. I notice the repair systems working but i don't notice the multi-spectral particle genarator doing it's thing?
  • thewolfsterthewolfster Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you hover over exotic particle boff abilities (like gravity well) it will show the effects of the 3-piece bonus. You'll do a lot of shield-bypass damage on things like gravity well or aceton beam and it applies to the indoctrination universal console ability too.
    edited May 2013
    If you hover over exotic particle boff abilities (like gravity well) it will show the effects of the 3-piece bonus. You'll do a lot of shield-bypass damage on things like gravity well or aceton beam and it applies to the indoctrination universal console ability too.

That sounds pretty cool! Can you post the full specs for the bonuses for those of us that don't have one of the ships?
  • thewolfsterthewolfster Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here you go: http://d.pr/i/nvw4
  • kregorkregor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neither as they do not have Singularity Cores, there are only two beefs I have with these ships, even when a Romulan buys them they cannot use Singularity Cores and are not considered Warbirds despite being an Adapted version of the Romulan Warbirds.

Wanna know why? Because once they were modified to that extent, they were no longer "Warbirds." They were Borg ships being crewed by Tal'Shiar. Nothing remains of the ships they once were.
    edited May 2013
    Here you go: http://d.pr/i/nvw4

Thanks! Somehow missed your post until now.
  • tilviustilvius Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You guys do all remember the Narada from Star Trek ? That ship had Borg technology on it and it mophed the ship. Now the Tal Shiar have been doing the same thing with current warbirds. They are no longer warbirds. They have been morphed.

I just released these ships will really be powerful with the assimulated Borg set. Currently doing mision for these now! My Distroyer will unstobbable! =P
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The ship is very very awesomely designed aesthetically

The ship is pretty balanced in abilities, since it has a Commander Universal slot

I have the Adapted Cruiser

The indoctrination console imo is kinda lame... it's an overglorified isometric charge... a skill i am not that fond of
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
    edited May 2013
    With getting better at how and when to use the Singularity Core abilities, I can see why people are disappointed that it has a A-M Warpcore instead. Five special abilities, each of which is basically a situational utility universal console that consumes no slot is quite nice, even if it meant a drop in power.

Some very nice consoles are being missed out on as well, since the two ships aren't classed as Warbirds.

Still, they look nice with the Reman skins applied, saw both skin types in use on them over at DS9.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Held onto my boxed Cruiser for some time but eventually decided to offload it. With its turnrate I couldn't see it being used any different from a fed cruiser, which would mean the uni slot must be an engineer, and I would prefer to stick with my current Fleet Assault in that case. The lack of battlecloak or access to Warbird consoles rules out my Romulan using it. The looks were the biggest factor in wanting to open it for someone. But I would rather just have the capital to invest in something else.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • dustrethdustreth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have a very stupid question. Since we're talking about lockbox ships: as a reman/romulan you cannot put a singularity core into the slot? I'm asking this, because its unclear if lockbox ships are sticked to use warp cores only.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dustreth wrote: »
    i have a very stupid question. Since we're talking about lockbox ships: as a reman/romulan you cannot put a singularity core into the slot? I'm asking this, because its unclear if lockbox ships are sticked to use warp cores only.

you are correct. these only use warp cores not singularity.
  • borgeousborgeous Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just had a closer lock at the battle crusier (lobi-store) - that thing has a universal commander boff, a ltc-science and a lt tac and a lt. eng. It also has a shild modifier of 1.3, a nice hull and 8 weapon slots and it got sensor analysis and +10 on shilds and +10 on aux. All this sums up to the most powerfull science ship in game (in my opinion) - but you have to use it right.

I could not agree more. I commissioned the Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser and the Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer last night. I wanted the full console set. I equipped the BC with Advanced Fleet Plasma beam Weapons, the full Adapted Borg Set, the Mk XII Very Rare Borg Space set, AND the full Zero Point Romulan set from the reputation system. I carefully selected and trained four Human Boffs along with the Liberated Borg Sci Officer from Lobi Store. The result was THE most versatile cruiser (battle- or assault-) my Fed VA Tac main has flown to date. I still have some tweaking to do (e.g. minor skill respec) but so far this is an awesome vessel. The turn rate is surprisingly good for a battlecruiser (good enough for cannons), shield strength at +12k per 6 sec, shield regen at +1100 per 6 sec, and hull at +57k just for starters. Did I mention the truly incredibly beautiful Borgified design?! Mad props to the designers.
  • iskandusiskandus Member Posts: 1,062 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    borgeous wrote: »
    I could not agree more. I commissioned the Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser and the Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer last night. I wanted the full console set. I equipped the BC with Advanced Fleet Plasma beam Weapons, the full Adapted Borg Set, the Mk XII Very Rare Borg Space set, AND the full Zero Point Romulan set from the reputation system. I carefully selected and trained four Human Boffs along with the Liberated Borg Sci Officer from Lobi Store. The result was THE most versatile cruiser (battle- or assault-) my Fed VA Tac main has flown to date. I still have some tweaking to do (e.g. minor skill respec) but so far this is an awesome vessel. The turn rate is surprisingly good for a battlecruiser (good enough for cannons), shield strength at +12k per 6 sec, shield regen at +1100 per 6 sec, and hull at +57k just for starters. Did I mention the truly incredibly beautiful Borgified design?! Mad props to the designers.

Did you know that Human Leadership space trait has been bugged since LoR? They no longer have any effect, until they fix this bug, which no one knows when.

As for Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser being the best Sci ship out there, I think it's more hype than anything else. I logged on to my Fed toon yesterday and flew my Wells Timeship into a Capture & Hold pvp map. After spending days leveling my Rom toon, I was rusty and confused re: what to do with my Wells so I parked far away from the center of actions and was just trying to turn a point quietly. Sure enough, I could see this "massive hot mess" approaching me from behind trying to sneak up on me, only that ship didn't know this Wells is accustomed to Kerrat ambushes and his 2nd tier cloak means I could see him coming miles away. Long story short, 1 minute later, that ship was fighting to escape and had to be rescued by his teammates. The reason is simple, all these shielding and weaponry means nothing when that ship can't catch a fast and highly maneuverable Sci ship. Having 8 weapon slots is nice in theory but unless that ship can make all those slots work all the time, they are more useful as decorations than actually firing at someone. Plus, 1 on 1, my Wells is equipped to drain 109 in Weapons and Engine power simultaneously ( ES3 at 174 Flow capacitor, 2 X Subsystem Targeting, Plasmonic Leech) making my own power in all 4 subsystem 125+ (Aux = 130). When a slow ship has 8 weapon slots and relies on cannons and beam arrays, they consume a lot of power to begin with so with that massive drain, he may as well be shooting air gun at the ship with the toughest shield in the game. Meanwhile a few Transphasic here and a Cluster Torp there, he is off running and unable to because his engines is also barely powerless. So you asked, what happened to the Hazard Emitters? I am sure it was already overwhelmed by the spam of Romulan Hyper Plasma torps, HP Torp radiation damage or the experimental Romulan plasma hull melt.

All said and done, a ship needs to be able to turn, period. Turn rate of 7 is fit to be a tank but as for being a sci vessel, it then becomes a wingless bird. Sci vessels needs to be maneuverable. To this end, my critique of this Tal Shiar vessel is they try so hard to mimic Borg technology that they overthink it and blew up what makes Romulan ship fearsome to being with.
  • mehenmehen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    iskandus wrote: »
    Did you know that Human Leadership space trait has been bugged since LoR? They no longer have any effect, until they fix this bug, which no one knows when.

As for Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser being the best Sci ship out there, I think it's more hype than anything else. I logged on to my Fed toon yesterday and flew my Wells Timeship into a Capture & Hold pvp map. After spending days leveling my Rom toon, I was rusty and confused re: what to do with my Wells so I parked far away from the center of actions and was just trying to turn a point quietly. Sure enough, I could see this "massive hot mess" approaching me from behind trying to sneak up on me, only that ship didn't know this Wells is accustomed to Kerrat ambushes and his 2nd tier cloak means I could see him coming miles away. Long story short, 1 minute later, that ship was fighting to escape and had to be rescued by his teammates. The reason is simple, all these shielding and weaponry means nothing when that ship can't catch a fast and highly maneuverable Sci ship. Having 8 weapon slots is nice in theory but unless that ship can make all those slots work all the time, they are more useful as decorations than actually firing at someone. Plus, 1 on 1, my Wells is equipped to drain 109 in Weapons and Engine power simultaneously ( ES3 at 174 Flow capacitor, 2 X Subsystem Targeting, Plasmonic Leech) making my own power in all 4 subsystem 125+ (Aux = 130). When a slow ship has 8 weapon slots and relies on cannons and beam arrays, they consume a lot of power to begin with so with that massive drain, he may as well be shooting air gun at the ship with the toughest shield in the game. Meanwhile a few Transphasic here and a Cluster Torp there, he is off running and unable to because his engines is also barely powerless. So you asked, what happened to the Hazard Emitters? I am sure it was already overwhelmed by the spam of Romulan Hyper Plasma torps, HP Torp radiation damage or the experimental Romulan plasma hull melt.

All said and done, a ship needs to be able to turn, period. Turn rate of 7 is fit to be a tank but as for being a sci vessel, it then becomes a wingless bird. Sci vessels needs to be maneuverable. To this end, my critique of this Tal Shiar vessel is they try so hard to mimic Borg technology that they overthink it and blew up what makes Romulan ship fearsome to being with.

Of course, isn't it supposed to be based off of the D'deridex, anyway? I'd call an increase to 7 from 5 in turn rate ain't bad, especially considering the new Helmsman trait. Yes, I realize everyone who PvP's will have it on them, but to be perfectly honest I think PvP in this game is a joke.

On the other hand, I haven't seen any concrete facts on how the 3-piece radiation damage bonus works; does it stack per ability use, or only stacks per damage type? I think that's the hidden gem for this ship, at least for PvE. Pretty sure the Vesta and time ships will continue to roll in PvP, just because of their stats.
  • theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Neither, frankly. The Tal Shiar ships sacrifice the two biggest feathers in the Romulans' cap -- singularity cores and battle cloak -- for nothing that's particularly appealing to a Romulan. Warbirds already have good boff slotting, and the ability to fly science-heavy without sacrificing dual cannons (see, the Ha'nom and Dhelan retrofit). Enemy targets (even ESTF bosses) rarely last long enough for sensor analysis to stack meaningfully, so that's a wash.

Leave the Tal Shiar ships to the feds and KDF.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • richardgross82richardgross82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    theodrim wrote: »
    Neither, frankly. The Tal Shiar ships sacrifice the two biggest feathers in the Romulans' cap -- singularity cores and battle cloak -- for nothing that's particularly appealing to a Romulan. Warbirds already have good boff slotting, and the ability to fly science-heavy without sacrificing dual cannons (see, the Ha'nom and Dhelan retrofit). Enemy targets (even ESTF bosses) rarely last long enough for sensor analysis to stack meaningfully, so that's a wash.

Leave the Tal Shiar ships to the feds and KDF.

Well, there are people out there (myself included) who just don't like the singularity cores and their abilities and don't want to have the -40 energy penalty of singularity cores. The ships from the lockboxes and lobistore are the only ships available for romulan players at level 50 without the singularity core (I hope we'll get a chance to get the breen ship again next winter).

Regarding the Battle Cloak: frankly I don't see why it should be considered so much better than a normal cloak, sure you can use it in combat - but does it really work as a getaway when the shots fired while you cloak are still going to hit you (with shilds down thx to the cloak ...)?
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you guys for this thread. I was lucky enough to get a TSA Destroyer from a Luck Box, and purchased a TSA Cruiser from the Exchange. Before I open the boxes, I'm trying to decide which toons/playstyles I want to go with.

I was thinking of putting a KDF Tac officer in the Destroyer and Fed Sci (Lib Borg, no less) in the Cruiser. The former being DPS-focused, the latter a sort of CC/DPS/Tanker Swiss-Army-Knife build. (Both of these for PvE use only.)

Thoughts?

Also, do you guys know if the Tal Shiar Adapted ships can use the "base" warbird consoles? For example, can the Adapted Cruiser use the Projected Singularity and the Molecular Phase Inversion Field consoles from the D'ridthau Warbird Battle Cruiser and the D'deridex Retrofit (thereby getting the Enhanced Maneuvering Thrusters set bonus)? If so, I'm thinking I might keep the ship on my Rommie to take advantage of the extra consoles.
    borgeous wrote: »
    I could not agree more. I commissioned the Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser and the Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer last night. I wanted the full console set...
    Do you mean to say you put both the Shrapnel Torpedo Launcher console and the Indoctrination Nanite Dispersal System console on your TSA Cruiser? Is there a set bonus for having both of these mounted on the same ship? I do like your idea of going Full Borg (Retro Assimilated Borg pieces, etc). Can you post a pic of your TSA Cruiser with all Borg set visuals on display?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • unheard1978unheard1978 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i found these :)

Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser,

http://youtu.be/2LasbRKFwLo

http://youtu.be/Tb-sCIzlbPs

Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer

http://youtu.be/EQSvRzAByJI
  • theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Regarding the Battle Cloak: frankly I don't see why it should be considered so much better than a normal cloak, sure you can use it in combat - but does it really work as a getaway when the shots fired while you cloak are still going to hit you (with shilds down thx to the cloak ...)?

Battle cloak is not an "oh, TRIBBLE!" button.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    minus:
    - no singularity cores
    - underpowered
    - no cloak

plus:
    - VERY nice design

Agreed,

The looks of the Adapted Romulan Vessels are about the only thing that they have going for them.

The Adapted vessels seem woefully underpowered when look at how they stack up to comparable vessels; however, of the 2 the Adapted Battle Cruiser seems like the all-around better vessel.

The Lack of a Singularity core was due to the fact that these are open faction ships and Singularity Cores are Romulan only, it makes sense but Cryptic could have done better.

I think that the Adapted Vessel would be a heck of a lot more popular than they are if Romulan players could use Adapted Singularity Drives with them.

In hindsight I think what I would have done with the Adapted vessels if I were Cryptic would have been to have them come standard with their current Adapted Warp Cores but have a D-Store per Character Option to buy Adapted Singularity Cores that would only be available to Romulan Captains that have either of the Adapted vessels active in their roster of ships.

With the above suggestion the Adapted vessels would still be very big draws to Romulan players but still be open to all factions.

I really wanted both of the Adapted vessels but I realized that the Singularity Core was just too useful a tool for a Romulan player to pass up and that I'd never use them with my Romulan Characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iskandusiskandus Member Posts: 1,062 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It has to be said, the only thing worth noting about the Adapted Destroyer is its look and aesthetic appeal. I still can't believe some people paid 90-100+ million ec for this ship, which I sold mine for 91 million and am glad as the price is now much lower. I suspect it will get lower still after the initial fanfare wears out, then people start to realize how under powered this ship really is. Right now, it's emotions over logic.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Those ships haven't impressed me at all from what I have seen people do with them in pvp and pve. As a Romulan your options are so much better, all of the various Romulan Fleet ships are better choices that won't cost you as much. Especially if you can ge the 2 piece console sets, a Fleet Mogai with the refit and retrofit consoles can tank great and has excellent firepower with the decreased weapon power drain bonus. Its boff layout is better then the Destroyers and turns better.

The Fleet D'Deridex is better then the adapted battlecruiser also, the universals on the battlecruiser are not that useful, since if you use it as tac or sci you only get Lt Eng, very hard to make a cruiser work with that layout, while the D'Deridex gets better consoles, better cloak and its boff layout has commander eng while still having a decent amount of tac and sci. No reason for Romulans to use those ships at all, they are only there for giving Feds and KDF a watered down version of Warbirds.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    iskandus wrote: »

actually the moral of that story is its not the ship its her captain just because you facerolled a noob in a new ship doesent mean the ship sucks I know people in pvp with the new ships that aren't noobs and faceroll people all day long hell ive seen people flat line other with the lowly Aquarius (im still amazed by that)
    Well, there are people out there (myself included) who just don't like the singularity cores and their abilities and don't want to have the -40 energy penalty of singularity cores. The ships from the lockboxes and lobistore are the only ships available for romulan players at level 50 without the singularity core (I hope we'll get a chance to get the breen ship again next winter).

^^^^^this ^^^^
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg