test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SPOILER ALERT: Obisek

teklionbenrashateklionbenrasha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
When playing Season 7 I got the impression that the Remans under Obisek and the Romulan Republic were, if not united, then strongly allied. But after playing the LoR missions, I don't get this impression: Obisek respects the RR players but isn't "allied" with them as such. So how do we get from one to the other?
Post edited by teklionbenrasha on

Comments

• Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When playing Season 7 I got the impression that the Remans under Obisek and the Romulan Republic were, if not united, then strongly allied. But after playing the LoR missions, I don't get this impression: Obisek respects the RR players but isn't "allied" with them as such. So how do we get from one to the other?

We haven't yet. Obisek is working with the Republic, but hasn't joined them yet. But the current cooperation could lead to it. That would give Obisek's Remans a new home to go to, and it would give the Republic the ship-building capacity of the Vault, so that they can become the galactic power they should be.
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you finish the Romulan story missions and the New Romulus adventure zone missions we see that the Remans and the Republic are on the verge of working together and the Tholians are trying to force both forces away from what they want on New Romulus (The Iconian Gate, and the Sword) by attacking The Vault.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    icegavel wrote: »
    We haven't yet. Obisek is working with the Republic, but hasn't joined them yet. But the current cooperation could lead to it. That would give Obisek's Remans a new home to go to, and it would give the Republic the ship-building capacity of the Vault, so that they can become the galactic power they should be.

We as players still don't know the Vault's secrets and if it can build and retrofit ships as powerfull as the Narada no wonder the Tholians want to get their hands on it.
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    galr25galr25 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the full alliance will be made clear to us with an episode or maybe a little feature series ,which leads to the New Romulus expansion on the Remus Lower city, that is mentioned in the video when you first land on New Romulus with a character. Hopefully (As a Reman V.A.) it will also mean a Reman boff seller and Doff seller and maybe a new outfit or two.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    All the missions after Revenge Arc have minimal effort involved, the so called "Freedom" Arc is a complete joke as no actual effort was put into making those Romulan missions (heck T'nae voice recording is under horrible conditions), a near total redesign is in order.

I found them quite good and very refreshing making me want to jump more into the game again .

Sure more than just I feel that way.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Why?

Its exactly the same as before, there are almost no differences ... everyone will act as if you are Fed or KDF, its still "Cloaked Intentions" and not "Freedom".

You might as well playing with your Fed or KDF character, Cardassian are the worst because since they were meant as Federation missions they are entirely Federation missions, even as KDF you will be taking orders from THIS IS KURLAND, they made some effort but its not enough since they cannot hide the fact those are Federation missions on design.

Old content and new content often clash, their stubbornness in keeping this Federation-Klingon War despite end game and FE already for all intents and purposes have make it irrelevant, there is no effort in reconcile the so called reality that is a ongoing "war" and the fact they are teaming up to do "something" as allies.

The only one that still works is "Spectres" since its utter neutral but lacks a context for Romulans since Drozana is in Eta Eridani.

Fact is, at level 10 you are forced into Fed or KDF, you then stop being a Romulan are now part of either the Klingon Defence Force or Starfleet, this does not became apparent until Revenge Arc is over and we start to play older content.

Heck the Breen will address you buy your chosen faction, they will say Starfleet or KDF ... not Romulan, how is that "refreshing" to be reduced as nothing but a Alien flying a Lock Box ship?

There are a very little bits thrown in for Romulans, but yes they are re-used older missions in the one chapter of the Romulan missions, but playing the full set of Romulan missions is good and it's been done well.

As for the missions after the Romulan story , where you do the True way saga and such , its clear less work has gone in the this part and i agree with you on that.
    It needs work to make it feel more focused on the Romulan point of view.

I maintain the LOR expansion has indeed been refreshing , with the elachi and such.
    The romulan faction is a 'Demi-faction' as will any other faction that comes into the game in reckon. At end game though you don't do much which really makes you notice the faction all the PVE and rep systems are the same which ever you are is so the "alien flying a lock box ship" doesn't really apply because at end game every one is in the same grinding gang and only ships and races really break them up.
    The omega force stuff even says about the federation and the KDF working to gether to kill borg etc.

I choose to try and stay optimistic though and see this as a simple starting point for the RRF and look forward to seeing if/how it will expand and how the story will evolve. People asked for Romulans and warbirds they got them.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To see the differences, you have to read all of the assignment dialogs (little references to things like how you're not really bound by the Prime Directive and such).

Sadly, such close reading also reveals dialog bits that should have been changed (why is T'Nae confiding in you, a Romulan, about how much she distrusts Romulans? Why, when you ask Drake if he answers to Starfleet Intelligence, does he still go off on that riff about your high-minded Federation morals, which could easily be skipped as it's a separate page from the part about Section 31?).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    galr25 wrote: »
    I think the full alliance will be made clear to us with an episode or maybe a little feature series ,which leads to the New Romulus expansion on the Remus Lower city, that is mentioned in the video when you first land on New Romulus with a character. Hopefully (As a Reman V.A.) it will also mean a Reman boff seller and Doff seller and maybe a new outfit or two.

Unfortunately, I don't think your right on this. I recall Taco saying that the Lower City area was not built with player visits in mind back around Season 7's launch. Having said that though, thankfully things can change in an MMO, and I very much like what you have in mind - hopefully Cryptic agrees with you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think your right on this. I recall Taco saying that the Lower City area was not built with player visits in mind back around Season 7's launch.

Oh really it would suck if they keep it that way, even an option in the turbo lift and an area the size of the hanger deck on new Romulus would be enough for me, with the Boff and Doff people and maybe Obisek standing about.
    nynik wrote: »
    Having said that though, thankfully things can change in an MMO, and I very much like what you have in mind - hopefully Cryptic agrees with you.

Ye I hope it does change.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If Romulans are a sub-faction or a mini-faction then dont try to sell it as a brand new faction, if FE continue with their KDF/Fed duality then Romulans are not a faction.

As handled it does not even make sense as a mini-faction with CHOOSE YOUR FACTION because it sells the idea its a faction, works as a faction until lv 40 and then stops being one.

You do understand KDF players have long complained about end game and new content?

If you want to make a "factionless" MMO fine, not a problem but right now we are with Blue vs Red, missions are not factionless as either they are exclusive or they are dual, Romulans are not even part of the dual system.

Yet they are at War, its like when Germany declared War in the US after Pearl Harbor they would still want to use the Panama Canal.

I look at Cryptic history, I look at the KDF ... I see nothing from Cryptic acknowledge there are issues with older content for Romulans and I look at what happened with the KDF that got a bunch of refurnished Fed missions as "new content" ... like The New Link.

I didn't say it was a faction-less game I said you don't really notice you faction at end game and that we all have the same grind for Dil , EC and now marks , which is true.

Seems to me that all you want to do is find anything to moan about and if you pay your subscription and that you are entitled to.
    I'm not syaing you arn't like but if you ain't happy with cryptic you can always not give them your money and play the game for free until such a time you think
    "They're doing good work I don't mind contributing a subscription fee."
    The over all success of LoR even with its issues has been quite high from what they have reported back to us and when something brings success this normally leads to reward and improvements.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    galr25 wrote: »
    I choose to try and stay optimistic though and see this as a simple starting point for the RRF and look forward to seeing if/how it will expand and how the story will evolve. People asked for Romulans and warbirds they got them.

You and me both. I do choose to be optimistic as they could have decided to not release any Romulan faction until there was enough to place it on part with the Federation. Had they done that, it would likely be another two or three years.

Most of the complains I see with regards to the Romulan Faction are a repeat of complains with the incomplete-ness of the KDF. Since season 2, players were demanding late game Federation missions altered for the KDF. Being able to run them with the bugs and errors is better than nothing at all. Hopefully, they will "Re-master" the missions like the did with "The Doomsday Device" and "Diplomatic Orders". Re-matersing the Cardassian missions with cut-scenes would be awesome. By re-mastering, the programers wouldn't just be going through the text to fix dialogue for three factions, but would also make "Everything Old is New". (Sorry, way too tempting to not make that reference.)