test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Player ship interior missions

I've had loads of foundry ideas that depend a lot of moving around the player's ship. Problem is, everyone has their own design and even the basics, like engineering, aren't available in the foundry.

What would be great is if the foundry could have a flexible interior map where console positions and doors are mapped out and on each bridge design they hook up to certain objects. So you could have a spawn point, interaction with BOFF and consoles in a flexible generic map that then gets mapped onto whatever the player has selected as their bridge design. That would allow for missions that involve going onto your bridge and around your ship while still maintaining the customisations you've selected on ship.

This realistic, or way to complicated to be done? If so, can we at least more interior maps available on foundry when it comes back up?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• merkhetmerkhet Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It shouldn't be any different than using NPC contacts on social maps.
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I will very much second that it would at least be nice to get the player interior maps into the Foundry.

That said, there is a little wiggle room when it comes to player interiors.

First, the vast majority of player interiors will use the default federation ship interior parts meaning that many of the federation interior maps will be in the same style as the players interior. The only exceptions are the Belfast (Defiant) interior and some of the alien ships, all of which must be purchased and/or won from a lockbox.

Second, most player interiors show only a tiny fraction of the a theoretical ship interior. This means that you can simply imply that the mission is taking place in another part of the ship.

Lastly, while we have no analog for some of the interior locations such as sickbay, player quarters or crew lounge, we do have a copy of main engineering (on the Great Bloom - U.S.S. Warwick map) and the transporter room (a detail object.) We also have many of the player bridges, although I recommend against using these for the player ship as you have no way of knowing which bridge is the player bridge. It's also implied that there are auxiliary versions of most ship facilities on any starship of sufficient size.

The mission I'm currently working on has you running all over the player's ship during a crisis. The only recognizable place they stop is Main Engineering. However they also hit the brig, the astrometrics lab, deflector control, the shuttle bay, and a crew lounge.
  • alexanderd12alexanderd12 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, thegreendraoon1, that sounds like a brilliant mission! Please let us know when it is done:)
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, thegreendraoon1, that sounds like a brilliant mission! Please let us know when it is done:)

Thanks, I hope so. :) It's actually the second part of an arc I'm working on. Feel free to give the first part a go, titled "In the Shadow of MIDAS, Part 1." I recommend you wait a couple weeks though until the Foundry gets fixed.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds really interesting, I look forward to it!