test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet D'Deridex builds

shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Want to complain about the turn rate? Thread's over here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=701861

Now, for those of us who still want to fly the D'deridex, what kind of builds will we use?
Post edited by shaanithegreen on

Comments

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some sort of Aux2Batt hybrid? I mean it is a crusier right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had a fair amount of success with a hull tanking/mine-layer build with the T4 D'Deridex in the beta. Extrapolating that to live and the fleet retrofit, conjecturally,

Fore weapons: DHCx2, DCx1, torpedo
    Aft weapons: Turretx2, KCBx1, mine (tractors work wonders)

LTC Tac: TT1 or HYT1, CSV1, CSV2
    ENS Tac: TT1
    CMDR Eng: EPtW1, DEM1 or ET2, EWP1, Aux2SIF3
    ENS Eng: EPtE1
    LTC Sci: HE1, PH2, GW1

Tac consoles: Energy damage x3
    Eng consoles: Neutronium x3, RCS
    Sci consoles: Tachyokinetic, ZPEC, Assimilated

DOffs depend on what you want to do. You definitely want damage control and warp core engineer DOffs for cycling EPtW and EPtE, if you're using tac team doffs skip the second TT1 and go for ET2, you know the drill.

Shield tanking in a warbird sucks for their reduced power levels, and meanwhile quantum absorption pushes your effective hull through the roof. Rely on your shields for soaking alpha strikes and openers, not to sustain you through an entire fight. Focus on alpha striking, then debilitating enemies (and forcing them to blow survivability cooldowns) and repositioning while cloaked.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    theodrim wrote: »
    I had a fair amount of success with a hull tanking/mine-layer build with the T4 D'Deridex in the beta. Extrapolating that to live and the fleet retrofit, conjecturally,

Fore weapons: DHCx2, DCx1, torpedo
    Aft weapons: Turretx2, KCBx1, mine (tractors work wonders)

LTC Tac: TT1 or HYT1, CSV1, CSV2
    ENS Tac: TT1
    CMDR Eng: EPtW1, DEM1 or ET2, EWP1, Aux2SIF3
    ENS Eng: EPtE1
    LTC Sci: HE1, PH2, GW1

Tac consoles: Energy damage x3
    Eng consoles: Neutronium x3, RCS
    Sci consoles: Tachyokinetic, ZPEC, Assimilated

DOffs depend on what you want to do. You definitely want damage control and warp core engineer DOffs for cycling EPtW and EPtE, if you're using tac team doffs skip the second TT1 and go for ET2, you know the drill.

Shield tanking in a warbird sucks for their reduced power levels, and meanwhile quantum absorption pushes your effective hull through the roof. Rely on your shields for soaking alpha strikes and openers, not to sustain you through an entire fight. Focus on alpha striking, then debilitating enemies (and forcing them to blow survivability cooldowns) and repositioning while cloaked.
    I guess this would work for PvE.

This is going to soak exactly nothing in PvP as far as alpha strikes go. You have zero shield resistance abilities. You have only 1 copy of PH, so your window of TB vulnerability is 30s wide.
    edited May 2013
    It's probable that we will see an A2B hybrid as snoggymack22 mentioned. There are some nuances to using a Warbird that makes a pure A2B feel like a waste.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    redricky wrote: »
    I guess this would work for PvE.

This is going to soak exactly nothing in PvP as far as alpha strikes go. You have zero shield resistance abilities. You have only 1 copy of PH, so your window of TB vulnerability is 30s wide.

As I said, that's conjecture and extrapolation, based upon my experiences in the T4 D'Deridex on beta. That's intended as a boilerplate, and a starting point from which those participating in the conversation can work.

To that I'll add, shield tanking in a warbird is extremely substandard. Warbirds have decent shield modifiers, but lack the power to get the full bonus from shield power and the aux to fuel heals and hardening. What warbirds do have, and in particular the D'Deridex, are the hull points (and quantum absorption) to hull tank decently which works nicely considering the shields-offline effect of cloak.

Baseline, you'll be forced to choose between shield and aux batteries, depending upon preference. Maybe, with warp core engineer procs, an RMC or enhanced plasma manifold, and plasmionic leech or MACO shield, you'll get the energy to have workable shield and aux power.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
    edited May 2013
    It's probable that we will see an A2B hybrid as snoggymack22 mentioned. There are some nuances to using a Warbird that makes a pure A2B feel like a waste.
    What is an A2B hybrid?
    As I said, that's conjecture and extrapolation, based upon my experiences in the T4 D'Deridex on beta. That's intended as a boilerplate, and a starting point from which those participating in the conversation can work.

To that I'll add, shield tanking in a warbird is extremely substandard. Warbirds have decent shield modifiers, but lack the power to get the full bonus from shield power and the aux to fuel heals and hardening. What warbirds do have, and in particular the D'Deridex, are the hull points (and quantum absorption) to hull tank decently which works nicely considering the shields-offline effect of cloak.

Baseline, you'll be forced to choose between shield and aux batteries, depending upon preference. Maybe, with warp core engineer procs, an RMC or enhanced plasma manifold, and plasmionic leech or MACO shield, you'll get the energy to have workable shield and aux power.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ask7SlB4gHardEdrQVFCTk5ocTBoc25iUmtWNWY4WVE#gid=0

OK, take that sheet, play with it. The loss of base subsystem power is not going to truly prevent a Warbird at 50 from hitting the shield res cap.

If you're willing to bring in the RMC or EPM or leech then you need to take a look at the Warbird consoles. They have 2 of the most powerful shield res and shield heal options in the game.

You played PvE on the test server? Tell me more about how you'll hull tank in PvP. (Just read that in Willie Wonka's voice.)
    edited May 2013
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm running an Aux2Bat build on my Ha'apax (Tribble server) and having a lot of fun with it. The most important skill to learn for flying a Romulan ship is how to manage your power levels...especially on a cruiser.

My signature picture is from that build.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
  • malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What is an A2B hybrid?

Modified Aux2Batt cruiser build. Especially if you have the consoles from the D'ridthau and the retrofit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    OK, take that sheet, play with it. The loss of base subsystem power is not going to truly prevent a Warbird at 50 from hitting the shield res cap.
    You missed the "...and aux power..." part. With consumables, or an elaborate combination of RMT items (more in a second) you can push one or the other to max, but you won't get the consistent, workable, power levels in both you need to get the most out of shield tanking.
    If you're willing to bring in the RMC or EPM or leech then you need to take a look at the Warbird consoles. They have 2 of the most powerful shield res and shield heal options in the game.
    It should tell you something that you must rely upon an elaborate combination of RMT items that amount to 5K+ Zen, just to get warbird shield tanking to parity with Fed/KDF ships before you account for their access to many of the same RMT items.

Spock's Brain.
    edited May 2013
    Modified Aux2Batt cruiser build. Especially if you have the consoles from the D'ridthau and the retrofit.
    Let me ask again, what is a hybrid or modified Aux2Batt build? What do you consider a "standard" A2B build and what makes something a hybrid? Please explain, at the very least, in terms of boff and doff layout.
    You missed the "...and aux power..." part. With consumables, or an elaborate combination of RMT items (more in a second) you can push one or the other to max, but you won't get the consistent, workable, power levels in both you need to get the most out of shield tanking.

It should tell you something that you must rely upon an elaborate combination of RMT items that amount to 5K+ Zen, just to get warbird shield tanking to parity with Fed/KDF ships before you account for their access to many of the same RMT items.
    I missed nothing. I saw the part where you think you can't maintain high shields and aux (which you can, easily) and that the answer is hull tanking.

You're going to have to set your entire misinformed opinion on power levels aside for a minute and explain exactly how hull tanking is viable in PvP.

This ship is a stinker for PvP for a number of reasons, just not the reasons you state.
    edited May 2013
    Shield tanking in a warbird sucks for their reduced power levels

I'm just going to let others deal with the rest of your post, but I just want to step in here.

1) You took zero shield resistance powers. Why did you not take EPTS?
    2) Did you know there is a singularity core that adds +5 to +15 shield power depending on your singularity power level?
    3) Plasmonic Leech, MACO Shield.

If you are unable to hit both 125 weapons and 125 shield power after using some or all of the above you are doing something drastically wrong.

EPTS +20ish +15 Singularity bonus +16 (to 20 IIRC, but we'll use 16) Plas Leech +10 MACO = +61 power to shields.
  • tenkendotenkendo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=rommietken_0

The two empty console slot are taken by the d'deri retro/refit console set.

I would basically alpha, GW, EWP, phase through them enough to drop EWP on them, then SingJump away the recloak. So they are dealing with my alpha damage then GW+EWP+Jump Sing damage and holds. Circle around and repeat minus Singjump and phase sine they are most likely not up again.
  • stealthriderstealthrider Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been taking my non-fleet D'deri into PvP the past couple of days. It's been rough, but not as bad as you'd think.

I'm still waiting on getting my Technician doffs, so I'm not using an A2B build yet but that is my goal. Currently I'm running the following.

TT1, CRF1, APO1
    TT1
    EPtS1, RSP1, Aux2SIF 2, Aceton Beam 3(placeholder; will be changed to DEM 3 soon as I can get it)
    EPtS1
    HE1, TSS2, VM1

Four Plasma DHCs up front (been switching between that and two DHCs/two singles; not sure which is the better option), four turrets rear. Damage type is also a placeholder, but I figure for now I should take advantage of dot stacking.

Consoles:
    2x RCS, 1x Neutronium
    2x Field Gen, 1x Singularity Projection
    3x Plasma Infusers
    Will replace either a field gen or an infuser with the Tachyokinetic once I can get it.

Not exactly an optimal setup, but it hasn't been terrible. The singularity powers help quite a bit with its maneuverability, specifically jump and shadows. The projection console is *beastly*. It's like a supercharged grav well, and it's awesome. I think talking doom and gloom for the D'deri is a bit premature. It has its place, even if its a marginal one.
  • zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like the big D as an engineer and love the BOFF layout. I am still working up my build and as a returning player was attracted to this thread for tips. However, it has opened up the door to understanding the current Aux2Bat builds and I find that I am upset. A2B kills build diversity and turns every cruiser into a cookie cutter, battery spaming, always maxed out... *sigh*

Seriously, does anyone think its working as intended? Or is it an exploit built off an unintended DOFF power synergy they are liable to nerf soon?

I am tempted to say I like the ship because it doesn't A2B well but why try anything else if you are sub par because of it...