test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is going on with this game????

chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I am a big fan of this game,but its not fun when we get these frequent downtimes all the time now. Told its for server stability. well so far every time theres been a patch,i presume its the same old files downloading.If these files are the same ones to gloss over the old ones,its not working.
From what I have seen,Nothing has been fixed.
I was told on facebook by someone from sto,that they were onto these bug problems.
I am beginning to think I was lied to by sto.
Cryptic,lets have the truth please. what is wrong with this game with all these bugs on it?
The most annoying bug is the mail system one, not everyone agrees there I appreciate that.
Surely a few days downtime,will give sto a chance to thoroughly go through the game,with a fine tooth comb so to speak,and clean out all bugs.I don't think I am being unreasonable in saying,this game needs a thorough check over,and not with these daily 2 or 3 hour downtimes. Give it a few days or even a week perhaps, to go through it.
Players will perhaps appreciate that more,as it may mean no more or a lot less bugs around.
I want this game to run well,and so far its failed to do that. Bugs and more bugs NOT fixed.
Post edited by chaz200565 on

Comments

• equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Downtime? Hmm I didn't notice. The huge wall of similar posts completely bypassed me.
  • captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is the same thing that happens every time a large patch or event happens, but it seems they never learn
    the anniversary event that first week was horrible, they took the game down for maintenance 5 or 6 times

not to mention they should have had LoR in open beta for more than a week... they even said it was the biggest patch in STO ever

i can understand problems happening, but they have methods available to prevent most of it and that is what is the most frustrating
    they should have worked on the beta more before going live with it
    they know that a new patch will strain the servers and connection, so they should make allowances for the added traffic on the game

they need to be preventive and fix stuff before, so they arent backed into a corner and have to be reactionary
    cryptic reminds me of microsoft
    just have to get vista out to market no matter what.....
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow the utter lack of understanding of what is being suggested is truly staggering. :eek:

so far,nothing has changed unless I have missed something. do please tell what I have missed.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Star Wars Galaxies from the start until about the CE used to have daily server reboots. After they stopped, server instability increased dramatically, occasionally getting so bad the servers crashed. The game would still be going strong (since summer 2004) today if Lucas hadn't killed it in favor of SWTOR.

EVE Online has had daily downtime since launch (ten years ago now) and they continually show tens of thousands of players online at a time, every day.

Two very popular games that have or have had daily downtime. One that was shut down, was not related to said downtime. I don't know of any games that died because of excessive downtime, so please, list examples.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tiekosora wrote: »
    Star Wars Galaxies from the start until about the CE used to have daily server reboots. After they stopped, server instability increased dramatically, occasionally getting so bad the servers crashed. The game would still be going strong (since summer 2004) today if Lucas hadn't killed it in favor of SWTOR.

Thanks for giving me my morning laugh.
  • zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tiekosora wrote: »

EVE Online has had daily downtime since launch (ten years ago now) and they continually show tens of thousands of players online at a time, every day.

Two very popular games that have or have had daily downtime. One that was shut down, was not related to said downtime. I don't know of any games that died because of excessive downtime, so please, list examples.

There's a big difference between a daily downtime which is normal, necessary and factored into the game world (EVE), and continued 'maintenance fixes' (STO) which are unexplained, unexpected, and unplanned (or do you think they planned all this when they designed LOR?)

The first is an example of good planning and effective management, the second indicates shoddy work, poor management and hasty implementation of a half finished expansion.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The more interesting thing is that this maintenance is supposed to "improve server stability". The problem with this approach is that it is like burning the village to save the village. In fact, since the start of LoR, most server downtime has, in fact, been caused by "server stability improvements". Thus, the server would actually achieve greater uptime if simply allowed to run until it crashes, and the attempts at "improving server stability" actually decrease uptime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarovensaroven Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find it amusing yesterday was about "server stability" and yet while doing the Marooned quest chain I had three separate game client crashes due to loading maps and two maps that took almost five minutes to patch from the server. And before anyone asks I have 35 down/10 up most of the time on my connection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to open beta everyone

I am still waiting on fixes for season 7 myself...
  • b4k4nib4k4ni Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The games current state is horrible.

Not because of the bugs alone, more because of the communication between the players and pwe/cryptic/whoever runs this stuff now. Or better said, the lack of it.

If they would actually TELL what they do (in detail), what bugs are/were worked on and WHEN they plan to eliminate them, THEN it wouldn't be a problem.

Look at the Bug Compilation someone made in the Bug Forum and then look at the release notes - it's simply not funny anymore.

Even worse are the bugs after LOR - I mean of course, never saw a big update without any issues, but even blizzard has them done after 1-2 days - even the bigger ones.

If blizzard would release STO, LOR wouldn't made it live in THAT state. Those bugs right now are just to big and shouldn't have been missed in the beta time. Most of them were even reported.

Cryptics/PW's quality management and communication just sucks right now. Decided I don't buy anything for some time, maybe they need a hit or two from their customers ...
  • giantspacehamstegiantspacehamste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have to yet to play more then 4 hours since launch STO:LOR. it does have a lot to do with work but most days i cant play because the updates which are downloading at 5-15 kbps(i don't know why) Also suffering bad lag when playing. first time i login to sto:lor i couldn't interact with any npc as a romulan

i ready do like the improved UI, it feels right and give me more motivation to run the updating guantlant . The scaling of buildings are a lot better in the new romulans zones now to bring it to the rest of the maps (please start with DS9! i hate going there for that reason)