test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan-Allied Faction

asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
So I aligned my Romulan to the Feds, and I have a question...

Can my Romulan use these ships?

Galaxy-class Retrofit

Defiant Retrofit
latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
Post edited by asardetemplari on

Comments

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Short answer: no.
    Long answer: Romulans can use Tiers 1 through 4 (meaning up until Captain Level) of their allied ships.
    So no RA or VA ships.
  • asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh bummer.

I had no idea 'March underneath the Raptor's wings' meant 'March under the Federation's or KDF's banner and use their really sh*** ships'

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh bummer.

I had no idea 'March underneath the Raptor's wings' meant 'March under the Federation's or KDF's banner and use their really sh*** ships'

UMM...what?
    And I had no idea people thought "March Beneath the Raptor's Wings" means "I wanna play Romulans but f**k those Romulan Warbirds I wanna fly other factions ships "
  • asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just saying that Romulans flying other factions' ships just doesn't feel right. I mean, yeah lockboxes, but still... it's a bad idea

• tinman56tinman56 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Except you have to buy th faction ships with the normal amount of dilithium, so they're completely optional, whereas only the rommie ships are free. So yeah, it's actually pretty okay.
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just saying that Romulans flying other factions' ships just doesn't feel right. I mean, yeah lockboxes, but still... it's a bad idea

It does fit the story lines in game, however.

The Romulan Republic is rising from the ashes of a shattered empire .... a group that is building a new government.

Right now, their military is more militia based with independent ships and crews signed on to help the RR cause.

For the Federation and Klingons ... They are fighting a multi-front war and have been suffering losses ... likely multiplied by personnel shortages, etc.

I can see them giving up access to some of their less powerful or older ships if it helps get them allies in their fight.

You see it in today's world all the time with one government helping out smaller countries in similar manners.

So I can see Romulans getting access to allied ships ... but it is also smart that they don't have access to the top end ships ... more realistic that way.

Now for the Romulan's part that I don't like .... Being caught in the middle and fighting on both sides of a war. It pits Romulan against Romulan in a war not their own.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    edited May 2013
    genhauk wrote: »
    Now for the Romulan's part that I don't like .... Being caught in the middle and fighting on both sides of a war. It pits Romulan against Romulan in a war not their own.

Indeed. When I had heard about the choice to join either side, I thought it would be in a situation where you decided for the entirety of the Republic which one side they would be allied with, I hadn't realised they only wanted your personnal alliance. Maybe it's to explain why you got romulans in the KDF side, when you're on the Federation side but it's not like it really matters, that's a job for acceptable gameplay and story segregation.

Then again, it's not like you're involved in the war itself... you can still command Romulan ships and just because you're a federation aligned romulan, it doesn't mean you're obliged to blast a KDF allied Romulan outta the sky.
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're not realizing D'Tan's brilliance. With Republic officers that are officially allied to both Federation and Klingon Empire, he has a setup where if either side attacks him, he calls for support, and they're liable to wind up fighting their own people.

And if the Tal'Shiar attacks, neither side will be able to ignore his call, for fear the other side will gain an advantage in access to Romulan technology.

So really, this way not only avoids a lot of problems with PvP, it also provides the best possible protection for the Republic at minimal cost. And people think Romulans aren't sneaky and underhanded any more... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • admiralah1admiralah1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The storyline deals with the "Fed-Rom meets Kling-Rom" contingency.

Plus, this is totally a Romulan way of doing things. They are weaseling their way into both groups so that they can use their resources to benefit their own. Yes, it isn't in the same way that the old Empire did it, but it is still a very Romulan way of doing things.

Most of the complaints I've seen about the Romulan content so far has been from people saying that it isn't Federation or Klingon in either mechanics or mentality. Well of course not, this is a completely different faction and culture with a different philosophy and way of operating. So their politics function a bit differently and their ships fight a bit differently. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    edited May 2013
    admiralah1 wrote: »
    The storyline deals with the "Fed-Rom meets Kling-Rom" contingency.

Ahh I see, I might not have gotten that far yet then.

Don't get me wrong, the Romulan storyline and faction is one of the most interesting to play, and I can see my Rom beign a frequently used character even when the rom missions are caught up with. I was just wondering out loud how things were set up.
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tinman56 wrote: »
    Ahh I see, I might not have gotten that far yet then.
    When Tovan's ex-girlfriend talks you into going to Virinat to look for evidence that D'Tan is a terrorist, you'll encounter a Rom who allied with the other faction, and you'll see how it's dealt with.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    When Tovan's ex-girlfriend talks you into going to Virinat to look for evidence that D'Tan is a terrorist, you'll encounter a Rom who allied with the other faction, and you'll see how it's dealt with.

Oh right, I've done that, I merely completely forgot about it. Which is weird because I remember thinking how interesting it was. Maybe I was just distracted by the sight of destruction everywhere, I dunno.
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]