test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Purpose of Reputation

bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Reputation System
Omega reputation works very well as a progression system because of it's design.

Step 1) Partake in content to gain the marks. You can choose the difficulty level based upon your current gear and overall game knowledge/skill. This is the grind or progression portion.

Step 2) Complete the grind and acquire the gear reward(s). During this phase you can easily see the difficulty of the content become lowered due to the innate high plasma resist of your new ship shields or the capability to instantly remodulate on the ground.

Step 3) Farm the content for further rewards. Even by using soley PuGs elite STFs are still my best source of dilithium with active play. This is made even better when I have all that shiney gear to make the content easier/faster.

So we have progression, gearing up, and we end with farming. Does this sound familiar to anyone with previous MMO/RPG experience? It should as it forms the basic style or design of endgame systems. Granted STO is much more casual about it's implementation but the overall style remains the same, atleast so far as omega reputation goes.

Romulan reputation is a different beast. It is primarily styled as a story progression and more for those who care about lore, space bunny tagging, and accolade hunting. That is fine as it is not really my style but to each their own.

Now enter Tholian reputation. At first I assumed (mistakenly) it would follow one of those two paths. It does not. It is simply tacked on and adds nothing to the endgame aside from another form of progression one must grind. This disappoints me because it has such potential.

Option 1: Restore the fleet marks to Nukara. Their are two different versions of EV ground suits you can get from the reputation but once you get them what is the point of having them? If the fleet marks are restored to the Nukara rewards then they will serve a purpose of increasing the speed/efficiency/whatever of gaining fleet marks on Nukara.

Option 2: Tweak the space set to be highly effective against the Crystaline Entity. Perhaps it will be an alternative farming option to ESTFs for dilithium if this is done. Built in anti-proton resist would be a start.

If neither of these are done all Tholian Reputation will be is a stupid grind/progression that players will do solely for the purpose of getting to the end of it and it will add nothing of note to increase the amount of 'endgame' in STO. Instead it simply expands the amount of progression inside the game. Hope this makes some sense.
Post edited by bareel on

Comments

• Options
    mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They could be preparing for the future. They might add several Tholian themed STFs to the game at some point. That's the way MMO xpacks work: release the big patch, fix all the mysterious bugs that popup after the big patch, then add tweaks and adjustments over the next 5 to 6 weeks until the next big patch.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The purpose of the Reputation systems is to make the player grind more, invest more and thus generate more profit for Cryptic. Simple as that...
  • Options
    darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The sole purpose for the whole reputation system is to give you a goal to work towards, unfortunately the grind is so long that it especially hurts the already miserable PvP in this game more.

For PVE, doesnt matter so much.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think I explained it properly.

By the time you gain the rewards from Nukara Strike Force Reputation (Space Set and/or EV Sets) you no longer have any use for them. They do not help you farm anything at all.

Conversely the Omega Reputation gear (Maco Space Set FTW) helps you run ESTFs faster and easier to farm purple rocks. Their is a purpose at least to getting the gear.

The Nukara gear is all a waste. It does not help you farm fleet marks on Nukara, they are not there anymore. It does not help you farm purple rock from the Crystal space monster, other gear is far superior for doing that. Aside from another free +5 power from the uni console anyway. This is a complete and total waste. What on earth does one do with a fancy EV set? Nothing.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mondoid wrote: »
    They could be preparing for the future. They might add several Tholian themed STFs to the game at some point. That's the way MMO xpacks work: release the big patch, fix all the mysterious bugs that popup after the big patch, then add tweaks and adjustments over the next 5 to 6 weeks until the next big patch.

You have too much faith in them. The experimental warp core doff assignment has a slight TRIBBLE up in the 3rd and 4th slot which I reported. Then I looked at the other experimental building assignments which are much older and discovered they also have TRIBBLE ups (Ex. require sci doff but success on an engineering doff). Some bugs never go away.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree that the Nukara rep's rewards all seems kind of bleh. I'll take it to tier two for the first two passives, and that's probably it. If I accumulate 500 more Narks someday I might buy the console.

Omega and Rom rep offer me things in tier five that I want. Costume unlocks in the former and a flamethrower that I'm still waiting for in the latter.

And I do appreciate the way the rep system takes randomness out of the equation and turns these things into goals that I can make very clear progress toward. I don't mind the time-gating too much as I don't plan to stop playing. Would be nice if hypos, shield charges, and regenerators stacked to 250 like commodities, though.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree that - at the moment, unless Season 8 brings in some more Tholian content and thus some additions to Nukara Strikeforce - Nukara is the weakest of the three main Reps we have right now. Besides the equipment, which not everyone will want, the only things of value are the Passives, as you said.

Omega gives you costumes and duty officers.

New Rom has vanity items and reinforcements.

Nukara doesn't really have anything that says "Here I am, come boost your Strikeforce Rep and get me!"
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    exsteeleexsteele Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This post reminds me of a gripe I kinda have with the reputation system (particularly Omega), and it goes something like this...

"Ohz noes, t3h BORG r back!"

"Okay, what do we do?!"

"Well, we have all these cool new weapons and gadgets and stolen tech we can use against them..."

"Okay, great, I'll take them!"

"Not so fast. You have to stop the Borg 500 times before we give you any of it."

"Wait, you're going to send me to fight the Borg to get the gear I need to defeat the Borg?"

"Yup."

"... >_<"
  • Options
    saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The current rep system is more reliable and useful than, say, grinding the same STF ten times hoping you randomly get one drop to pick up one piece of coveted gear. Also, the stuff you earn through the rep systems benefits you anywhere in the game. Not just STFs. Story missions, patrol missions, pvp, grinding, featured episodes, no limit. Anything that gives your ship or ground game an extra edge, I'm all in favor for. Not to mention, when you do accomplish tier five, you score rewards. When I finished Rommie Rep last week I got a huge, huge surplus of dilithium, Rommie marks, and skill points. I'm not talking a mere three or four digit reward either.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    saboreth wrote: »
    The current rep system is more reliable and useful than, say, grinding the same STF ten times hoping you randomly get one drop to pick up one piece of coveted gear. Also, the stuff you earn through the rep systems benefits you anywhere in the game. Not just STFs. Story missions, patrol missions, pvp, grinding, featured episodes, no limit. Anything that gives your ship or ground game an extra edge, I'm all in favor for. Not to mention, when you do accomplish tier five, you score rewards. When I finished Rommie Rep last week I got a huge, huge surplus of dilithium, Rommie marks, and skill points. I'm not talking a mere three or four digit reward either.

Double Edged Sword.

While it does provide access others didn't, it also creates a problem that after people completed their reputations, they don't return. Just look at the STF channels, they are empty, when they use to be highly active.

But it was better to wait months for certain STF gear. It took me literally 10 months before I finished my first set.
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Double Edged Sword.

While it does provide access others didn't, it also creates a problem that after people completed their reputations, they don't return. Just look at the STF channels, they are empty, when they use to be highly active.

But it was better to wait months for certain STF gear. It took me literally 10 months before I finished my first set.

I preferred the old way too. you could get the mk xi very easily, and mk xii was kind of like a vanity item, that you did not really need, you just wanted it. all they needed to do. they could have easily solved the problem with adding datachip requirements for the elite stuff. but then they could not get so many dilithium sinks in :S plus they would not have a timegate, that forces new players to return every day to fill in stuff, making their stats look nicer :(

while I appreciate the fact that now you definately get the gear you might want, the intentions and execution is shady

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    while I appreciate the fact that now you definately get the gear you might want, the intentions and execution is shady

How else were they going to motivate people to spend money on zen to convert into dilithium to pay for those ridiculously amped up item costs?