test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Mugato fight in "Coliseum" is luck-based

warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
I'm just doing the mission "Coliseum" with my level 45 Fed-Romulan and noticed the arena battles have changed. There was a Mature Mugato in as the third opponent that wasn't there before. I found this battle comes down to whoever gets lucky with damage rolls.

It's damage capability was roughly equal to mine, and with no buffs or heals its all luck who kills who. And it fully healed every time I respawned. After several tries, I got lucky and it ran out of hitpoints before I did.

I'm assuming that "respawn until you get lucky" is not the intended strategy for completing this part of the mission. To that end, I would suggest enabling the healing plants that appear in the sandworm fight in the earlier fights as well.
Post edited by warpangel on

Comments

• asindar1asindar1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Was Slamek (prisoner????) helping you. I have played this one on several characters since LoR has been out and a few times he was not there and it was a tough fight. The ones he was there he was perfect bait for the Mugato's slam and was a easy kill. If Slamek doesn't follow you out to the arena, exit out after you die (you have a few seconds to get it in before the dampening field activates) and restart the mission.
  • jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure what u were using, but even without slamek helping i had a fairly easy time slicing the monkey up with the sword...

Were u standing still in front of him instead of "circling" him while slicing ????
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jivedutch wrote: »
    Not sure what u were using, but even without slamek helping i had a fairly easy time slicing the monkey up with the sword...

^
    This !!!

And "overgrown cave" isn't that hard either if you know "how" :) ..
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Quick tip: as long as you don't move, there are a few seconds after you respawn that you can use your kit abilities. Most likely a glitch, but I was able to buff up enough to beat the monkey. Also tacs can still use the "Lunge" ability even with the kit disabled.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He should not even touch you

I just kung fu fought the entire arena line up
    I was NEVER injured except by worm spit
    Live long and Prosper
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have done this mission countless times and Slamek has never helped me. He's always frozen near the entrance. I had some problems with the Mugato for a while before my 7 year old son though he had an idea. There is a set of bones to the right of the door that leads out of the arena. If you lure him behind it he will no longer be able to touch you and every time he moves forward he will be damaged by the bones. I've tried it once and it worked. I do this every time now and the Mugato doesn't stand a chance.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2013
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    I have done this mission countless times and Slamek has never helped me. He's always frozen near the entrance. I had some problems with the Mugato for a while before my 7 year old son though he had an idea. There is a set of bones to the right of the door that leads out of the arena. If you lure him behind it he will no longer be able to touch you and every time he moves forward he will be damaged by the bones. I've tried it once and it worked. I do this every time now and the Mugato doesn't stand a chance.

And people still joke that kids playing video games dulls them. Awesome solution!

In truth I had little difficulty with this Mugato. My character was Reman and chose a Nausican sword. No need for fancy maneuvers - between hacking and slashing the poor brute I Mind Drained him to death.

The worms held little threat either. I love the Reman mind powers ;)
  • corjetcorjet Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had no problems with this one, just played it a while ago with my Subcommander. One thing I find that can be helpful and that can be a hindrance is to set the away team to a specific location. FYI: This was the first time I did it.

I find it helpful in that your AT members don't aggro other mobs into the fight and 'you' can control what/how you fight to a better degree than without sticking the AT in one spot. One other thing is that it allows me to let the AT get aggro and a bit more importantly to let me move around to get a flanking bonus. I also target a mob that has mobs between it and me, then use my blast assault to great effect. It also lets me go sneak around with a shroud on too.

For me it was a bit of a surprise to be transported, although I probably should have guessed it. I found myself in the arena and then found myself in a battle; with no one but me and my AT. After the first wave I wanted to move into that tube but decided against it since they probably could shoot through it; and because I was directly in front of there they spawned - not a good place to be to control the fight. Not sure exactly where I was but I almost sat my away team on that circular part that opens up lol I saw it open and then moved towards a corner. From there I just sat my AT there and targeted the main mobs with my AT. Then moved around to flank multiple mobs. Sure he was tough, but "Hassan's"(?) team was the worst. That Captain took a while to take down. As with any 'fight' - the more things that you control - increases your chance of victory.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they're talking about the fight in the mission Coliseum, not the fight in Hassan's club on Nimbus.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was using the bat'leth. Always used the bat'leth in that mission on other toons. Maybe the sword is better, I don't know. But since you can't go switch weapons, it has to be beatable with any weapon.

Yes, I circled the Mugato while attacking. It's the obvious thing to do. This did not prevent it from hurting me.

Slamek did not help me. I suppose him helping would make the fight trivially easy, since I expect he has the invincible plot armor most named NPCs tend to have in this game. I've never paid attention to if he was helping me on previous runs, because the opponents were easy enough to manage anyway. If he's supposed to help, would be nice if they made sure he actually does.

I did not have Lunge or Reman mind power either, nothing enabled on tray but basic attacks. And the fight obviously has to be winnable for everyone, not just Reman tactical officers.

I did notice at some point the dampening field occasionally had a bit of a delay after respawn, but I got lucky and killed it the honest way before managing to exploit that. I totally would have exploited it otherwise.
  • mwildermwilder Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just ran it and i always just stand in the door way and let Salmek do all the work, i go AFK fix me a snack and he is done
    Liberty Task Force
    "Liberty, Equality, Justice, Peace & Cooperation"

http://www.libertytaskforce.com
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    warpangel wrote: »
    I'm just doing the mission "Coliseum" with my level 45 Fed-Romulan and noticed the arena battles have changed. There was a Mature Mugato in as the third opponent that wasn't there before. I found this battle comes down to whoever gets lucky with damage rolls.

It's damage capability was roughly equal to mine, and with no buffs or heals its all luck who kills who. And it fully healed every time I respawned. After several tries, I got lucky and it ran out of hitpoints before I did.

I'm assuming that "respawn until you get lucky" is not the intended strategy for completing this part of the mission. To that end, I would suggest enabling the healing plants that appear in the sandworm fight in the earlier fights as well.

use the sword anytime it trys to hold you before pinning you down to hurt your health alot press spacebar to jump it will unlock its hold also generally jump around it using the second attack default number 2/right click i think? it will keep leaving him in a stunned type of position he will rarely attack you at all took me a few trys to use this strategy but worked fine
  • rhinzualrhinzual Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My only advice is to use some good armor for kinetic/physical resist, or preferably that same armor that allows you to regenerate HP slowly (being green or better, obviously).

Also, not sure if they show up during every fight or just the last one, but there are Regenerative Spores that spawn around the edges of the arena, you interact with them and they heal you for like 30 hp or so per second and can very quickly refill your hp.
  • jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    warpangel wrote: »
    I was using the bat'leth. Always used the bat'leth in that mission on other toons. Maybe the sword is better, I don't know. But since you can't go switch weapons, it has to be beatable with any weapon.

Yes, I circled the Mugato while attacking. It's the obvious thing to do. This did not prevent it from hurting me.

I did the mission 3x now since the mugato came in ... all 3 weapons used, all 3x the mugato went down quite fast, i would even say that it is easier to do now, than before LoR.

When fighting melee or ranged against a single opponent circling is always and has always been the default tactic, in just about any game i played since Doom introduced the sidestep/strafing movement (to me at least)....

Standing still just gives the enemy a better target to deal damage too.

The icons on the players stats even display things like "sprint, xx% dodge" in this game, or "33% bonus ranged damage" when crouching.

What the game does not communicate particularly well is how to activate auto-fire, and that it can be used on both ranged & melee combat, same as on the space maps ...
  • janiciellejanicielle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just did this one today and had the problem with Slamek not entering the arena. Don't enter until he gets in and you should be fine.
    "Women, like men, should try to do the impossible. And when they fail, their failure should be a challenge to others."
    -Amelia Earhart
  • myrandawyldonemyrandawyldone Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Currently Im stuck - I didnt pick a melee weapon because I thought I could use the one I had equipped... which was the Fernegi Energy Whip.

Now I cannot defeat the Mugato and Im stuck!
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Currently Im stuck - I didnt pick a melee weapon because I thought I could use the one I had equipped... which was the Fernegi Energy Whip.

Now I cannot defeat the Mugato and Im stuck!

At the very start, even if you load back into the arena, you will have about a second where you can beam up. Just log back in and spam the beam to ship button. Otherwise, you'll have to get help from their tech support.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
  • cantrill1cantrill1 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    trygvar13 wrote: »

lol i can confirm after getting my TRIBBLE handed to me quite a few times that this worked perfectly :)
  • k475uk475u Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cantrill1 wrote: »
    lol i can confirm after getting my TRIBBLE handed to me quite a few times that this worked perfectly :)

The Bones worked well just stay behind them and hit the **** out of this Monkey xd !
  • ewtasewtas Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    k475u wrote: »
    The Bones worked well just stay behind them and hit the **** out of this Monkey xd !

They seem to have fixed this bug... Now there is no way whatsoever to finish this mission anymore. Meaning that unless you build a hardcore melee build you cannot proceed with the storyline mission, also there seems to be a new bug where his melee attacks ALWAYS hit you, you cannot circle or dodge at all anymore.

So yeah GG, game over.
  • cantrill1cantrill1 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ewtas wrote: »
    They seem to have fixed this bug... Now there is no way whatsoever to finish this mission anymore. Meaning that unless you build a hardcore melee build you cannot proceed with the storyline mission, also there seems to be a new bug where his melee attacks ALWAYS hit you, you cannot circle or dodge at all anymore.

So yeah GG, game over.

doesnt work anymore, tried maybe 10 times and die everytime, not sure what to do now
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That big ape have always been there as far as I know.

Schlemek have always helped out me with that part, though he always get stuck when fighting the worm in last match.

Anyway, when Schlemek is along it is a breeze.
    He runs up during cut scene and get aggro. Ape slams him to ground and start do a incapacitating DoT on him, allowing you to flank the ape and slice him to little pieces.

But lets be fair, bugs are sort of Cryptics call card as far as I am concerned. I am always so surprised those few times they release a patch that does not mess up game somehow. :rolleyes:
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • brainstaplerbrainstapler Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Any new tips? Cryptic has still not patched it so Slamek comes out with you or they have patched it so Slamek doesn't come out at all? And they patched it so the Mugato behind the bones trick doesn't work.

Also... Why so much damage when Mugato slams on the ground?

My toon doesn't even heal at all.

Why?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Are you wearing armor with resist physical? That's what the mugato does. If your armor doesn't resist physical, that fight is insane. But if you do, it's not that bad.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2015
    Are you wearing armor with resist physical? That's what the mugato does. If your armor doesn't resist physical, that fight is insane. But if you do, it's not that bad.

I put on an armor with +50 physical resistance rating and it's just impossible. I'm just stinging the mugato with my batleth and it's just whooping me.

With this many complainants over the last 24 hours from at least 2 other players cryptic needs to look into this.
    edited March 2015
    Edit: I beamed out and reentered the game (I thought I would have to start the whole thing over again but beamed back into the arena)... Apparently you can't just rush into the arena and have to let Slamek run in first...

Well. lesson learned
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm playing this on Elite and the Mugato is slapping me around and knocking me down while I am doing next to no damage. Only hitting X allows me to do some damage.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited April 2015
    I'm playing this on Elite and the Mugato is slapping me around and knocking me down while I am doing next to no damage. Only hitting X allows me to do some damage.

I'm curious what is the Mugato's HP is on Elite Difficulty?

[you can find this by clicking on the button by the NPCs box]

As you can only do a max of maybe 100-500hp dmg on a crit with the standard weapons if it has an HP setting of 5k+ I could see this taking awhile otherwise I usually grab a sword from the weapon rack if I don't have one and get behind him as much as possible to get the Flanking dmg bonus. It helps that I have the Roll maneuver bound to my middle mouse button. Unless it has changed Roll gives you [Roll Modifiers = +100% Dodge Chance +900% Avoidence], so whenever it starts to come at me I just roll backwards then move around behind again.

Also with Melee weapons its essential to keep moving left-right, never just stand in 1 spot or he willl pummel you to death.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you outrun Slamek to the arena, he will get stuck and he won't help you. You have to keep pace with him through the tunnel into the arena.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.