test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where is Dan Stahl?

mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
I'm going to ask this simple question. Where is Dan Stahl? Vacation? With this being STO's largest release or expansion as it has been called, why is the leader of this enterprise conspicuously missing? The current issues with erroneous account bans, server crashes, lag, login queues, and other problems too numerous to mention, why is our leader not present?

Don't get me wrong I love the expansion (when I can play it) and firmly believe that the group at Cryptic have done some totally awesome work on this expansion, but all this good will is getting lost as these technical problems continue to persist and the Executive Producer of this game remains silent on the matter. If Dan is on vacation then why hasn't his boss stepped up to the plate and take some responsibility?

This whole mess stinks of EA and its recent Simcity release debacle. EA at least compensated there subscribers for the downtime. Is Cryptic going to do anything for its paying subscribers? In the last week I have spent as much time trying to get into the game, waiting on load times, getting booted, kicked from PvEs, etc as I have actually played the game.

Please Dan can we have some reassurances that we are making progress? This content is top notch, but if you can't access it, and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel, then it is all for nothing.
Gold Sub since March 2010
Lifetime Sub since June 2010
Post edited by mikefl on

Comments

• crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too busy to come onto the forums, I would expect. Cracking a whip is hard work after all.

Comparing STO to SimCity is laughable. STO had a long beta - closed and open, and with this release there have been numerous, frequent fixes. Can't say the same for SimCity.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "What we'd like to see is Dan Stahl on the moon, and we've been throwing around ideas about how to make that happen. Ideally, Dan Stahl would live in a moon base populated with Android hotties who add an amazing degree of his lunar immersion in the lunar base of galactic hotties. It is just a question of balancing our resources."

*discreetly buys Dan Stahl a Greyhound ticket to Luna, Virginia. Now, I will assign programmers and other folks to work on something unrelated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've always enjoyed Dan's direct interaction with us players and viewed it as being a bit to unique to the MMO genre. Having said that, I think it would be smart if he stayed off the forums until the server stability and bug issues are smoothed out a bit. Not covering for him but I don't see the value in a bunch of people just venting at him. There's no question all of these issues are the STO teams priority right now.

An Engineering report or going on one of the podcasts to address these issues might be more constructive.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He's working his job is not to be on the forums, that's why we have Brandon.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    He's working his job is not to be on the forums, that's why we have Brandon.

And Brandon can't tell us anything because Brandon is the last person working at Cryptic they're going to tell if the island ever sinks.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    I'm guessing he's home by now, but he might still be in the office.
    He was definitely there today though.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »

Are you sure it wasn't his evil mirror universe alternate? Did you check for a goatee?
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dan my man...where art tho??? they= game is almost unplayable at this point. your forums are so sluggish it makes me cry huge tears....are you there? We need help with tihs awsome LoR upgrade....help us Mr. Wizard lol
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »

Maybe he's just an android like that android that replaced him that time. Once you rise the ranks of Cryptic you may get to hold the remote that turns him on and off. Except this time make a gorn android.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    Where is Dan Stahl?

On holiday in the Maldives, counting money? :D :P
    signwidrona.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Too busy to come onto the forums, I would expect. Cracking a whip is hard work after all.

Comparing STO to SimCity is laughable. STO had a long beta - closed and open, and with this release there have been numerous, frequent fixes. Can't say the same for SimCity.

stahl has been doing interviews recently instead of getting his house in order.

and comparing simcity and sto isnt far-fetched as you make it out to be, consider both have a laughable tendancy for silliness, bugs and plenty of design issues. as for sto getting fixes from lor, and since when have we seen a fix for lor recently? a week? they should of gotten a patch ready by now not giving interviews ignoring the problem.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Funny, now people are complaining about his absence when a week ago we were all saying he and the others deserved to take a little break.

How self entitled we all feel eh?
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • simplysimonsimplysimon Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where's Stahldo? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Merry Christmas from all at Clan Hunters: www.clanhuntershq.com
  • teklionbenrashateklionbenrasha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where's Sulu?
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where's Sulu?

Apparently with Dan Stahl
  • polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where's Sulu?

For some reason I got people raging at me over in neverwinter when I asked that same question.
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This reminds me of that whole period where he scouted ou... errr... was working with another company for a brief time. And that he said he would still be around playing the game.

Zone chat consisted of: "I am DSthal!"
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Comparisons to EA? Really?

PWE isn't encouraging you to molest Booth Babes. So cut that TRIBBLE would ya?
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyways......
    Dan is always where he always is during and after a server crash.

Hiding under his desk planning he's great escape! :rolleyes:

Technically speaking , that would be planning his second great escape !
    (one that would actually work out)
  • interestedguyinterestedguy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    Please Dan can we have some reassurances that we are making progress? This content is top notch, but if you can't access it, and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel, then it is all for nothing.

Dan Stahl is not your mommy.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Where's Sulu?

Apparently with Dan Stahl

OH MY!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doing the Scrooge McDuck and swimming in all that filt...... money :P
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe Dan is in a bunker at an undisclosed location. Cryptic has been taking alot of fire (justifiable, imo) lately. :D
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • dakkidedakkide Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where's Stahldo? :)
    Hey how did you add your forum Rihannsu. Hah I purchased the Legacy Pack and have yet to find a way to add.

Nevermind, found it. NO in USerCP like I thought but in "Edit Your Avatar" above :)
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think Dan may have had a loss in his family. It wouldn't be my place to go into a lot of detail but I don't think he's abandoned us. I just think he probably has personal concerns along with helming the expansion feedback meetings, leaving the communication more squarely in the hands of the community team for awhile.

It's just one of those things professionals tend to be mum about, especially as this kind of thing tends to be something most professional people don't want to discuss or are afraid they may discuss too much. There's not really a great way to broach a topic like this with paying customers but since I'm not a Cryptic employee, I suppose I can say that I think Dan's had a very full couple of weeks between LOR and family.

Just send the guy your thoughts and prayers. :-)