test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thank You Cryptic for LOR

supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
Thank you Cryptic for LOR. Nice update enjoyed the Romulans.
Now comes the negative.
Before the update I was running character detail and texture at max 200 all other settings were default such as lighting.shadows bloom,lens flares (high is default). Since the update originally on my 32 bit windows and 3gb ram memory I was intermittently getting disconnected and a out of video memory error msg. However when in STF's or FE performance was still smooth.
Now I've updated to 64bit windows 7 8gb ram and now the disconnections have ceased however with bloom, lighting ect all set to low or even off and world textures set to minimum, character texture and detail is 100just running from the shipyard on K-7 to the armoury,the game freezes for 2-3 secs and in missions now its like playing in slow motion.
What have you done to tax my graphics card soo hard that what I was enjoying a high graphics and smooth game before LOR I'm having to play on low graphics and endure short freezes and a slow laggy game.

I've tested fps and in ground missions it's steady at 35 fps and space is 55 fps so that's not the issue.

Running windows 7 64 bit 8GB Ram Ati Radeon 4850 HD graphics card. (Now people are going to say its a old card but it had no issues running this game on high specs before the LOR update) Directx 11. Quad core i5 processor 2,66GHz

I ask again so I can understand what have you done to tax my system ?

I've checked the games specifications on Cryptics website and my system is more than enough according to to the site to be able to handle this game
Post edited by supergirl1611 on

Comments

• Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had the same problem until I found a 'weird' work around scanning Google of under clocking my memory to 1333hz.

I don't know why it works, but it does (for me anyway).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have no idea how to do such a thing struggling to find it on google
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have no idea how to do such a thing struggling to find it on google

When your computer is booting it should tell you what key to press to enter bios (usually F1 or DEL)

When your in the bios screen you can adjust the memory defaults (they vary 1300, 1600 ect)

If its not already set at 1333 you can do this by changing the values, each bios is different so I cant tell you exactly what to do I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thanks for the advice i shall see what can be done. :)
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It could be a memory bottleneck. Interesting find.

I could also add make sure you're not running it in any compatibility mode. I had to run it as such when the launcher refused to connect (A friend of mine gave up trying to install this game after almost a year). I found the ONLY solution to work was to put the launcher into xp mode, get the game installed. But once in game, it would pause or 'stutter' despite my system being more than capable. I too, am running win 7x64 ultimate.

As for the memory issue, if you don't mind experimentation, try a slight overclock. My whole system is overclocked, but only by a small amount, but its because I tweaked all the timings to fit with the cycles, the system just simply never slows down, ever, despite being several years old. I run everything at maximum without issue.

Usually when I build computers, after a while I decide its time to up the CPU or the Video etc.. but on this rig, everything is just so, and when it comes time to upgrade, it'll be a complete system replacement.

All that being said, I cannot understand why its causing such a slow down for you, I am not familiar with that graphics card, perhaps it is overheating? One thing to try is to pop the case and just check the card for dust. You never know :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sadly popping the case is possible for me as its a iMac all in one and only way to get into it is from the front by removing the display and no way am I trying hat on such a expensive piece of equipment.
    I'll try to over click and the compatibility suggestions.

Thx
  • Options
    m0peygoffm0peygoff Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah that's pretty interesting.

I noticed no drop off on my desktop (2nd gen i7, 16gb ram, 650 series nvidia chipset card). I can run well with everything turned up at 40-50 fps.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    m0peygoff wrote: »
    Yeah that's pretty interesting.

I noticed no drop off on my desktop (2nd gen i7, 16gb ram, 650 series nvidia chipset card). I can run well with everything turned up at 40-50 fps.

I too have 16 gig ram, GTX 680 and 2nd gen i7, every other game I have thrown at it runs like a dream, but for some reason STO wont run properly (crashes, freezes, slows down) unless I under clock the memory.

Memory has been tested and replaced and still the same problems.

Overclock doesn't work for me either.
  • Options
    m0peygoffm0peygoff Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I too have 16 gig ram, GTX 680 and 2nd gen i7, every other game I have thrown at it runs like a dream, but for some reason STO wont run properly (crashes, freezes, slows down) unless I under clock the memory.

Memory has been tested and replaced and still the same problems.

Overclock doesn't work for me either.

What's your system temp look like? Maybe a cooling issue?
  • Options
    lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ... Shut up Wesley.

Edit:
    The contents of this post are a direct response to the thread title, and in no way reflect any opinion on the contents of this thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    m0peygoff wrote: »
    What's your system temp look like? Maybe a cooling issue?

Temperatures are all pretty low, never noticed any spikes on the monitoring utility or on bios, but for some reason when memory is clocked above 1333 memory load ramps up to 90% usage when playing sto (and only sto).

I can run crysis and other demanding games on max and it doesn't bat an eyelid.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Figured out my performance issues. Post LOR outputting the game and using my 46 inch t.v as the monitor was causing the slow down. Unplugged and all working as before on high character settings and shadows lighting flares ect.
    Sad that I may have to stop using the t.v as the monitor.
  • Options
    grind3grind3 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    played the previous 2 days without any issues and then today- BAM server not responding and disconnects every 2 friggin minutes, just like the previous week. You have ruined any pleasure in trying to play this broken game. I've been a lifer since STO launched and continued to dump cash into this POS game. I give up.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I was wrong issues still there. 32 bit the game runs fast when in events and missions. crashes intermitantly with out of video error msg this is with display settings set to full screen on screen resolution detailed a bit further down..
    in 64 bit no crashes but the game feels like its running in slow motion. Slow slugglish and a pain to play can't run from K-7 Shipyard to Armoury without lag of couple of secs freeze.
    Have lowered all world and terrain textures to lowest settings, lens flares, bloom, shadows, all low and still sluggish and slow on a 64 bit system.

Note mission performance on 32 bit is not effected by having settings on the default ones.

System specs between 32 bit and 64 bit

32 bit
    i5 quad core processor 2.66GHz 3GB RAM
    Ati Radeon 4850 HD card 2200GB Total Graphics Memory Available Roughly, 512MB dedicated video memory, Atlleast 1700 Shared Memory

64 bit
    i5 quad core processor 2.66GHz 8GB RAM
    Ati Radeon 4850 HD card Total Graphics Memory Available 4346MB Dedicated Video Memory 512MB Shared System Memory 3834MB

Also with the video crashes in 32 bit happens in all these resolutions 2560x1440 1920x1080 1800x 1440 1600x1200. (Other problem any display setting lower than these resolutions i lose a 3rd of the display like a widescreen dvd being played on a widescreen t.v it never fills the whole display)

Note
    My recommended display settings on a 27 inch Imac late 09 are 2560x1440 so the card is supposed to run video, apps, photo's ect in that resolution all be it on a superior OS