test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thank you, Cryptic!

lotusteadragonlotusteadragon Member Posts: 72 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
That's NOT sarcasm. I've been playing the Romulan faction for a few days now, and I'm a Level 30 Commander. I have had so much fun playing the story, and experiencing the Romulan side of the game.

I've always felt the Romulans had a very interesting backstory that wasn't explored very well in the television series', so getting to play the part of a Romulan, one on the cusp of a greater social and political movement within the empire, is just a lot of fun.

The new UI, the tweaks, the small added details that only Trek fans would notice, the outright wholesale changes that have been made, have made this game feel more like Star Trek than it ever has, from the very first day it went online until now. Now I feel like I'm a part of the Star Trek universe, and not just something vaguely Trek-like.

So, for what it's worth, you have my thanks. I really enjoy the results of all of the hard work you've put into this game. That I get to play it for free is a great bonus.

Oh, and as a side note, I love Star Trek: The Final Frontier. Yeah, yeah, it is a terribly flawed movie, but I love the character moments, and some of the set pieces. Anyway, that you've recreated Paradise City, on Nimbus III, just totally made my day. :D

~thelotusteadragon
Lotus_Tea_Dragon_STOBanner_Sig150x500.jpg
Post edited by lotusteadragon on

Comments

• Options
    costello5672costello5672 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yay for positive, happy posts!

I, too, am loving this new stuff!
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's NOT sarcasm. I've been playing the Romulan faction for a few days now, and I'm a Level 30 Commander. I have had so much fun playing the story, and experiencing the Romulan side of the game.

I've always felt the Romulans had a very interesting backstory that wasn't explored very well in the television series', so getting to play the part of a Romulan, one on the cusp of a greater social and political movement within the empire, is just a lot of fun.

The new UI, the tweaks, the small added details that only Trek fans would notice, the outright wholesale changes that have been made, have made this game feel more like Star Trek than it ever has, from the very first day it went online until now. Now I feel like I'm a part of the Star Trek universe, and not just something vaguely Trek-like.

So, for what it's worth, you have my thanks. I really enjoy the results of all of the hard work you've put into this game. That I get to play it for free is a great bonus.

Oh, and as a side note, I love Star Trek: The Final Frontier. Yeah, yeah, it is a terribly flawed movie, but I love the character moments, and some of the set pieces. Anyway, that you've recreated Paradise City, on Nimbus III, just totally made my day. :D

~thelotusteadragon

You sir, read my mind. Word to word, I couldn't have said it better myself even if I wanted to. This is exactly how I feel as well. :)

Cheers!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    philiptoddphiliptodd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree, I have enjoyed playing a romulan. As one who loves to collect all of the different accolades that exist for characters, it makes this doubly fun as I seek to find out what differences exist for romulans who choose to side with the federation and those who side with the Klingons. Nearly all of what has been added makes for a really enjoyable game and allows for end game content characters to end up truly different instead of looking like cookie cutter characters.
    This makes me look forward to seeing all that Cryptic has to bring down the road while bringing a new belief that the developers can begin to effect what existing issues that have popped up within game.
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In preparation for the launch of LoR, I read the Rihannsu series by Diane Duane.

It got me in the mood.

Then I played through the Romulan story arc missions and ... now am a Romulan convert.

You get a real feel for the Romulan people and begin to realize that they are more than the "backstabbing" untrustworthy so commonly believed.

They are an honorable and passionate people who were under the yoke and boot heel of a very corrupt government.

Long live the Romulan Republic.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    supremeheretic36supremeheretic36 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to admit, when I heard about LoR, I didn't know what to expect. While I'm still not happy when playing as Romulans we are technically a subfaction, I really want to say that since I started my Romulan character yesterday, the story so far has been very compelling and I really enjoy it.

I've seen some posts slamming the storyline, but given that the homeworld was destroyed I think it makes all the sense in the world. For those who don't think there's intrigue enough in the story, you're simply mistaken. Romulans are more Romulan than ever.
    Lifetime subber and former STO player from when it didn't suck.

Fed: Astarsha, level 60 tactical officer

KDF: K'tana level 54 tactical officer
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Theyve done an amazing job on the Rommies. Period. I'm more than happy with them! Well done, cryptic :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the majority of the expansion has been top notch.

There are a couple missions that need to be re-worked. There's bugs. And the technical/server problems have been... unfortunate. They do need to clean up their act on that side.

But the majority of the new stuff is really good, and should make for an entertaining next few months in STO.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    unicornsnidgetunicornsnidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for updating the game and adding so much cool, new stuff! :D
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've seen some posts slamming the storyline, but given that the homeworld was destroyed I think it makes all the sense in the world. For those who don't think there's intrigue enough in the story, you're simply mistaken. Romulans are more Romulan than ever.
    The weird part is, they say they want Romulans to be more underhanded and devious, but they keep taking everything their Romulan superiors say to them at face value. For instance, they claim that D'Tan is "joining up" with either the KDF or Starfleet - but plainly that's not the case, as whichever choice you make, you find a Republic captain who chose the other on Virinat. Instead, it's plain that each captain chooses for himself, while still being part of the Romulan Republic. And I think that's brilliant. If D'Tan had openly allied with either Federation or Empire, the other side might feel free to attack him. If he'd stayed completely neutral, that leaves him vulnerable to attack from any quarter, with no help to call for. But as it is, leaving it up to each ship which side they want to declare for, but keeping each ship allied with the Republic as well, he's put both Starfleet and the KDF in a position where they can't attack his forces without biting their own tails, and if the Tal'Shiar come a-calling, he can call for help from both of them.

Sounds very Romulan to me... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png