test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New DOFF Website

lealundlealund Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Greetings fellow DOFFers. Been in game since launch, and after 3 or so years can still say I'm enjoying STO.

In "real life" I'm a web developer, which means I'm always looking for something to develop. With that in mind, I had an idea to build a web site based on STO's DOFF system. It started out just as an excuse for me to stay current with HTML, JQuery, SQL, etc., but I think I've brought it to a point where it might actually be useful/fun for players who enjoy the in-game DOFF system.

If you have a minute, take a look:

http://www.king-con.com/sto/console/

The basic idea behind the app:

I wanted it to act as a kind of extension to the in-game, DOFF-oriented chat channels. Like them, it allows you to report on whatever DOFF assignments are currently popping in game, with the added benefit that missions listed will persist for the length of the current DOFF cycle.

Feel free to use/test the app as you like.

If you find yourself in game at the turn of a DOFF cycle, take a quick look at the current map assignments in your sector. See anything worth noting? Take a minute to "File a Report" and let other users know which missions are popping.

A few notes:

For the record, this is nothing like a "finished product". Heh, you've heard of a "beta test", this is something like a "gamma test", at best. Still, the basic functions of the app are all in place, and I think it's ready to be beat up on by actual users.

I could spend a ton of time trying to explain exactly how it's supposed to work, but I think I'd rather just let people have at it and decide whether it's usable or not.

Let me know what you think, let me know if it makes any sense to you at all, and I'm always open to constructive ideas as to how it might be improved.

Thanks, and have fun.
Post edited by lealund on

Comments

• eklinaareklinaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is pretty slick. I like it. If you really want it to get a thorough testing, share it in DOffJobs. They use something like this right now, but it's just a Google spreadsheet.
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice.

I second following up with DoffJobs.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the interface. I especially like that, when I'm at work or dodging spousal aggro, I can use Firefox set to *not* load graphics files and to use plain white backgrounds, and it doesn't seem to break anything. Very useful (and stealthy).

Consider me +1 on checking into DOFFjobs. Lots of people use that interface - I'm building a master list of my DOffs on my copy so I have a better idea when I have too many Botanists or not enough Quartermasters. And since it uses a similar reporting model, maybe integration wouldn't be too bad...
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • lealundlealund Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to all for the feedback.

Do you think I should just get into the in-game DOFFJOBS channel and ask people if they'd like to beta test the app?

I suppose that's the quickest way to get some testers. I just don't want to annoy everyone with an "advertisement" if you know what I mean.
  • eklinaareklinaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just tell them it's a pre-beta test and not ready for full use, and ask for feedback. You'll probably get some volunteers pretty quick. You won't annoy anyone as long as you don't spam the same request every 10 minutes.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One of the concerns I'd have about an app/website like the above would be the case that it offers the same or similar features as the normal, established doff sheet, for whose support the doffjobs and doffcalls channels were originally created if I recall correctly.

Since it seems that the "original" doffsheet has already been struggling to find contributers and editors lately, the introduction of a second, similar system might be counterproductive to and hurt both systems.

bit.ly/DOFFS

and

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=272688

(for those who don't know it yet)
  • egtownsendegtownsend Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is very cool!

I do have a question though. What does NADORC stand for? Also, there are radio buttons indicating rarity, but I'm not sure which is which. Do they increase in rarity left to right?

Thanks
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One of the concerns I'd have about an app/website like the above would be the case that it offers the same or similar features ... the introduction of a second, similar system might be counterproductive to and hurt both systems.
    I thought that, too. I do think that it might be possible for the OP to get with zerobang and interface his app with the doffjobs data, rather than using a separate database. *That'd* be a seriously cool project.
    egtownsend wrote: »
    What does NADORC stand for?
    Negotiate Additional Delivery Of Rare Commodities.
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/NADoRC
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • malakim0malakim0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love it already and I just tried it for a few minutes.

I have a few ideas of what I'd like something like this to do. Just can't post right now. I'll make a point of watching how this will develop.
    edited May 2013
    egtownsend wrote: »
    This is very cool!
    Also, there are radio buttons indicating rarity, but I'm not sure which is which. Do they increase in rarity left to right?
    Thanks

Yes. If you type in an assignment free-text, just go to the right of that text field and choose the rarity-color of that assignment, as it appears in-game.
  • gnugget2gnugget2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The site has potential, but I've found several things that need to be fixed and others that should be fixed for optimization/UI purposes:
    1. The "File Report" function isn't working for me in Firefox. It works in Chrome and from the little digging I did, it is partially related to missing DOM elements.
    2. IMO, turn off the sound by default.
    3. The input elements on the page should have labels associated with them instead of just text; that would make interacting with everything much easier.
    4. Enabling gzip compression and minifying and optimizing resources can significantly reduce loading time and total data transferred (easily by about 65%, possibly more).
    5. Specifying "Expires" headers for resources can improve page loading time.
    6. There are currently few (if any) limits on user input. One example is that a mission report can easily be approved hundreds of times by a single person. Allowing anonymous input has this general issue, so this will be difficult to fix without limiting users.
    7. I suggest using "cursor: pointer;" on everything that users can click; that makes it easier to tell that visual elements do something when clicked.
    edited May 2013
    gnugget2 wrote: »
    [*]
    There are currently few (if any) limits on user input. One example is that a mission report can easily be approved hundreds of times by a single person.
    Thanks much for this input.
    The quoted issue is something I thought I'd partially addressed. Did you experience it in all browsers? The system is supposed to allow one (and only one) confirm/dispute per user, per listed assignment.

If you multi-confirm an assignment, you're supposed to be hassled by NOMAD. He did not make an appearance?
  • gnugget2gnugget2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tested it using a developer's tool to generate HTTP requests. I remember that there is at least some client side validation, but there doesn't appear to be anything server side to prevent it.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This looks very nice.

I'd have to agree with the person who said it might destroy both Doffjobs and this project. I recommend bringing this to the attention of the Doffjobs organizers and have them review it.

I hope it goes through - VERY nice interface, and it runs smoother than Doffjobs :D
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • kaigen42kaigen42 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been using Doff Trekker and this website in tandem. I like the website because it can be used to track/search for assignments that Trekker doesn't bother to track. Also, I can actually file reports to the website (that's working for me now, by the way, I was the one PM'ing you a couple of days ago from the doffjobs channel), as opposed to the google sheet, where I can only hope that someone with editing powers spots the things I see. On the other hand, the spreadsheet is really handy for monitoring my cooldowns and which doffs I need to recruit.
  • fliporicanfliporican Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks good. Interested in designing a web page for a fleet?
    image.php?name=Sabio&ship=Renaissance&fleet=10th+MACO+Cavalry+Regiment&txtcol=EDE979&fac=fed&spezies=Human&klasse=Starfleet+Tactical+Officer&rank=vadm&image=01
    edited May 2013
    kaigen42 wrote: »
    channel)
    I've been using Doff Trekker and this website in tandem.
    I like the website because it can be used to track/search for assignments that Trekker doesn't bother to track.
    Also, I can actually file reports to the website...as opposed to the google sheet, where I can only hope that someone with editing powers spots the things I see.
    Thanks for testing the tool, and it's interesting: your thinking tracks almost exactly with mine regarding the current system.

While I appreciate the time and effort it must have taken to put the thing together, and have used it myself from time to time, it's always struck me as a little cumbersome. I mean, the way you have to get ahold of them just to put a mark in a spreadsheet(?).

I think I'm trying to design something a little more open-ended, kind of like the comment section of any decent blog or E-Zine article.
    Then again, who knows? It's hard to predict what people will find useful or fun (or not).
    channel)
    On the other hand, the spreadsheet is really handy for monitoring my cooldowns and which doffs I need to recruit.
    This is also true. I understand they offer all kinds of tracking and timing services, none of which I'm interested in duplicating.
    channel)
    that's working for me now, by the way, I was the one PM'ing you a couple of days ago from the doffjobs channel
    I'm glad you got in and are getting some use/fun out of it. At the moment I'm just getting a kick out of watching people from all over the place (Norway, Hungary, Germany, Ontario CA, Lansing MI, San Antonio TX, and a few others) try it out.

Again, thanks for checking it out.
    edited May 2013
    fliporican wrote: »
    Looks good. Interested in designing a web page for a fleet?

Thanks much, but between this thing and my real job I've got like zero extra time.

If you want, get ahold of my fleet-mate darksamus. He's the one who maintains the Nova Core website (at: http://www.nova-coregaming.enjin.com/). He might be able to help or point you in the right direction.