test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regarding STO's *repeated* 'shards'

thetraveler82thetraveler82 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
Fellow Feds, Klings and Roms,

Why should we put up with these REPEATED 'scheduled' - unscheduled, in fact! - so-called maintenance sessions? Why not COERCE these 'cryptic ones' to solve these bugs once and for all by taking down the servers for a day or two, and LEAVE the rest of the gaming days ALONE, as it should? And only with unforeseen errors and/or server attacks to give us these unannounced 'shards', let's say.
Should we organize ourselves under the form of an e-Petition OR under that of a mass mailing campaign, directed at "Cryptic"? Either way, we MUST do something! I mean, I'm here for little more than five months and I already had enough of this!

Thank you!
I love Science! STO science. B)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's their game, they can do what they want. However, it's my time, and I can do what I want. Keep me away long enough, I might just stay away. Such is the path to STO.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im sorry, what ?

If you are refering to todays maintenance it is always done at that time every week. Any other downtime is done if there are any problems and until the Legacy of Romulus addition there had been very little.

I am willing to give a little leeway on any hiccups after any major update to any game for 2-3 months as problems are bound to arise after such an update but serious issues need to be dealt with in a timely manor such as the issues with deleting mails and getting kicked out of PVE scenarios.

I have been led to believe these issues were on the test server for this update and without being sorted were pushed live, if this is the case then the legacy of romulus should have been delayed due to the severity of such issues but since it has been pushed through to live they need to sort the above two issues immediately.

Old and congested servers provided problems before the Legacy of Romulus update and were kicked into overdrive with the addition of people that had previously stopped playing and new players came rushing into the game so as I stated above I will give them sufficient time to sort things out and even then I will just ask on here for an update regarding what is going to to resolve any issues.

I am sure Cryptic / PWE are working on fixing any issues and I am sure that people including myself have been annoyed / frustrated since the update but there is nothing we can do about it and I see no need to take the aggressive stance that you have by wanting to "Coerce" and organize "Petitions"

Just my opinion, feel free to comment on anything as you see fit.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Four (or five, I've lost count) 100-ish meg patches all for server stability must make STO's server the single most complicated server being used in the entire world of gaming. That sure is a hell of a lot of library, internal reference, and archive links.

Either that or they have coders that don't know what they're doing and they're making us download the same data over and over.

Gee I wonder which it is.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • kregorkregor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w

Their game.

Their rules.

Their right.

You agreed to it when you first logged in.
  • thetraveler82thetraveler82 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *Their* game

*Our* money & rules

*Our* rights

2:1 - WE win! :D
    edited May 2013
    Four (or five, I've lost count) 100-ish meg patches all for server stability must make STO's server the single most complicated server being used in the entire world of gaming. Either that or they have coders that don't know what they're doing and they're making us download the same data over and over.

So right! :(
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *Their* game

*Our* money

*Their* rules

*Our* rights

2:1 - WE win! :D

Fixed

/10char
  • carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Either that or they have coders that don't know what they're doing and they're making us download the same data over and over.

Gee I wonder which it is.
    You're either a coder/developer with full access to the code and server infrastructure of STO, or you're a randomer on the forums that likes to think they know what's going on behind the closed doors at Cryptic.

Gee, I wonder which it is.
    edited May 2013
    zurganus wrote: »
    Fixed
    /10char

You have just *deformed* my quote, Zurganus. One does not do that.
    edited May 2013

Which *is it*! Not the other way around. :) By the way, are YOU another 'randomer' who likes to LICK "Cryptic" for some 'freebies', perchance? ;) Or an employee of the firm? :D
    edited May 2013
    *Their* game

*Our* money & rules

*Our* rights
    Re-read sections 17 and 18 of the Terms of Service, and then try again.

We have no "rights" when it comes to downtime, whether planned or not.
    edited May 2013
    Which *is it*! Not the other way around. :) By the way, are YOU another 'randomer' who likes to LICK "Cryptic" for some 'freebies', perchance? ;) Or an employee of the firm? :D
    Yes, I work for Cryptic. I get paid 20,000 free Zen a month for defending Cryptic on the forums :rolleyes:

The level of stupidity around here is staggering sometimes, it really is.
    edited May 2013
    We have no "rights" when it comes to downtime, whether planned or not.

This STILL doesn't give you the right to alter my proposition between quotation marks!
    We have no rights, you say? Well, maybe is time for this mentality / attitude to CHANGE.
    This *repeated and unscheduled* downtime thing is a mockery / insult thrown in the face of ALL of us! And whoever likes to take sides with "Cryptic", I can only suspect him or her of personal bias; of self-interest. Most probably, they're employees there OR have relatives and/or friends who are hired by this firm.

P.S. Those who MAY BE employees of "Cryptic" don't necessarily receive free Zen, but... ahem, MONEY. :D

END of story.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I prefer my popcorn to be buttered for threads like this. I can understand why some would prefer cheese. But it just seems like too much.
    <3
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fellow Feds, Klings and Roms,

Why should we put up with these REPEATED 'scheduled' - unscheduled, in fact! - so-called maintenance sessions? Why not COERCE these 'cryptic ones' to solve these bugs once and for all by taking down the servers for a day or two, and LEAVE the rest of the gaming days ALONE, as it should? And only with unforeseen errors and/or server attacks to give us these unannounced 'shards', let's say.
    Should we organize ourselves under the form of an e-Petition OR under that of a mass mailing campaign, directed at "Cryptic"? Either way, we MUST do something! I mean, I'm here for little more than five months and I already had enough of this!

Thank you!

I'm guessing that it takes two days to do two days of work, whether the shard is up or down. I'm still having issues that I assume are "stability" related, and would like to have them fixed.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like for Cryptic to start taking the game down on a daily basis, but only for like, maybe 5, 10, or 30 minutes, just to see how people would react.

It would certainly make for a more entertaining game. :P
  • voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013
    First of all, there's no reason to believe that taking down the servers for a day or two would cause everything to be fixed. If a bug fix isn't tested and ready to deploy then it's not ready to deploy. You can take down the server but if there's not a fix then it's irrelevent.

Second, if they took the servers down for an entire day, people would go nuts in the forums about not being able to get their daily fix of buggy STO content. "Oh this is my only day off this month! How could you do this to me, Cryptic!?" some one would say.

And if they make no incremental improvements, then that also makes people angry because they assume that cryptic isn't doing anything.

I'm honestly just happy they're not taking the server down during prime time.
    edited May 2013
    This STILL doesn't give you the right to alter my proposition between quotation marks!
    That was Zurganus, not me.
    We have no rights, you say? Well, maybe is time for this mentality / attitude to CHANGE.
    Maybe you should have thought of that before agreeing to the terms.
    This *repeated and unscheduled* downtime thing is a mockery / insult thrown in the face of ALL of us! And whoever likes to take sides with "Cryptic", I can only suspect him or her of personal bias; of self-interest. Most probably, they're employees there OR have relatives and/or friends who are hired by this firm.
    Yes, I have self-interest. I want them to fix the game's stability/bugs. If that requires frequent and unscheduled downtime to try out different solutions, then so be it.

You can keep believing that everyone that understands the necessity of downtime works for Cryptic if you want. The simple fact is, some people realise these things happen.
    I suppose in your opinion I also work for CCP, as I wasn't frothing at the mouth when EvE fell over this afternoon (for the second time this week). PSN went down not long ago. I didn't complain. Do I work for Sony too?
  • bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    New expansion, plus NeverWinter is in Open Beta, and there is some shared infrastructure. I'm just coming back after a couple years away, and think this maintenance is reasonable. I would like to see a bug fix or three rolled into one of these.. But I can also understand Cryptic's reluctance to make code changes on an unstable platform.
    edited May 2013
    I'm honestly just happy they're not taking the server down during prime time.
    It's always prime-time somewhere. If not in the UK, in America. If not in the UK or the US, it's in Australia. If none of those, it's Russia, or Egypt, or somewhere else completely random.

Can't please everyone :P
  • stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If taking the server down for a few days fixed everything then yes, let's do it. Unfortunately, it most definitely wouldn't, so let's not...
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're either a coder/developer with full access to the code and server infrastructure of STO, or you're a randomer on the forums that likes to think they know what's going on behind the closed doors at Cryptic.

Just because you are probably 16 years old and have no other expertise other than gaming doesnt mean that everyone here on the forums has no clue about anything. There are in fact loads of hard working and possibly even quite skilled people that like to play computer games in their free time and *maybe* even play this game. I know its hatd for you to believe but they may even be devs / proggers / designer *somewhere* and thus have insights into the production of good models/code/... that you in all likelyhood will never have.

So please stop this stop crying about armchair *anything* because there are people like me and others who are quite skilled at what they do and have quite and extensive knowledge of areas you may never have heard of before. Just because there a lots of schoolbabies here doent mean that the *older faction* is not also present and enjoying the game.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can agree and understand with everyone's complaints and opinions.

I agree that we have had to wait for alot of maintenance , yet at the same time I also understand that such things are expected to happen during such a large release upon the game.

So, I don't know really , I think, I agree with somebody who said, shut down the game for a few days, to fix everything, then that way it's all fixed. I'd agree to that.

One other thing too, is , I think it would be nice , if perhaps we were all given like a crate of 20,000 crystals per character, (Free) , at some point, for having to wait for all the maintenance that's had to be done.

They don't HAVE to, but it would be nice.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just because you are probably 16 years old and have no other expertise other than gaming doesnt mean that everyone here on the forums has no clue about anything. There are in fact loads of hard working and possibly even quite skilled people that like to play computer games in their free time and *maybe* even play this game. I know its hatd for you to believe but they may even be devs / proggers / designer *somewhere* and thus have insights into the production of good models/code/... that you in all likelyhood will never have.

So please stop this stop crying about armchair *anything* because there are people like me and others who are quite skilled at what they do and have quite and extensive knowledge of areas you may never have heard of before. Just because there a lots of schoolbabies here doent mean that the *older faction* is not also present and enjoying the game.

I agree. I create my own games at home just for fun in some of my spare time.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For those that like to quote the ToS and flip the bird at everyone else.
    23. Limitation of Liability
    ...Some states do not allow the foregoing limitations of liability, so they may not apply to you and in such a case you agree that PWE's (or any such other released parties) liability to you shall be limited to the maximum extent permitted by law.

Just thought I would leave that there.
    edited May 2013
    That was Zurganus, not me.

Maybe you should have thought of that before agreeing to the terms.

Yes, I have self-interest. I want them to fix the game's stability/bugs. If that requires frequent and unscheduled downtime to try out different solutions, then so be it.

You can keep believing that everyone that understands the necessity of downtime works for Cryptic if you want. The simple fact is, some people realise these things happen.
    I suppose in your opinion I also work for CCP, as I wasn't frothing at the mouth when EvE fell over this afternoon (for the second time this week). PSN went down not long ago. I didn't complain. Do I work for Sony too?

Allow me to be BRIEF... :)

1.) OK, it was Zurganus.

2.) Then, stop being such a wuss.

3.) Who cares about your OTHER games? :)

We end this now, okay?
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer my popcorn to be buttered for threads like this. I can understand why some would prefer cheese. But it just seems like too much.

Eh. I'm a Doritos man myself.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited May 2013
    I'm not saying they have no clue about anything, I'm saying they don't know the infrastructure of Cryptic's servers. I know there are coders/modders out there, I've worked with them as part of the Phoenix Rising team for SW:EaWFoC, and I've personally worked with XML, Python and LUA.

The simple fact is, unless you've seen the code server-side, you don't know what they're working with.
  • big68earlbig68earl Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WE GET IT, you are upset you can't play the game when you want.
    Let them fix the servers, then fix the content mistakes then the game will be more stable.

it takes time to get everything right so 2 million people can play. unfortunately it is almost impossible to code the first time out the gate with no mistakes.

I could go in more detail in all the programming stuff but it would be lost on you)
    The programmers are doing their best. stop your crying for a few days and let them do their job
    . in a week or two this will all blow over and everything will be fine. the game is always changing and getting better there will always be a few stumbles.
    so stop the nerd rage and chill out. If you would like to really help then just post the problems you find in the forums with out the freaking crying and nerd rage.
    edited May 2013
    (...) When there's NO consensus on the gaming forums. :) In such a way, the third party - the devs' one - ALWAYS wins. ;) So, *be happy* with the ongoing 'shards'; we deserve them.