test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

would unlocking top tier ships benefit the KDF?

krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Klingon Discussion
I'm going to open up the debate that I think will need to happen down the line for the future health of the KDF.

I personally believe that Romulans need to be able to fly top tier Klingon ships, and before anyone gets crazy hear me out.

We know that Cryptic is slower to produce KDF ships and content due to the lack of direct revenue from C-store sales.

The Romulan aligned Klingon players are going to boost our voice in that regard, but only to a point. Once they hit cap, the demand will be for new Romulan ships, not new KDF ships, because those ships can be used by both fed and KDF aligned romulans.

This splitting of the population will end up hurting the timely release of KDF top tier ships in the long run. I think with the singularity core mechanic faction identity is still preserved.

The argument of course is why bother rolling a Klingon over a Romulan, but I don't think that argument has merit, as the reason to roll a Klingon is....you want to play a Klingon.

Over the course of the next few months I fear that the current system is going to present it's issues as demand for variety in the top tier on the romulan side become more vocal. If there truly is only 18% of the population playing KDF, then adding a barrier to players that could potentially increase that figure is detrimental to the faction as a whole.

I've been a Klingon player since early acess, went through the dark times and still stuck with my character, I don't see the point in being stubborn and clinging to a restriction when finally things are getting better for the KDF, trying to preserve a factions identity at the expense of it's growth is going to sting down the line.
http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
Post edited by krovan on

Comments

• Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You point about rolling a Klingon because you want to play a Klingon has merit.

I'll counter with ... they roll a Romulan to play as Romulan, and if they want to fly a Klingon ship then they should roll a KDF)... which should have its own ships, and there should be limits to what is shared... otherwise (as has been pointed out numerous times in posts defending uniqueness) it turns into Green vs. Red vs. Blue vs. Green ...

But its not even that, its still Red vs Blue... with a touch of green on each... since Green doesn't exist on its own...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unlocking top tier ships would not benefit anyone and if this ever happens you can rest assured that STO's slow demise has begun, in my opinion.

A few months from now, when all the hype of the new content and new shiny wears down we'll see what the population of the factions will look like.
    The KDF 18% might even grow due to the ability to start as a KDF and because the tutorial and the new missions are so awesome that one could be easily get the Klingon feel and become involved with the faction.
    The Romulan population that is now will most certainly decrease (I'm not saying that a lot of people won't be playing Romulans, but certainly less than the current number when everyone's trying out the new faction) and it is my assumption that people who will remain in the Romulan faction playing their Romulans & Remans will be: the Romulan fanbase, the Star Trek fans and people who genuinely loved the Republic and the experience so much that they decided to stick with it and make their main a Romulan. The big majority if not all of those people will not fly other ships than warbirds. I'm almost certain of it. I don't think those people will boost KDF ship sales. As a huge ST fan, I never fly missmatched ships.

New Romulan warbirds will be on the priority list for new ships in any case, because there are so few of them. Regardless of how high the demand is, because there are still huge gaps in the Romulan ship rooster that need to be filled. I'd expect at least 4 of the next ships to be released to be Romulan anyway. (Temporal Science, Temporal Destroyer, Scimitar and Veteran Ship)

If the T5 restriction is lifted, you might as well opened Pandora's Box in my opinion. If you give T5 KDF ships for Romulans, you have to give T5 Fed. ships for Romulans. Since Romulans would have access to evrything, their ships will need to be availible for everyone.
    Then you can just watch as demands for a Federation Bird of Prey, battlecloaks on all Starfleet ships and availability for any ship to use a singularity core start pouring in, togehther with a list of things that I can't bother mentioning now.

And then we can call this game Starship free for all, because even the last things connecting it to Star Trek would be gone. Noone will have any identity left then. And I can imagine this dissapointing many Trek people that play it to the point of giving up. :(

Personally, I don't have big issues with the release of KDF ships by Crytpic. I could live with couple of them here or there, our ships are good and still get the job done. I'd be satisfied with a fleet Guramba and Kar'fi for the rest of the year. I'd be exalted if they squeeze in a sci.ship in the C-Store! :) But, my largest grype was that the KDF was locked behing 25 Fed. levels and starting at lvl 20. Now that we're a full faction, the ship disparity I can live with if the cost for having more ships is to destroy any identity of the species and factions.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    Unlocking top tier ships would not benefit anyone and if this ever happens you can rest assured that STO's slow demise has begun, in my opinion.

A few months from now, when all the hype of the new content and new shiny wears down we'll see what the population of the factions will look like.
    The KDF 18% might even grow due to the ability to start as a KDF and because the tutorial and the new missions are so awesome that one could be easily get the Klingon feel and become involved with the faction.
    The Romulan population that is now will most certainly decrease (I'm not saying that a lot of people won't be playing Romulans, but certainly less than the current number when everyone's trying out the new faction) and it is my assumption that people who will remain in the Romulan faction playing their Romulans & Remans will be: the Romulan fanbase, the Star Trek fans and people who genuinely loved the Republic and the experience so much that they decided to stick with it and make their main a Romulan. The big majority if not all of those people will not fly other ships than warbirds. I'm almost certain of it. I don't think those people will boost KDF ship sales. As a huge ST fan, I never fly missmatched ships.

New Romulan warbirds will be on the priority list for new ships in any case, because there are so few of them. Regardless of how high the demand is, because there are still huge gaps in the Romulan ship rooster that need to be filled. I'd expect at least 4 of the next ships to be released to be Romulan anyway. (Temporal Science, Temporal Destroyer, Scimitar and Veteran Ship)

If the T5 restriction is lifted, you might as well opened Pandora's Box in my opinion. If you give T5 KDF ships for Romulans, you have to give T5 Fed. ships for Romulans. Since Romulans would have access to evrything, their ships will need to be availible for everyone.
    Then you can just watch as demands for a Federation Bird of Prey, battlecloaks on all Starfleet ships and availability for any ship to use a singularity core start pouring in, togehther with a list of things that I can't bother mentioning now.

And then we can call this game Starship free for all, because even the last things connecting it to Star Trek would be gone. Noone will have any identity left then. And I can imagine this dissapointing many Trek people that play it to the point of giving up. :(

Personally, I don't have big issues with the release of KDF ships by Crytpic. I could live with couple of them here or there, our ships are good and still get the job done. I'd be satisfied with a fleet Guramba and Kar'fi for the rest of the year. I'd be exalted if they squeeze in a sci.ship in the C-Store! :) But, my largest grype was that the KDF was locked behing 25 Fed. levels and starting at lvl 20. Now that we're a full faction, the ship disparity I can live with if the cost for having more ships is to destroy any identity of the species and factions.

You bring up some good points, I hadn't considered the impact the new KDF 1-20 might have on Klingon popularity, as I would agree it is very engaging and likely to keep a player invested more in the KDF as a Klingon than Romulan hybridization would.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As KDF, we don't really need that many ships, a 5tac consoles and 5 fore weapons slot Raptor/Destroyer is needed, and some decent science ships both for the C-store and fleet are also needed. Plus a decent buff to the BOP line due to how outdated they are and the fact now that a whole faction has battlecloaks means there former sacrifices are outdated.

Apart from that uniforms and unique KDF missions is really what the faction needs.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I say no only because to do so would mean all rommies ingame would get the ability and I respect the idea to not allow it to begin with.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P