test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

down time

scooterkhanscooterkhan Member Posts: 29 Arc User
is it normal to have a 2 hour downtime every day ?

or is this just because of the new patch ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"SWEET JESUS ITS TAKING LONG ENUFF"
Post edited by scooterkhan on

Comments

• omegasignasomegasignas Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    likely they have a huge backlog of bugs to fix since the update, and taking on a few each day instead of trying to fix it all at once and breaking more in the process, this slower means, is more through, but don't quote me, its all in theory
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yes it's kind of "normal" after every new Season Patch ... but a few weeks from now it should be just the weekly Thursday-Downtime ... if not that's not "normal" :)
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Welcome to
    STAR TREK OFFLINE

-=Legacy of Romulus=-

Special server Maitenence editon

Very rare purple box set with an extra hour of downtime
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes, I assumed there must have been downtimes daily because every day I got home from work after LoR was launched I had to download a new 132MB patch....I hope this downtime is so they can fix that horrible ending battle in Devil's Choice mission at the end of the Romulan storyline.

I am not saying its too difficult, all I am saying is there are way to many ships in it and how do I know this? Well my sound card can't process the sounds of the battle properly because there are TO MANY SHIPS!!! :rolleyes::eek: and that alone says that I am dead right on this.

Make the battle as difficult as you want Cryptic, but for the love of a decent Star Trek battle allow me to hear what is happening when I am in that battle.

I can not hear the computer telling me enemy shields are down...just clicks and static

I can not hear my weapons firing or any weapons firing...just clicks and static

In fact all I can hear is clicks and static because there are TO MANY SHIPS in one area, which is a classic foundry rule 101 never put to many ships in a battle, at least I thought it was...:rolleyes:
  • tucker84tucker84 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe in a few weeks it will get back to the 1/ week downtime.

Why the female romulan doesn't have the female movement animation? I hope they will correct it.

(Sorry, i am not a native speaker.)
  • aphantasmaphantasm Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am not saying its too difficult, all I am saying is there are way to many ships in it and how do I know this? Well my sound card can't process the sounds of the battle properly because there are TO MANY SHIPS!!! :rolleyes::eek: and that alone says that I am dead right on this.

I don't know if it was that one of another. I did one with so many freaking fighters that I died like 10 times before I finally killed the mission objective. I was getting more damage than I was able to repair using the skills my Bridge Officers had, as well as the Buffs that I had stockpiled from drops.
  • nafeasonto1nafeasonto1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Please don't believe anyone man, I have been around since closed beta. Yes this is quite normal for this game.

Unfortunately since the merger of Perfect World and Cryptic my message board forum has been reset.

Only way i can prove I was in closed beta is in my account.

But yeah, this is never going to change.
  • horkathanehorkathane Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its called memory leaks. The reason any Information Technology environment needs to be rebooted daily is because they are losing resources and before the shard degrades to a crawl they need to reboot until they can fix the memory leaks. Not processing power, not storage related, but memory.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Legendary Horka Thane
    1999 Tribes 1
    Infamous TurreNt Camp ( if you dont know you are not Legendary )
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aphantasm wrote: »
    I don't know if it was that one of another. I did one with so many freaking fighters that I died like 10 times before I finally killed the mission objective. I was getting more damage than I was able to repair using the skills my Bridge Officers had, as well as the Buffs that I had stockpiled from drops.

It is the one where you are defending New Romulas against a massive and I mean MASSIVE Elachi attack...I believe it is titled Devil's Choice and there are countless threads complaining about the difficulty of this battle. However my complaint is not with difficulty, that I can live with as I like trying different ship equipment, boff skills, battle strategies, etc, but I also really like hearing battles, everything in the battle...:(
  • nafeasonto1nafeasonto1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    horkathane wrote: »
    Its called memory leaks. The reason any Information Technology environment needs to be rebooted daily is because they are losing resources and before the shard degrades to a crawl they need to reboot until they can fix the memory leaks. Not processing power, not storage related, but memory.

And after 3 years this is still happening on basically a daily basis?
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lol, I was reading the maintenance thread when I suddenly found a post I wanted to reply to. And when I noticed the quote button was gone, I realized it was over! :o

And one hour ahead of schedule, too. :eek:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • acylionacylion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Downtime is not normally on a daily basis. I've been playing Cryptic games since City of Heroes. I was here for Champions Online, I was in STO closed beta... yes, I know someone else said this is a daily thing. They're exaggerating.

But...

They're not entirely wrong. Cryptic's not known for good server connectivity and stability. And when something breaks, it breaks hard.

You have to understand, we're not just dealing with the Legacy of Romulus expansion here. That's one reason for downtime, but another reason is the Neverwinter open beta.

Champions, STO and Neverwinter are all based out of the same datacenter, which I believe is in Boston. And they share some infrastructure. Remember the downtime we had before Legacy of Romulus? Those were problems caused by Neverwinter. And I honestly don't think the Neverwinter load problems are entirely sorted out.

So you have the Neverwinter launch and the STO expansion launch at once.

With that said, the frequent downtime is Cryptic frantically trying to fix the problems. I mean, really, they don't want to bring the game down either. They want our money, after all. They KNOW having downtime is bad for business.

It's not like it's some kind of evil conspiracy. Just...not enough resources, bad network code, and so on.
  • horkathanehorkathane Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Obviously...well I dont want to say anything against a programming team I dont know but I have been working in IT for 17 yrs, started out in Desktop support and now I own my own consulting company where I focus on VMware virtualization of data centers.

I have seen third party sql environments that have been rebooting for years and then they ask me to come in and throw insane hardware at the problem and it doesn't fix the issue.

Then there are the internal politics of the Infrastructure side verses the programming group. The IT side usually takes a back seat since they are considered a resource where the programming group is apart of the revenue stream so we get silenced, the problem persists until the programming team has run out of time and excuses and THEN FINALLY THEN we Infrastructure guys get listened to.

Anyway, didnt mean to get all into that TRIBBLE. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Legendary Horka Thane
    1999 Tribes 1
    Infamous TurreNt Camp ( if you dont know you are not Legendary )
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its fairly normal for a game that has just launched its first major expansion, most MMOs have daily downtime at release until the devs get the major bugs and memory leaks locked down and the servers in a state to stay stable for more than a day , aka no 20 second lag everywhere.